TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-11-2010, 12:00 PM   #2821
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewS3 View Post
I just tried kmttg on my Tivo HD after being unhappy with Tivo Desktop plus in encoding for my mobile phone. I set up a profile that has great image quality but the audio is a second or two out of sync.
It is my understanding that the only way to fix this is to buy VideoRedo for $50+. Is this correct? Is there another process that will let me automatically download from my Tivo and encode using a custom encoding profile which does not require additional commercial software?
Some have been able to avoid A/V sync issues without using VideoRedo QSfix by using one of the Hanbrake encoding profiles (hb_*) instead of ffmpeg ones (ff_*).
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 12:55 PM   #2822
Hcour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hcour View Post
Started having a problem with kmttg last few days. When copying a program from my Tivo to my computer it stops at about the halfway mark.

I'm running Win 7 and kmttg v0p7k. I tried installing the latest ver of Java tonight but that didn't solve the problem. Thanks for any help.
Bump.
Hcour is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 01:16 PM   #2823
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hcour View Post
Started having a problem with kmttg last few days. When copying a program from my Tivo to my computer it stops at about the halfway mark.

I'm running Win 7 and kmttg v0p7k. I tried installing the latest ver of Java tonight but that didn't solve the problem. Thanks for any help.
Most likely an issue on TiVo server side perhaps due to glitch in a recording at specific times. Try downloading that show using a web browser (copy the URL kmttg shows in the message window and paste in your web browser and when prompted use tivo for login and your 10 digit MAK as password). If that also fails then there really is not much you can do short of trying to record that episode again on your TiVo.
(TiVo goes through a CPU intensive decrypt, demux, remux and re-encrypt cycle during TTG transfer that sometimes fails when there are glitches in the recording and in those cases no TTG client can get around the problem).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-12-2010, 04:14 PM   #2824
Hcour

When I logon via the web browser I get the following msg: This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.
Old 11-12-2010, 04:28 PM   #2825
moyekj

You are probably using the wrong URL. Simply use the following URL to get list of shows in your Now Playing list:
Code:
https://<tivoip>/nowplaying/index.html
Obviously replace <tivoip> with your TiVo IP address. Then find the show and click on download link for PS format (not TS format).

Old 11-12-2010, 05:31 PM   #2826
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
You are probably using the wrong URL. Simply use the following URL to get list of shows in your Now Playing list:
Code:
https://<tivoip>/nowplaying/index.html
Obviously replace <tivoip> with your TiVo IP address. Then find the show and click on download link for PS format (not TS format).
I would also add that you need to use:

User: tivo
Password: your media access key

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 06:00 PM   #2827
Hcour

Great, thanks. I think I've found the problem. I recently downgraded my bandwidth with my ISP and while transferring the files thru kmttg from my tivo I was also downloading torrents from various websites, which were using a lot of my available bandwidth and I think that was the problem. I just transferred a file using kmttg, w/o any other simultaneous downloads going, and it worked fine. Does that make sense?
Old 11-12-2010, 09:17 PM   #2828
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

How much bandwidth you're getting from your ISP isn't relevant, unless your TiVo and your PC are in different houses or something. Normally, that would be a transfer over the LAN, not involving your ISP at all. The torrents could run at full blast, and would still only subtract a portion of your LAN bandwidth (depending on your connection type, etc.).

Example: My TiVo and PC are connected via 100 Mbps Ethernet. My ISP connection is 25/15 Mbps. So, even with my ISP link saturated, I should have 75 Mbps free.

Of course there are other issues beyond raw bandwidth. Torrents are pretty demanding, and can mess with some routers, due to the sheer number of connections.

Last edited by wmcbrine : 11-12-2010 at 09:23 PM.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 11:28 PM   #2829
Hcour

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
Of course there are other issues beyond raw bandwidth. Torrents are pretty demanding, and can mess with some routers, due to the sheer number of connections.
It might be something like that then. It seems to be working fine now as long as I'm not dl'ing torrents at the same time.

