TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-03-2010, 12:40 PM   #1
woodrufs

Tivo Premiere - No Cable Card? Just Analog?

Hello,
I am just curious if the Tivo would allow me to run a coaxial directly from my wall into it and pick up stations? At my apartment for school it is our only option. Will the Tivo still pick up all the program guide information that way? Or will it only pick up that information with a Cablecard? Is there an option on the Tivo where I can plug in my zip code and then it will download my program guide information through the internet?

I am so confused... On their website it has an option where I can plug in my zip and it pulls the guide information...

Any ideas?

Thanks.
woodrufs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 08:05 PM   #2
t1voproof

It will work with analog cable (no box). Guided setup has that option.
t1voproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 11:11 PM   #3
MICHAELSD

If you have a HDTV, buy a HD-capable over-the-air antenna. You'll get a few HD channels, which is far superior to none over analog.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:24 AM   #4
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

The guide information is always delivered by TiVo over the Internet (or phone line, if you wanna be old school), regardless of your service type or the presence or absence of a CableCard. The guide data that cable companies supply to their digital set-top boxes is not used by the TiVo, nor does it use OTA PSIP guide data.

Analog cable and digital and analog OTA will work fine without a CableCard, with full guide data. You can have both inputs working at once, too, so that you can get HD OTA and basic analog cable together, and they've seamlessly integrated. But digital cable channels need a CableCard to be useful.

The CableCard is used for decryption and mapping of digital cable channels, not for guide data.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:04 PM   #5
RonH

Good ol' Google, delivered me right to the thread and answer I was looking for.

A few years back I bought (later returned) a Series 3 because I wanted to record OTA. Trouble was, unless I had a cable card, there was no way to map the scanned OTA channels to the guide. It's been 2 years since I was here but I remember discussions about that. The only solution was to get a cable card - which I did not want to do.

It sounds like this Premier unit along with just my attic antenna will give me full program guide functionality to record SD/HD OTA. Your basic HD DVR with all the internet stuff thrown in for fun. Is this true?

*update*

Further reading has refreshed my memory, it was Clear QAM that I could not record from, due to the lack of program guide data. Apparently this is still the case. But, 2 years ago I didn't have an attic antenna delivering local HD stations. Now that I have that, the Premier would at least give me an HD DVR to record locals.

Last edited by RonH : 10-29-2010 at 10:26 PM.
RonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:24 PM   #6
Arcady
Stargate Fan

You never needed a cablecard to get OTA programming or guide data. A cablecard is only needed with digital cable.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 07:01 AM   #7
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonH View Post
Further reading has refreshed my memory, it was Clear QAM that I could not record from, due to the lack of program guide data. Apparently this is still the case. But, 2 years ago I didn't have an attic antenna delivering local HD stations. Now that I have that, the Premier would at least give me an HD DVR to record locals.
And nowadays there are fewer and fewer clear QAM left on any cable stations, with the exception of locals, which can be obtained free from an antenna.
Old 10-30-2010, 07:05 AM   #8
I WANT MORE

Is there an option to tell it you want the Qam channels? Mine did a scan and found 300+ channels but did not find any of the hd networks that the Qam tuner in my tv found.
I WANT MORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 07:36 AM   #9
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by I WANT MORE View Post
Is there an option to tell it you want the Qam channels? Mine did a scan and found 300+ channels but did not find any of the hd networks that the Qam tuner in my tv found.
You need a cable card for digital cable with TiVo.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 08:09 AM   #10
I WANT MORE

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Thanks. Have one coming on Wed. Just hope I can get the free hd networks. I use cable as a backup. I have D* as my primary provider.
Old 10-30-2010, 02:29 PM   #11
WebHobbit
Hairy Little Mutant

I still think in the coming next couple of years we will see CATV companies drop all analog channels to make room for more digital/HD. Then everyone will be tied to their STB or a cable carded TiVo.
WebHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 02:51 PM   #12
JimboG

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebHobbit View Post
I still think in the coming next couple of years we will see CATV companies drop all analog channels to make room for more digital/HD. Then everyone will be tied to their STB or a cable carded TiVo.
Quite true.

