TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-21-2010, 01:59 PM   #151
comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcobourn View Post
Exactly. Has anyone using this method survived the 14.5 to 14.6 update?
Quote:
Originally Posted by txporter View Post
Using comer's method? I did. Just got the update the other day. Installed and rebooted without a hitch.
What drives (1 or 2T for ex.) and systems (TP or TPXL) do you have guys?

The old command-line guide is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
comer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 09:38 PM   #152
akaussie

Quote:
Originally Posted by comer View Post
I came home to my 2 TB TP showing 15.6, so no problems here.
akaussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 10:04 PM   #153
SullyND
L:27-31

Quote:
Originally Posted by akaussie View Post
I came home to my 2 TB TP showing 15.6, so no problems here.
i15.6!
SullyND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 10:37 PM   #154
akaussie

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SullyND View Post
i15.6!
Oops.. slight typo.. 14.6..
Hopefully we will be talking about 15.x within the next year...
akaussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 09:45 AM   #155
txporter
One sec, almost done

Quote:
WD20EARS. Standard Premiere
Series2 540 400GB Seagate DB35 (lifetime)
txporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 10:23 AM   #156
rcobourn
Registered Snoozer

Quote:
Seagate 2TB, TP

Going to copy the stock drive to the 2TB and retry the upgrade this weekend, maybe it was a fluke.
rcobourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 09:24 PM   #157
Hannover Fist

Guys:

Followed the instructions in the first post: Booted from usb, original tivo drive is sda, new 2T Hitachi is sdb. [C]opied the drive, then [E]xpanded it, no worries, errors, etc.

Put the drive back in the new premier, booted it, got the typical "just a few more minutes please" screen, then... colorful confetti static on my screen with the hard drive grinding away.

This is not the expected outcome.

Previous to attempting the copy, I had done initial setup, paired the cable card, and downloaded the latest update of Tivo software available ( sorry, in my haste to upgrade I neglected to get the version number ). After the software update applied, there were two subsequent reboots for partition switching, etc, and then a happy working updated Premier.

I did a quick review of the partitions with mfslayout.sh and they seemed appropriate. I'm running the copy again, and I'll try and boot it without expanding it to see if that makes a difference.

But, the question here is: Have any of you seen anything like this before or do you have any idea what might have borked up here? Did I not wait long enough on initial boot with the newly expanded drive?

HannoverFist
Hannover Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 10:17 PM   #158
comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannover Fist View Post
But, the question here is: Have any of you seen anything like this before or do you have any idea what might have borked up here? Did I not wait long enough on initial boot with the newly expanded drive?
I have. No apparent reason. Just waited a bit and it went away with Tivo clip. So I if you see it again - wait a bit longer The only definite manifestation of the problem I have seen so far - is boot loop. When Tivo reboots, wait a minute, then reboots again and so on. Everything else recovers by itself in my experience.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-24-2010, 12:00 AM   #159
Hannover Fist

Went back, re-copied the original, and booted from it. Brief color confetti screen, then the new Tivo intro clip played. Ok, good step 1.

Removed the drive, expanded it, replaced it, rebooted - no color confetti but about 20 seconds of black screen before the intro clip.

So, turns out I wasn't patient enough originally and got worried. My apologies - but, hopefully the next soul will learn from my experiences.

Thanks for the excellent utility, Comer. I'll be sending something your way.

HannoverFist
Hannover Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 12:32 AM   #160
richsadams

Quote:
So, turns out I wasn't patient enough originally and got worried.

richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 03:05 AM   #161
comer

Quote:
Went back, re-copied the original, and booted from it. Brief color confetti screen, then the new Tivo intro clip played. Ok, good step 1.

Removed the drive, expanded it, replaced it, rebooted - no color confetti but about 20 seconds of black screen before the intro clip.

So, turns out I wasn't patient enough originally and got worried. My apologies - but, hopefully the next soul will learn from my experiences.

Thanks for the excellent utility, Comer. I'll be sending something your way.

HannoverFist
No problem, glad it turned out alright for you Enjoy!

Old 10-25-2010, 08:52 AM   #162
Berryman1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredqwest View Post
I was curious as to whether this software would work on my THD.

Computer used is an old P4 Asus MB running XP SP3. Source is the original 160 gigger.

The first drive I tried was a Seagate 7200.11 1.5TB. JMFS booted and recognized both drives. Activated the copy and after several hours it finished and expanded the 1.5TB. THD booted up and it now showed 215 HD hrs.

Next tried a Samsung 2TB, that I pulled from my server. JMFS did its thing again. It took 5:35 to cold boot to the intro animation.... seemed like an eternity.

Now it shows 287 HD hrs. Here's a couple of photos...
My internal hd is dying on my TiVoHD. I would like to get the biggest replacement I can. My question is this. Does this post say that I can make A 2TB drive work? Because that would be awesome. Thanks in advance to any who respond.
Berryman1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 10:32 AM   #163
retiredqwest

JMFS and THD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berryman1979 View Post
My internal hd is dying on my TiVoHD. I would like to get the biggest replacement I can. My question is this. Does this post say that I can make A 2TB drive work? Because that would be awesome. Thanks in advance to any who respond.
YES

NO wait... I left those messages as a tease......

