TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-06-2010, 01:27 PM   #211
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredqwest View Post
Since I have a Duet.... thought I'd give this a try....

And no it only recognizes 1 drive.... probably because the underlying Linux OS it uses does not support USB port multiplying.

Scotty

richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 06:14 PM   #212
comer

Supersize has been released. You will get 317 HD hours from 2TB drive. Enjoy!

The old command-line guide is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
comer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 06:18 PM   #213
efrsysop
IT Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by comer View Post
Supersize has been released. You will get 317 HD hours from 2TB drive. Enjoy!
317 HD hours indeed!

This is working perfectly for me, thanks so much Comer once again, for all of you hard work.

Of course people are going to want to know how truncated backup is coming along with external storage....

Still reading in the -%?
efrsysop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 06:24 PM   #214
comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by efrsysop View Post
317 HD hours indeed!

This is working perfectly for me, thanks so much Comer once again, for all of you hard work.

Of course people are going to want to know how truncated backup is coming along with external storage....

Still reading in the -%?
Yep, still negative. Shame on you, Tivo, using int in 21st century
Backup will come eventually

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-07-2010, 04:43 PM   #215
jmill

317 hours here as well! Thanks comer, everything worked perfectly!
jmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 08:28 AM   #216
km

External Drive Not Connected Error

I'm trying to expand a TivoHD from 1TB internal to 2TB internal. This unit has already been expanded once from the original stock internal to the 1TB using mfslive.

I did the copy and expand which seemed to work. At least it told me I had something like 1.8TB total.

Then I plugged it in to the Tivo, which complained that I had an external drive which was not plugged in. I have never had any external drive. I did the only thing I could which was to agree to have it clear the external drive. That results in my getting back to just the 1TB space on the 2TB drive.

I also tried a copy/expand/supersize. That gives the same external error, and clearing the "external" gets it into a powerup/almost done loop.

I presume the problem is the previous mfslive expansion. Is there any way around this?
km is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 08:43 AM   #217
comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by km View Post
I'm trying to expand a TivoHD from 1TB internal to 2TB internal. This unit has already been expanded once from the original stock internal to the 1TB using mfslive.

I did the copy and expand which seemed to work. At least it told me I had something like 1.8TB total.

Then I plugged it in to the Tivo, which complained that I had an external drive which was not plugged in. I have never had any external drive. I did the only thing I could which was to agree to have it clear the external drive. That results in my getting back to just the 1TB space on the 2TB drive.

I also tried a copy/expand/supersize. That gives the same external error, and clearing the "external" gets it into a powerup/almost done loop.

I presume the problem is the previous mfslive expansion. Is there any way around this?
Unfortunately - no, unless you want to lose all your recordings. When restoring with expansion MFSTools/WinMFS does (almost) the same thing as JMFS - adds extra partitions. And there are only so many partitions Tivo can take. So when you do expand again, the new partition is one too many for Tivo.

You can expand THD drive with JMFS either going from stock or from a drive restored by WinMFS without expansion (I don't know if WinMFS has such option, but I believe MFSTools do).

Old 11-08-2010, 10:21 AM   #218
retiredqwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by km View Post

I guess I can comment on this now....

I spent this weekend trying to expand a stock THD to winmfs and then use JMFS to expand to a larger drive and have it work in the THD. It doesn't, in my case the THD would boot and report 21 hrs HD. I tried this twice....

After several emails back and forth, Comer came to the conclusion on how many partitions the TIVO can read.

So, yes you can use JMFS to expand a THD to a larger drive, you just have to use the stock drive as the source.

THD 1.5TB Seagate = 237 hrs HD
Premiere WD20EVDS = 317 hrs HD.
XL4 = 318 hrs HD
retiredqwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 02:16 PM   #219
lessd

Quote:
Unfortunately - no, unless you want to lose all your recordings. When restoring with expansion MFSTools/WinMFS does (almost) the same thing as JMFS - adds extra partitions. And there are only so many partitions Tivo can take. So when you do expand again, the new partition is one too many for Tivo.

You can expand THD drive with JMFS either going from stock or from a drive restored by WinMFS without expansion (I don't know if WinMFS has such option, but I believe MFSTools do).
WinMFS does have have the ability to just use the stock space, after you restore the image the program will ask you if you want to use the extra space, just answer no and your large drive will only have the original image on it and use only only the space that the original drive had.

Old 11-08-2010, 02:17 PM   #220
coold8

New Link

Hi guys,

Posted new revision on server in case mediafire stops working or whatever, as a backup. Thanks for the new Version!

New link:

http://www.thesocialworldwide.com/jmfs-rev104.iso.zip

Old Version will still be kept on the server if someone needs it.

-Dave

---------------------------------

(1) Tivo Roamio Pro
(1) Tivo Roamio
(1) Tivo Premiere 4XL
(1) Tivo Premiere
coold8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 06:50 PM   #221
comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by coold8 View Post
Hi guys,

Posted new revision on server in case mediafire stops working or whatever, as a backup. Thanks for the new Version!

New link:

http://www.thesocialworldwide.com/jmfs-rev104.iso.zip

Old Version will still be kept on the server if someone needs it.

-Dave
Thanks a lot! I added link to your mirror to the guide

Old 11-10-2010, 01:30 PM   #222
jkwaterman

External expansion drive with upgraded internal drive

With the premiere, if you have an upgraded internal drive, do you still need a software hack to add an external expansion drive? Is there a thread discussing how this is done with the premiere, or is it the same procedure as the Tivi HD? I have seen comments that this has been done, but they did not elaborate.
jkwaterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 02:08 PM   #223
comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkwaterman View Post
With the premiere, if you have an upgraded internal drive, do you still need a software hack to add an external expansion drive? Is there a thread discussing how this is done with the premiere, or is it the same procedure as the Tivi HD? I have seen comments that this has been done, but they did not elaborate.
You can do it with the current set of tools. However, if your total storage will be greater than 2Tb then you will experience a glitch of unknown consequences. So you better off just using 2tb drive.

Old 11-10-2010, 02:40 PM   #224
aaronwt
HD Addict

I think I'm ready to try this upgrade. I'm going to sell one of my XL boxes and put a 1TB drive in a regular Premiere. I have a new two platter hitachi drive that has been sitting around for almost a year that I willl use for it.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 11:17 PM   #225
chalooch101

expand an expanded drive

i upgraded my tivo premiere to a 1tb now i want to upgrate the 1tb to a 2tb. if i follow the same steps will i be able to copy the 1tb to the 2 tb
chalooch101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 11:31 PM   #226
JFalc

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I have ran the upgrade on two Premiers and the "version 68" cd worked great.

If I want to 'supersize' my undersized 2tb drive, is there such a feature in the new 1.04 version ? I am asking if this can be done without 'copying' or starting over. In essence, I want to 'expand' and already copied and expanded drive (pre Nov version).?

Will this work with v. 1.04?
JFalc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 08:39 AM   #227
comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalooch101 View Post
i upgraded my tivo premiere to a 1tb now i want to upgrate the 1tb to a 2tb. if i follow the same steps will i be able to copy the 1tb to the 2 tb
No, sorry You can expand only once from stock drive. You can not expand an already expanded drive.

Old 11-12-2010, 08:41 AM   #228
comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFalc View Post
Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I have ran the upgrade on two Premiers and the "version 68" cd worked great.

If I want to 'supersize' my undersized 2tb drive, is there such a feature in the new 1.04 version ? I am asking if this can be done without 'copying' or starting over. In essence, I want to 'expand' and already copied and expanded drive (pre Nov version).?

Will this work with v. 1.04?
You can "supersize" at any time without copying or starting over. You can not expand the same drive more than once.

Old 11-12-2010, 07:24 PM   #229
davidahn

[quote=comer;8167127]Plug-n-Play is supported for WD DVR expander only. For generic ESATA tool is coming soon

What's the word on generic eSATA external drive support (non-WD My DVR Expander)? I bought two 2TB drives, and I'm itching to have a 4 TB monster TiVo. I haven't even upgraded the internal HD yet, thought I'd do it all at once.

I initially got very excited about Hulu Plus, thinking I didn't need to clutter my hard drive with shows I've watched, but they're pulling stuff off like crazy. So it turns out I really do need a HUGE capacity TiVo.

Thanks in advance!

David
davidahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 12:55 PM   #230
comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidahn View Post
What's the word on generic eSATA external drive support (non-WD My DVR Expander)? I bought two 2TB drives, and I'm itching to have a 4 TB monster TiVo. I haven't even upgraded the internal HD yet, thought I'd do it all at once.

I initially got very excited about Hulu Plus, thinking I didn't need to clutter my hard drive with shows I've watched, but they're pulling stuff off like crazy. So it turns out I really do need a HUGE capacity TiVo.
In short - bug-limited by Tivo. But you can do it if you are adventurous enough Read about it here and here.

Old 11-13-2010, 11:10 PM   #231
Tivoitis

I've got a couple of Tivo HD's and I'm going to try to upgrade using the Western Digital WD20EURS, a 2TB drive. Do I need to worry about the Advanced Format? I still have my original drive available as a source, but I sure it's a pretty ancient software version on there. I had upgraded to a 750GB drive right after I bought them originally, so it's probably a 3yr old version of the THD software.

Will I have problems using such an old version? Should I clone the drive, install and let the software update, then pull it out after the software is up-to-date and then expand and supersize it? Or can I just clone, expand, and supersize it from the the get go?
Tivoitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 08:40 AM   #232
Anthony GT

Quote:
You can "supersize" at any time without copying or starting over. You can not expand the same drive more than once.
Just tried to Supersize on my 2TB drive and it resulted in no change in recording capacity. The drive was expanded using the previous version of the expander. It seems like a pretty simple process so I'm not sure what I am missing. The only think I can think of is that I used a USB --> SATA converter. Do I need a direct SATA connection?
Anthony GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 09:36 AM   #233
comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony GT View Post
Just tried to Supersize on my 2TB drive and it resulted in no change in recording capacity. The drive was expanded using the previous version of the expander. It seems like a pretty simple process so I'm not sure what I am missing. The only think I can think of is that I used a USB --> SATA converter. Do I need a direct SATA connection?
By recording capacity , do you mean space bar or system info?

Old 11-14-2010, 09:43 AM   #234
Anthony GT

Quote:
By recording capacity , do you mean space bar or system info?
System info. It stayed at 317 HD hours.

Wait a sec. Tha's what it's supposed to be isn't it? I need to stop doing these things early in the morning.
Old 11-14-2010, 09:45 AM   #235
comer

Quote:
System info. It stayed at 317 HD hours.
Well, that's what it supposed to be after Supersize Without it, system would show 287 HD hours. So you are supersized!

Old 11-14-2010, 09:49 AM   #236
Anthony GT

Quote:
Well, that's what it supposed to be after Supersize Without it, system would show 287 HD hours. So you are supersized!
Thanks Comer. I realized it right after I posted it. I vow to do no more hacks until after 10:00am!

What should a 1 TB drive end up with?
Old 11-14-2010, 10:28 AM   #237
comer

Quote:
Thanks Comer. I realized it right after I posted it. I vow to do no more hacks until after 10:00am!

What should a 1 TB drive end up with?
I don't remember clearly. I think without it - 156, with 180-ish.

Old 11-14-2010, 11:08 AM   #238
Anthony GT

Quote:
I don't remember clearly. I think without it - 156, with 180-ish.
Hmmm, my Premiere with 1 TB drive is showing 145 HD hours after Supersize. Will it mess anything up if I try to Supersize it again?
Old 11-14-2010, 12:32 PM   #239
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tivoitis View Post
I've got a couple of Tivo HD's and I'm going to try to upgrade using the Western Digital WD20EURS, a 2TB drive. Do I need to worry about the Advanced Format? I still have my original drive available as a source, but I sure it's a pretty ancient software version on there. I had upgraded to a 750GB drive right after I bought them originally, so it's probably a 3yr old version of the THD software.

Will I have problems using such an old version? Should I clone the drive, install and let the software update, then pull it out after the software is up-to-date and then expand and supersize it? Or can I just clone, expand, and supersize it from the the get go?
Well...AFAIK no one has tried upgrading with the new WD20EURS AV/GP drive so you'll be a bit of a TiVo Pioneer!

TiVo, Linux, Apple, etc. are unaffected by the 400K sector "advanced format"...it's only a Windows issue.

Based on some other reports, it would probably be best to slip the original TiVo drive back in, force a connection and update before upgrading. (FWIW updates are not incremental so it will go from whatever's on there to the latest.)

If you want to receive the latest update ASAP you can try forcing a connection to TiVo to see if it will download. (It may take several connections before the update will appear.)

1. TiVo Central
2. Messages and settings
3. Settings
4. Phone and network
5. Connect to the TiVo service now

Once the download has finished and loaded look at the "Last Status" line on that screen or in System Information and if it says "Pending restart" instead of a date your new software will automatically install at 2 a.m. your time. Or you can reboot TiVo and it will install the update immediately. You will see these two screens during the reboot process when it does.

You can reboot TiVo via the menu screens:

1. TiVo Central
2. Messages & Setup
3. Restart or reset system
4. Restart the TiVo DVR

Or you can simply unplug it, wait about 10 seconds for the hard drive to spin down and plug it back in.

If you have the patience it would be helpful if you could perform the upgrade, install the drive, see if it will boot up and if so if it will boot up from a menu restart. That would be valuable information to determine if this particular drive has the soft reboot issue (hangs at the "Welcome" screen after a menu restart). If it does hang, either at the initial boot or a menu restart you will probably need to run the wdidle3.exe program to extend the Intellipark timeout to five minutes. (See the Drive Expansion FAQ, Section IV, #29 for details: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...60#post5616160.) I suspect that it won't be an issue since this is a new model and other models manufactured after September 15th or so no longer have to have the firmware updated.

If you could also give us the drive's manufacture date that would be valuable too. TIA for that.

Happy upgrading!
Old 11-14-2010, 12:33 PM   #240
richsadams

Quote:
Hmmm, my Premiere with 1 TB drive is showing 145 HD hours after Supersize. Will it mess anything up if I try to Supersize it again?
you can Supersize at any time w/o affecting any of your recordings, etc. The result s/b 156 hours.