The following showed up on my November bill:

Quote:
Effective December 1, 2010, the monthly charge for a
CableCard on an additional outlet will decrease from $1.50 to
No Charge. Comcast will continue to charge a monthly
charge of $1.50 for the second CableCard required for a
non-Comcast HD DVR. Prices noted exclude applicable
taxes and fees.
Despite what it says about still charging $1.50 for the second card, I'm no longer being charged for any of the three cards I have (2 in S3, 1 in Premiere).

Last edited by morac : 11-18-2010 at 10:08 AM.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 10:12 AM   #7622
Corran Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuyahoga View Post
Another truck roll last night (6th or 7th), and another visit with no encrypted or copy protected channels working. The tech and the dispatcher keep talking about rate codes, but I'm not convinced the card is even paired.

They act like they are trying but they can't REALLY be trying. They only thing they tried to do is tell me how good their boxes are.

I really don't know what to do next.
I live in fear of this happening.

I haven't been following your trials...have you tried involving someone from Tivo?
Old 11-20-2010, 03:23 PM   #7623
Phantom Gremlin

Quote:
They act like they are trying but they can't REALLY be trying.
But they really are trying, they're just not the sharpest knives in the drawer. Don't attribute to malice what can easily be explained by stupidity.

Quote:
They only thing they tried to do is tell me how good their boxes are.
From their point of view they're absolutely correct. Their boxes really are better, because the rest of their company has made sure of that.

The problem isn't really with the low-level people. Most of them are sincerely trying to be helpful. The problem is that the cable company execs have structured their companies (and also CableLabs) to make this stuff difficult to do. They are doing that for reasons of strategic advantage. They don't want 3rd party boxes connecting to their system.
Phantom Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 04:47 PM   #7624
Torgo

Wow. I'm still not sure why the stars aligned today, but I'll take it.

Had a comcast install today, to add service to my Premiere (which I've used for OTA only for the last couple of months).

I had run the guided setup this weekend, and reread some of the comcast/cablecard threads, so I was as ready as i could get.

Installer showed up, said he had two m-stream cards, yeah, he'd done TiVo before. As we're talking it was obvious he did know what he was doing, and he stated that 'it really depends on who you get on the phone on the other end'

He gave the person on the phone all the numbers, we waited a minute or so when the premiere changed screens saying it was downloading channel info (or something like that). A minute later, tried a number of channels including the hbo etc, and everything was there. Done, all good, no problems.

So, in less than an hour, tv, cable card, phone and Internet from comcast without a single problem

I'm still in shock, i've experienced the he'll and incompetence that comcast usually is...

just wanted to share, there *is* hope out there!

(and then as bonus TiVo announces the ipad app...good day)
Torgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 09:39 PM   #7625
footwedge

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigK View Post
As Alan posted, if you don't have a Comcast cable box or DVR then the first CableCARD should be included in your digital package. The Comcast FAQ is HERE.

I have no Comcast equipment and two TiVo HDs and have been hassling with them for over a year because they still were charging me for the CableCARD in each TiVo HD when one should have been included with the digital package and the other in the additional digital outlet fee. I was never able to get it fixed over the phone so I went down last month to the Comcast office with the FAQ in hand (like Alan did) to convince them I was being charged extra. The CSR had to make two visits to the back room to check with the manager, but I actually saw it on the screen when they changed the line items for the cards from "TiVo Series 3-cable CARD" to something that indicated it was included in the package/AO and there was no charge for it. I'll know the exact wording when I get my bill later this month. They also refunded my CableCard fees back a year or so.

