TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-10-2010, 12:33 PM   #151
jlwatson

AnyDVD from SlySoft fixed my codec problem with WMP11

I know there are a lot of fixes to this issue but this one seemed to work like a charm for me; its easy and free. I downloaded the latest version of ANYDVD (version 6.6.3.4) from SlySoft - installed it, rebooted, played a tivo file from the tivo desktop (it opens windows media player 11) and ran it, uninstalled ANYDVD, and rebooted. Now my tivo files play beautifully in HD in WMP11. - I'm not sure why it works, but it does. My system: Tivo HD, Desktop 2.8 Plus, Windows Vista 32 bit (Worked on 64 bit as well)
jlwatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 08:22 AM   #152
Cep

Thanks for this forum

I just got my Tivo Premier last week. I downloaded Tivo Desktop, and grabbed a few shows to my laptop before heading out on a weekend outing. When I tried to run the programs that I transfered I got video but no audio. I came to this site and read this thread. I downloaded ac3 filter and TDCM. In a matter of minutes all was fixed. Thank you for all of your assistance. Much better source of information than the team that actually came out with the product!!!
Cep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 12:02 PM   #153
mloftis

I'm on Vista (ultimate) and have the "source not found" issue so I've been downloading via https, but while TDCM plays the file fine out of the box (didn't touch any of the preferred filters) WMP12 doesn't. What WMP12 does do depends entirely on the extension of the file. .tivo files get an immediate error dialog. Any of mp4, mpeg, mpg, it plays a brief burst of audio, but no video, and then just seems to read the whole file while hung. Really upsetting that tivo desktop plus is getting worse over the years, the tivo guide data has gotten better and worse over the years (currently in an "ok" period, I only see about 2x a month where the TiVo records something that completely doesnt' match the guide data).

If the lack of competition, and thus good alternatives weren't so obvious I think I'd have left TiVo by now. In the meantime atleast I have a Mac here which I can probably install the s/w onto. Last I knew it was still working but the Mac has gone from 10.5->10.6 too so....

If anyone has any advice about how to get the .TiVo files to playback in other than TDCM (coz TDCM is rendering it fine) I'd be appreciative.
~250hrs Phillips Series 1 TiVo (may it RIP)
mloftis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 09:20 AM   #154
bamf226

I've been using TDCM for several months with absolutely no problem. Now, after a Windows Update this past Tuesday, TDCM no longer works for me. No matter what codec I select, the video always plays back in the tall and skinny aspect ratio. I tried reinstalling TDCM as well as all of the codecs I have (ffdshow and Cole 2k). Can anyone help fix this problem?
bamf226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 05:11 PM   #155
tim5055

Thanks for this information!!
tim5055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 01:10 PM   #156
kcantrel

I installed TiVo Desktop so I could transfer files to my laptop. That went without a hitch. Unfortunately, my laptop didn't have a DVD viewer installed, so it didn't have an MEG2 decoder, so all I got was audio. After installing the DVD player (InterVideo WinDVD) that came with my laptop (Lenovo T400 running Windows XP SP3) I could view TiVo files, but couldn't move the little progress bar to skip commercials. If I tried to use any of the shortcut keys to get the video to skip forward, it would always just go back to the beginning of the video. Quite frustrating. By reading this thread I decided the problem most be the codec that I got from the InterVideo software and that I needed another one. I read that the Tivo Desktop Plus software comes with an Meg2 codec so I purchased it (version 2.8.1). Sure enough, now the little progress bar shows up with Windows Media player (WMP 11), but as soon as I touch it, the player totally freezes! I have to force kill it to get it to go away.

Note that TiVoDesktopCodec Manager has no problem playing the TiVo files, and even skips to any part of the video I want to go. So I now know it is possible for this to work, it just must be a problem with WMP. I would watch the video through the Codec Manager, but it wont scale the image, so while the picture look good, it is really small, and there are no shortcut keys that make it easy to skip just 30 seconds like WMP has.

So, has anyone seen this? Andy ideas how to resolve it?
kcantrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 04:23 AM   #157
ggieseke

The progress bar works fine on my XP box, but I'm still using WMP10. The codecs that come with Plus provide full positioning support, so that shouldn't be the problem.