On a typical cable system, analog channels take up 70-80% of available bandwidth. This is a tremendously inefficient use of bandwidth just to ensure that granny can watch game shows and daytime television without the need for a set top box. For each analog channel, you could get 2 channels of MPEG-2 HD programming with no additional compression added. You also could get a few more channels of near-HD programming if you used MPEG-4, statistical multiplexing, switched digital video, or the variety of other tricks available to a bit-stingy cable operator.

Sure, granny might not want a set top box, but what are her alternatives? The satellite companies require a set top box. U-Verse and Fios require a set top box. Tivo and the digital TV convertor boxes are set top boxes. Granny's only choices are to use the integrated digital TV tuner in her new flat panel TV with an over the air antenna or with clear QAM.
JimboG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 04:24 PM   #13
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboG View Post
Granny's only choices are to use the integrated digital TV tuner in her new flat panel TV with an over the air antenna or with clear QAM.
Clear QAM will be about as rare as analog by then.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:14 PM   #14
RonH

Quote:
I use cable as a backup. I have D* as my primary provider.

Same here. Others are right, not much on clear QAM here other than the locals. That's what I wanted to record 2 years ago on the Series 3. Now that I have the amplified antenna in the attic, I'm set.

Although $900 is kind of pricey for a DVR to record locals. Granted I want the big hard drive and I'm not using the full potential of the box. But then I paid as much for a VCR more than once in my day
RonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 11:25 PM   #15
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Although $900 is kind of pricey for a DVR to record locals
Yeah, so it is a good thing the TiVo Premiere is only around $200!
http://www.amazon.com/TiVo-TCD652160...8499068&sr=8-4
Old 11-04-2010, 08:24 AM   #16
I WANT MORE

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Quote:
So I got my cable card installed. When I try to do a channel scan it tells me that there is not need to do a scan, the cable card has set up the channels. The Qam channels are not there. How do I scan for them?
Old 11-04-2010, 10:48 AM   #17
socrplyr

Quote:
So I got my cable card installed. When I try to do a channel scan it tells me that there is not need to do a scan, the cable card has set up the channels. The Qam channels are not there. How do I scan for them?
If your cablecard is set up right, they are there. They are just mapped to the cable channel number. Just look at your cable company's digital lineup.
socrplyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 01:29 PM   #18
I WANT MORE

Quote:
Originally Posted by socrplyr View Post
If your cablecard is set up right, they are there. They are just mapped to the cable channel number. Just look at your cable company's digital lineup.
Thanks again.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:59 PM   #19
tbliss1435

Purchased a tivo premier 150 hours recording time AND i love it. i'm so happy. i no longer suscribe to cable and just bring in my local channels with a flat panel antennae.
hd menu is AWESOME. i find the tivo software easy to use.
- was worth the $$$.
tbliss1435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:37 PM   #20
Smiley88

Smile FCC Requires That people be Able to Recieve Digital channels.

I was reading the FCC requires that households be able to receive Digital channels.That's one thing the Cable companies aren't allowed to have a monopoly over.Let me say I am new to this site.I had to let go of Direct tv.Oh how I miss the DVR,It was so reliable.
I am looking into a Tivo as a replacement.I am settled on the Tivo Premier.I would love to go Analog.I read I could use the internet connection for the Tivo Premier.
I know I will need a roof antenna.An indoor Antenna doesn't pick up the signals in my surroundings.I like the way the Tivo sounds.

Last edited by Smiley88 : 08-15-2012 at 01:53 AM.
Smiley88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:06 AM   #21
gamo62

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrufs View Post
Hello,
I am just curious if the Tivo would allow me to run a coaxial directly from my wall into it and pick up stations? At my apartment for school it is our only option. Will the Tivo still pick up all the program guide information that way? Or will it only pick up that information with a Cablecard? Is there an option on the Tivo where I can plug in my zip code and then it will download my program guide information through the internet?

