Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-24-2010, 02:21 PM   #301
tinkererguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkererguy View Post
Fantastic, thank you rcobourn!
wonder if bluetooth module acts like this in stock (non-upgraded) Premieres running 14.6-01-3-746
My guess is probably yes, that 14.6 has issues with bluetooth dongle at boot time, that trigger a green screen immediately or within hours. Just a hunch, little data to back up this "thinking out loud"...
Sony KDL-55HX800 55" TV
Sony STR-DA5600ES Amp
Sony RM-VL900 remote
DIRECTV '96-'06, Cox HD '06-present
tinkererguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 03:10 PM   #302
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottb4u View Post
I am about to expand my Premiere to 2 tb internal.

Can this method be used for a 2 tb internal in an S3?
Read the other replies.. Hint, it doesn't work with s3 at all...
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 06:11 PM   #303
mattack

On my MacBook Pro, with both my orig TivoHD drive (160 GB?) and new 1 TB drive connected to a DockMaster II USB drive dock, jmfs doesn't see the 1 TB drive..

I see them right now, booted into OS X, in Disk Utility.

Is there any hope of jmfs being updated? If not, I'll probably figure out the old upgrade methods again within the next few days at most.

I'm using rev 104.

Oh, I guess this is a similar problem as mentioned on a previous page. I had thought previously that they were only seeing a problem with eSATA.. but they were seeing a problem with USB too.

So there's no solution? Darn, this was the major reason I bought this dual dock in the first place.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:29 PM   #304
scottb4u

How about expanding to a 2tb internal, then adding a 1tb WD AV Expander "approved" drive? Will that work?
scottb4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 09:05 PM   #305
retiredqwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
On my MacBook Pro, with both my orig TivoHD drive (160 GB?) and new 1 TB drive connected to a DockMaster II USB drive dock, jmfs doesn't see the 1 TB drive..

I see them right now, booted into OS X, in Disk Utility.

Is there any hope of jmfs being updated? If not, I'll probably figure out the old upgrade methods again within the next few days at most.

I'm using rev 104.

Oh, I guess this is a similar problem as mentioned on a previous page. I had thought previously that they were only seeing a problem with eSATA.. but they were seeing a problem with USB too.

So there's no solution? Darn, this was the major reason I bought this dual dock in the first place.
JMFS only recognizes 1 drive in a dual bay dock. Because the underlying Linux OS it uses does not support USB port multiplying. Same thing happens with a Blacx Duet on a USB port.

THD 1.5TB Seagate = 237 hrs HD
Premiere WD20EVDS = 317 hrs HD.
XL4 = 318 hrs HD
retiredqwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 12:16 AM   #306
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcobourn View Post
One thing I would recommend for anyone doing an upgrade: get your cablecard installed before the upgrade. That way the pairing won't need to be redone if you revert to the stock hard drive.
Good advice. For years it has always been recommended that new TiVo's s/b fully set up and kept running for a good 30 days prior to upgrading to help ensure that everything is in good working order. Otherwise there are just too many variables to determine what may have gone wrong. Problems often have nothing to do with the upgrade.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 12:22 AM   #307
richsadams

Quote:
How about expanding to a 2tb internal, then adding a 1tb WD AV Expander "approved" drive? Will that work?
Unfortunately no, not at this time.
Old 11-25-2010, 01:54 AM   #308
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredqwest View Post
JMFS only recognizes 1 drive in a dual bay dock. Because the underlying Linux OS it uses does not support USB port multiplying. Same thing happens with a Blacx Duet on a USB port.
So NO Linux distribution supports this? Will it ever be supported?

It's surprising that such a basic thing wouldn't be supported.
Old 11-25-2010, 07:31 AM   #309
comer

Quote:
So NO Linux distribution supports this? Will it ever be supported?

It's surprising that such a basic thing wouldn't be supported.
They do, of course. That particular driver is missing from the distrib I used to put JMFS together.

The old command-line guide is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
comer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 01:44 AM   #310
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by comer View Post
They do, of course. That particular driver is missing from the distrib I used to put JMFS together.
So googling, I found this:
http://www.addonics.com/support/faqs...rt_desktop.asp

I'm not even sure if this is related. I understand there is SATA port multiplying AND USB port multiplying.. but since the adapter hooks to SATA drives and gives a USB port, I'm not sure which one is relevant.

So how much of a donation would you want to add the driver in? and/or is there an easy way I could add the driver in myself? I'd be willing to test versions you make if you put it in.
Old 11-26-2010, 01:29 PM   #311
tcfcameron
(4) 2TB TiVo HDs

Quote:
So googling, I found this:
http://www.addonics.com/support/faqs...rt_desktop.asp

I'm not even sure if this is related. I understand there is SATA port multiplying AND USB port multiplying.. but since the adapter hooks to SATA drives and gives a USB port, I'm not sure which one is relevant.

So how much of a donation would you want to add the driver in? and/or is there an easy way I could add the driver in myself? I'd be willing to test versions you make if you put it in.
My recommendation would be a way to allow the end-user to add their own drivers, if needed (in a way like how you can install 3rd party storage drivers during the beginning of a Windows XP installation).

I had to try four different motherboards before I could find one that would work with jmfs. I had to revert to an old P4 system with an Intel chipset.

I'm only bringing it up, since you brought up the 3rd-party driver matter.
tcfcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 01:42 PM   #312
rcobourn
Registered Snoozer

Quote:
Fantastic, thank you rcobourn!

It has stayed up for 12 hours now, I'm tempted to plug bluetooth module back in (it's nice not having to aim the remote) and just watch out for the next code upgrade release date estimate, and see if I can pull the module out before that upgrade (to avoid family being greeted with a green screen the next morning).

Then again, my machine did spontaneously turn to green screen many hours after boot (with module inserted all the while), so perhaps I'm better off waiting until next software release. Are you saying you are stable for many days or weeks as long as the bluetooth module is not inserted at boot time?

As usual, it's good to know somebody is in the same boat as you, and I too wonder if bluetooth module acts like this in stock (non-upgraded) Premieres running 14.6-01-3-746
Yes my Premier runs fairly well with the dongle in and using the Slide remote, unless I reboot it or it reboots itself. Then I usually have to pull the dongle to get booted.
rcobourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 08:53 AM   #313
tinkererguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcobourn View Post
Yes my Premier runs fairly well with the dongle in and using the Slide remote, unless I reboot it or it reboots itself. Then I usually have to pull the dongle to get booted.
Thank you rcobourn.

Likely not at all relevant, but, well, just in case: do you use the dongle extension cable or just have it plugged straight into the USB port? top or bottom port?
Sony KDL-55HX800 55" TV
Sony STR-DA5600ES Amp
Sony RM-VL900 remote
Old 11-27-2010, 09:18 AM   #314
scottb4u

Thank you Comer! A flawless program that does exactly what it is supposed to do.

Added a 2tb WD20EARS drive "remidied" with wdidle3. Saved about $100 from the drive resellers on ebay.

Now have 318 hours. That is 13.25 days of 24/7 HD recording!

What would happen if I added a WD AV 1tb Expander now? Would it be recognized or ignored? Would it mess things up? I've got one here but I'm unwilling to experiment...
scottb4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 09:44 AM   #315
comer

Quote:
Thank you Comer! A flawless program that does exactly what it is supposed to do.

Added a 2tb WD20EARS drive "remidied" with wdidle3. Saved about $100 from the drive resellers on ebay.

Now have 318 hours. That is 13.25 days of 24/7 HD recording!

What would happen if I added a WD AV 1tb Expander now? Would it be recognized or ignored? Would it mess things up? I've got one here but I'm unwilling to experiment...
Congrats and happy Tivoing
I think this post will answer your question: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...91#post8245591

The old command-line guide is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
comer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 02:40 PM   #316
tinkererguy

I thank you too Comer, here via words for my successful use of your fine work, and, voluntarily, via PayPal as well!
Sony KDL-55HX800 55" TV
Sony STR-DA5600ES Amp
Sony RM-VL900 remote
Old 11-28-2010, 12:14 AM   #317
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcfcameron View Post
My recommendation would be a way to allow the end-user to add their own drivers, if needed (in a way like how you can install 3rd party storage drivers during the beginning of a Windows XP installation).

I had to try four different motherboards before I could find one that would work with jmfs. I had to revert to an old P4 system with an Intel chipset.

I'm only bringing it up, since you brought up the 3rd-party driver matter.
Well, it booted just fine on my MacBook Pro!
Old 11-28-2010, 01:43 PM   #318
rcobourn
Registered Snoozer

Quote:
Thank you rcobourn.

Likely not at all relevant, but, well, just in case: do you use the dongle extension cable or just have it plugged straight into the USB port? top or bottom port?
No extension. I think I've had it plugged in to either usb port at one time or another, with the tuning adapter in the other.

If I can find time, and a window without too many recordings scheduled, I want to put the stock drive back in, and test with the slide remote, then allow the software to update, and retest, just to see if there is any sign of the problem with the stock drive. I'm really having a hard time coming up with any logical reason the slide remote should not get along with an upgraded hard drive.
rcobourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:20 PM   #319
speed_phreak

Awesome disc Comer! Now I feel compelled to donate. Easiest Tivo upgrade method I have ever used. I don't mind the command line, but your scripts definitely saved me time!

Thanks!

Last edited by speed_phreak : 11-29-2010 at 08:43 PM.
speed_phreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:29 PM   #320
bgtees

Apologies if this has been asked, but I searched and could not find it. I have a Premiere with what appears to be a bad drive (the unit was dropped while recording and the drive is clicking). A friend of mine also has a Premiere. Can I use the drive from my friend's Premiere as the source drive to prepare a new drive that will work in my Premiere? If so, anything I need to know about that is different than the standard instructions?

