TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-13-2010, 08:33 PM   #1
davezatz
Funkadelic

Best Buy lowers Premiere to $99.99

The headline pretty much says it all. Well, other than the confusion regarding what service runs these days...

davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 08:51 PM   #2
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/TiVo&#37...tivo&cp=1&lp=1

$300. Something doesn't jive. Some kind of print-only or members-only special?
Old 11-13-2010, 08:58 PM   #3
reebok

probably the ad that comes out tomorrow.
reebok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 08:59 PM   #4
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
$300. Something doesn't jive. Some kind of print-only or members-only special?
Well the circular is dated as of tomorrow, so the website and store shelves probably didn't reflect any potential new price today. I assume we'll have more clarity tomorrow.

(I got in on the 6th Ave deal - free shipping, no tax. We'll see if it holds up and if I can transfer my $6.95 MSD.)
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 09:25 PM   #5
innocentfreak

Ny Times article on lowering pricing. credit to a commenter on Dave's site. Zatz Not Funny

Quote:
On Monday, TiVo announces holiday-season price cuts on its TiVo Premier products.
This pricing confusion is really odd just on TiVo's thinking.

Best Buy makes it look like it is on sale rather than a new lower price since they are saying save $200.

If the rumor is true that the TiVos will be $100 in stores with $19.99 monthly plans, it makes no sense. Why would anyone get that rather than the $19.99 a month with $0 down? Also now if a box breaks you risk your plan increasing in price if you replace it with one bought anywhere other than from TiVo.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 09:26 PM   #6
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz View Post
Well the circular is dated as of tomorrow, so the website and store shelves probably didn't reflect any potential new price today. I assume we'll have more clarity tomorrow.

(I got in on the 6th Ave deal - free shipping, no tax. We'll see if it holds up and if I can transfer my $6.95 MSD.)
Just make sure you don't call and see if you can just replace the TSN online. I believe if you call they will automatically switch you to the 9.95 since 6.95 is no longer an option.

Old 11-13-2010, 10:08 PM   #7
alokkola

This confirms Tivo Premiere was a mega DUD! Early adopters like me got royally screwed. 66% off in 6 months.
alokkola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 10:46 PM   #8
nrc
Cracker Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by alokkola View Post
This confirms Tivo Premiere was a mega DUD! Early adopters like me got royally screwed. 66% off in 6 months.
It confirms what TiVo said from the outset - the box is cheaper to produce.

Not entirely square
nrc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 10:52 PM   #9
t1voproof

It must be a lot cheaper to produce!
t1voproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 10:53 PM   #10
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

I always figured they were aiming for a lower price with the Premiere, based on the infamous leaked CableCard info sheet, and was surprised when it came out at $300. Early adopter penalty, I guess.

I wonder if I can combine this with the $200 "upgrade" price for Lifetime?

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 10:59 PM   #11
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
I always figured they were aiming for a lower price with the Premiere, based on the infamous leaked CableCard info sheet, and was surprised when it came out at $300. Early adopter penalty, I guess.

I wonder if I can combine this with the $200 "upgrade" price for Lifetime?
Hmm don't remember the leaked CableCARD info sheet. Any links?

Some people have had luck previously, but I would imagine the slickdeal/fatwallet effect killed it. It seems like everyone and their mother over there called even as a new customer to get it before they even got the TiVo.

Old 11-13-2010, 11:18 PM   #12
t1voproof

There was this leak: http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2009-12/...-premiere-dvr/

There was also a Best Buy leak I think, but that was maybe 1 week before release.
t1voproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 11:24 PM   #13
innocentfreak

Yeah I remember those, but it sounded like it was a more detailed sheet from Cable Labs. It is probably just that sheet though. Thinking back I remember the discussions about price cuts due to dropped second CableCARD slot and outputs.

Old 11-14-2010, 12:22 AM   #14
MICHAELSD

Wow, I just bought a Premiere for full price in September. Assuming, this isn't a permanent price drop, selling these = profit.
Old 11-14-2010, 01:06 AM   #15
innocentfreak

Looks like it is confirmed....stupid TiVo.

http://www.tivo.com/

No real details since most of the site is down right now.

If you buy at $99 and pay the $19.99 per month for a year you have paid a total of $338.88 before tax. It still works out cheaper than paying $299 + $12.99 per month which comes out to $454.88. Of course most people don't pay full price, but it will be interesting to see what happens after the year is over.