You might try playing around with the video acceleration options in WMP, or uninstalling WinDVD. Since 2.8 came out Desktop Plus doesn't register its codecs with Windows, but you can register them yourself. In a command prompt, change to the "C:\Program Files\TiVo\Desktop\Plus\MainConcept" directory and use the REGSVR32 command to register each of the *.ax files there. Once they're registered almost any player can use them and you might find one that works better.

TDCM wasn't really meant as a player, so I didn't bother with scaling options. If I use it to actually watch a show on my computer I usually knock my screen resolution down to 800x600 to get a larger picture.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:35 PM   #158
kcantrel

Thanks ggieseke, I appreciate you taking the time to respond. I started up WMP, brought up the Options window, went to the Performance tab and clicked on the "Restore Defaults" under the video acceleration portion. Now, I'm back to square two, where WMP will at least not crash when I touch the slider bar, but always goes to the beginning when I let go of it. I did confirm if I play a "standard" wmv file that it acts as expected.

I brought up TDCM and ensured that the TiVo MPEG2 decoders were selected. Next I used the REGSVR32 command to register all the *.ax files (was I suppose to do all of them?). That did seem to change the selection of MPEG2 decoders I could select via TDCM, but it didn't seem to help WMP. I then tried a couple other video players:
DivX: I had to rename one of the .TiVo files to .avi to be able to select it, but when I played it, it looked like it wasn't be decrypted correctly.
Real: Played the same as DivX
QuickTime: Didn't recognize the file format.

When I play a TiVo video within WMP and bring up the File Properties, it does seem to have selected the MainConcept MPEG-2 video codec, so I assume it is getting the correct one.

I'm at a total loss again. Do you have any thing else you think I can try?
Old 10-22-2010, 01:01 AM   #159
ggieseke

Now that the Plus codecs are registered TDCM will list them in the Preferred DirectShow Filters dialog. First set all three preferred filters to (none), open a .TiVo file, and write down the demuxer & decoders it's using. They should all be MainConcept, and if you right-click each one you should see that the file path is in the Plus\Mainconcept folder below the Desktop folder. Then go to the Preferred filters dialog again and set them as the defaults.

If the slider in WMP still won't work at that point I don't really know why. You could use tivodecode to convert them to straight .MPG format, then play them with Winamp or VLC.
Old 10-23-2010, 04:45 PM   #160
creekjumper

media player wont show pic, just play audio

did the uninstall reinstall thing after purchasing the plus, still no dice, tivo doesn't know what to do so got sent here, any ideas?
creekjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 04:53 PM   #161
creekjumper

oh n im running xp
creekjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 01:09 AM   #162
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekjumper View Post
did the uninstall reinstall thing after purchasing the plus, still no dice, tivo doesn't know what to do so got sent here, any ideas?
What codecs does TDCM show when you open a .TiVo file?
Old 10-31-2010, 08:18 PM   #163
headkaze

Couldn't rewind or fast forward TiVo files in MCE. Stop would restart the video. Spent hours fiddling with codecs changing filter merits in DirectShow Filter Manager and nearly went insaine. Found this app and along with the NVidia PureVideo codec all is functioning perfectly.

Why does the TiVo Desktop Plus codec not allow the same functionality as the NVidia codec?

Big thankyou to ggieseke for this fantastic application!
headkaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 12:43 AM   #164
phyllis1

Thumbs up Thanks ggieseke!

Every now and then, WMP will inexplicably stop playing my TiVo files. Then I have to spend hours hunting down solutions and downloading codecs. TDCM is a lifesaver! Thank you so much for your contribution!
phyllis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 07:01 AM   #165
aaroncolorado

How do I run TDCM?

This has quickly turned into the most time consuming computer related task I have ever undertaken.
I have .tivo shows that work perfectly on my Windows XP mini Dell computer but the same files will not work on my brand new mini Dell that runs Windows 7 Basic. The load perfectly find but ONLY THE AUDIO works, no visuals play.

I have of course installed the latest version of Tivo Desktop. In fact I've uninstalled it using the scrubber and reinstalled it twice now. I've tried downloading random codecs for WMP12 (Windows Media Player 12). I've tried downloading third party players like GOL and VLC player but nothing has worked.

I downloaded this TDCM file and tried to run it but it's not playing anything. I've tried messing around with the settings but nothing.

Any further advice before I just accept that my 83GBs of .tivo shows are not going to play on my new Dell mini?

Thanks in advance for any insight anyone has.
aaroncolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 09:02 AM   #166
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaroncolorado View Post
This has quickly turned into the most time consuming computer related task I have ever undertaken.
I have .tivo shows that work perfectly on my Windows XP mini Dell computer but the same files will not work on my brand new mini Dell that runs Windows 7 Basic. The load perfectly find but ONLY THE AUDIO works, no visuals play.

I have of course installed the latest version of Tivo Desktop. In fact I've uninstalled it using the scrubber and reinstalled it twice now. I've tried downloading random codecs for WMP12 (Windows Media Player 12). I've tried downloading third party players like GOL and VLC player but nothing has worked.

I downloaded this TDCM file and tried to run it but it's not playing anything. I've tried messing around with the settings but nothing.

Any further advice before I just accept that my 83GBs of .tivo shows are not going to play on my new Dell mini?

Thanks in advance for any insight anyone has.
It sounds like you're missing an MPEG-2 video codec. Some of the free codec packs like CCCP have worked for many people, but I usually recommend buying Desktop Plus if you don't already have a codec that handles .TiVo files. VLC won't play .TiVo files directly but if you use tivodecode to strip them back to straight MPEG-2 files it should work.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:30 AM   #167
aaroncolorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
It sounds like you're missing an MPEG-2 video codec. Some of the free codec packs like CCCP have worked for many people, but I usually recommend buying Desktop Plus if you don't already have a codec that handles .TiVo files. VLC won't play .TiVo files directly but if you use tivodecode to strip them back to straight MPEG-2 files it should work.
Thanks for your reply! I am somewhat new to all this so could someone please tell me what CCCP stands for? Where might I be able to download this from? I looked back over the forum but didn't see anything that related to CCCP.

Thank you.
aaroncolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 06:43 AM   #168
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaroncolorado View Post
Thanks for your reply! I am somewhat new to all this so could someone please tell me what CCCP stands for? Where might I be able to download this from? I looked back over the forum but didn't see anything that related to CCCP.

Thank you.
Google "combined community codec pack". If you go through the other pages of this thread you can also find other codec packs that have worked for some people.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:21 AM   #169
kcantrel

Hi ggieseke. I don't know what happen, but all the sudden WMP can do full position support with my .TiVo files. I think registering the TiVo Desktop Plus codecs and rebooting finally got everything working. So, thanks for that. Now I have another problem. When I try and play .tivo files from one of the TiVo's (either a TiVo HD or a TiVo 3 or a TiVo S2) WMP reports is it "acquiring codec..." then it stated is "codec acquired", then the video plays. It looks fine, but no sound. When I bring up the same video with TDCM, I get a popup window and it reads "Some of the streams in this movie are in an unsupported format." Any idea what would cause this?
Old 11-16-2010, 11:32 AM   #170
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcantrel View Post
Hi ggieseke. I don't know what happen, but all the sudden WMP can do full position support with my .TiVo files. I think registering the TiVo Desktop Plus codecs and rebooting finally got everything working. So, thanks for that. Now I have another problem. When I try and play .tivo files from one of the TiVo's (either a TiVo HD or a TiVo 3 or a TiVo S2) WMP reports is it "acquiring codec..." then it stated is "codec acquired", then the video plays. It looks fine, but no sound. When I bring up the same video with TDCM, I get a popup window and it reads "Some of the streams in this movie are in an unsupported format." Any idea what would cause this?
If you have Desktop Plus you should have everything needed, but usually audio problems are because you're missing a Dolby codec. If you Google "ac3filter" you will get one that works. Files from your S2 shouldn't have that problem because the only audio format it supports is MPEG-2 Layer 1.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:50 AM   #171
kcantrel

Thanks again ggieseke, that did the trick. I'm curious, however, why didn't TiVo Desktop Plus not provide that? In other words, how was I suppose to be able to play the TiVo files from the S3 if I hadn't downloaded a public domain version of the sc3filter?
Old 11-24-2010, 02:58 AM   #172
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcantrel View Post
Thanks again ggieseke, that did the trick. I'm curious, however, why didn't TiVo Desktop Plus not provide that? In other words, how was I suppose to be able to play the TiVo files from the S3 if I hadn't downloaded a public domain version of the sc3filter?
Desktop Plus does provide it. I'm not sure why it isn't working for you but I'm glad that AC3Filter helped.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:04 PM   #173
GmanDan

Audio Synch Problems Fixed by ggieseke's program

Thanks GGIESEKE!!!!!!