I ran this program against 4 drives and I'm still using the 1.5TB in the THD for the last month since I'm saving the WD 2TB EVDS for my new Premiere.

If you do this it will give you 287 hrs HD. And if you use WINMfs and turn on 'supersize' it will show 318 hrs HD.

THD 1.5TB Seagate = 237 hrs HD
Premiere WD20EVDS = 317 hrs HD.
XL4 = 318 hrs HD
retiredqwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 12:34 PM   #164
NYHeel

Quick question. I'm running out of space on my previously upgraded TivoHD 1TB drive that I used WinMFS for. Can I use JMFS to upgrade (and copy recordings) from my 1TB drive to a new 2 TB drive? Also, assuming I can and everything works, would I need to run supersize in WinMFS or would the fact that the 1TB drive in the TivoHD already has supersize set carry over to the 2TB drive? Thanks for the help.
NYHeel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 01:12 PM   #165
retiredqwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYHeel View Post
Quick question. I'm running out of space on my previously upgraded TivoHD 1TB drive that I used WinMFS for. Can I use JMFS to upgrade (and copy recordings) from my 1TB drive to a new 2 TB drive? Also, assuming I can and everything works, would I need to run supersize in WinMFS or would the fact that the 1TB drive in the TivoHD already has supersize set carry over to the 2TB drive? Thanks for the help.
In my experimenting.... Supersize must be a bit that is written to the hard drive. So, if the old drive was supersized, JMFS would copy that setting over to a new drive.

And I did try copying a 1TB to a 2TB drive... took over 7 hours maybe even 8....

XL4 = 318 hrs HD
Old 10-25-2010, 01:19 PM   #166
comer

Quote:
The answer for the 1st question - most likely it will not work. Just like WinMFS, jmfs will create a new partition. I know for sure that Premiere does not like that and would not work. I can't say if THD won't with the same certainty.
The answer to the 2nd question - most likely it will work. I.e. "supersize" will be carried over, but the point is moot because of the 1st issue.

Old 10-25-2010, 04:05 PM   #167
retiredqwest

Quote:
The answer for the 1st question - most likely it will not work. Just like WinMFS, jmfs will create a new partition. I know for sure that Premiere does not like that and would not work. I can't say if THD won't with the same certainty.
The answer to the 2nd question - most likely it will work. I.e. "supersize" will be carried over, but the point is moot because of the 1st issue.
No longer a most likely..... I just tried it and JMFS does not detect the expanded drive created by WINmfs. And that was using a 750G drive......

XL4 = 318 hrs HD
Old 10-25-2010, 04:36 PM   #168
comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredqwest View Post
No longer a most likely..... I just tried it and JMFS does not detect the expanded drive created by WINmfs. And that was using a 750G drive......
A drive from THD? That's strange...
You wouldn't have the 'log.log', would you?

Old 10-26-2010, 11:39 AM   #169
retiredqwest

Quote:
A drive from THD? That's strange...
You wouldn't have the 'log.log', would you?
I guess my Unix/Dos/Linux skills are lacking on this.

After JMFS is loaded, I eXit out to the root prompt. I can dir the root and see those files, I can ls and see everything. I can use less log.log | more and scroll thru the file and fdisk -l shows the drives mounted......

but when I try cp log.log /dev/sda it doesn't copy the file..... I did cp --help and that doesn't seem to help me....

so go ahead and tell me what to do...... musta killed too many brain cells when I was younger....

XL4 = 318 hrs HD
Old 10-27-2010, 07:55 AM   #170
Thos19

So this upgrade will work with the Tivo HD? Will it work with the Series 3, or are we still bound by the 1.25TB limit. I love my Series 3 and it would be great to upgrade to 2TB.

Thos.
Thos19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:43 AM   #171
comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thos19 View Post
So this upgrade will work with the Tivo HD? Will it work with the Series 3, or are we still bound by the 1.25TB limit. I love my Series 3 and it would be great to upgrade to 2TB.

Thos.
No, it doesn't.

Old 10-27-2010, 10:06 AM   #172
tcfcameron
(4) 2TB TiVo HDs

Quote:
No, it doesn't.
Look at it as an opportunity, Comer. Build the tools and they will come...

...and donate to the Comer "All things TiVo expansion" R&D fund.

...that is, if they know what's good for 'em!

I wonder if that "Paragon Drive Copy" program, that somebody had claimed success with, in an earlier post, works for all models.

Any luck replicating the MFS Supersize toggle yet?

Or, replicating the WinMFS truncated backup process?

No pressure (OK, just a little).

Is there anything I can do on my end that may be of help? I still have that 2TB "spare" drive installed in my computer for testing purposes, as well as drive images at the ready (all except for the Premiere, wouldn't ya' know).

Just let me know.

As far as the OP's question, there's some confusion as to which model they are asking about. It's not clear if they are asking about the "Series 3", or the "TiVo HD". If the TiVo HD, there's always the Broflovski image and WinMFS to get 2TB w/supersize and 318 glorious hours of HD capacity.

I just wish I there were a means to make occasional backups of a 2TB TiVo HD, once the Broflovski image is installed (either truncated, or full). Currently there isn't (that I am aware of). Maybe that Paragon software would do the full backup...
tcfcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:39 AM   #173
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcfcameron View Post

I wonder if that "Paragon Drive Copy" program, that somebody had claimed success with, in an earlier post, works for all models.

Is there anything I can do on my end that may be of help? I still have that 2TB "spare" drive installed in my computer for testing purposes, as well as drive images at the ready (all except for the Premiere, wouldn't ya' know).

Just let me know.

As far as the OP's question, there's some confusion as to which model they are asking about. It's not clear if they are asking about the "Series 3", or the "TiVo HD". If the TiVo HD, there's always the Broflovski image and WinMFS to get 2TB w/supersize and 318 glorious hours of HD capacity.

I just wish I there were a means to make occasional backups of a 2TB TiVo HD, once the Broflovski image is installed (either truncated, or full). Currently there isn't (that I am aware of). Maybe that Paragon software would do the full backup...
You can do a full backup onto another 2Tb drive but that a pain in time and cost of your 2TB backup drive.

Old 10-27-2010, 01:24 PM   #174
coold8

Hey Guys,

The download link is down unless you are a mediafire subscriber, so here you go:

http://www.thesocialworldwide.com/jmfs-rev68.iso.zip

Thanks.

---------------------------------

(1) Tivo Roamio Pro
(1) Tivo Roamio
(1) Tivo Premiere 4XL
(1) Tivo Premiere
coold8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 01:47 PM   #175
comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by coold8 View Post
Hey Guys,

The download link is down unless you are a mediafire subscriber, so here you go:

http://www.thesocialworldwide.com/jmfs-rev68.iso.zip

Thanks.
Added your link as a mirror to the guide. Thanks a lot!
Though mediafire works for me... Could someone try the original link, please?

Old 10-27-2010, 02:06 PM   #176
richsadams

Quote:
Added your link as a mirror to the guide. Thanks a lot!
Though mediafire works for me... Could someone try the original link, please?
The file "jmfs-rev68.iso.zip" from the original link downloads fine...the other, "jmfs-src-rev68.zip", didn't though...just received a bunch of pop-up ads. (Reminded me to turn my pop-up blocker back on!)
Old 10-27-2010, 02:14 PM   #177
comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
The file "jmfs-rev68.iso.zip" from the original link downloads fine...the other, "jmfs-src-rev68.zip", didn't though...just received a bunch of pop-up ads. (Reminded me to turn my pop-up blocker back on!)
Just tried it - works for me too. There is a popup, but I closed it and the download link behind worked.

Old 10-27-2010, 02:23 PM   #178
richsadams

Quote:
Just tried it - works for me too. There is a popup, but I closed it and the download link behind worked.
Ah, I must have missed it. I got about four pop-ups so I probably closed it in my haste to get rid of them all.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:48 AM   #179
NYHeel

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcfcameron View Post

Just let me know.

I think there is some confusion here. I'm fairly certain that retiredqwest said that he tried JMFS on a TivoHD and it worked (although it took the Tivo a really long time to boot up since itr had to fix a lot of stuff in the drive). My question that I asked earlier was if I could go from a 1TB already upgraded TivoHD drive to a 2TB drive using JMFS. THat one is apparently a no.

By the way, I would use the Broflovski image if I could get my hands on it. But I haven't seen anyone still sharing that image so JMFS seems like the only way to get a 2TB drive in my Tivo HD with DIY methods. I of course understand that JMFS was not created for use in a TivoHD.
NYHeel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:13 AM   #180
retiredqwest

Quote:
I think there is some confusion here. I'm fairly certain that retiredqwest said that he tried JMFS on a TivoHD and it worked (although it took the Tivo a really long time to boot up since itr had to fix a lot of stuff in the drive). My question that I asked earlier was if I could go from a 1TB already upgraded TivoHD drive to a 2TB drive using JMFS. THat one is apparently a no.

By the way, I would use the Broflovski image if I could get my hands on it. But I haven't seen anyone still sharing that image so JMFS seems like the only way to get a 2TB drive in my Tivo HD with DIY methods. I of course understand that JMFS was not created for use in a TivoHD.
Yes, JMFS does detect the stock THD and I was able to copy and then expand to a a 2TB drive, Samsung is all I had then. That gave me 287 hrs. Then I used Winmfs and turned on supersize to max out at the 318 hr mark. I also tried this on a 1TB and 1.5TB drives. I have left the Seagate 1.5TB in the THD, 237 hrs is good enough for it. I then tried copying the 1TB to a 2TB... took almost 8 hrs. Thank goodness I had a spare computer....

Yesterday, I used Winmfs and copied the THD to a 750G and expanded it. JMFS did not detect it. Then I tried a 200G and did not expand it.

Conclusion: JMFS will not detect a THD drive created by Winmfs.

It would be nice if someone else tried this out and see if they get the same results.

XL4 = 318 hrs HD