Details coming in. TiVo terms and conditions updated 11/14

Quote:
TIVO PAYMENT PLANS

1. At the time of activation of a service plan, you will be required to commit to the TiVo service for a minimum of one (1) year. You can pay for a subscription to the TiVo service on a monthly, annual, or prepaid basis. Promotional Pricing may also be available from time-to-time.
2. You may purchase a subscription to the TiVo Service in one of the following ways:
1. 2.1 For TiVo Premiere boxes purchased on or after November 14, 2010:
1. 2.1.1 When purchasing a TiVo Premiere box and subscription at the same time directly from TiVo, you may select one of the following options:
1. (i) You may purchase a TiVo box and service bundle with
1. (a) a box fee of $99.99 (includes an instant $200 savings off MSRP) for the TiVo Premiere box or $299.99 (includes an instant $200 savings off MSRP) for the TiVo Premiere XL box and
2. (b) a monthly service fee of $19.99 a month with a one (1) year commitment (renews monthly after one year); or
2. (ii) You may purchase a TiVo box and service bundle on a monthly basis with
1. (a) no upfront cost for the TiVo Premiere box (an instant savings of $299 off MSRP) or a reduced upfront box fee of $199 (an instant savings of $300 off MSRP) for the TiVo Premiere XL box and
2. (b) a monthly service fee of $19.99 a month with a two (2) year commitment (renews monthly after two years); or
3. (iii) You may purchase a TiVo box at the full MSRP (no instant savings) and subscribe to the TiVo Service on a monthly basis for $12.95 a month with a one (1) year commitment (renews monthly after 1 year) or you may purchase a Product Lifetime Subscription (defined below) for a onetime fee of $399.
2. 2.1.2 When purchasing a TiVo Premiere box from a third party retailer at $99.99 (includes an instant $200 savings off MSRP) for the TiVo Premiere box or $299.99 (includes an instant $200 savings off MSRP) for the TiVo Premiere XL box, you may only subscribe to the TiVo Service on a monthly basis for $19.99 a month with a one (1) year commitment (renews monthly after one year).
2. 2.2 For all other TiVo boxes activated on or after November 14, 2010, you may subscribe to the TiVo Service on a monthly basis for $12.95 a month with a one (1) year commitment (renews monthly after 1 year), you may purchase an annual plan for one (1) year of TiVo Service for an upfront fee of $129, or you may purchase a Product Lifetime Subscription (defined below) for a onetime fee of $399.
I would think people who bought prior to the change may be able to push the issue. If not TiVo will have a PR nightmare on their hand.

Last edited by innocentfreak : 11-14-2010 at 01:17 AM.
Old 11-14-2010, 01:22 AM   #16
deandashl

The ad doesn't mention subscription costs. Gonna be some SERIOUSLY mad BB customers out there.

Me be thinking early Premiere adopters, suckers, they were.......hmm?

It's still cheaper for a current TiVo owner to do the upgrade through TiVo than buying the unit for $99. Even IF they DO allow you to lifetime, I doubt they will give the $200 "upgrade" version.

Although, things are tough over there. SO maybe if you push them over the phone.

I'm guessing even the Owner's upgrade program is about to get cheaper.

I bet $199 + $200 is just around the corner for owner upgrades after Christmas.

I read somewhere that HD sales were a couple dozen a month before the Premiere. I bet it's not THAT much more after the initial "I gotta have it" TiVo owners (like this forum) worked out.

I think it's official, the Premiere is doing VERY poorly, even by TiVo standards.
deandashl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 01:32 AM   #17
MICHAELSD

TiVo beter let me buy lifetime service for $200 since I bought the box for $300. The buyers of the $100 Premiere are only paying $7 a month more for a year, or $84, which is still a good deal. Afterwards, they pay the normal subscription price.
Old 11-14-2010, 01:32 AM   #18
innocentfreak

It is really going to be interesting to see how TiVo handles this. Does this mean if you buy one of these TiVos used off craigslist or ebay you will also be stuck with the same terms and how will you know?

Old 11-14-2010, 02:20 AM   #19
ECrispy

I bought the Premiere with the 6ave $99 deal, with no indication of the new terms, which were changed 2 days later.

If Tivo now refuses to sell me lifetime, I am going to raise holy hell. Or return my Tivo.

This is illegal bait and switch, isn't it?
ECrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 02:28 AM   #20
treaty

nuts

Yeah. This is nuts. Here's the Best Buy page:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/TiVo%26%...tivo&cp=1&lp=1

Says right on the page:
"TiVo Service as low as $8.31 per month* *Minimum 1 year service plan required"

People gonna be pissed when they buy this and find out suddenly they are locked in to $19.99 a month for a year. Apparently Tivo is taking lessons from the major cell phone companies - pretty confusing - or deceptive, depending on your point of view:

http://www.tivo.com/abouttivo/polici...onditions.html
treaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 02:32 AM   #21
ECrispy

What if i bought the Tivo today at Bestbuy, for $300. And try to activate it tomorrow, when the price is down to 100. Are they going to demand proof pf purchase, or just refuse to honor the old subscription plan?

