please ignore my initial post.
i will repost it in the correct paste.
bj501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 06:49 PM   #7592
EvilMidniteBombr
what bomz at midnite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj501 View Post
got a new tivo hd box and trying to learn as quick as possible what i can and can't do .

i have analog cable and whatever free hd stations the cable co.
(atlantic broadband) sends free with it. the cable goes directly to
the tv and i need no stb. my questions are a few:

1. can i do a scan with the tivo to map all the analog and free hd
channels in order to populate the guide?

2. if it can only scan the analog ones , can i manually add the free
hd channels if i know their numbers. how do i do this?

3. if i can't do either of the above , would that be due to needing
a cable card ? if not, then when would i need that card? how do
i populate the guide for ALL my analog and free hd channels if the
card is not the issue?

hopefully i made sense.
thanks for the help.
The short answer is, if you want guide data for all channels (analog and digital QAM) you will need a cable card.

The somewhat less than short answer, you will have to do a channel scan. After that you will see all of your subscribed analog channels along with several digital channels. You will be able to watch local HD programming on the QAM channels that are HD. The others will just be standard def digital. You'll be able to watch programming on those as well, but no guide data for any of them unless you get a cable card.

9/11/01... Never Forget.
EvilMidniteBombr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 04:37 PM   #7593
Doit2it

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmsp View Post
I came home today to find my channel lineup scrambled; channels actually exist in their old location but all guide data points to new channels.
Don't think you need to swap CableCards. What happened to me in Nashville, TN with Comcast/Xfinity was the channels were in their new location, but Tivo had the old lineup. Here is a solution:

Digital Rebuild

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tivo XL4 w/LT :: TiVo HD w/LT & 2TB :: LG 47" & 42" HDTVs
Tivo HD w/LT - Mom :: Series 2 80 - Boxed :: Series 2 40 - Boxed
Doit2it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 10:34 AM   #7594
skoenigsberg

Comcast Boston + TiVo Premiere - success!

After years of fighting with Comcast about...well...everything, but in particular the (lack of quality) surrounding the Comcast TiVo product, we finally bought a Premiere.

First Premiere was DOA from TiVo. Not an auspicious beginning.

But, the 2nd arrived just fine, and brand new, not refurb. I went through guided setup without a hitch. Two days later, Comcast came *as scheduled*, *friendly*, *competent*, guy who had done a bunch of Cable Card installations(*!*), he plunked in the card, made the call to pair, etc., and within 10 minutes I had HBO HD, which was the major test case I was interested in validating.

So far so good...two weeks later...although I know that posting this will jinx the setup Now, if TiVo would only make ALL the menus HD...and then if Comcast would be able to have two people answer the phone and give me the same answer around what this setup should cost me, then we'd be in business!
skoenigsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:52 AM   #7595
ljr

Here is my story... and I am sticking to it!

Ok, So my HD Tivo had the fan go and I got a replacement unit from Tivo. Went smoothly, called up, paid $250 for a new unit to be shipped, shipped back my broken unit and they refunded my $250. (I was still under extended warranty)

Now for the fun part, the CableCard swap. Of course the new unit need to be pair and the CSR could not do it and did not know who to ask for it to be done.

I sent and email to: we_can_help (at) comcast.com ; saying "I just had to swap my Tivo box and now that I have moved my cable card to the new box, the new box needs to be paired in your system. The current CSR was unable to pair the cable card and tivo box to your system. Would it be possible for you to forward this message to someone in ACS to do pairing. I know this does not require a truck roll."

I also included all my account and the cable card info and even a pic of the screen with my info.

I got a response in about an hour saying that they would have it done, got a phone message saying that it was done. I also got a call from corporate asking if I was all set and everything was working. Of course it was not working and told corporate that, they double checked and noticed they had entered the info incorrectly. They fixed their side, all worked fine.

Got another call from corporate confirming I was happy and everything worked. I told them I was both happy and everything worked.

Overall I was pleased I did not require a truck roll and was able to do it with minimal amount of my time wasted.

Cheers,
ljr
ljr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 02:45 PM   #7596
cuyahoga

I'm waiting on my 5th truck roll today. First three involved my original series 3. Comcast couldn't get one card slot to work, so we agreed it was an old machine and probably a bad slot.

Upgraded to a premiere, and so far every card they have put it has been paired to another box, according to the dispatcher entering the info into the system.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:00 AM   #7597
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuyahoga View Post
I'm waiting on my 5th truck roll today. First three involved my original series 3. Comcast couldn't get one card slot to work, so we agreed it was an old machine and probably a bad slot.

Upgraded to a premiere, and so far every card they have put it has been paired to another box, according to the dispatcher entering the info into the system.
Unless you simply love gaining more material for a Comcast humor book, stop.

Contact the Comcast Cares group and explain your situation and experiences. Let them find a competent person to handle your CableCARD install.

http://twitter.com/comcastcares
we_can_help@comcast.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:16 AM   #7598
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Agreed.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 05:32 PM   #7599
cuyahoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow View Post

Contact the Comcast Cares group and explain your situation and experiences. Let them find a competent person to handle your CableCARD install.

we_can_help@comcast.com
This was the 3rd truck roll after contacting we_can_help@comcast.

No one can seem to do this. I can't wait to see my bill with the crazy rate code changes and truck roll charges. And nothing other than local channels working.

Can you believe it?!

Last edited by cuyahoga : 10-31-2010 at 06:01 PM. Reason: clarification
cuyahoga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 05:37 PM   #7600
Pokemon_Dad
Ruler of an Unown UI

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow View Post

we_can_help@comcast.com
I did exactly that, and still had a horrible experience. After I got nowhere with we_can_help@comcast.com I emailed Bill Gerth (who offers his email address on the @comcastcares Twitter profile), but he never even bothered to respond. I then spent another week dealing with one of the worst examples of Comcast customer service I've ever had, and that's saying something given all the other Comcast stories I could tell you. A humor book? Ha! More like a book on how not to run a company.

After two telephone reps failed to properly pair my CableCard, and warned that I might have to pay if a tech came out to fix the problem (which I knew was not true, but apparently they would like to blame TiVo for all their problems), I sent an email to we_can_help@comcast.com with all my account and CableCard information including serial number, ID, etc. asking for help resetting and re-pairing the card over the network. That was no solution. I wound up getting a phone call from an unhelpful bureaucratic rep in our regional Comcast office who wanted to ignore all the information I had sent, and insisted on a truck roll no matter what. Between her and the previous two poorly trained first-level reps, something that could have been accomplished in one phone call instead probably cost Comcast at least $200 or $300 in time for reps, dispatchers and field techs, and cost me enough aggravation to start researching options for leaving Comcast when we move next year.

The so-called we_can_help rep
  • refused to respond by email,
  • ignored all information I gave her,
  • called my house only when I was likely to be gone,
  • would not call my cell phone when I was at work - even after I left my cell number again and again,
  • ordered a truck roll without telling me they were coming, and then,
  • when I complained about that she blithely ordered another truck roll with no apology whatsoever.

She wanted to send a truck out from the first conversation, made no real effort to have a knowledgeable tech reset my card over the network, and just waited me out. All through this situation she was calmly cheerful even when she screwed up royally, like a bureaucrat who knows we can do nothing about it whether she does good work or not, and just looooves that about her job.