I am so confused... On their website it has an option where I can plug in my zip and it pulls the guide information...

Any ideas?

Thanks.
As long as it is the Premiere /XL and NOT the XL4/Elite. The latter two have 4 Digital Tuners, and no OTA tuner.
gamo62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 03:33 AM   #22
agredon

Quote:
Same here. Others are right, not much on clear QAM here other than the locals. That's what I wanted to record 2 years ago on the Series 3. Now that I have the amplified antenna in the attic, I'm set.

Although $900 is kind of pricey for a DVR to record locals. Granted I want the big hard drive and I'm not using the full potential of the box. But then I paid as much for a VCR more than once in my day
I get locals, C-SPAN, and one or two shopping channels...that's it. Comcast encrypts everything else.
agredon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:05 AM   #23
jcthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamo62 View Post
As long as it is the Premiere /XL and NOT the XL4/Elite. The latter two have 4 Digital Tuners, and no OTA tuner.
The XL4 and Elite have 4 Digital Cable tuners and no OTA.

The Premiere has 2 OTA tuners for both analog and digital. and 2 CATV, analog and digital.

Almost all OTA tv is now digital. CATV is still mixed but the XL4 and Elite only tune the digital versions.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:11 PM   #24
jrmstr33

Any update on the QAM situation along with S3 and Premiere units? I have some rooms in my house that don't get good antenna reception and would love the guide data if at all possible. For now, I've been using the manual record feature.

Thanks in advance!
jrmstr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:30 PM   #25
mattack

No.. you need a cable card regardless..
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:23 PM   #26
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Recently, some people have found that an unsubscribed CableCard off eBay (maybe not even from Fios originally) is sufficient for mapping the clear QAMs. But I can't personally vouch for this.

Old 07-17-2013, 07:56 PM   #27
Bigg

So the OP was asking about a college dorm type of system. At my school, like many others, they still use a primarily analog system, with a few locals and RSNs in Clear QAM HD. They can't do ESPN, as ESPN is ridiculous about copy protection and won't let them Clear QAM it. It's a pure one-way system. There's no need for internet or telephone, since those are separate systems, and they don't have STB's, so there's no return path there. It's something like a 550mhz or 650mhz system, but they can push like 80+ analogs, since there's almost nothing else on there (a coupe of QAM's for HD locals).

In a situation like this, TiVo wouldn't be able to map with Clear QAM locals/RSNs, although it would be able to record the analog channels.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:40 PM   #28
Boneless

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
Recently, some people have found that an unsubscribed CableCard off eBay (maybe not even from Fios originally) is sufficient for mapping the clear QAMs. But I can't personally vouch for this.
Sorry to revive a dead thread, but which forum or search can I find more about this? I have clear QAM interestingly enough through my cable coax and can map it on my tivo3 with the analog stations. Since the analogs have guide data I've been using it to make manual recordings off the QAM HD channels. Would love to make the data available on the tivo for those if possible.
Boneless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:53 PM   #29
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
I now can personally vouch for this. Thanks to a reminder from someone here -- which I can't find now; my apologies -- I ordered a card off eBay for my old Series 3. ($2.99, including shipping! Less than a month's rent on a CableCard through Fios.) It works.

Also, a single card is sufficient for mapping clear QAMs for both tuners, even on an OLED Series 3. However, the guided setup process decides between single-tuner and dual-tuner mode based on how many cards are present. So, you need two cards for a proper setup, but can then remove one. (I've ordered a second card.) If you can skip guided setup (because, unlike me, you never re-ran it to select OTA-only mode after returning your old rented cards), then one card should be enough.

This looks like a real answer to the perennial requests for clear QAM support that we see here. I'd bet that it will work for later models as well, but I haven't tested that. It's just too bad that we didn't find out about it sooner.

Old 10-03-2013, 12:46 AM   #30
Dan203
Super Moderator

If you run GS with no card I think it has an options for "I will get cards later" which should allow you to set it up with both tuners without needing a second card.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote