TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-19-2010, 10:18 PM   #1
disalvj

tivo hd and slingbox solo connections

I have a tivo hd and a slingbox solo- I have the component cables from the tivo going to the slingbox solo then I have component cables from the slingbox solo to the TV. i am wondering if I could eliminate the component going from the slingbox solo and connect a HDMI cable from my tivo directly to the TV. Or do i need the component cables from the slingbox going directly to the tv. dont know if the tivo can handle one output to slingbox and one to tv. any suggestions would be appreciated
disalvj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 10:22 PM   #2
Combat Medic
No guts, no glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by disalvj View Post
I have a tivo hd and a slingbox solo- I have the component cables from the tivo going to the slingbox solo then I have component cables from the slingbox solo to the TV. i am wondering if I could eliminate the component going from the slingbox solo and connect a HDMI cable from my tivo directly to the TV. Or do i need the component cables from the slingbox going directly to the tv. dont know if the tivo can handle one output to slingbox and one to tv. any suggestions would be appreciated
The problem that you are going to run into is one of HDCP. I used to run HDMI to a TV in the office and component to the TV in the living room. Most times when the office TV was turned off the living room TV would go black and say that HDMI wasn't authorized.
Combat Medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:37 AM   #3
jcthorne

Yep, HDMI would be a great and useful digital connection if it were not flawed with the DRM BS that the studios foisted on the public.

Just avoid the HDMI. It really would not do anything for you that quality component cables are not already doing and avoid the DRM problems.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 02:04 PM   #4
disalvj

thanks all- so in otherwords run component from tivo to sling solo then from sling solo run component to tv. I did notice on one of the tivo diagrahms that they had component to accessery then hdmi from tivo to tv however it is slightly confusing
disalvj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 05:41 PM   #5
A J Ricaud

You may or may not run into the HDCP problem by running an HDMI cable directly to the TV. It seems that some TV/Tivo combinations have problems w/multiple connections and some don't. FWIW I have a hookup like you are wanting to do and don't have the HDCP problem.

I would try it using an inexpensive HDMI cable form monoprice.com if you don't already have one.
A J Ricaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:38 PM   #6
dravrah1

I also have it hooked up like you would like to do. Component to the Slingbox (ProHD) and HDMI to the TV (JVC RPTV). I haven't had any HDCP issues and the HDMI issues I have had have been caused by the cable.
So, whether it works or not really depends on your TV. Some play nice with HDMI and some do strange things when they are turned off.

I agree with AJ Ricaud, try an HDMI cable and see if it works for you.
dravrah1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 03:05 AM   #7
lorraines

Quote:
Originally Posted by A J Ricaud View Post
You may or may not run into the HDCP problem by running an HDMI cable directly to the TV. It seems that some TV/Tivo combinations have problems w/multiple connections and some don't. FWIW I have a hookup like you are wanting to do and don't have the HDCP problem.

I would try it using an inexpensive HDMI cable form monoprice.com if you don't already have one.
Thanx alot,
lorraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 04:40 PM   #8
flysooz

Tivo Series 3, Slingbox Solo, HDMI connection

Initially I had problems hooking up my Slingbox Solo to my Series 3. I had HDMI out from Series 3 direct to a Pioneer plasma tv and component video out of Series 3 to Slingbox. With this setup, it would stream audio, but not video. Both SlingMedia and Tivo tried to tell me it wouldn't work with an HDMI cable in the setup. I replaced my old HDMI cable with an Auvio High-Speed HDMI Cable with Ethernet from Radio Shack. Now it works just fine. I do think the HDMI cable required to work in your setup may be tv specific, but it will work for some!
flysooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 06:01 PM   #9
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
Just avoid the HDMI. It really would not do anything for you that quality component cables are not already doing and avoid the DRM problems.
Well, that's not quite true. Under ideal conditions, component video is indistinguishable to the viewer from HDMI. In the real world, however, analog connections are susceptible to problems digital connections are not. If the runs are very long, the phase angle, frequency response, and relative amplitude of the three signals will be different, somewhat impacting the PQ. The user may well not notice, and in any case it only applies to modestly long cable runs, but it is a consideration for long runs - typically more than 10 meters. Secondly, analog connections are more susceptible to failure from connector oxidation or lose connectors. The TV I used to have in the theater was fed via component connections, and every few months the whole screen would start to intermittently go magenta. I would have to pull the cables and reseat them at the AVR to clear the issue. I think it was probably a combination of oxidation and the fact the very stiff cable assembly tended to cause one of the connectors to come loose a bit. Finally, of course, there is the additional cable clutter. Composite video requires a minimum of four connections, as opposed to one for HDMI. Multiply that by three or four inputs plus maybe one or two outputs from an AVR, and it gets pretty significant.

Of course, none of this may be of concern in the OP's situation, but saying HDMI does nothing component cables do is overstating the case.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 08:23 PM   #10
brstone89

I've got HDMI going to my avr and component going to my TV. Even if the avr is off, I have never seen any problems with anything.
Every now and then, when I first start pop into recorded or live tv, a message will flash on the screen for a split second saying "HDMI connection is not supported" or something like that. It goes away rather quickly and audio picks up
brstone89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:54 PM   #11
jazmaan

Ha ha, for what its worth on this VERY old thread, here in 2014 I just connected a Slingbox Solo to a Tivo HD and an old Toshiba TV using the HDMI out from the Tivo HD to the TV and component cables to connect the Tivo HD to the Slingbox Solo. Everything works!
jazmaan is offline   Reply With Quote