The whole situation started when I called the Comcast number TiVo gives you to activate a CableCard. The first rep I spoke with "sent a signal" before giving me a chance to offer any information about the CableCard or the situation. As you can imagine, she obviously had no idea what she was doing and the card did not pair properly. In fact, I don't even know if her signal did anything. The card seemed to work at first, but at 5PM each day many channels were blocked. When I realized that there was a problem, I called the same Comcast activation number again. It must have been during a late-night shift change, because I waited on the phone for about 35 minutes until someone picked up in what I think was Mexico. That rep was no better trained on this topic than the first one, so I took the advice I'd read here and tried we_can_help@comcast.com...but apparently I should have escalated this to Comcast corporate first, because as you can see from this story the rep who responded treated me like I have no choice but to beg her for service.

When I finally gave up and agreed to meet a tech at my house, I had him just swap out the CableCard rather than try to reset and re-pair the existing card. This guy knew what he was doing (in contrast to our original installer two years ago, who actually asked me "What's a CableCard? :-) but whoever was helping him on the phone entered the wrong numbers for my card, so the guy had to wait around for two activation attempts. When you add his service call to the cost of the first aborted truck roll, plus all those phone calls - at least five, plus voicemails - you have to wonder if I'm underestimating how much of their employer's money these people wasted. And you have to wonder if Comcast really wants TiVo units or CableCards on their network. They sure are doing their best to run us all off. AT&T, or just plain OTA digital TV, are looking really good to me right now.
Pokemon_Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 06:04 PM   #7601
cuyahoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokemon_Dad View Post
They sure are doing their best to run us all off. AT&T, or just plain OTA digital TV, are looking really good to me right now.
You and me both. I'd have jumped ship to FiOS by now, but with the CCI Byte lockouts cropping up there, Comcast might be more 'open' for now (at least when they can get the CableCards to work.

Last edited by cuyahoga : 10-31-2010 at 08:41 PM. Reason: gave Comcast less credit
cuyahoga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 02:42 PM   #7602
jazzstock12

3 appointments, still no cablecard

Huntsville, AL

We've had appointments for 3 straight weeks (Oct. 20th, Oct. 28th, Nov. 3) for someone to come out and install a card at my parents' house, since that is the only way to get an M-card in my area.

The first week, they actually called ahead of time to let us know they had run out of cards. However, the past two weeks they have told me someone was "on their way", only to inform me that they had run out of cards at the end of my 3 hour appointment window. Too frustrated to actually be angry at this point. Comcast is the only cable provider in parents' neighborhood, so all I can figure is that they are making sure they take care of all their customers in areas where they have competition before worrying about customers such as my parents.
jazzstock12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 03:17 PM   #7603
JJJB

After watching HBO(2 shows a week)on my computer for almost 3 months because I was too busy to take time off work for a tech to come and either pair or replace my cable card I called yesterday to setup an appt for Nov.24 when I know I'll be home.After 4 call attempts being hung up by the computer on and never getting to a human voice I finally got to someone.I told her my story and she "comped" my HBO.Then I told her I need a guy to come out and pair my card and/or bring new ones that WORK.I also told her send the supervisor's supervisor to come out and do it....lol She said she would.At least she was in my area and not in another country. So we'll see....................

2 days later THEY called me put ME on hold until a senior tech talked to me and tried to pair it for the 5th time. He said it was a "bad"card and couldn't do it so he told me to "keep my appt." but if I wanted to drive directly to Comcast about 15 minutes away they MIGHT just exchange my card but he couldn't give the phone number to call and find out.

Last edited by JJJB : 11-05-2010 at 12:18 PM.
JJJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 03:42 PM   #7604
Pokemon_Dad
Ruler of an Unown UI

jazzstock12 sorry to hear about that, but sounds about normal. And JJJB, they shouldn't have to come out to your house just to pair a CableCard, that's the really sad part.

I suggest you both try @comcastcares on Twitter. More than once. That worked better for me than the we_can_help email, if only after the fact. I did eventually get heard about the troubles described in my last post above regarding we_can_help@comcast.com, but only after the fact. Maybe you folks can get some help before Comcast screws up your next appointments.

