TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-24-2010, 07:50 PM   #91
pgoelz

Is it just us, or has the amount the Tivo backs up after a fast forward changed? It used to be near perfect and just recently we realized that it doesn't back up far enough any more. I don't think our reaction times have changed. We also switched to a Harmony 300 remote, but I don't think that changed the equation....

So, did the new software change the fast forward / backup relationship?

Paul
pgoelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 10:34 PM   #92
HerronScott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadedone View Post
I received the 11.0j update on Thursday and I was finally able to get analog channels on both tuners.

But it only lasted for one day, The "grey screen" returned on one of my S3s tuners.

I tried a reboot and repeated a guided setup, no luck.

I am so disappointed..........
This is an original S3 with the OLED display? I had not seen anyone post that they had this problem with an original S3 (versus an HD).

Scott
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 12:00 AM   #93
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerronScott View Post
This is an original S3 with the OLED display? I had not seen anyone post that they had this problem with an original S3 (versus an HD).

Scott
I have been using one of my orignal Series 3s without cable cards for over 3 years and never had this grey screen problem. (It is used for SD network recording only by somebody in my family)

Old 10-25-2010, 06:27 AM   #94
HerronScott

Les,

I have 2 S3's - one with cablecards and the second without and have not seen it as well. My brother has an HD and had numerous problems with it before installing cablecards and fewer incidents of it afterward (but still some). He'll be very happy if this fixes the issue for him.

Scott
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 07:44 AM   #95
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

One weird thing happened last night with 11j that I haven't seen before. I decided to delete an old season pass from the to-do list and my TiVo HD crashed and rebooted. It's been fine since though...
"You know, ground beef is a real winner nowadays" -- Faster Guy
sbourgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 08:21 AM   #96
Stormspace
Electrocuted by TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoJerry View Post
Heyyy, I only announced the official rollout two days ago! The last batch of folks should get it tonight or tomorrow and we should be done at that point.

See post #31 for the list of things fixed in this rollout.
I remember now. I was hoping the code to ignore the CCI would have been put in.
180hr S2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stormspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 07:19 PM   #97
Jadedone

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerronScott View Post

Scott
Yes. Original S3 with OLED display. I've had grey screens on my analog channels it seem like forever. I mainly record the analog shows on my Tivo HD and transfer them over to the S3 when required. My S3 CC sare single stream.
Jadedone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 07:33 PM   #98
Videodrome
tivo - please wait..

Mine crashed after the new software installed. I did a hard reboot and it came back after about 20mins.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:01 PM   #99
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadedone View Post
Yes. Original S3 with OLED display. I've had grey screens on my analog channels it seem like forever. I mainly record the analog shows on my Tivo HD and transfer them over to the S3 when required. My S3 CC sare single stream.
Not sure what the issue is here for you, but I can guarantee you that the software fix for analog grey screens was only focused on the TiVo HD models. Since your issue involves an original S3 & predates 11.0j, I suspect you may have a hardware issue (assuming you have already troubleshot your signal strength).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TiVoJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 03:50 AM   #100
tcfcameron
(4) 2TB TiVo HDs

Arrow Attenuation to bring cable Signal Strength & SNR to acceptable levels, when too high

For the original poster (Jadedone), as well as anybody else, that may find this helpful:

There is a good article describing how to go about this on TiVo's web support:

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/150

If you have any digital channels that the signal strength is always "pegged" at 100 Signal Strength, especially if the SNR is at, or above 35, you may need to attenuate the signal. You can either buy attenuators online, or wait for a cable truck to be in your area, and ask for some. They usually carry -6dB and -3dB ones. In some cases, you may need one of each (in-line), or two -6dB and one -3dB (in-line), if your signal is exceptionally strong.

Sometimes you can use different dB rated ports on your splitters to attenuate as well. I prefer to use a Cable Modem adjustable attenuator, which allows you to adjust to changing signal conditions without interrupting the feed to the tuners.

Excessive signal strength can cause all sorts of problems, including grey or black screens on your analog channels (sometimes even loss of digital ones), and in extreme cases, can cause permanent damage to the tuners. TiVo tuners are more sensitive to cable signal strength & SNR than any other device that I am aware of. You have to use the digital channels to get your strength and SNR readings because TiVos (and most other devices) do not provide readings for analog channels. However, if your digital is out of acceptable range, your analog generally will be as well. If you only have analog service and/or don't have a cable card, you should still have some ClearQAM digital channels (re-broadcast local stations) to work with.