My next step was going to be the We_Can_Help email address, but I'm hopeful this is the end of it.
Are they charging you for an additional outlet per card? This is the problem I have but all calls have not been helpful. I have a Tivo S3 with 2 cards and get charged for an additional HD and digital feed plus a $1.50 for the second card. This adds $15 to my monthly bill. I've asked for a multi-stream card and their response was, you guessed it, we don't have those. This along with Tivo not approving me for the $99 LS even though I initially prepaid for 3 years has me looking into u-verse.
footwedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 01:16 AM   #7626
a68oliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by footwedge View Post
Are they charging you for an additional outlet per card? This is the problem I have but all calls have not been helpful. I have a Tivo S3 with 2 cards and get charged for an additional HD and digital feed plus a $1.50 for the second card. This adds $15 to my monthly bill. I've asked for a multi-stream card and their response was, you guessed it, we don't have those. This along with Tivo not approving me for the $99 LS even though I initially prepaid for 3 years has me looking into u-verse.
No! There is no additional outlet charge for a card. If you have an additional outlet (and pay for it) then you get a card included in that price. If you have only 1 Tivo and no Comcast converter boxes, then you should not be paying for an additional outlet. If you require a 2nd card for a Tivo S3, then you pay only $1.50 for it.

Do you have an original S3 or an HD? If you have an original S3, you will need 2 cards regardless of type. If you have an HD, then 1 M-card will work if you can get it.

I had little luck getting billing corrected by phone. I had better luck getting things corrected by walking into the local office with their FAQ and rate sheet in hand. However, that also was not completely successful. I finally achieved satisfaction by contacting we_can_help@cable.comcast.com.

Have you visited an office? Have you contacted we_can_help?

I hear you regarding the discounted LS with Tivo. LS was not available when I purchased my S3 so I bought the 3 year pre-paid plan. Then I attempted to add LS at a discount when the 3 years was up. It was a no-go. Bummer.
Tivo HD November 2007
a68oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 09:01 AM   #7627
footwedge

Quote:
Originally Posted by a68oliver View Post
No! There is no additional outlet charge for a card. If you have an additional outlet (and pay for it) then you get a card included in that price. If you have only 1 Tivo and no Comcast converter boxes, then you should not be paying for an additional outlet. If you require a 2nd card for a Tivo S3, then you pay only $1.50 for it.

Do you have an original S3 or an HD? If you have an original S3, you will need 2 cards regardless of type. If you have an HD, then 1 M-card will work if you can get it.

I had little luck getting billing corrected by phone. I had better luck getting things corrected by walking into the local office with their FAQ and rate sheet in hand. However, that also was not completely successful. I finally achieved satisfaction by contacting we_can_help@cable.comcast.com.

Have you visited an office? Have you contacted we_can_help?

I hear you regarding the discounted LS with Tivo. LS was not available when I purchased my S3 so I bought the 3 year pre-paid plan. Then I attempted to add LS at a discount when the 3 years was up. It was a no-go. Bummer.
I have the HD which will take a M card or 2 singles and this is the only dvr I have in the house. I'm told they don't have / can't get the m card. So, I'm being charged the HD and digital feeds plus the $1.50 just because of the second card. Evidently their definition of an additional outlet must equate to the number of cards and not the number of boxes. I do not know. This has been going on for at least two years with me calling numerous times but to no avail. I've been to the office twice but I did not talk to anyone beyond the window and no, I have not tried we_can_help.

How can Tivo pic and choose who gets the $99 offer? I'm sure it's about $ and evidently there must have been a lot of sales in December of 07.

Thanks
footwedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 10:37 AM   #7628
JJJB

Quote:
After watching HBO(2 shows a week)on my computer for almost 3 months because I was too busy to take time off work for a tech to come and either pair or replace my cable card I called yesterday to setup an appt for Nov.24 when I know I'll be home.After 4 call attempts being hung up by the computer on and never getting to a human voice I finally got to someone.I told her my story and she "comped" my HBO.Then I told her I need a guy to come out and pair my card and/or bring new ones that WORK.I also told her send the supervisor's supervisor to come out and do it....lol She said she would.At least she was in my area and not in another country. So we'll see....................