I finally got the attention of someone at ComcastCares this week (long after my card was finally paired, but I was still fuming). I learned that Bill Gerth may have never received my second email sent directly to him, even though it went to an address with his name on it. I had wanted to supply account and CableCard information so did not initially use Twitter, but apparently it might have made a difference to start there...in no small part because tweets are very public, and are more likely to be monitored by Comcast's critics than our little forum here. Email to Comcast, like phone calls, can apparently just disappear.

Here's the whole Twitter conversation, in chronological order:

@comcastcares Wish you had replied to my email of 10/6. This was my experience with so-called we_can_help:
[goo.gl tracking link to my 10/31 post above]

No reply that day, but I could tell someone clicked the link. Next day:

@comcastcares you never responded but my impression is that we_can_help can't. This was my experience:
[same goo.gl link]

Another click on the link, and this time a response:

@[xxxxxxx] If i am away it all gets forwarded to we_can_help, DM me account phone number i will look into it ASAP

The rest of these are Direct Messages:
Me:
Thx Bill. You were away 10/6? Anyway solved now but reps poorly trained & last one made you all look bad. Account tel is 408-[xxx-xxxx]

comcastcares:
I do apologize for the trouble and will try to track down the call. I do appreciate the feedback which goes to our Sr. executives.

comcastcares:
I know things are resolved but would also like to add a credit on the account for your time. I am showing two addresses?

Me:
Thx! [Clarified billing vs. street address]. Many other previous problems at this address and last one too. Am usually patient but that gets me nowhere.

comcastcares
I credited one month service

Me:
Thanks for the 1-mo credit! Am re-protecting tweets now, so here's link to share with management: [same tracking link] Will update it soon.
The fact that he promised to make a report to senior management matters to me much more than any credit, although that's nice too given that service was partially out for about two weeks here. But I've gone all the way to Comcast Corporate HQ before. (Like the time the in-home Comcast service techs and the outside Comcast Network linemen got into a big fight over why my service was dying every time it got cold outside, instead of cooperating with each other to fix it...for over a year.) Nothing ever really changes with these people because they don't have any serious competition or regulation.
TiVo PC / Nero LiquidTV << not recommended
Silicon Valley, CA
Pokemon_Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 10:37 AM   #7605

I have 2 cable cards and is subscribe to comcast digital basic ($65 total per month). I want to downgrade to a cheaper plan and was told the only option is limited cable, which is analog channels only. To do the switch, I was told to return the 2 cable cards because Tivo won't be able to receive analog channels with the cable cards in place. Of course, with the cable cards returned, I won't be able to add any premium channels.
Is this accurate info?
Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 12:19 PM   #7606
a68oliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie View Post
I have 2 cable cards and is subscribe to comcast digital basic ($65 total per month). I want to downgrade to a cheaper plan and was told the only option is limited cable, which is analog channels only. To do the switch, I was told to return the 2 cable cards because Tivo won't be able to receive analog channels with the cable cards in place. Of course, with the cable cards returned, I won't be able to add any premium channels.
Is this accurate info?
Yes, I believe it is accurate. The cablecards receive a channel map. The channel map includes digital channels only. I have a Tivo HD and when I added cablecards to it, it stopped receiving the analog channels. However, Comcast is broadcasting ADS (analog digital simulcast) of those analog channels (in digital). If they have implemented ADS in your market, then you may still be able to receive your old analog channels in digital format.

You can test to see if the channels available in limited basic are actually being broadcast in your current digital package in digital format. Simply tune to a channel that will be available in limited basic and press the record button. If you Tivo asks you to select a recording quality (I forget what they choices are, but it is something like basic,xxxx,xxx, high), then you are receiving those channels in analog. If not, then the program is in digital.

Now the real question is whether Comcast will authorize your cablecards to tune those channels in a limited package. It should be noted that even with limited basic, you probably can receive the local TV stations in digital HD format without cablecards. However, the channel numbers will not match those published by Comcast and that means they will be difficult if not impossible to use the Tivo program guide to schedule recordings on them.