Thanks for the info.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:02 AM   #2830
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
...Of course there are other issues beyond raw bandwidth. Torrents are pretty demanding, and can mess with some routers, due to the sheer number of connections.
There could be a lot of disk activity as well, if the swarm was fairly big. Writes from kmttg download on one portion of the disk, writes from torrent peers/seeds on another portion, and reads from torrent peers/leechers from yet another portion.

orangeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:53 PM   #2831
mkstretch

I have used Kmttg to try and remove commercials automatically, but it still leaves some commercials. Is there a special way to set it up to get all the commercials? Thanks!!
mkstretch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 01:14 AM   #2832
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkstretch View Post
I have used Kmttg to try and remove commercials automatically, but it still leaves some commercials. Is there a special way to set it up to get all the commercials? Thanks!!
Usually what it uses to look for commercials is the search for the 2+ seconds of black/blank frames to indicate the start/end of the commercials, but sometimes there are less then the 2 seconds so it ignores those. Sometimes the 2+ seconds are followed by actual parts of the show, so you may have missed those parts if you let it do the cutting automatically.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 07:30 AM   #2833
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
Usually what it uses to look for commercials is the search for the 2+ seconds of black/blank frames to indicate the start/end of the commercials, but sometimes there are less then the 2 seconds so it ignores those. Sometimes the 2+ seconds are followed by actual parts of the show, so you may have missed those parts if you let it do the cutting automatically.
Actually, I believe the indicator that comskip weights more heavily is the presence (or absence) of a channel logo. kmttg allows the use of individual comskip.ini files, customized to a specific show's characteristics. I've had some success using different comskip.ini files (specifically, I increased the "max_commercial_size" parameter to account for a 3-4 minute Dish commercial that airs during Star Trek: TNG), but I've never been able to customize a comskip.ini file to successfully keep the last 30 second snippets of shows like The Office, 30 Rock or Community, despite the presence of "always_keep_last_seconds". I've noticed those snippets don't include a channel logo, which may be influencing comskip.

Other comskip.ini parms to look at:
"cut_on_ar_change"
"logo_present_modifier"
"max_commercial_size" (as mentioned)
"min_show_segment_length"

It would be nice for me to offer some of my customized comskip.ini files, but I don't think they'd be "universal" enough to work in every environment.

It's also a tedious process to test changes. In the past, I've downloaded and decrypted shows using kmttg, and stopped the kmttg process there. I then used comskip "standalone" with the various changes to it's ini file, and either run it through VideoReDo, or looked at the output files created by comskip (.VPrj? .edl?). Some tweaks I've made rendered comskip completely ineffective with no commercials cut at all. Others tweaks cut too much. With time and patience, I'm pretty sure comskip can be fine tuned to account for most if not all commercial breaks for a show. Although I might have the time, I don't really have the patience, so I live with a "good enough" setup.

Old 11-16-2010, 07:56 AM   #2834
innocentfreak

I wonder if ShowAnalyzer would work better than comskip. You should be able to set it up with DVRmstoolbox to monitor the folders the way you can with 7MC and then use it to edit commercials.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 09:50 AM   #2835
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
I wonder if ShowAnalyzer would work better than comskip. You should be able to set it up with DVRmstoolbox to monitor the folders the way you can with 7MC and then use it to edit commercials.
There's an add on called Comskip Proxy from the same company: http://www.dragonglobal.biz/download/

Quote:
This will let you use ShowAnalyzer with anything that is hardcoded to use ComSkip. Just replace comskip.exe with this file and it will run ShowAnalyzer on the file instead. For aware applications, it will comskip.exe will stay alive until ShowAnalyzer is finished.
This looks like a great way to test out ShowAnalyzer without any program changes to kmttg.

Old 11-16-2010, 10:14 AM   #2836
innocentfreak

Cool I didn't even notice that. I know most Media Center users swear by Show Analyzer and Ben on engadgethd did a great write-up on how to set it up for 7MC.

I will have to see if I can find time this week to play with it.

Old 11-16-2010, 02:38 PM   #2837
ccrider2

Question Newby with transfer failures

I'm getting frequent transfer failures with this error in the log pane at the bottom. The 'cookie........' is always a different number.

Is this error telling me anything?
Got an idea what this means?

C:\KMTTG\kmttg_v0p7q\curl\curl.exe --retry 3 --anyauth --globoff --user tivo:MAK --insecure --cookie-jar C:\DOCUME~1\Chris\LOCALS~1\Temp\cookiexxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.tm p

Thanks for any suggestions,
ccrider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 03:31 PM   #2838
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrider2 View Post
I'm getting frequent transfer failures with this error in the log pane at the bottom. The 'cookie........' is always a different number.

Is this error telling me anything?
Got an idea what this means?