The audio kept playing out of synch in WMP and re-installing Tivo Desktop and WMP didn't help. Tivo Tech Support was sympathietic but useless (the tech did suggest checking the online forums though).

I tried your program, played with the settings and it works fine.

Excellent job!
GmanDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 02:58 PM   #174
Ready4TiVo

With apologies in advance if this has been answered elsewhere; please provide a link if so.

I have an iMac and have been transferring programs using TiVo Transfer for years. Last night I scheduled four one-hour, HD shows to transfer in the middle of the night. Each one displays the full hour on the TiVo box - mine, for now, a TiVo Series3 HD. Each one showed up in my recordings but each one stopped dead at 53 minutes - it didn't simply stop playing, there was nothing left to play. As a test, I transferred another show, different channel, as a standalone while I puttered around. One hour on the TiVo, 33 minutes on my iMac.

Any suggestions?
Ready4TiVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 03:47 PM   #175
Ready4TiVo

Is it possible that the transfers are restricted by size - 3.4 GB at once, perhaps? That formula seems to fit what I have - HD shows that are 4 GB stop almost at the end, but not quite; another show that's 7 GB stops halfway. Can one change this seeming limitation?
Old 12-12-2010, 06:18 AM   #176
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready4TiVo View Post
Is it possible that the transfers are restricted by size - 3.4 GB at once, perhaps? That formula seems to fit what I have - HD shows that are 4 GB stop almost at the end, but not quite; another show that's 7 GB stops halfway. Can one change this seeming limitation?
You might get more replies if you start a new thread. This one is about codec problems specific to Windows computers.

If it was a Windows machine I would guess that you're transferring to a drive that's formatted using the FAT32 filesystem or that you're running Kaspersky antivirus. Either of those will chop off files at 4GB.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:31 AM   #177
Ready4TiVo

Actually - that's it. My 1TB external drive - attached to my Mac - is a FAT32. I'll figure it out from here. Thanks.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:43 PM   #178
davecope

Help file won't open from TIVO server or TDCM

I tried to open TIVO server help and I got a dialog box that informed me that VISTA doesn't support MS "help" format. Then I opened TDCM help and AdobeReader10 warns me that the help file is unsupported or corrupt, so I downloaded TDCM.zip again and I got the same result.

My root issue is that after transcoding my TIVO shows and syncing to my iPod, the playback audio and video begin in sync and as a program progresses, the audio and video drift apart until a show becomes unwatchable.

I'm trying to use TDCM intuitively (since there's no "help"), but no joy.

How do I see a "help" file in TDCM?
davecope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 03:49 AM   #179
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by davecope View Post
I tried to open TIVO server help and I got a dialog box that informed me that VISTA doesn't support MS "help" format. Then I opened TDCM help and AdobeReader10 warns me that the help file is unsupported or corrupt, so I downloaded TDCM.zip again and I got the same result.

My root issue is that after transcoding my TIVO shows and syncing to my iPod, the playback audio and video begin in sync and as a program progresses, the audio and video drift apart until a show becomes unwatchable.

I'm trying to use TDCM intuitively (since there's no "help"), but no joy.

How do I see a "help" file in TDCM?
See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917607 to download the help file viewer for Vista, Windows 7 & Server 2008. If you still have problems I converted it to .DOC format and attached it in post #65 of this thread.

I have seen that iPod conversion issue in several posts, but have never been able to duplicate it or find an answer. If you do, please let us all know. You could try kmttg for the iPod conversion to see if that works better.
Old 04-06-2011, 02:53 PM   #180
SoClose

Thanks!

Thanks so much for creating and posting TDCM.zip. After just a few minutes of tinkering, I was able to configure my XP system to play .tivo files.
SoClose is offline   Reply With Quote