2 days later THEY called me put ME on hold until a senior tech talked to me and tried to pair it for the 5th time. He said it was a "bad"card and couldn't do it so he told me to "keep my appt." but if I wanted to drive directly to Comcast about 15 minutes away they MIGHT just exchange my card but he couldn't give the phone number to call and find out.
Well here we are Nov.24,Comcast called me this morning and the kid got here bright and early and the first question I asked him when he walked in was "can you pair a cable card?" he said he could.He looked at my TiVo and said "wow,I haven't seen one of those in a long time"(now I got nervous) anyway.....he pushed the card in and out a couple of times called in to a "special tech number"I'm sure because he got right to someone. And he asked "how good are you at cable cards etc...." the guy must have been the CORRECT guy because he rattled off the numbers pushed the card in and out again and low and behold HBO pops right up!.So I said to him,you mean 5 calls to tech support couldn't direct me to do THAT? He said "you didn't talk to tech support you talked to customer service" I told him the last time "TECH SUPPORT" called me and the guy still couldn't do it over the phone but you did it in 5 minutes.

This is what we're talking about here.... a 3 month long run around and talking to at least 5 or 6 people and still having to have a guy make a house call for something that should've and COULD'VE been fixed 2 months ago over the phone. There was nothing wrong with cable card OR my TiVo but there's definitely a problem with the way Comcast handles tech issues.Unbelievable !!!

Last edited by JJJB : 11-30-2010 at 09:14 PM. Reason: Spelling error
JJJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 11:38 AM   #7629
cuyahoga

Ok, now both TiVo units are not working. The one that stopped working TWO MONTHS ago and now my second TiVo HD is no longer paired.

I sent back my new Series 4 since the Comcast guy said that he has had the most problems with the Series 4. Something about being on the wrong frequency. I have a refurbed Series 3 on the way.

They left me with the latest Motorola DVR to hold me over. The UI is certainly fast, but the design leaves a lot to be desired.

This is getting old.
Old 11-25-2010, 11:38 AM   #7630
cuyahoga

Ok, now both TiVo units are not working. The one that stopped working TWO MONTHS ago and now my second TiVo HD is no longer paired.

I sent back my new Series 4 since the Comcast guy said that he has had the most problems with the Series 4. Something about being on the wrong frequency. I have a refurbed Series 3 on the way.

They left me with the latest Motorola DVR to hold me over. The UI is certainly fast, but the design leaves a lot to be desired.

This is getting old.
Old 11-26-2010, 01:18 PM   #7631
Jello1996

New TiVo customer here but I've been lurking this forum for a while. Just wanted to sign up so I could share my experience. I just got my card installed today, flawlessly on first attempt, but getting somebody out here was a different story:

1) Finding out what to do: I got my TiVo last week and set it up. On Saturday I chatted with Comcast to see what I need to do in order to get set up on the TiVo and get rid of my existing DVR. I was told by the first rep that I need to bring my DVR and my TiVo into the service center and they could swap out the cable card. Now I knew from reading this thread that this was not the case, but I said ok. I went online again to chat with another rep, who gave me the same instructions.

2) Road trip to the service center: Again, knowing full well that this was not going to work, I boxed up my TiVo anyways, boxed up my DVR, and went to the Comcast service center 2 days later when they opened back up after the weekend, only for them to of course look at me like I was crazy, and to tell me I'd need a truck roll for $25. I said no and came back home, chatted with another rep who finally said that I would need a truck roll but it would be at no charge due to the inconvenience caused by the previous reps. I agreed, and I was scheduled for a 12 hour window the next day so that I could get it before the holiday.

3) Scheduled installation 1: Of course I sit at home for 12 hours only for nobody to show up. I chatted with another rep the minute my window was over and explained that I wanted installation the day after Thanksgiving, at no charge, and with an additional credit for them missing the appointment, and a window of no more than 4 hours this time. She agreed and I was set.

4) Sheduled installation 2: They arrived today one hour into their window. It was a tech that had set me up before. He's a supervisor or trainer cause he always has a trainee with him. He definitely knew what he was doing and breezed through it quickly, just looking at the instruction sheet really to jot down the numbers should I need them in the future. Within a couple of minutes, all my channels were there.

Cliffs notes:
Getting somebody out here to install the card: Very difficult
Actual installation: Easy peasy

Edit: 4 hours later, about 20 HD channels have gone missing. :|
Edit: 2 hours later, they've returned. Should I expect this drop in, drop out often? Why would that have happened?

