TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-05-2010, 11:45 AM   #1
dsa1971

Tivo HD stops at Welcome Screen

My Tivo HD recently stopped working. It boots to the Welcome Screen and then just goes to black screen and my TV displays message No Signal. I have removed the hard drive and run the wd diagnostics as well as hddscan on it and they come back fine. The Tivo fan is still running and I can hear the drive still spinning. I'm not sure what else to check. I hooked the Tivo up to a different tv and cable just to make it was not that and had the same issue. Any ideas on what to check? I actually ordered a new Tivo Premiere to replace this HD but would like to repair the HD if possible so I can sell it for at least a few bucks.
dsa1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 03:13 PM   #2
windracer
joined the 10k club

See if you can get into the kickstart 54 menu and run the internal diagnostics.

How is the TiVo connected to your TV? Have you tried a different connection type (i.e., composite instead of HDMI)?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 04:38 PM   #3
dsa1971

I'll try the kickstart again but I could not get that to work before. It's connected via hdmi. I will try composite and see if that does anything.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:40 PM   #4
dsa1971

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer View Post
See if you can get into the kickstart 54 menu and run the internal diagnostics.

How is the TiVo connected to your TV? Have you tried a different connection type (i.e., composite instead of HDMI)?
Well, that is interesting. With the component cables it is working. I received my new Tivo Premiere yesterday thinking my Tivo HD was completely dead. I hooked up the Tivo Premiere to the same HDMI cable that the seemingly dead Tivo HD was hooked up to and everything is working fine. It's weird because the Tivo HD would show the Welcome Screen and then go blank. I'm not sure what to think of that. What could be the issue with the HDMI? It seems like it would either work or not work. And now the same cable is working with the Premiere. It must be the HDMI port on the Tivo HD because I had tried it on another tv using that tv's hdmi and it had the same behavior. Any ideas?
Old 11-05-2010, 07:16 PM   #5
dsa1971

definitely the hdmi port. Reset everything. rebooted with hdmi. got to welcome screen then no signal. unplugged hdmi then hooked up component cables and it worked. Is there any way to fix this?
Old 11-05-2010, 07:20 PM   #6
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Try this.
Get the Tivo up and running, unplug the component cables, and then plug in the HDMI.
What happens?

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 07:41 PM   #7
dsa1971

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614
Try this.
Get the Tivo up and running, unplug the component cables, and then plug in the HDMI.
What happens?
Tried that. Didn't work? Screen is blank. Switch back to component at it works
Old 11-05-2010, 08:05 PM   #8
windracer
joined the 10k club

I had the HDMI port go bad on one of my TiVo HDs, which is why I suggested you try other cables. Same symptoms: you could see the please wait screen and then nothing else. I got it replaced ... depending on your warranty status you might be able to do the same.

Or, now that you have the Premiere, just use the TiVo HD with component connections in another room.

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 08:21 PM   #9
dsa1971

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer
I had the HDMI port go bad on one of my TiVo HDs, which is why I suggested you try other cables. Same symptoms: you could see the please wait screen and then nothing else. I got it replaced ... depending on your warranty status you might be able to do the same.

Or, now that you have the Premiere, just use the TiVo HD with component connections in another room.
Thanks. Out of warranty. Now I have a premiere upstairs and one downstairs. Might attempt to sell it for peanuts. It's too bad I didn't realize this until after I had pulled the hard drive restored that and all the other troubleshooting. It didn't occur to me it would be a failed hdmi port since it worked at the beginning. oh well.

Last edited by dsa1971 : 11-06-2010 at 10:03 AM.