Edit: Now I realize what I said above doesn't make complete sense. I recall before Comcast completed their digital upgrade that I had some channels in analog and some in digital while using cablecards. So I am confused. Maybe someone else can clarify.
Tivo HD November 2007
a68oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 05:11 PM   #7607
blue92

New to the board. I just got my Tivo Premier in the mail today. I'm already a comcast customer with a Scientific Atlanta HD DVR. I'm sure this is a rookie question, but can I just take the card out of the back of that DVR and put it into my Tivo? I've been searching the thread but have not found a direct answer yet. Thanks or helping me to cut through the chase...
blue92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 06:03 PM   #7608
a68oliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue92 View Post
can I just take the card out of the back of that DVR and put it into my Tivo?
No. In most Comcast systems, the card is "paired" to the device it is installed in. You would lose access to copy protected channels and, I think but not sure, encrypted channels.

I have not seen a cable company DVR, but aren't those cards sealed inside the case?
Tivo HD November 2007
Old 11-05-2010, 06:12 PM   #7609
blue92

Re

I just spoke with someone at comcast who seemed fairly knowledgeable. She said that the DVR doesn't have a cablecard in it. However, when I bring back the DVR I can then pick up a cablecard. I asked if I could install the card myself or if I would have to have a tech come out. She said I could do either one. I'm going to take back the DVR tomorrow, pick up the card and install it myself. Hopefully I won't experience any of the nightmares others have had to endure.....any recommendations on installing the cablecard?
blue92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 06:12 PM   #7610
jrtroo
User

New this week-

Got a new premiere and I contacted a Comcast CSR for a cablecard. She offered to mail me one for a self-install for $10.

I hedged and wanted it for free, to which the reply was I can pick it up locally (my hd required a truck roll 2 years ago). I stopped by tonight- no cards available.

However, I called their 866 number right from the lobby, and now they are mailing a card and waiving the fee. I should have it by next Friday.
jrtroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 07:16 PM   #7611
a68oliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue92 View Post
She said that the DVR doesn't have a cablecard in it.
I am not sure if I would believe that. The FCC required that new DVRs have separable security, which means a removable cablecard. However, I believe older DVRs were grandfathered and could have the security built into the motherboard.

But, if it has a cablecard in it, I think it is behind a security fence so that any tampering would be evident.

YMMV
Tivo HD November 2007
Old 11-05-2010, 08:31 PM   #7612

Quote:
Originally Posted by a68oliver View Post
.... It should be noted that even with limited basic, you probably can receive the local TV stations in digital HD format without cablecards...
Thanks for this reminder. I lookup the channel lineup of limited basic and indeed it includes a dozen or so local HD channels numbered 103 and higher, which means I *need* to have the cablecards in place to map the channels correctly, which means the person at comcast gave me incorrect info when she said I have to return the cablecards.

This is the 2nd time in a row I received bad info from comcast. In an earlier call, I was told I was downgraded to a plan that's $30 per month, but it didn't happen on the bill. Then in a subsequent call I was told there's no such plan.

Looks like changing name isn't going to help their reputation. I wonder if they are doing this to discourage me from downgrading, or are simple incompetent.
Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 10:39 AM   #7613
cgtempest

CC Fee Comcast in VA (Prince William County)

Good Morning, I am a new to Tivo, a new Tivo XL owner. I had an ok install (2 trips by the "truck", 1st cards bad) but am up and running.

My question is about the $9.95 "Cable Card Digital" fee that showed up. I expected to pay my Tivo fee but thought I was getting away from a comcast fee.

Previously I thought I had seen a thread that said a customer was entitled to one card for no fee? Then fees for additional cards. Has anyone got any advice or am I just on the hook for another $10.00 a month fee?

Thanks for any help!
cgtempest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 05:09 PM   #7614
HazelW

In my area they do not charge for a cable card but do charge $9.50 "additional outlet fee". they only charge for a second cable card if it is in the same machine. So you pay a fee for each Tivo and they call it different things in different areas.
HazelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 07:43 PM   #7615
a68oliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtempest View Post
My question is about the $9.95 "Cable Card Digital" fee that showed up.
One cablecard is included on your first digital outlet or on an additional digital outlet. As hazelw said, they only charge for a second card in the same Tivo (original S3).

However, there is a charge for a second (or more) digital outlet. But that additional outlet charge also covers the cost of the cablecard.

Do you have more than one digital outlet? Do you have any other Comcast digital cable converters or DVRs? If not, then you should not be charged an additional outlet fee or cablecard fee.

There is a Comcast FAQ that explains this. Go to the Comcast web page and search for cablecard. This should direct you to a FAQ about How much will I be charged for a cablecard?

I had a similar problem. In order to solve it, I had to phyiscally walk into the local Comcast office (40 mile round trip) with their rate sheet they had mailed me and the FAQ. I had to do this twice. Each time it would get corrected and they would issue me credits. However, the computer would kick my account out in an audit and the charge would be restored.

I finally had to email We_Can_Help@cable.comcast.com and explain the problem. I got a phone call the next day from the local regional office. The CSR recognized the problem but didn't know how to correct the billing so it wouldn't happen again. Instead, she issued me a monthly $20 credit for one year. That more than made up for the monthly approx $10 error that was appearing on my bill.

Politely point out the rate sheet and the FAQ. You might be able to get it fixed locally. If not, do not hesitate to contact We_Can_Help@cable.comcast.com.
Tivo HD November 2007
Old 11-06-2010, 09:08 PM   #7616
cgtempest

Thank you for the responses. I appreciate the suggestions.
cgtempest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 10:23 PM   #7617
CraigK
(unspecified)

As Alan posted, if you don't have a Comcast cable box or DVR then the first CableCARD should be included in your digital package. The Comcast FAQ is HERE.

I have no Comcast equipment and two TiVo HDs and have been hassling with them for over a year because they still were charging me for the CableCARD in each TiVo HD when one should have been included with the digital package and the other in the additional digital outlet fee. I was never able to get it fixed over the phone so I went down last month to the Comcast office with the FAQ in hand (like Alan did) to convince them I was being charged extra. The CSR had to make two visits to the back room to check with the manager, but I actually saw it on the screen when they changed the line items for the cards from "TiVo Series 3-cable CARD" to something that indicated it was included in the package/AO and there was no charge for it. I'll know the exact wording when I get my bill later this month. They also refunded my CableCard fees back a year or so.

My next step was going to be the We_Can_Help email address, but I'm hopeful this is the end of it.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:33 AM   #7618
cuyahoga

Arrow

Quote:
This was the 3rd truck roll after contacting we_can_help@comcast.

No one can seem to do this. I can't wait to see my bill with the crazy rate code changes and truck roll charges. And nothing other than local channels working.

Can you believe it?!
Another truck roll last night (6th or 7th), and another visit with no encrypted or copy protected channels working. The tech and the dispatcher keep talking about rate codes, but I'm not convinced the card is even paired.

They act like they are trying but they can't REALLY be trying. They only thing they tried to do is tell me how good their boxes are.

I really don't know what to do next.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:08 PM   #7619
a68oliver

Quote:
The tech and the dispatcher keep talking about rate codes, but I'm not convinced the card is even paired.
You should be able to determine for yourself if the card is properly paired.

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/...gchannelissues

See "Troubleshooting activation and missing channel issues" Item 6.
Tivo HD November 2007
Old 11-16-2010, 01:14 PM   #7620
cuyahoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by a68oliver View Post
You should be able to determine for yourself if the card is properly paired.

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/...gchannelissues

See "Troubleshooting activation and missing channel issues" Item 6.
Great! Thanks for the link. I'm going to check that as soon as I get home.