Thanks!
bgtees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:39 PM   #321
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgtees View Post
Apologies if this has been asked, but I searched and could not find it. I have a Premiere with what appears to be a bad drive (the unit was dropped while recording and the drive is clicking). A friend of mine also has a Premiere. Can I use the drive from my friend's Premiere as the source drive to prepare a new drive that will work in my Premiere? If so, anything I need to know about that is different than the standard instructions?

Thanks!
If they are the same model (Premiere or Premiere XL) you can do that under "normal" circumstances (using MFSTools, etc). However I don't know that it's been tried with Comer's upgrade method so you're in uncharted waters. I don't know of any reason it wouldn't work though. However when you boot up you will almost certainly receive an error message (as the OEM drives are matched to the unit). You will then have to run Clear and Delete Everything. That will restore the default image. Since you'll basically have a "new" TiVo you'll need to get your cable cards re-paried, etc.
Old 12-01-2010, 01:12 PM   #322
bgtees

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
If they are the same model (Premiere or Premiere XL) you can do that under "normal" circumstances (using MFSTools, etc). However I don't know that it's been tried with Comer's upgrade method so you're in uncharted waters. I don't know of any reason it wouldn't work though. However when you boot up you will almost certainly receive an error message (as the OEM drives are matched to the unit). You will then have to run Clear and Delete Everything. That will restore the default image. Since you'll basically have a "new" TiVo you'll need to get your cable cards re-paried, etc.
Thanks Rich - I appreciate the information. I'll give it a shot this weekend and report back either way.
bgtees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 08:26 PM   #323
LSpera

Upgrade worked perfectly with a Seagate Barracuda LP 2 TB 5900RPM SATA 3 GB/s 32 MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Hard Drive ST32000542AS.. got the drive for $69.99 shipped from Amazon. 317 hours of HD. I'm a happy guy!

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!
LSpera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:06 PM   #324
bhfr

I don't understand why but using a different computer worked for me. I' copying to my 2tb now. Thanks
bhfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 10:09 PM   #325
172pilot

Thanks!!

Haven't finished yet, but the copy is progressing, and as someone who's owned 7 Tivos now (2x S1, 2x S2, 1x Humax-DVDr, 1x HD, and now 1x Premier), I have to say, this was the QUICKEST and EASIEST upgrade I've ever done...

Thanks!!!!
-Steve
172pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 08:38 PM   #326
SUOrangeman
TiVo Newbie

What's the verdict, if any, on advanced format drives? I've been looking at the models folks have successfully used for upgrades, but I don't think any of them are advanced format.

-SUO
SUOrangeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 01:03 AM   #327
cds618

Copy failed

Can someone help please,

I tried to copy my original 320 drive to a new WD AV-GP 2TB drive. I connected both drives, went through the guided setup, it found the Tivo drive, It found the 2tb destination drive, I selected Copy, it started to copy then after a while my computer screen went black & there was no hard drive activity. waited about an hour than I hit the escape button & it seemed to have stopped at around 31GB of copying - no errors. I restarted the computer & tried again. Same thing happened except it got to about 48gb of copying - no errors I waited 2 hours this time. Tried a 3rd time it got to 42gb with 1 error this time after 4 hours.

Any suggestions on what could be wrong?
cds618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 01:20 AM   #328
stanlam

What is the best 1 TB and 2 TB drive to buy for the Tivo Premiere if price was not a factor. I figure I'm already saving so much money by doing the internal hard drive upgrade myself. I don't mind spending a few extra bucks on buying the most compatible 1 TB or 2 TB drive for the Premiere. I really don't want a headache with compatibility issues. Please give me the model # so I can buy it soon.
stanlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 02:14 AM   #329
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUOrangeman View Post
What's the verdict, if any, on advanced format drives? I've been looking at the models folks have successfully used for upgrades, but I don't think any of them are advanced format.

-SUO
If you're referring to the newer drives with 400K sectors, there's no impact when it comes to upgrading TiVo.
Old 12-04-2010, 02:30 AM   #330
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by cds618 View Post
Can someone help please,

I tried to copy my original 320 drive to a new WD AV-GP 2TB drive. I connected both drives, went through the guided setup, it found the Tivo drive, It found the 2tb destination drive, I selected Copy, it started to copy then after a while my computer screen went black & there was no hard drive activity. waited about an hour than I hit the escape button & it seemed to have stopped at around 31GB of copying - no errors. I restarted the computer & tried again. Same thing happened except it got to about 48gb of copying - no errors I waited 2 hours this time. Tried a 3rd time it got to 42gb with 1 error this time after 4 hours.

Any suggestions on what could be wrong?
It sounds like a hard drive problem. If your original TiVo hard drive was working fine there's likely an issue with your new drive.

I've gotten into the habit of testing all new hard drives. Most are fine but now and then one isn't. Your best bet is to run Western Digital's Lifeguard diagnostic program:

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?lang=en

You can run the quick test to see if it passes. If it doesn't, time for an RMA. If it does you should run the extended read/write/read test. That will take quite a while on a 2TB drive so I'd leave it run overnight.

You could run the quick test on your original TiVo drive, but do NOT run the extended diagnostic as it of course wipes everything on the hard drive.

Hope that helps and let us know how things go.