EDIT: (should have been included with the other parameters of whether attenuation may be needed): If you are getting RS errors (corrected or uncorrected), even though your picture quality seems good, and your signal strength is pegged at 100, you may need attenuation.
Quote:
Not sure what the issue is here for you, but I can guarantee you that the software fix for analog grey screens was only focused on the TiVo HD models. Since your issue involves an original S3 & predates 11.0j, I suspect you may have a hardware issue (assuming you have already troubleshot your signal strength).

Last edited by tcfcameron : 10-26-2010 at 05:26 PM.
tcfcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:50 AM   #101
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcfcameron View Post
.......If you have any digital channels that the signal strength is always "pegged" at 100 Signal Strength, especially if the SNR is at, or above 35, you need to attenuate the signal. ........
EDIT: tcfcameron's statement as later edited would have eliminated any need for this post.

I believe this statement is too severe, i.e., alarmist and overkill. Many of us have many channels pegged at 100 and they exhibit no problems at all. The statement should be something like: "If you have video problems on a channel and signal strength is pegged at 100, you may need to attenuate..."

Quoting from the TiVo link you provided:

Quote:
NOTE: If your signal strength is at 100 and the video looks fine - this is not an error. The signal strength meter sets 100 at a safe threshold. If the signal is at this threshold or a bit beyond, your picture quality should be excellent. If the signal strength is well beyond the threshold, it will still register as "100", but you may experience poor picture quality as some DVR components cycle in and out of "protect" mode to prevent damage.
SNR is a ratio and high SNR actually is good and doesn't damage components -- it's excessive signal strength that might do that.

Unfortunate that TiVo didn't go a step further and put up an informative message when '..some DVR components cycle in and out of "protect" mode'.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and

Last edited by dlfl : 10-26-2010 at 05:47 PM.
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 02:44 PM   #102
tcfcameron
(4) 2TB TiVo HDs

Arrow More on SNR and Signal Stength, and the potential for tuner damage, if excessive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
I believe this statement is too severe, i.e., alarmist and overkill. Many of us have many channels pegged at 100 and they exhibit no problems at all. The statement should be something like: "If you have video problems on a channel and signal strength is pegged at 100, you may need to attenuate..." SNR is a ratio and high SNR actually is good and doesn't damage components -- it's excessive signal strength that might do that. Unfortunate that TiVo didn't go a step further and put up an informative message when '..some DVR components cycle in and out of "protect" mode'.
I stand firm in what I posted. I have been dispensing this advice for months, before I became aware of the aforementioned TiVo support article, which seemed to say the same things, with added screen-shots. However, they did neglect to publish some very relevant data. Otherwise, I'd just post the link and say nothing.

One person, in the past, had stated "Well, I thought the higher the SNR, the better." To this I say, that depends on the level of noise, since SNR is Signal to Noise Ratio.

If there is excessive noise, combined with an excessive signal strength, you get a high SNR. However, that is not the same as having minimal noise, and a "normal" signal, which will also result in a high SNR. These two conditions could cause the same SNR reading, while one condition is good, and the other, not so much.

Next, just because the tuners have some degree of protection built in and can cycle in and out of protect mode, does not mean you should rely on that protection. A good analogy would be if you have a UPS with over-voltage protection, and you find the UPS often cycling into over-voltage protection. Would you just allow that to be, or would you do what it takes to fix the problem with the line current? Sooner or later the over-voltage protection may fail due to constant cycling of a protection mode that is meant to really only be triggered sparsely.

Your blanket viewpoints of SNR being high as being a good thing (without regard to how much noise is in the equation), and that excessive signal strength can be handled by the TiVo switching in-and-out of protect mode is dangerous.

Attenuators are either free off a cable truck, or very inexpensive to purchase. Adjustable ones are a tad pricey, but well worth it if you have some channels that have much lower signal strength, and/or you experience fluctuations (seasonal, or other) in your signal levels.

You may not have any problems right now, but just how many "protect cycles" do you think your tuner chips are rated for?

Here's a hypothetical comparison of a different nature: I have a "device" that is rated for a 6V input, but I couldn't find one. I found that a 9V supply works fine. - Just how long will this work, before the internal voltage regulator fails? Why risk it?

Do you ever use closed captioning? I have found that many channels won't display them at all if I don't keep my signal strength below 100 and my SNR 35 or lower. If I didn't use CC, the same channels would appear to work "just fine" with readings of 100/36.

Why is it that, seemingly, ever time I try to post help and/or advice, that I know is sound, that somebody has to come along and pick at it? People that do that just piss off people that are actually willing to try and help. After enough, people just stop helping.

Last edited by tcfcameron : 10-26-2010 at 05:44 PM.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:47 PM   #103
lessd

Quote:
I stand firm in what I posted. I have been dispensing this advice for months before TiVo took most of the same data, added screen-shots to it, and made it a technical article. However, they did neglect to publish some very relevant data. Otherwise, I'd just post the link and say nothing.

One person, in the past, had stated "Well, I thought the higher the SNR, the better." To this I say, that depends on the level of noise, since SNR is Signal to Noise Ratio.

If there is excessive noise, combined with an excessive signal strength, you get a high SNR. However, that is not the same as having minimal noise, and a "normal" signal, which will also result in a high SNR. These two conditions could cause the same SNR reading, while one condition is good, and the other, not so much.

Next, just because the tuners have some degree of protection built in and can cycle in and out of protect mode, does not mean you should rely on that protection. A good analogy would be if you have a UPS with over-voltage protection, and you find the UPS often cycling into over-voltage protection. Would you just allow that to be, or would you do what it takes to fix the problem with the line current? Sooner or later the over-voltage protection may fail due to constant cycling of a protection mode that is meant to really only be triggered sparsely.

Your blanket viewpoints of SNR being high as being a good thing (without regard to how much noise is in the equation), and that excessive signal strength can be handled by the TiVo switching in-and-out of protect mode is dangerous.

Attenuators are either free off a cable truck, or very inexpensive to purchase. Adjustable ones are a tad pricey, but well worth it if you have some channels that have much lower signal strength, and/or you experience fluctuations (seasonal, or other) in your signal levels.

You may not have any problems right now, but just how many "protect cycles" do you think your tuner chips are rated for?

Here's a hypothetical comparison of a different nature: I have a "device" that is rated for a 6V input, but I couldn't find one. I found that a 9V supply works fine. - Just how long will this work, before the internal voltage regulator fails? Why risk it?

Do you ever use closed captioning? I have found that many channels won't display them at all if I don't keep my signal strength below 100 and my SNR 35 or lower. If I didn't use CC, the same channels would appear to work "just fine" with readings of 100/36.

Why is it that, seemingly, ever time I try to post help and/or advice, that I know is sound, that somebody has to come along and pick at it? People that do that just piss off people that are actually willing to try and help. After enough, people just stop helping.
I for one thank you as I only looked at signal strength so at 100% one did not know if the real number was 101% or 150% so i always keep it under 100%, I will now look as the SN using your explanation.

Old 10-26-2010, 04:13 PM   #104
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
I stand firm in what I posted. I have been dispensing this advice for months before TiVo took most of the same data, added screen-shots to it, and made it a technical article. However, they did neglect to publish some very relevant data. Otherwise, I'd just post the link and say nothing.
Have you tried the link you posted? It takes me to a TiVo support page entitled "Troubleshooting digital cable signals on HD TiVo boxes". Is that what you're calling a "technical article"? I'm pretty sure that page has existed longer than your "months". Are you claiming TiVo got all that stuff from your posts (or some other inputs)?
Quote:
I follow that but isn't the problem still too much signal, with the amount of noise being irrelevant?

Quote:
TiVo's note (quoted in my earlier post) includes this statement:
Quote:
If the signal strength is well beyond the threshold, it will still register as "100", but you may experience poor picture quality as some DVR components cycle in and out of "protect" mode to prevent damage.
Perhaps it is wrongly worded, or perhaps I'm interpreting it wrongly, but this says to me that if you indeed are triggering protect mode, you will see poor picture quality -- thus if your picture quality is OK, you are NOT triggering the protect mode, thus not damaging components.

Quote:
Well, that seems to be a matter of my opinion versus yours, so far. Perhaps other "experts" will weigh in to resolve that. So far you haven't presented evidence to support your opinion as more than just an opinion.
Quote:
Yeah, I have the same problem. I know I'm right all the time yet people still have the nerve to disagree with me despite my self-proclaimed expertise. Sorry, I still think your statement was too severe, at least until I see a more credible technical analysis (or a statement from a TiVo expert).

EDIT: This should have been mentioned early in the discussion. If you are getting RS errors (corrected or uncorrected), even though your picture quality seems good, and your signal strength is pegged at 100, you may need attenuation.

and

Last edited by dlfl : 10-26-2010 at 04:43 PM.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:46 PM   #105
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

Quote:
I stand firm in what I posted. I have been dispensing this advice for months before TiVo took most of the same data, added screen-shots to it, and made it a technical article.

<SNIP>

In the interest of defending TiVo CS, I took the time to confirm that this article has been in place for a very long time and was only recently updated to change a few pieces of data. Nothing was taken from any of your postings, so I ask that you please refrain from inferring any responsibility for the language or content on our support site. I am not trying to upset you with this response or undermine your positive intentions, but I do feel it takes away from the men and women of CS who continually strive to improve our knowledge articles. Please keep in mind that this statement does not take away from the valuable knowledge & assistance you have dispensed here.

I do, however, happen to agree that the statement should stand as "qualified" by reading as "you may need attenuators". One of the hardest things to do with a knowledge article is to use language that leaves open the possibility for an exception while still making sense to the greatest number of readers. Despite what some might think, this is rarely an easy task.

With respect...

TiVoJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 05:13 PM   #106
tcfcameron
(4) 2TB TiVo HDs

In the time it took me to make this post, other posters have weighed in, so there may be some overlap.
Quote:
Have you tried the link you posted? It takes me to a TiVo support page entitled "Troubleshooting digital cable signals on HD TiVo boxes". Is that what you're calling a "technical article"? I'm pretty sure that page has existed longer than your "months". Are you claiming TiVo got all that stuff from your posts (or some other inputs)?
EDIT: I'm only saying that the content, minus the illustrations, contains the same data that I would convey if I were writing an article on the same subject. I had no part in the construction of the article, contents, its publication, or recent updates.

Quote:
I follow that but isn't the problem still too much signal, with the amount of noise being irrelevant?
I'm going to suggest you do some of your own research on this. I spent a month gathering current data to supplement what I already had learned in the past. But, I will say the the "noise" is never irrelevant. Otherwise there wouldn't be a need to monitor the SNR. It wouldn't be a ratio, if the noise wasn't figured into the equation.

Quote:
TiVo's note (quoted in my earlier post) includes this statement:

Perhaps it is wrongly worded, or perhaps I'm interpreting it wrongly, but this says to me that if you indeed are triggering protect mode, you will see poor picture quality -- thus if your picture quality is OK, you are NOT triggering the protect mode, thus not damaging components.
Why keep your levels "just on the threshold", when a simple attenuator can keep you from being right on the edge? I wouldn't be surprised if the article is updated again to clarify this.

Quote:
Well, that seems to be a matter of my opinion versus yours, so far. Perhaps other "experts" will weigh in to resolve that. So far you haven't presented evidence to support your opinion as more than just an opinion.
I hope they do. I used to contract for a cable company. Isn't that good enough?

Quote:
Yeah, I have the same problem. I know I'm right all the time yet people still have the nerve to disagree with me despite my self-proclaimed expertise. Sorry, I still think your statement was too severe, at least until I see a more credible technical analysis (or a statement from a TiVo expert).
I think that TiVoJerry might weigh in on this if/when he has the time. I consider myself as close to an expert on this matter as one can be, without being employed by TiVo. Again, I have to limit what I say due to the terms of my NDA.
Quote:
EDIT: This should have been mentioned early in the discussion. If you are getting RS errors (corrected or uncorrected), even though your picture quality seems good, and your signal strength is pegged at 100, you may need attenuation.
That is discussed in the aforementioned TiVo support article, if you expand all of it. Why they compressed it, I don't know, it could cause confusion for some if they don;t expand and get the whole article. I don't disagree, as I usually include that exact sentence when I discuss this matter. I'll update the original post.

Last edited by tcfcameron : 10-27-2010 at 09:33 AM. Reason: improper grammar
Old 10-26-2010, 05:34 PM   #107
TiVoCylon

Quote:
I'm not claiming that I am actually responsible for the content of the article. I can only say so much about how I know what I know, as I have an NDA that I have to be careful not to breach the terms of.
forgive my igonrance but isn't the mere mention of a NDA a breach of it?
TiVoCylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 05:36 PM   #108
tcfcameron
(4) 2TB TiVo HDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
I for one thank you as I only looked at signal strength so at 100% one did not know if the real number was 101% or 150% so i always keep it under 100%, I will now look as the SN using your explanation.
Thank You. You are dead-on right.

When the Signal Strength is pegged at 100, you have no idea exactly how high it is. Using the SNR as a second data-point, you can have a rough idea how far past the 100 mark you are. I find that SNR 35 or less works best, but some channels only work best if it is below 35. I have found nothing good coming out of a SNR higher than 35 (RS Corrected/Uncorrected increase, and closed captioning ceases to work on most channels).

I have four TiVo HDs, which I would consider enough "test platforms" to verify what I post.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:41 PM   #109
tcfcameron
(4) 2TB TiVo HDs

Quote:
In the interest of defending TiVo CS, I took the time to confirm that this article has been in place for a very long time and was only recently updated to change a few pieces of data. Nothing was taken from any of your postings, so I ask that you please refrain from inferring any responsibility for the language or content on our support site. I am not trying to upset you with this response or undermine your positive intentions, but I do feel it takes away from the men and women of CS who continually strive to improve our knowledge articles. Please keep in mind that this statement does not take away from the valuable knowledge & assistance you have dispensed here.

I do, however, happen to agree that the statement should stand as "qualified" by reading as "you may need attenuators". One of the hardest things to do with a knowledge article is to use language that leaves open the possibility for an exception while still making sense to the greatest number of readers. Despite what some might think, this is rarely an easy task.

With respect...
Point(s) taken, and posts edited accordingly.

I can see how what I said (meant to say) could be taken as something completely different.

Please advise if you see the need for further edits.

With Respect,
tcfcameron
Old 10-26-2010, 05:54 PM   #110
tcfcameron
(4) 2TB TiVo HDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoCylon View Post
Not that I am aware of. I think I could even go as far as to say what parties or companies the NDA is binding to, but I think it is wise to not go that far.

I'm not sweating it. I post far too much technical data, in far too many places, to not use the NDA card, when I am questioned how I know what I know (especially when giving technical advice). Some of what I know I can not speak of. That's the tricky part.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:01 PM   #111
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
......When the Signal Strength is pegged at 100, you have no idea exactly how high it is. Using the SNR as a second data-point, you can have a rough idea how far past the 100 mark you are. I find that SNR 35 or less works best, but some channels only work best if it is below 35. I have found nothing good coming out of a SNR higher than 35 (RS Corrected/Uncorrected increase, and closed captioning ceases to work on most channels).
Unless you make the assumption that noise levels are the same across all cable systems, using SNR to infer how far your signal strength is above 100 is invalid -- period. It may hold true for some systems, but it's based on this questionable assumption.
Quote:
......I have four TiVo HDs, which I would consider enough "test platforms" to verify what I post.
Only if you claim that what you post applies to just your house. Signal conditions, including variations with channel frequencies (which you haven't mentioned) can vary substantially across a single neighborhood, depending on how carefully the system has been adjusted. Not to mention system-to-system variations.

Sorry, but you just seem to have the innate desire to extrapolate limited experience to general rules -- and I have the innate desire to prevent that.

and
Old 10-26-2010, 06:14 PM   #112
tcfcameron
(4) 2TB TiVo HDs

Quote:
Unless you make the assumption <snip>
I will say that I have an "unusual" arrangement with the local cable tech, which allows me to use multiple scenarios with multiple taps off the main trunk.

You have no idea how easy it would be for me to just keep going tit-for-tat with you. But I'm not taking the bait.

I know your posting style and I'm not going to participate in polluting this thread with whose banter is bigger.

I have edited my posts to better reflect a wider range of possibilities and factors, and removed what could be interpreted as inferences that TiVo CS used my words in their support article.

It must be nice to be right all the time. Enjoy it.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:16 PM   #113
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Not that I am aware of. I think I could even go as far as to say what parties or companies the NDA is binding to, but I think it is wise to not go that far.

I'm not sweating it. I post far too much technical data, in far too many places, to not use the NDA card, when I am questioned how I know what I know (especially when giving technical advice). Some of what I know I can not speak of. That's the tricky part.
This is starting to border on the bizarre! Please give a sampling of the "too many places" you have posted "too much technical data on". I checked your posts on this forum and didn't find anything very impressive.

And could you give one possible constructive purpose served by name dropping an NDA connection here? The "tricky part" would be to defend your statements without the NDA card.

and
Old 10-26-2010, 06:27 PM   #114
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoCylon View Post
No, not usually. There are circumstances where the act of admitting one is under NDA will convey enough information to an outside party to deduce certiain covered aspects of the NDA, but in general stating one is limited by NDA is not a breach of the NDA in and of itself.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:33 AM   #115
Jonathan_S

Quote:
In the time it took me to make this post, other posters have weighed in, so there may be some duplicity.
Side tangent, did you mean 'duplication'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by google
Definitions of duplicity on the Web:

•fraudulence: a fraudulent or duplicitous representation
•acting in bad faith; deception by pretending to entertain one set of intentions while acting under the influence of another

Definitions of duplication on the Web:

•duplicate: a copy that corresponds to an original exactly; "he made a duplicate for the files"
•the act of copying or making a duplicate (or duplicates) of something; "this kind of duplication is wasteful"

Old 10-27-2010, 09:37 AM   #116
tcfcameron
(4) 2TB TiVo HDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_S View Post
Side tangent, did you mean 'duplication'?
Thanks for the grammar-check.

I edited the post to say "overlap" instead of "duplicity".

I'm not even going to ask if you didn't have anything better to do...
Old 10-27-2010, 02:16 PM   #117
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Thanks for the grammar-check.

I edited the post to say "overlap" instead of "duplicity".

I'm not even going to ask if you didn't have anything better to do...

Normally I wouldn't bother pointing out something like that, but in this case that incorrect word really altered the meaning in an unfortunate way.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:16 AM   #118
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Exclamation

I noticed another bug fix...

The parental control issue that was documented here has been squashed.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 09:28 AM   #119
bdj470

I moved into an apartment with my wife about a year ago. We opted to go with Comcast's Triple Play Package deal they had at the time. We since moved out of the apartment and transferred our Comcast service to the new location. They are now charging me 15.95 for the DVR.

Now to the point.

I re-installed my Tivo-HD (has no cablecard installed). In the past I had if I come home from work or wherever. When I turned on my tv my Tivo-HD screen would be frozen on the channel it was on.

Sometime over the past couple of days my Tivo-HD updated to 11.0j. And still issues with my Tivo-HD freezing every once and awhile. Also when I was switching channels on the standard channels (i.e. 2 - 99). Some of the channels were gray. Before 11.0j they were fine.

I would like to switch to the Tivo but hesitant. I like Tivo much better then the Comcast DVR as with that I am getting shows that are getting recording cancellation by the DVR box. Don't ask why they just are.
bdj470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 10:06 AM   #120
tcfcameron
(4) 2TB TiVo HDs

Arrow 11.0j has me wishing that there was an alternative to TiVo HD (a good one).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdj470 View Post
Now to the point.

I re-installed my TiVo-HD (has no CableCard installed). In the past I had if I come home from work or wherever. When I turned on my TV my TiVo-HD screen would be frozen on the channel it was on.

Sometime over the past couple of days my TiVo-HD updated to 11.0j. And still issues with my TiVo-HD freezing every once and awhile. Also when I was switching channels on the standard channels (i.e. 2 - 99). Some of the channels were gray. Before 11.0j they were fine.

I would like to switch to the TiVo but hesitant. I like TiVo much better then the Comcast DVR as with that I am getting shows that are getting recording cancellation by the DVR box. Don't ask why they just are.
Software 11.0j, in my experience, has introduced more problems than it fixed. Sure, now it supports USB keyboards, Pandora, and larger external drives, but I hadn't had a grey-screen or frozen picture in nearly a year, now they are back, I have audio drop-outs in my analog recordings, and my TiVos have started rebooting themselves when they are under heavy load.

Considering that I have four TiVo HDs, two old, two fairly new, and the 11.0j induced problems affect ALL of them (and I have gone to great lengths to insure that the incoming cable signal is good and is attenuated to the levels that the TiVo HD requires), how can I believe it to be anything other than a TiVo problem? No other cable-connected device in the house has ANY problems, including a non-TiVo DVR.

As of the release of 11.0j, I went from recommending TiVos to all, and defending their being so finicky about the cable signal levels, to not being able to, in good faith, recommend TiVo to anybody. Sad, very sad...

However, just because my four TiVos are performing like crud, doesn't mean that yours necessarily will. All you can do is try it and see. If you do, I wish you luck. I love(d) my TiVos. Now they are my sole, biggest source of daily frustration.

BTW: I tried giving the Premiere a shot, but after getting two DOA in a row, I gave up. They were XLs, and each one had one defective tuner that introduced noise into LiveTV and recorded programming.

Last edited by tcfcameron : 10-30-2010 at 03:17 PM. Reason: typos