C:\KMTTG\kmttg_v0p7q\curl\curl.exe --retry 3 --anyauth --globoff --user tivo:MAK --insecure --cookie-jar C:\DOCUME~1\Chris\LOCALS~1\Temp\cookiexxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.tm p

Thanks for any suggestions,
That's not an error message - that's part of the curl command being used for downloading (though you did not post the http part of it). The cookie file is simply a temporary unique file name used for each run so it's normal to change every time. There must be some other error messages being shown along with an exit status of some sort. i.e. post the whole error message that shows up in red in message window.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:36 AM   #2839
ccrider2

Quote:
That's not an error message - that's part of the curl command being used for downloading (though you did not post the http part of it). The cookie file is simply a temporary unique file name used for each run so it's normal to change every time. There must be some other error messages being shown along with an exit status of some sort. i.e. post the whole error message that shows up in red in message window.
As I recall, that was the only thing there. The transfer just stops and shows a very low bit-rate. I changed the configuration to use Java instead of Curl, and had better success.

Any disadvantage of using Java over Curl?

Thanks Much,
ccrider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 11:13 AM   #2840
marbordom

java or curl downloads

In the past I had no luck for a while with curl at all under Windows 7.
This forum has helped me out and finally I believe that this problem others as well are seeing triggered to implement the option "use java for download".

Now since I have switched to almost every show being in HD my downloads frequently stall again - with either java or curl.
1) The TIVO Series 3 I have is not very reliable in its web serving
2) kmttg does not time out during .TiVo downloads. That stalls the entire kmttg service and it would be great if a monitor could be implemented to terminate stuck downloads and queue them for another try after the next download has completed.

I have monitored my auto.log.0 file with a Perl script last night and the download of one show was stuck from 2am to 10am this morning. Then I restarted kmttg service but this is not very graceful and leaves files which are then not removable anymore (Windows permissions) - just a pain.

To investigate further I currently only download and decrypt files and I get the feeling that the Tivo serves download better during the day than at night when its load is higher during recording. As I read here the TIVO's performance is not very high for transcoding recordings for downloads.

Note: Even when downloads work some 1hour HD episodes take ~2hours with ~ 1Mbyte/sec (8MBps) give and take. This is not impressive.

Question: What exactly does the Reset Tivo Web server do?
marbordom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 11:15 AM   #2841
HockeyFan

Having issue with files being deleted after downloaded.

I do not have 'delete .tivo file after download' checked.

If I add just one file to the queue it downlads fine. If I add multiple files it deletes all but the last one after its downlads.

I did re-install java prior to this problem. Is this a java issue? has anyone had this issue?

I have all profiles removed and just download the tivo file to offload storage space. my only selection is the meta data.

Thanks.
HockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 03:50 PM   #2842
sirfergy

I tried using the ShowAnalyzer proxy, but it doesn't seem to be doing anything. Is there something special I have to do?
sirfergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 04:00 PM   #2843
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFan View Post
Having issue with files being deleted after downloaded.

I do not have 'delete .tivo file after download' checked.

If I add just one file to the queue it downlads fine. If I add multiple files it deletes all but the last one after its downlads.

I did re-install java prior to this problem. Is this a java issue? has anyone had this issue?

I have all profiles removed and just download the tivo file to offload storage space. my only selection is the meta data.

Thanks.
There is no "delete .tivo file after download" option. If all you have checked is "metadata" task then a download and metadata file generation is all that runs, no deletes are in effect regardless of option settings. So short of the downloads failing for some reason they should not get deleted. Queue up a couple of files and let them run through and then post the entire contents of the kmttg message window. It should be pretty obvious from that what is happening.
Only other thing I can think of is if you have set the File Naming setting such that each show does not get a unique file name relative to other shows then possibly the shows are overwriting each other if you have Overwrite existing files option set, or not downloading at all if you have that option disabled.

Old 11-17-2010, 04:07 PM   #2844
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirfergy View Post
I tried using the ShowAnalyzer proxy, but it doesn't seem to be doing anything. Is there something special I have to do?
I haven't had a chance to play with it yet. Obvious question but did you also install and setup Show Analyzer?

Worst case you can post on Show Analyzer forums.

I am going to try to mess with it this weekend.

Old 11-17-2010, 04:12 PM   #2845
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by marbordom View Post
Question: What exactly does the Reset Tivo Web server do?
Most likely nothing useful. It executes following url:
Code:
http://<tivoip>/TiVoConnect?Command=ResetServer
That command was documented in HMO documentation (back when TiVo actually still had a web site with such information) but it most likely doesn't do anything useful, though the TiVo web server does accept the command.

I don't know what to tell you about stalled and/or slow downloads. With both my S3 OLED and Premiere units I've never had those kinds of issues (downloading from various OSs including XP, Vista 64, Win 7 64 and Linux) so I do not have conditions to debug anything along those lines. Apparently the web servers in THD units are more prone to having those issues perhaps because they are too underpowered. If you are getting very slow transfers and/or stalls I would check the more obvious things you have control over such as:
* Your network connections (wired is always better than wireless)
* Firewall and antivirus software, especially Kaspersky and the like can cause issues.

Last edited by moyekj : 11-17-2010 at 04:17 PM.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:24 PM   #2846
marbordom

Stalled downloads

Thanks for the response.

As to the Reset Web Server. I sometimes use it but have no clue if it actually re-enabled transfer of it the server just revived its functionality over night on its own.

As to the stalled downloads: I made an experiment today in only downloading and decrypting 31 episodes of one show in SD quality. 22 of these 31 downloads have already completed w/o hickup while the Tivo did not record anything this afternoon. The test actually uses c:\cygwin\bin\curl.exe insteda of the 'java option' for download. Either SD or being 'idle' seems to help.

My next test will be to run only HD shows and see how this goes before I re-enable the qsfix, adscan and adcut again. I noticed that some VideoRedo3.exe tasks stay alive when I restart the service. Is it possible that kmttg does not purge some of its processes like:
cmd.exe /c ... VB script ...
when net stop kmttg is called ?

BTW: I am using Win 7 , connect Tivo and and Acer Revo via a 100MBit switch of a Buffalo router. Windows runs AVG and its own firewall.

Quote:
Most likely nothing useful. It executes following url:
Code:
http://<tivoip>/TiVoConnect?Command=ResetServer
That command was documented in HMO documentation (back when TiVo actually still had a web site with such information) but it most likely doesn't do anything useful.

I don't know what to tell you about stalled downloads. With both my S3 OLED and Premiere units I've never had those kinds of issues so I do not have conditions to debug anything along those lines. Apparently the web servers in THD units are more prone to having those issues perhaps because they are too underpowered. If you are getting very slow transfers and/or stalls the only thing I would check are things you have control over such as:
* Your network connections (wired is always better than wireless)
* Firewall and antivirus software, especially Kaspersky and the like can cause issues.

marbordom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 04:43 PM   #2847
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by marbordom View Post
My next test will be to run only HD shows and see how this goes before I re-enable the qsfix, adscan and adcut again. I noticed that some VideoRedo3.exe tasks stay alive when I restart the service. Is it possible that kmttg does not purge some of its processes like:
For something like VideoRedo note that is is really a 2 level deep command: a call to cscript which in turn initiates VideoRedo COM jobs. So by killing cscript alone this does not kill VideoRedo. For recent kmttg releases I use a scheme for the various VideoRedo scripts which monitors the presence of a file while it's running such that if the file is no longer present then VideoRedo exits. i.e. To kill a VideoRedo job it simply means deleting a file which causes VideoRedo and cscript jobs to exit. That's what happens under controlled circumstances. When shutting down service it may not be gracefully calling all appropriate kill procedures such as the above. In any case that should not be affecting downloads.

The fact that your SD downloads work very well and your trouble is with HD downloads does seem to point the finger at the TiVo having trouble doing it's conversions properly for TTG transfers - either glitches in the stream or too big of a load for processor to handle (since HD files obviously involve more processing than SD files on TiVo side).

Old 11-17-2010, 05:13 PM   #2848
sirfergy

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
I haven't had a chance to play with it yet. Obvious question but did you also install and setup Show Analyzer?

Worst case you can post on Show Analyzer forums.

I am going to try to mess with it this weekend.
It runs ok standalone, but executing comskip.exe (the proxy) doesn't seem to do anything.
sirfergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 07:26 PM   #2849
HockeyFan

Download failed to file: G:\TIVO3\Avatar (11_06_2010).TiVo
Exit code: 23

curl: (23) Failed writing body (2293 != 10416)

all files get same failure messages except last one in queue which succeeds.

If I set one of the failed files to be last in another queue it will succeed.

Had no problems for last three weeks.
HockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 07:41 PM   #2850
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFan View Post
Download failed to file: G:\TIVO3\Avatar (11_06_2010).TiVo
Exit code: 23

curl: (23) Failed writing body (2293 != 10416)

all files get same failure messages except last one in queue which succeeds.

If I set one of the failed files to be last in another queue it will succeed.

Had no problems for last three weeks.
Check volume G (disk space, etc). curl is not able to write all the data properly to that volume is the error being printed out.