Last edited by Jello1996 : 11-26-2010 at 04:33 PM.
Jello1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 07:14 PM   #7632
hillstrubl

I had a similar situation,
For the first day or so programming came and went, but then was fine after that.
hillstrubl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 06:57 AM   #7633
cheesesteak
Meh.

I have two TiVos. The year old HD unit is in my apartment. The three year old Series 2 is in my gf's apartment. Let's say I upgrade to a Premiere and give my gf the HD unit. Can I just pull the cable card from the HD unit, plug it into the Premiere and everything will automatically work? If the cable card is "locked" to the HD unit and I have to get a new card for the Premiere, will my gf be able to just plug the HD unit in and everything will automatically work? We both have Comcast but with different franchises.

Hail Hydra!
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:29 AM   #7634
HazelW

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
I have two TiVos. The year old HD unit is in my apartment. The three year old Series 2 is in my gf's apartment. Let's say I upgrade to a Premiere and give my gf the HD unit. Can I just pull the cable card from the HD unit, plug it into the Premiere and everything will automatically work? If the cable card is "locked" to the HD unit and I have to get a new card for the Premiere, will my gf be able to just plug the HD unit in and everything will automatically work? We both have Comcast but with different franchises.
It won't work. If you are lucky, Comcast will let you read the numbers over the phone and pair the card to the Tivo. But most likely they will require a truck-roll.
HazelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 01:49 PM   #7635
brshoemak

Had a Series2 and just recently replaced it with a Premiere. This was my experience:

1) Went to a local Comcast Service Center to request an M-Card for a self-install. I pretty much knew they wouldn't do it, but it was worth a shot and I was also able to directly schedule an appointment with a live person where I could make sure they knew the appointment was for a CableCard install and triple-checked that they knew I needed an M-card. Appointment schedule the Friday after Thanksgiving between 10am-1pm (can't believe they had to work that day, but oh well)

2) Already had the Tivo fully updated and moved so the tech had easy access to the CableCard slot. Tech showed up around 11am, I got the Tivo to the CableCard setup, tech took the M-Card, inserted it, called the headend office, got it paired. The tech tested it and everything was good. Total time, about 15 minutes.

I can't believe that the experience can be such a nightmare for some people - apparently there is a WIDE range in the quality of service. It also probably doesn't hurt that I live in a college town - I would assume there are more Tivo/CableCard installs than in some other areas.
brshoemak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 04:04 PM   #7636
Pokemon_Dad
Ruler of an Unown UI

Quote:
Originally Posted by brshoemak View Post
I can't believe that the experience can be such a nightmare for some people - apparently there is a WIDE range in the quality of service.
My first two TiVo CableCard installs were easy: I called Comcast and self-installed while the phone reps followed very simple scripts that guided me and them through the process.

Somehow this has changed, but truck rolls should not be necessary for CableCard installation. It's hard to believe they are managing it this badly. In fact it's easy to imagine a vast evil conspiracy when something goes so wrong, but probably it's just poor implementation. Most CableCard truck rolls reported here seem to take so long that there's no way Comcast is even covering costs with the $27 fee (which I got credited back to me and then some, by the way, after my third install - see my previous posts in this thread).

If the FCC really does require Comcast to support CableCard self-installs (and really will enforce the requirement) that will be great, but I'm not holding my breath.

Related thread: FCC CableCard Rule Changes
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=459730
TiVo PC / Nero LiquidTV << not recommended
Silicon Valley, CA
Pokemon_Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 05:06 AM   #7637
cuyahoga

Question Pairing but a new problem

After many, many attempts I finally made some progress with Comcast last night.

First of all, the Tech that came was the nicest so far, and didn't editorialize my preference for TiVo hardware over their own hardware.

Second, the dispatcher/person on the other end of the phone new exactly how to handle the cable card pairing.

Everything seemed fine, and it was late so as soon as we confirmed picture on both tuners of the original Series3 box, the tech left.

I only realized later that there were new problems.

While I get more channels, I still don't get some. And these channels are in the same digital tier. But I dint get the pairing screen when I attempt to tune, I get the floating black box and the 'check input / signal strength' message.

I also noticed some channels pixelate and have audio dropouts.

Since cable cards just authorize, this has to be either a bad TiVo tuner or a Comcast signal strength problem, right?

The TiVo box is a 'new' refurbed Series 3 (direct from TiVo) that replaces my original Series 3 that I thought had a bad cable card slot when Comcast couldn't get the TiVo to pair with their cable cards. This may have not been accurate, but who knows?

The second TiVo HD in the house that was also paired last night does not experience this problem.

What does everyone think is the best next step. Having been fighting this battle since October, I'm a bit tired of it and could use some advice on next steps.

Thanks, all!
Old 12-02-2010, 10:21 AM   #7638
Pokemon_Dad
Ruler of an Unown UI

Quote:
While I get more channels, I still don't get some. And these channels are in the same digital tier. But I dint get the pairing screen when I attempt to tune, I get the floating black box and the 'check input / signal strength' message.

I also noticed some channels pixelate and have audio dropouts.

Since cable cards just authorize, this has to be either a bad TiVo tuner or a Comcast signal strength problem, right?

------

The second TiVo HD in the house that was also paired last night does not experience this problem.
Pixelation (they call it "tiling" now because the digital picture breaks up into "tiles") and drop-outs are signs of a poor connection or a problem in the refurbished TiVo, not pairing issues. First thing to do is check all connections to the TiVo experiencing problems. Next thing to do is shut both TiVos down from their menus, disconnect them and switch places temporarily, so that the TiVo with problems is connected where the other TiVo is now. That will give you a better idea if it's a wiring problem in only one part of your house.

Digital TV is much less forgiving than the old analog service when it comes to wiring. A wiring problem could be anything from too much distance between the entrance and that TiVo's location (requiring an amplifier inline), to just one kink in a coax cable inside or outside your wall jack. In my case it was a tap on a pole three houses away that had water in it and caused problems when the weather approached freezing. I spent a year convincing Comcast my wiring wasn't the problem. The signal strength coming into the house was fine, except when it wasn't.

"Lucky for you" your problem may be localized to only one part of your house, and not out there somewhere. Good luck, I hope that's all it is and not a problem with the refurbished TiVo itself. Let us know what happens.
Silicon Valley, CA
Old 12-02-2010, 04:39 PM   #7639
darksurtur

Sorry if this has been asked, but I searched and got no results.

I have an HD but got a new Premiere (both lifetimed). I only need one box, so I want to switch to using the Premiere and sell off the HD.

Can I just pull the Cablecard from the HD and put it in the Premiere, then call in and pretend to be having trouble and ask them to reauthorize the card? I realize that Comcast might pair by device, but I don't want to have to deal with a truck roll and install.
darksurtur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 04:49 PM   #7640
Pokemon_Dad
Ruler of an Unown UI

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksurtur View Post
Can I just pull the Cablecard from the HD and put it in the Premiere, then call in and pretend to be having trouble and ask them to reauthorize the card? I realize that Comcast might pair by device, but I don't want to have to deal with a truck roll and install.
You don't have to pretend about anything, just call and ask them to pair the card. Make sure you insist on giving them all the numbers from the CableCard setup screen before they try sending a signal to the card. A truck roll should not be necessary, but if the general experience of the folks on this forum is any guide the telephone rep will not do the pairing right and then will insist on a truck roll. After that you should demand a refund for the unnecessary truck roll. I can offer no guarantee you'll get a refund, but you will deserve one. Please let us know what happens.
Silicon Valley, CA
Old 12-02-2010, 04:49 PM   #7641
morac
Cat God

You might as well just ask the magic 8 ball since the answer you get will be just as accurate.

I've once had success calling in and getting cards paired, but it took several hours worth of calls to do it. Most of the time it doesn't work. Sometimes the ComcastCares group can do it for you, other times they can't. Basically it's a crapshoot.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:54 PM   #7642
darksurtur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokemon_Dad View Post
I can offer no guarantee you'll get a refund, but you will deserve one. Please let us know what happens.
I will, but this won't be for a while. Probably won't be able to find time for the switch until after 12/16.

Thanks for the quick answers.
darksurtur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 03:01 PM   #7643
straypacket

Hi all,
I am considering getting a TiVo Premiere, and keeping the Comcast digital box so I can still get their On-Demand services.

Comcast is insisting that they will charge me $9.50/month for an "Additional Outlet Fee" if I keep their cable box, and get a second card for the TiVo... Even after I read her the FAQ from Comcasts own site. The rep basically said "you aren't being charged for the card, you are being charged for the digital service".

Is this right?

If I wanted to have two TiVo Premiere boxes, would I still be charged the "Additional Outlet Fee" ?

This all seems hopelessly convoluted and I am seriously considering going back to MythTV...
straypacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 06:32 AM   #7644
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

If you ditch your cable box and get two Tivos, you could get away with no outlet fee. Just tell them you need two Cablecards for a Tivo and they should only charge you $1.50 for the 'extra' card. The first card would be included with service.

If you tell them you have two Tivos, you may or may not get hit with the A/O charge.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 08:01 AM   #7645
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
If you ditch your cable box and get two Tivos, you could get away with no outlet fee. Just tell them you need two Cablecards for a Tivo and they should only charge you $1.50 for the 'extra' card. The first card would be included with service.

If you tell them you have two Tivos, you may or may not get hit with the A/O charge.
I'm not sure the exact allowances, but Comcast over the last few months has been reducing CableCARD charges to $0 in many if not most markets.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 09:45 AM   #7646
HazelW

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

The first outlet is free. It can be a TiVo or a Comcast box. The second outlet will have the $9.50 fee. The second cable card is only free if it is on the same Tivo (same outlet).
HazelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 11:24 AM   #7647
cuyahoga

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokemon_Dad View Post
Digital TV is much less forgiving than the old analog service when it comes to wiring. A wiring problem could be anything from too much distance between the entrance and that TiVo's location (requiring an amplifier inline), to just one kink in a coax cable inside or outside your wall jack. In my case it was a tap on a pole three houses away that had water in it and caused problems when the weather approached freezing. I spent a year convincing Comcast my wiring wasn't the problem. The signal strength coming into the house was fine, except when it wasn't.

"Lucky for you" your problem may be localized to only one part of your house, and not out there somewhere. Good luck, I hope that's all it is and not a problem with the refurbished TiVo itself. Let us know what happens.

This was a great troubleshooting guide. Thanks!

Anyway, since the cards were paired, I first tried swapping the coax going from the splitter to the TiVo. The splitter allows for TiVo and cable modem.

I swapped the coax cable and I was in business! All the poking, pulling and prodding to the cable serving the TiVo over the past six weeks must have done the cable in.

This was a many weeks long, frustrating process, but I have to thank this thread for giving me ideas and perspective on how to deal with this first world (but still annoying) problem.
Old 12-22-2010, 05:04 PM   #7648

Can I temporarily move tivo3 to another house?

I subscribed to comcast digital cable with one premium channel. There are two cablecards in my tivo.

If I temporarily move to another house which also has comcast digital cable, can I plug in my tivo3 and continue to use it, or do I have to call comcast to reprogram the cablecards?
Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 07:06 PM   #7649
morac
Cat God

That likely depends on how far you are moving. If you move far enough that you are on a different head-end, I doubt cards will work without contacting Comcast. Comcast will likely not like you taking the cards with you, since they are assigned to a service address.

If it's within few blocks, it shouldn't be an issue.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:11 PM   #7650
cardijp2

Comcast CableCard

Got a TiVo Premiere for Christmas and unfortunately I will be returning it.

I went to my local Comcast service center to return their HD box in return for a CableCard. Comcast wants to double dip in my area (Harrisburg, PA). They wanted to charge me $2.50 a month for one CableCard plus still charge me for the HD box I was returning which would have been another $9.50. I thought the whole purpose of CableCard was to prohibit cable companies from forcing its customers to rent their equipment. I guess technically they're not renting anymore, they're just plain taking.

While I'd love to have TiVo, I could never enjoy it knowing that every time I'd be watching it that I was getting ripped off further by Comcast. Maybe I'll get TiVo when there is less oppression from service providers. Until then, my DVD recorder does just fine.
cardijp2 is offline   Reply With Quote