I really hope Tivo is not stupid enough to try and pull this crap. They're just trying to trick new buyers into paying more, since $20/mo is a lot more revenue than an upfront cost.
ECrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 06:33 AM   #22
Series3Sub

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
Ny Times article on lowering pricing. credit to a commenter on Dave's site. Zatz Not Funny

This pricing confusion is really odd just on TiVo's thinking.

Best Buy makes it look like it is on sale rather than a new lower price since they are saying save $200.

If the rumor is true that the TiVos will be $100 in stores with $19.99 monthly plans, it makes no sense. Why would anyone get that rather than the $19.99 a month with $0 down? Also now if a box breaks you risk your plan increasing in price if you replace it with one bought anywhere other than from TiVo.
Agreed! Better to have the liquidity of $100 and get the $0 down deal with the same $19.99 monthly price than the 3rd party (BB) $99 "sale price" with the same $19.99 monthly subscription.
Series3Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 06:59 AM   #23
hoyty

Is there an option at Best Buy to purchase for the $300 price point to get the 12.95 a month pricing? Reading TiVo's site it seems like the $99 price discount is an option not a requirement?

Somebody mentioned SKU's on these models. Did Best Buy really replace all the SKU's last night nationwide to to be able to differentiate those sold yesterday and before and those sold today and forward?

Did the $19.95 monthly apply to those units sold at $99 with purchase of TV?

Lastly, does the $99 price point invalidate all MSD and upgrade lifetime for existing customers?
hoyty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 07:46 AM   #24
jgantert

Those terms look pretty straightforward. Buy from 3rd party at $99.99 and you're required to pay $19.99/mo for a year. No option for PLS.

Trick would be to find someone like woot.com or so selling it for $99.95 or something.

Oh, and ECrispy, your good since you purchased it before today.
jgantert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 07:49 AM   #25
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
If you buy at $99 and pay the $19.99 per month for a year you have paid a total of $338.88 before tax. It still works out cheaper than paying $299 + $12.99 per month which comes out to $454.88. Of course most people don't pay full price, but it will be interesting to see what happens after the year is over.
For those asking why pay $99 and be forced to pay $20 a month when there is you can get a "free" box and pay $20 a month, it's because the later requires a 2 year contract instead of a 1 year one. That's $479.76 before tax.

I know a new TiVo user who just got a Premiere with lifetime for around $450 dollars so none of the above prices are good.

I'm assuming that once the one year contract is up (i.e. the $338.88 + tax has been paid), you'll be free to upgrade to lifetime or switch to whatever the going monthly fee is.

What's misleading about this entire thing is that the Best Buy add makes no mention of the new monthly subscription price or the fact that you are not allowed to subscribe to lifetime service if you buy the $99 box. It simply looks like a sale. I'll bet there will be a lot of returns of the $99 box once people figure out they are locked into a $20 a month year long contract.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 07:50 AM   #26
Austin Bike

Just upgraded to a premiere XL from an old single tuner S2 and love it so far. I checked my tivo upgrades offer online and the price is still the same (all of my units have lifetime) so there is no benefit in calling them.

Having HD in the bedroom is like night and day. I know because my wife commented on how great it looks, normally she is immune to new technology, but when she notices it is a big deal.
Austin Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 08:29 AM   #27
trip1eX

Wow guess mine is going back unless they give me lifetime for $299 on it.
trip1eX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 08:40 AM   #28
plazman30

Companies change pricing and plans all the time. I bought my wife a nook for $249.00. 2 months later, it was $199.00. I bought a refurb Premiere for $169 and am paying $12.99 a month.

I love both products and don't regret the decision. If you expect a company to give you a refund every time there is a price change, you'll never own anything.
plazman30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 08:53 AM   #29
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by plazman30
Companies change pricing and plans all the time. I bought my wife a nook for $249.00. 2 months later, it was $199.00. I bought a refurb Premiere for $169 and am paying $12.99 a month.

I love both products and don't regret the decision. If you expect a company to give you a refund every time there is a price change, you'll never own anything.
The difference here is that the price is changing, but they are only advertising half the change; the lower base price. The higher service cost change isn't advertised and the only way to find it is in some obscure corner of Tivo's web site. It is sort of bait and switch unless they inform you of the higher service charge at the time of purchase. It isn't really because you can return the product to retail within 30 days. This might end up hurting TiVo since I think they'll end up with a lot of open box returns which can't be resold as new.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 10:04 AM   #30
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Yep, especially since BB's website still says you can get Tivo service plans for as low as $8.31 a month. I would imagine they will fix this soon after Tivo finds out, though.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/TiVo%26%23174%3B+-+Premiere+High-Definition+Digital+Video+Recorder/9744971.p?id=1218165774529&skuId=9744971&st=tivo&cp=1&lp=1

"TiVo Service as low as $8.31 per month* *Minimum 1 year service plan required. Early termination fee and other restrictions apply. Call (877)BUY-TIVO for service plan details."
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote