Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-28-2010, 10:41 AM   #181
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredqwest View Post
Yes, JMFS does detect the stock THD <snip>
FWIW I can confirm that jmfs does not detect a stock Series3 HDD.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 12:56 PM   #182
metronomadic

I just got a TiVo premiere, and was planning on upgrading it with a Western Digital 2.0TB WD20EADS. I haven't really seen this drive mentioned much, is there a known problem with these that I'm missing, or is it just that they are slightly older drives or something?
metronomadic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 01:04 PM   #183
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by metronomadic View Post
I just got a TiVo premiere, and was planning on upgrading it with a Western Digital 2.0TB WD20EADS. I haven't really seen this drive mentioned much, is there a known problem with these that I'm missing, or is it just that they are slightly older drives or something?
Several here are using that drive...no problem...just an older model is all.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:22 PM   #184
metronomadic

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Thanks! You've put my mind at ease.

And a big thanks to Comer, too! This tool was such a breeze. I ran it the other day at home using USB SATA enclosures, took the drives in to work to change the Intellipark and AAM settings, and now I am all set to power up my Premiere later today.
metronomadic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 05:12 PM   #185
tcfcameron
(4) 2TB TiVo HDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Older? It sure didn't take long for a 2TB drive to get that designation...

I would have went with "In WD's ongoing commitment to render older generations of Windows even harder to continue to use, they have begun implementing "advanced format technology" on drive capacities that don't even require it, as opposed to just using it on the drive capacities that had hit the newest size barrier, which actually made its implementation a requirement".

I really wish they had kept producing parallel drive lines (as opposed to a phase-out transition) in the 2TB and lower capacity drives.

As a side note, Fry's electronics has been in the habit of advertising EARS drives, but actually selling you EADS ones (Bulk Pack, bare OEM ones, anyway). That's how I got my WD20EADS drives.

Tongue-in-cheek, check. Grumpy mode: active.
tcfcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 05:21 PM   #186
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcfcameron View Post
Older? It sure didn't take long for a 2TB drive to get that designation...

I would have went with "In WD's ongoing commitment to render older generations of Windows even harder to continue to use, they have begun implementing "advanced format technology" on drive capacities that don't even require it, as opposed to just using it on the drive capacities that had hit the newest size barrier, which actually made its implementation a requirement".

I really wish they had kept producing parallel drive lines (as opposed to a phase-out transition) in the 2TB and lower capacity drives.

As a side note, Fry's electronics has been in the habit of advertising EARS drives, but actually selling you EADS ones (Bulk Pack, bare OEM ones, anyway). That's how I got my WD20EADS drives.

Tongue-in-cheek, check. Grumpy mode: active.
Perhaps the word "earlier" would have been more apropos.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:13 PM   #187
efrsysop
IT Pro

TC CLUB MEMBER
Thumbs up

I couldn't resist any longer. I finally pulled the trigger on a Premiere XL, Slide Remote, and a WD20EVDS. I'll be running the disk check on the new drive tonight and doing the copy and expand tomorrow. A big thanks to Comer and I'll donate just as soon as you give us Supersize J/k, donation coming your way!
efrsysop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:16 PM   #188
comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by efrsysop View Post
I couldn't resist any longer. I finally pulled the trigger on a Premiere XL, Slide Remote, and a WD20EVDS. I'll be running the disk check on the new drive tonight and doing the copy and expand tomorrow. A big thanks to Comer and I'll donate just as soon as you give us Supersize J/k, donation coming your way!
Hold on a few more days guys, it's done, just need to put it in a nice package for ya

The old command-line guide is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
comer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:36 PM   #189
efrsysop
IT Pro

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by comer View Post
Hold on a few more days guys, it's done, just need to put it in a nice package for ya
Woot! Woot! Best Halloween "candy" ever. ~30 more hours of HD!

I know I speak for everyone here when I say thank you so much for all of your time. Please know that it is greatly appreciated.

-Spencer
Old 10-28-2010, 10:44 PM   #190
efrsysop
IT Pro

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Btw- Let me know if I can help out at all with my Premiere XL whether its making an image, or testing something I'm happy to help.

-Spence
Old 10-29-2010, 02:59 PM   #191
EricM

Just upped my two Tivo HDs to 237H (1.5TB drives). I didn't go as smoothly as I expected. Here is what happened:
-Took original 160GB drive with firmware 9.3 and copied to previously in-use 1.5TB (180 Hrs at that point) with jmfs
-Expanded with jmfs
-Booted THD with 1.5TB drive
-THD got stuck in a loop of powering up for 2 min, "almost there" screen for a few seconds then GSOD for a few seconds and reboot. I let it run like that for 35 minutes, after which I pulled the plug, plugged back in and it did it again for 20 minutes. After that I turned off and decided to try something else. Was the swap too small for 1.5TB with GSOD? Maybe, but I couldn't find how to adjust it using jmfs.
-Used Winmfs to fix swap, fix kernel, both options 1 and 2 did not solve the GSOD loop. Used Winmfs to "erase format" on 1.5TB drive.
-Took original 160GB drive with firmware 9.3 and copied to previously in-use-but-now-erased 1.5TB with jmfs
-Expanded with jmfs
-Booted THD, same GSOD loop.
I noted that trying to set supersize bit on the 1.5TB drive in that state caused WinMFS to crash.

Here is what worked (this was close to 24Hrs after first using jmfs )
-Took original 160GB drive with firmware 9.3 and copied to previously in-use 1.5TB with jmfs
-Did NOT expand with JMFS
-Booted THD on 1.5TB drive. Boot OK, 20 Hours available which was expected.
-Let it download and install firmware 11j
-Set Supersize bit on 1.5TB with WinMFS
-Expand 1.5TB with JMFS
-Boot THD on 1.5TB. Boot OK, 237 Hours available. Yay!
-Clear&Erase everything, to make sure the THD is still happy afterwards
-Tivo booted in guided setup and has been happy ever since.

I repeated the process on my second THD, whose original drive had an even earlier firmware (8.x , I think it was 8.1) without any issue. 237 Hours as well.

I am mentionning this purely to bring more data to this thread. My solution is probably heavy handed but worked for me and might help others in the same situation. Another thing I realized later is that the first TiVo original drive (9.3) had been pulled in "standby" state. This might have caused/contributed to the GSOD problem.

I'd like to finish by thanking Comer for this tool, overall I'm very happy though I need to catch up on some sleep tonight
EricM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 03:51 PM   #192
richsadams

Thanks very much for that...and your perseverance! I know how heart-sinking a bad boot-up can feel!

I may have read through all of your trials and tribulations a little too quickly, but it sounds as if the key was upgrading to the latest version of TiVo's software? If so, would it make sense to slip the OEM drive back in, force a connection get the update and then perform the upgrade? That would be a pretty simple bit of advice to add to the instructions. Or am I missing something? (Not unusual BTW )

Thanks again and TIA for confirming or some clarification.
Old 10-29-2010, 04:09 PM   #193
EricM

Smile

Well, I'm not 100% sure if it's the firmware, the standby state or something else (for instance combination situation where a newer firmware handles too small a swap size more gracefully?). Yes, it could be the firmware. To get more pointers, it would help to know which FW retiredqwest had on his original drive.
If it is indeed the firmware, yes, updating the original drive first would be a quicker solution, but I started the whole thing with the self-assigned requirement that I would not modify my original drive
And as far as the bad bootup, I wasn't too worried because I had the original drive and the shows were backed up on the other TiVo. My attitude was more like "cool, looks like I'm gonna learn something new today"
Old 10-29-2010, 06:27 PM   #194
vurbano

I am currently copying the stock Premiere drive to a 1TB WD10EVDS AV-GP drive. I will then expand it and put it back in the premeire. What are my odds of success?
Old 10-29-2010, 08:06 PM   #195
aparikh

2TB In TiVO HD

Hello,

Just joined this site and I am impressed with the amount of information... Sorry if this has been answered but I will ask just to make sure I am correct with this what I think I am reading...

I have 2 TiVO HDs that came with the 160GB drives which I upgraded to 750GB awhile back with WinMFS.

Am I correct in that it seems that I can now drop in a 2TB using Comer's methods? I also see that DVR_Dude is also selling the 2TB for the THD160 at a fair price...

Also, does it matter if I get the WD 2TB that isn't specifically listed as AV?

Thanks all,
aparikh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 08:25 PM   #196
comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vurbano View Post
I am currently copying the stock Premiere drive to a 1TB WD10EVDS AV-GP drive. I will then expand it and put it back in the premeire. What are my odds of success?
If you are already copying your drive, then you have everything setup and recognized correctly. 100%

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:35 PM   #197
comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparikh View Post
Hello,

Just joined this site and I am impressed with the amount of information... Sorry if this has been answered but I will ask just to make sure I am correct with this what I think I am reading...

I have 2 TiVO HDs that came with the 160GB drives which I upgraded to 750GB awhile back with WinMFS.

Am I correct in that it seems that I can now drop in a 2TB using Comer's methods? I also see that DVR_Dude is also selling the 2TB for the THD160 at a fair price...

Also, does it matter if I get the WD 2TB that isn't specifically listed as AV?

Thanks all,
retiredqwest answered the first question just a few posts above
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...08#post8205708. As for the second - check the sister thread here. Especially posts by richsadams toward the end of the thread are most relevant.

Old 10-29-2010, 09:02 PM   #198
vurbano

Quote:
If you are already copying your drive, then you have everything setup and recognized correctly. 100%
installed in tivo and booting up. Please work........
Old 10-29-2010, 09:05 PM   #199
vurbano

yeah baby!!!!!!!!!

Comer you da man!
I bought a $399 dollar 32" HDTV from BB for my sons room with a $99 dollar brand new Premiere promotion + $75 dollar 1TB AV-GP + comer software = a $500 dollar XL unit for $175 bucks

Last edited by vurbano : 10-29-2010 at 10:42 PM.
vurbano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 09:09 PM   #200
retiredqwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricM View Post
Well, I'm not 100% sure if it's the firmware, the standby state or something else (for instance combination situation where a newer firmware handles too small a swap size more gracefully?). Yes, it could be the firmware. To get more pointers, it would help to know which FW retiredqwest had on his original drive.
If it is indeed the firmware, yes, updating the original drive first would be a quicker solution, but I started the whole thing with the self-assigned requirement that I would not modify my original drive
And as far as the bad bootup, I wasn't too worried because I had the original drive and the shows were backed up on the other TiVo. My attitude was more like "cool, looks like I'm gonna learn something new today"
I have 11.j on the stock THD. I think it had just been downloaded. As for your tribulations...... I have my doubts it had anything to do with the firmware. That being said, I would have made sure the stock drive was up to date before copying it. As that would tell me the stock drive was in working order.

AND I also use a spare computer so the drives are directly connected to SATA ports. It took about an hour and a half to copy the stock drive.

I did this 4 times to various drive sizes without one glitch. Either I'm an exceptionally talented computerist.... or just plain a$$ lucky..... probably the latter.

And if you notice my sig..... I upgraded my stock premiere yesterday first try.

Scotty

THD 1.5TB Seagate = 237 hrs HD
Premiere WD20EVDS = 317 hrs HD.
XL4 = 318 hrs HD
retiredqwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 11:02 AM   #201
EricM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredqwest View Post
AND I also use a spare computer so the drives are directly connected to SATA ports. It took about an hour and a half to copy the stock drive.
Scotty
Me too. Based on previous experiences, I absolutely do not trust USB to copy the entire contents of a hard drive. The (SATA) copy onto a 5400 rpm Samsung achieved 25MB/s average, while the copy onto a WD "green" achived 35MB/s average. Both are 1.5TB.

I'm willing to run further tests next week on the unit that was problematic since I have a spare 1.5TB (Seagate 7200.11) here at work. Just have to coordinate this with my season passes First I have to reproduce the problem. Then boot off the original drive and take it out of standby mode. If that doesn't work, to be thorough I'd have to clear&erase everything still on FW 9.3. Only if that doesn't work either will I connect to the network and upgrade the original drive to 11j.
Old 10-30-2010, 01:54 PM   #202
retiredqwest

I dropped the Stock THD back in and put it in Standby. Copied and expanded using JMFS and it booted just like normal and then went into Standby...... and I brought it of Standby.

I was just curious.

XL4 = 318 hrs HD
Old 10-31-2010, 03:55 PM   #203
aparikh

Quote:
retiredqwest answered the first question just a few posts above
Especially posts by richsadams toward the end of the thread are most relevant.
Thanks...

My current 1TB and the 750GB drives were made through WinMFS. Can I still use your tool or am I out of luck for the moment?
aparikh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 05:56 PM   #204
Brent W

Thank you very much. I just updated one of my premiere's to 2TB. Thank you for all your work, and sharing it with everyone.
Brent W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 11:13 AM   #205
mrthornhill

$89 WD drive on newegg today

Newegg has a sale on the Western Digital WD20EARS 2TB drive today for $89.
Looking through this thread I've seen that at least one person has successfully used this drive to upgrade their Premiere.
I'm curious what you guys think though, comparing that drive to the AV-GP WD20EVDS 2TB drive. At the moment it'd be $40 more expensive. Worth it for the supposed additional AV device features?
mrthornhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 09:28 AM   #206
Befazzled

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrthornhill View Post
Newegg has a sale on the Western Digital WD20EARS 2TB drive today for $89.
Looking through this thread I've seen that at least one person has successfully used this drive to upgrade their Premiere.
I'm curious what you guys think though, comparing that drive to the AV-GP WD20EVDS 2TB drive. At the moment it'd be $40 more expensive. Worth it for the supposed additional AV device features?
Apply coupon code EMCZZYR25 and get another 10% off of that price.

Great deal I couldn't pass it up.
Befazzled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 08:01 PM   #207
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrthornhill View Post
The WD20EVDS is a good choice, however TiVo doesn't or cannot take advantage of the various A/V drive's proprietary features. The only plus is that the AAM is already set to the lowest seek level (128) making it very quiet. However you can use hddscan to adjust the AAM on the EARS model even though it is pretty quiet out of the box.
Old 11-06-2010, 01:08 AM   #208
naggeneen

Using BlacXDuet Dual Drive Dock - Problem...

What great information here! Thanks!

I have run into one problem using the BlacXDuet Dual Drive USB/eSATA dock. Drives are recognized when in the HDD1 slot, but not in the HDD2 slot.

The company who makes the dock has a note in the box that, when using the eSATA connection, the operating system must have a port multiplier driver installed... but that it's not an issue when running connected via USB as most operating systems have port multiplying over USB installed... but maybe not? I've switched around the new drive and the original TiVo drive, but the application only recognizes the drive in the HDD1 slot and the internal hard drive of the laptop.

Any input or advice would be appreciated!

Thanks again!
Naggeneen
Philips 45hour (original HD failed!)
Sony 30hr (native)
----------------------------------------------
TiVo subscriber since 8/99 (pre-IPO!)
naggeneen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 01:32 AM   #209
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by naggeneen View Post

I have run into one problem using the BlacXDuet Dual Drive USB/eSATA dock. Drives are recognized when in the HDD1 slot, but not in the HDD2 slot.

The company who makes the dock has a note in the box that, when using the eSATA connection, the operating system must have a port multiplier driver installed... but that it's not an issue when running connected via USB as most operating systems have port multiplying over USB installed... but maybe not? I've switched around the new drive and the original TiVo drive, but the application only recognizes the drive in the HDD1 slot and the internal hard drive of the laptop.

Thanks again!
Naggeneen
That same issue was reported a page or two ago (or it might have been on the companion thread). The OP ended up using two separate connections...I think two SATA/USB adapters but it might have been two single SATA docks, or it might have been one of each. That's probably what you'll need to do as well. You can still use your dock but you'll need to get a SATA/USB adapter or another dock...unless of course you can connect your hard drives directly to SATA ports on your motherboard (which is the ideal way to upgrade).
Old 11-06-2010, 01:18 PM   #210
retiredqwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by naggeneen View Post

Thanks again!
Naggeneen
Since I have a Duet.... thought I'd give this a try....

And no it only recognizes 1 drive.... probably because the underlying Linux OS it uses does not support USB port multiplying.

Scotty

XL4 = 318 hrs HD