TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-13-2010, 12:50 PM   #91
unitron

New version of the Rosewill RC-203?

The Rosewill RC-A-SATA-IDE

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16812119257

(currently $15 with free shipping)

seems to be the successor to the apparently now discontinued "legendary" Rosewill RC-203

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16812206001

I got one and it's *very* similar to the more expensive Addonics ADSAIDE, same chipset as the newer version of that Addonics, the Marvell 88SA8052 (previous version of the Addonics had the Marvell 88SA8040).

Like the Addonics, it has a jumper block for Master, Slave, or Cable Select.

Unlike the Addonics the jumper block is on the IDE side.

Like the Addonics it has an unshrouded 40 pin IDE header and uses a floppy drive-type 4 pin power connector, and comes with a Berg to Molex adapter that lets you use regular 4 pin hard drive power plugs.

(like the Addonics it also seems to have a place where you can solder in your own LED, *unlike the Addonics it has the polarity indicated.* I haven't yet tested either to see if they'll actually drive an LED)

*edit Dec. 15, 2010 I was mistaken, the Addonics also has a polarity indicator for the non-existant LED.
It's just like a plus sign, only smaller. A lot smaller.
I discovered this while trying to move the jumper header around to the front of the Addonics where it should have been all along.
*end edit*

So far it seems to work in Series 1 and Series 2 standalones, and, in concert with an Addonics ADSAIDE, in a dual (SATA) drive setup in either S1 or S2.

==================================================
December 15, 2010
I just heard from Koutech. The IO-ASA120 uses the same chipset (perhaps different stepping), the Marvell 88SA8052, as the new Rosewill and the later version Addonics. Trying to justify to myself the expense of buying a couple with which to play.

==================================================
January 1, 2011

Well, I bought a couple of those Koutech IO-ASA120 adapters from newegg for about $20 + $2 shipping* to experiment with.

They don't have any LEDs, but they do have a Master/Slave/CableSelect jumper, and they're completely enclosed.

They work in a Series 1 standalone, one drive or two.

They work in a Series 2 standalone dual tuner (TCD649080), one drive or two.

The pictures of it on newegg when I ordered were of the prototype (I've talked to Koutech tech support, and they may have given them some newer pictures by now). On the ones I got the 4 pin power part is upside down relative to the picture and to the way IDE drives are, but if you put the plug in the only way it fits, the right wires connect to the right places.

This thing sticks out of the back of the drive more than the other designs (depth not counting the part that sticks into the SATA drive is 1.25 "), and that may be a problem in some TiVos--you'll probably have to mount the drives in a Series 1 "backwards" to keep from being right up against the unshielded power supply, and that'll mean needing a longer 40 conductor 40 pin IDE cable and extensions for the power cable.

I've been in touch with Koutech tech support both by email and by phone, and they've been co-operative and eager to help.

*I had to order each one separately to get that shipping price. Trying to order both together bumped the shipping up to $6 or $8, some weirdness about the weight.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011

Last edited by unitron : 01-01-2011 at 01:02 AM. Reason: add info, edit date, correct typo, correct mistake/wrong info add snarky remark about M/S/CS jumper block
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 01:57 PM   #92
unitron

Any dual SATA drive success stories?

I've noticed in my experiments that adapters that work if you're only installing one drive can be finicky if you're putting in 2 SATA drives. Some, for instance, without specific jumper settings for cable select, only work jumpered as Master and Slave on a 40 conductor cable, and if used on the 80 conductor cables they choke.

I'm looking to put 2 1TB drives in a TCD649080, and would like to be sure I've got 2 of the right adapters before I MFSadd the second drive to the first and endanger the recordings on the first drive if the combination of the 2 doesn't work. Even if I MRV everything to my other dual tuner first, that's a lot of time and work down the drain if I wind up having to re-image a single drive and re-MRV everything back.

edit 01-01-2011

In answer to my own question...

Well, I got a couple of WD1001FALS Caviar Blacks at the Best Buy Black Friday price, the twinbreeze bracket kit (with fan, IDE cable, and powertrip delay), and a couple of LK-13415 adapters from NSIoutlet.com (who turned out to be WOWparts, who are partsdomainauction on eBay), and so far it's all working fine, although with all that storage space to search through menu access seems a bit slow.

Last edited by unitron : 01-01-2011 at 12:38 AM. Reason: answering my own question
Old 12-22-2010, 05:42 PM   #93
dbthornton

Did it work?: No
TiVo Model: Pioneer 810h
Hard drive model:WD SATA Green 750GB
Adapter retail name:Kingwin adp-06
Purchased from / Price:microcenter 14.99
Chipset on the adapter: RX 100?

Tivo would boot but would occasionally (and reliably) freeze up. Sometimes it would run for 12 hours or more, sometimes it would freeze after an hour or less.
Tried it in my XP computer and it doesn't work there either, boots fine but copying locked up the computer.

I bought one of the wowparts Ebay adapters (LK-13415) with the Jmicron chipset and will see if that works.

Does it matter in WinMFS if you copy the drive with the adapter on or off? I know off is faster but does that "confuse" the drive?

Thanks!

DBT
dbthornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 07:19 PM   #94
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbthornton View Post

Tivo would boot but would occasionally (and reliably) freeze up. Sometimes it would run for 12 hours or more, sometimes it would freeze after an hour or less.
Tried it in my XP computer and it doesn't work there either, boots fine but copying locked up the computer.

I bought one of the wowparts Ebay adapters (LK-13415) with the Jmicron chipset and will see if that works.

Does it matter in WinMFS if you copy the drive with the adapter on or off? I know off is faster but does that "confuse" the drive?

Thanks!

DBT
I assume you bought that Kingwin before you saw the post about it

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...24#post7775324

on page 2 of this thread/topic, which raises the question of whether you've been through this and other threads here which discuss Western Digital "Green" drives and the "Intellipark" feature/bug and how to disable it.

Old 12-22-2010, 09:11 PM   #95
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01sporty View Post
Did it work?:No
TiVo Model:HR10-250
Hard drive model:WD3200AVVS
Adapter retail name:Kingwin ADP-06
Purchased from / Price:Newegg ~$10
Chipset on the adapter:GL830

It never went to the Welcome screen. Just a frantic pattern of blinking leds.

Try #2:

For the second try I got one of the eBay units that worked for everyone else.
The WinMFS had seemed to go well with the previous adapter so I was fairly sure I had a good image on the drive. I plugged in the new adapter and installed. On powering it up, it immediately went the the Welcome screen so I figured all was well. I had done a lot of recording in the week waiting for the new adapter so I did another WinMFS.

Did it work?:Nope
TiVo Model:Same HR10-250
Hard drive model:Same WD3200AVVS
Adapter retail name:Pata&Sata 863
Purchased from / Priceartsdomauction ~$6
Chipset on the adapter:JM20330

On both tries it never went to the Welcome screen. Just a frantic pattern of blinking leds. Didn't look good so I pulled the plug - again.

At this point I got a Blue Caviar and had the whole thing done in 2-1/2 hours.

Question: I'd like to use the WD3200AVVS in another application but windows doesn't want to recognize it since it's had the WinMFS thing done to it. Can anyone tell me how to return the drive to a state that it can be partitioned and formatted???

Use the Windows program Computer Mangement under the control panel to get the drive ready for wirdows.

Old 12-22-2010, 09:43 PM   #96
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
Use the Windows program Computer Mangement under the control panel to get the drive ready for wirdows.
Alternatively, boot from the MFS Live CD with only that hard drive attached and dd /dev/zero to the drive after using hdparm -N /dev/whereeverthedriveis to make sure there isn't a Host Protected Area on the drive. Series 1s like to add them and some GiGaByte motherboards from a few years ago like to put particularly stubborn ones on to have a place for a BIOS backup (in spite of having dual BIOS chips on the motherboard).

Old 12-22-2010, 09:46 PM   #97
dbthornton

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
I assume you bought that Kingwin before you saw the post about it

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...24#post7775324

on page 2 of this thread/topic, which raises the question of whether you've been through this and other threads here which discuss Western Digital "Green" drives and the "Intellipark" feature/bug and how to disable it.
I did see the post, but thought that it might have had something to do with the model of Tivo being upgraded. Some adapters seem to work in some cases but not others. I was under some time pressure and Microcenter was the closest store to get one.

I did forget to mention that I ran wdidle before I copied the drive. Good thing to reinforce about the WD green drives though.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:55 PM   #98
unitron

Quote:
I did see the post, but thought that it might have had something to do with the model of Tivo being upgraded. Some adapters seem to work in some cases but not others. I was under some time pressure and Microcenter was the closest store to get one.

I did forget to mention that I ran wdidle before I copied the drive. Good thing to reinforce about the WD green drives though.
Must be nice to live somewhere that has stores where you can go in and buy things like this after having had the opportunity to eyeball them up close, and be able to get them *now* instead of waiting for the mailman. Somewhere where there's even a chance of being able to return one that doesn't work in the application you wanted it for without a lot of hassle and having to pay the return shipping.

Oh well, welcome to the database of what doesn't work (also know as the legion of frustration). You may have saved someone else from disappointment and expense.

Old 12-23-2010, 02:13 AM   #99
unitron

Quote:

Thanks!

DBT
I forgot to answer the last part of this post.

If your adapter is working properly, then neither the drive nor the IDE controllers of either the motherboard or the Tivo should realize that it's there.

The drive should think it's connected to a SATA controller (you might want to jumper the drive to limit it to SATA 1--1.5 G--so that it doesn't waste any electrons and microseconds negotiating), and the IDE controllers should think that they're talking to a PATA drive (although at this point I've come to consider all types as PITA drives : - ).

Test the drive and the adapter on your computer's IDE controller first to make sure it at least works there, then go ahead and save some time doing the transfer with it hooked up as SATA, then back to the adapter for your Tivo trial run (and, let us hope, ultimate success).

Old 12-31-2010, 12:56 PM   #100
dbthornton

Did it work?: yes
Adapter retail name:P/N: LK-13415
Purchased from: eBay $6.77 including shipping sellerid: partsdomauction
Chipset on the adapter: Jmicron 20330

Works great, someone mentioned it feels a little flimsy but connections are strong. Just attach IDE and power cables to adapter first.

On to the Tivo HD!
Old 01-01-2011, 12:26 AM   #101
unitron

Quote:
Did it work?: yes
Adapter retail name:P/N: LK-13415
Purchased from: eBay $6.77 including shipping sellerid: partsdomauction
Chipset on the adapter: Jmicron 20330

Works great, someone mentioned it feels a little flimsy but connections are strong. Just attach IDE and power cables to adapter first.

On to the Tivo HD!
I use a couple of layers of that 3M double-sided white foam tape to secure that particular adapter to a drive--go look at the pictures of the adapter weaknees sells to see where to cut out to keep from overheating the ICs.

In addition to keeping the IDE and power cable from pulling the SATA part loose, it electrically insulates all those solder points on the back of the adapter.

You can bypass eBay and buy that same adapter from WOWparts.com or NSIoutlet.com--they're all the same people as partsdomain.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:38 AM   #102
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by fljaweiu View Post
Though its true that we do not need church to have a close relationship with God, I believe He wants us to join together with other believers. By doing so we gain knowledge, are uplifted in prayer, can pray for the needs of others better, and as a group we can do more to further the work of God, more to help those in need around us. For me, being amongst other believers is just very uplifting to my soul. I think it's important to find a group of people who do that for each other and don't just use you to get what they need. Good luck to you....
And this relates to the subject how ??

Old 01-12-2011, 05:34 AM   #103
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
And this relates to the subject how ??
Because you hook all this stuff up together and pray that it works? : - )

(if religions can ban pork, why can't they tell their adherents "No Spam"?)

Old 01-24-2011, 07:48 PM   #104
lloydjs

Has anyone confirmed a SATA adapter and drive for a series1 SVR2000?
Old 01-25-2011, 09:31 AM   #105
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydjs View Post
Has anyone confirmed a SATA adapter and drive for a series1 SVR2000?
The Rosewill RC-A-SATA-IDE (the cheapest), the Addonics ADSAIDE, or the Koutech IO-ASA120 will all work in a Series 1 (and all use the same chipset, the Marvell 88SA8052, unless you get an old Addonics, which uses an earlier version, the 88SA8040). The power hookup for the first two is a little "kludgy", and you'll probably want to secure the wires in place with electrical tape (Scotch 33+), or 3M Mounting Tape (white foam, sticky on both sides), or a combination thereof, and the otherwise excellent Koutech has a "makes the overall drive too long and gets too near the power supply" problem that can be gotten around by mounting it on the bracket "backwards" and getting a power extension (preferably with a small fan attached that can be mounted under the drive).

What size SATA drive were you planning to use?

Old 01-25-2011, 12:26 PM   #106
lloydjs

Hi unitron,

I currently have two drives (160GB and 120GB). The drives are about 5 years old.
I am thinking about replacing them with a single 1TB sata drive but am open to recommendations - dual sata drives, dual large (500GB) IDE drives, a single 2TB sata drive, one sata and one IDE, etc.

Here are my reasons for leaning towards a single sata drive:
- faster disk access
- quieter
- less power consumption
- better compatibility - I tried two new large IDEs recently (500GB and 320GB) but both failed

However, my assumptions above could be incorrect. Can you let me know of any other reasons to switch to sata?
Old 02-02-2011, 12:10 AM   #107
unitron

Quote:
Hi unitron,

I currently have two drives (160GB and 120GB). The drives are about 5 years old.
I am thinking about replacing them with a single 1TB sata drive but am open to recommendations - dual sata drives, dual large (500GB) IDE drives, a single 2TB sata drive, one sata and one IDE, etc.

Here are my reasons for leaning towards a single sata drive:
- faster disk access
- quieter
- less power consumption
- better compatibility - I tried two new large IDEs recently (500GB and 320GB) but both failed

However, my assumptions above could be incorrect. Can you let me know of any other reasons to switch to sata?
Best reason to switch to SATA on S1 and S2 machines? Easy. Cheaper per GB than IDE and available bigger than 500GB (I think there were a few 640 and 750 IDE drives made, but if you find them they'll cost an arm and a leg and your firstborn).

Old 02-02-2011, 06:43 AM   #108
lloydjs

I found a 500GB drive for $90 on Amazon, not bad. Besides price, are the other advantages I listed correct?
Old 02-02-2011, 04:08 PM   #109
unitron

Quote:
I found a 500GB drive for $90 on Amazon, not bad. Besides price, are the other advantages I listed correct?
You can get a 2TB drive for $90, although a Series 1 can't use one that big, but my point is that that's a lot of money for only 500GB.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:26 PM   #110
stern_howie

Reading and reading.....

Can anyone recommend a HD and SATA->IDE adapter that would work with a
TCD 5400080 and also a TCD 5400040.

Something up around 1TB is what I am looking for.

WD10EVVS or WD10000CSRTL perhaps with the wowdomain adapter?

thanks
stern_howie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:05 PM   #111
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by stern_howie View Post
Reading and reading.....

Can anyone recommend a HD and SATA->IDE adapter that would work with a
TCD 5400080 and also a TCD 5400040.

Something up around 1TB is what I am looking for.

WD10EVVS or WD10000CSRTL perhaps with the wowdomain adapter?

thanks

----following edited 02/08/2011 because I'm an idiot---

WD10000CSRTL is NOT* the number they put on the retail box with a

WD1001FALS

inside. It's a Caviar Black.

*(The number is actually WD10000LSRTL)

----end edited section----

I got two of them off of the shelf at the local Best Buy.

Got a third one shipped to me by Best Buy, same drive, same box, but the label has

WDBAAZ0010HNC-NRSN

instead of

WD10000CSRTL

Using 2 of them in one Series 2 double tuner and the 3rd in another of the same model TiVo. So far, so good.

I'm using the LK-13415 adapters from NSIoutlet.com (who turned out to be WOWparts, who are partsdomainauction on eBay), and a third adapter that's almost the same (same chipset) from some outfit called Avolusion.

I can't swear that they'll work in any other S2 than the TCD649080 (and, one would assume, the TCD649180), but I don't know of any reason they shouldn't.

Last edited by unitron : 02-08-2011 at 02:28 PM. Reason: wrong part number originally given
Old 02-08-2011, 11:59 AM   #112
stern_howie

Thank you for your reply Unitron.

I looked at WD10000CSRTL at BestBuy and it shows as a Green not Black drive....odd. Any thoughts on that? I read previously green drives can be problematic.

hXXp://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/western-digital-caviar-green-1tb-3-5-desktop-internal-hard-drive-wd10000csrtl/10115790.aspx?path=acad04a4f01351d09d32a788a0905041en02
Old 02-08-2011, 02:24 PM   #113
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by stern_howie View Post
Thank you for your reply Unitron.

I looked at WD10000CSRTL at BestBuy and it shows as a Green not Black drive....odd. Any thoughts on that? I read previously green drives can be problematic.

hXXp://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/western-digital-caviar-green-1tb-3-5-desktop-internal-hard-drive-wd10000csrtl/10115790.aspx?path=acad04a4f01351d09d32a788a0905041en02
That's what I get for relying on memory.

The

WDBAAZ0010HNC-NRSN

is correct, I was looking at the box when I typed it.

HOWEVER,

the in-store number for the Black is

WD10000LSRTL

not WD10000CSRTL

so "my whoopsie".

Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got a previous post to edit.

P.S.

The "Green" problem is with the "intellipark" feature, and the need to run "wdidle" or something like that on some of them.

Go to the last page of this thread

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...60#post5616160

and then back up a year or two and you should find out what you need to know about that.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:47 PM   #114
stern_howie

thank you again.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:06 PM   #115
lloydjs

Success w/ series1 Sony SVR2000

• Did it work?: yes!
  • TiVo Model: series1 Sony SVR2000
  • Hard drive model: WESTERN DIGITAL - Caviar 1TB (WD10EAVS)
  • Adapter retail name: ROSEWILL|RC-A-SATA-IDE R
  • Purchased from / Price: drive pruchased from ServerSupply for $75 free shipping; adapter purchased from Newegg for $15 plus $2 shipping.
  • Chipset on the adapter: Marvell 88SA8052

I want to send a big THANK YOU to unitron for educating me on adapters.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:16 AM   #116
SMWinnie
Dis Member

Did it work?: NO
TiVo Model: TCD540040
Hard drive model: WD5000AADS (WD 500GB Caviar Green)
Adapter retail name: Generic SATA/PATA adapter. PCB labeled "Model: RPCT012" with open 2x2 jumper pad
Purchased from / Price: HDE Shop through Amazon.com marketplace
Chipset on the adapter: Sunplus SATALink SPIF223A-HL022

Jumpered the WD5000AADS for SATA1 (1.5Gb/s) and placed a cardboard spacer between the SATA/PATA adapter and the drive. (Without the spacer, the pins of the IDE bracket were touching the drive.) Fired up TiVo and got permanent "Welcome! Powering up..." screen.

Yanked, shelved and ordered NewEgg's $17 Rosewill adapter. Will check in when it gets here.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    ), PLS, CC) x 2
SMWinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 10:37 AM   #117
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMWinnie View Post
Adapter retail name: Generic SATA/PATA adapter. PCB labeled "Model: RPCT012" with open 2x2 jumper pad

Jumpered the WD5000AADS for SATA1 (1.5Gb/s) and placed a cardboard spacer between the SATA/PATA adapter and the drive. (Without the spacer, the pins of the IDE bracket were touching the drive.) Fired up TiVo and got permanent "Welcome! Powering up..." screen.

Yanked, shelved and ordered NewEgg's $17 Rosewill adapter. Will check in when it gets here.
That's the same chipset as used on the

HXSP-071218

which has been confirmed to not work in Series 1s, and is kind of flakey in S2s.

That Rosewill will also work in a Series 1.

Have you checked to see if you need to worry about the Intellipark issue?

Old 02-27-2011, 07:50 AM   #118
SMWinnie
Dis Member

Bad scientist...no biscuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
That's the same chipset as used on the

HXSP-071218

which has been confirmed to not work in Series 1s, and is kind of flakey in S2s.

That Rosewill will also work in a Series 1.

Have you checked to see if you need to worry about the Intellipark issue?
Quote:

I need to mark my submission as unreliable data. I got the Rosewill adapter from NewEgg and had the same trouble. So, I: pulled the new drive; reran WDIDLE3 to disable Intellipark; used WinMFS to make a truncated backup of the old Seagate PATA drive; restored the backup to the Caviar Green and expanded - using the Rosewill adapter; and popped the Caviar into the 540.

Powering Up...GSOD...two hours...reboot...Welcome to TiVo animation.

So, I have a functioning (and much quieter) 500GB TiVo now but I have no idea what was broken the first time. For all I know, the $3 SPIF223A-HL022 adapter was not the problem.

And I am in no way curious enough to crack open the case and do some testing.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    ), PLS, CC) x 2
SMWinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:28 AM   #119
unitron

Quote:
I need to mark my submission as unreliable data. I got the Rosewill adapter from NewEgg and had the same trouble. So, I: pulled the new drive; reran WDIDLE3 to disable Intellipark; used WinMFS to make a truncated backup of the old Seagate PATA drive; restored the backup to the Caviar Green and expanded - using the Rosewill adapter; and popped the Caviar into the 540.

Powering Up...GSOD...two hours...reboot...Welcome to TiVo animation.

So, I have a functioning (and much quieter) 500GB TiVo now but I have no idea what was broken the first time. For all I know, the $3 SPIF223A-HL022 adapter was not the problem.

And I am in no way curious enough to crack open the case and do some testing.
Based on my experience with the SunPlus chipset, I'm going to have greater peace of mind on your behalf that you're using the Rosewill instead.

I have yet to see any evidence to the contrary that "If it works in a Series 1, it'll work in anything".

Old 03-14-2011, 12:01 PM   #120
NetWrench
Tivo Dweeb 3rd Class

HR-10 250 and Partsdom

Appreciate this thread, very helpful.

Just ordered the "PATA/IDE TO Serial ATA SATA Adapter For 2.5/3.5 SATA HD" adapter from Partsdom, I'll post once I give it a shake in my HR-10 250.

BTW, posting Ebay links is a waste of time (long term) as they expire in 90 days. I did a lot of useless clicking, but I am good at it. Better to post the salient contents of the listing, so others can figure out.

Here's what Partdom ($6.99 shipped) says about this listing:
"Use the Jmicron 20330 controller (devices such as the 8300HD PVR only works with this controller for hard disk upgrade)."

Could I go with 2 TB reliably instead of just 1 TB? Does the LBA48 have anything to do with these adapters?
NetWrench is offline   Reply With Quote