TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-07-2010, 10:55 AM   #121
kturcotte

Quote:
Originally Posted by comer View Post
Seems alright. May be DVD is an issue after all. Can you boot from USB? First you will need FAT formatted USB stick. Then either do steps here, or copy everything from CD to USB and use "\boot\usb_inst.cmd X:" on USB (where "X:" is your USB drive name under Windows).
That it seems to like. I haven't actually connected the drives since there's stuff recording until 4 PM, but I didn't get that error message, and it was looking for Tivo drives!! I'll update later (Hopefully around 8PM or so). Question-I would *ASSUME* the transfer would be quicker if there were less stuff recorded on the original drive (Especially suggestions which is about 30 HD hours full lol)?
kturcotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 11:03 AM   #122
comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kturcotte View Post
That it seems to like. I haven't actually connected the drives since there's stuff recording until 4 PM, but I didn't get that error message, and it was looking for Tivo drives!! I'll update later (Hopefully around 8PM or so). Question-I would *ASSUME* the transfer would be quicker if there were less stuff recorded on the original drive (Especially suggestions which is about 30 HD hours full lol)?
There you go! Nope, it won't be faster - it does the exact clone of the original drive, so always full 320G (or 1T for XL) to copy. The only way to speed it up - is to attach drives using direct SATA connections.

The old command-line guide is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
comer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 11:04 AM   #123
kturcotte

Quote:
There you go! Nope, it won't be faster - it does the exact clone of the original drive, so always full 320G (or 1T for XL) to copy. The only way to speed it up - is to attach drives using direct SATA connections.
I'm connecting them direct to the motherboard via SATA. I'm not afraid to open my computer lol
Old 10-07-2010, 11:06 AM   #124
comer

Quote:
I'm connecting them direct to the motherboard via SATA. I'm not afraid to open my computer lol
So that's as fast as it gets. You are looking at about 3 hours of cloning.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:45 PM   #125
kturcotte

It worked!! Everything booted up fine (Seemed a little quicker than usual even), and I have 290 hours of space. Thanks!!!!
Old 10-08-2010, 07:55 AM   #126
comer

Quote:
It worked!! Everything booted up fine (Seemed a little quicker than usual even), and I have 290 hours of space. Thanks!!!!
Finally! No problem, enjoy!

Old 10-09-2010, 07:47 PM   #127
Anthony GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukleuz View Post
I don't know if the software would boot on a macbook pro intel,anyone tried that yet?
I just tried today and have been unable to get it to boot. I just get the flashing folder image with the "?" as it looks for system info to boot off of.

I made the boot DVD with Disk Utility. I think I will try again tomorrow using Toast and see if that makes a difference.

Tony
Anthony GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 08:05 PM   #128
comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony GT View Post
I just tried today and have been unable to get it to boot. I just get the flashing folder image with the "?" as it looks for system info to boot off of.

I made the boot DVD with Disk Utility. I think I will try again tomorrow using Toast and see if that makes a difference.

Tony
kturcotte has just recently reported that he had problem with bootable DVD as well here. Try bootable USB.

Old 10-10-2010, 09:46 AM   #129
tcfcameron
(4) 2TB TiVo HDs

Quote:
Probably because it's already "supersized", hence the difference.
Ah, yes, that would make sense.
tcfcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 05:15 PM   #130
rcobourn
Registered Snoozer

Quote:
Looks like a CD-burn problem. Can you see what's on CD under your regular OS (windows/mac)? You should see a couple of dirs: boot - 7Mb, JavaMFS - 78Mb. Inside JavaMFS there must be a file "livecd.sgn". Is it there?
My upgrade went well after a couple minor problems.

I got the same error when the cd-rom drive was attached to a SATA port that was apparently different from the others. My motherboard has 6 ports on one controller and 2 on other. The ports on the secondary controller cause this problem.

BTW, discCopy is actually copyDisc, or vice versa.

Thanks for the great tools!
rcobourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 12:29 PM   #131
Anthony GT

Quote:
kturcotte has just recently reported that he had problem with bootable DVD as well here. Try bootable USB.
Well, it took a while before I could get back to this. I was able to make a bootable DVD on my Macbook Pro using Toast. Next up is the actual drive expansion! I'm going to try it on my Mac-mini. I'll report back with results.

Tony

Last edited by Anthony GT : 10-17-2010 at 03:51 PM.
Old 10-18-2010, 03:53 PM   #132
AbMagFab
What happened, TiVo?

Couple of questions:

1) Can I backup my stock Tivo drive to an ISO somewhere? If so, what would you recommend?

2) Will your tool work with an ISO as a source? Mounted with VCD or something similar?

3) Can I use the drive/ISO from one Premiere to upgrade another Premiere? Knowing I'd have to do a C&DE after the install.

Thanks!

Multiple S3s, HDs, HDXLs, Premieres - all looking like relics now
TiVo is on it's way out -
!
AbMagFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 04:08 PM   #133
comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbMagFab View Post
1) Can I backup my stock Tivo drive to an ISO somewhere? If so, what would you recommend?
Yes. It will be a 1-to-1 image as opposed to WinMFS/MFStools-style backup. Meaning that it will be the size of the original drive - 320G for regular and 1T for XL. The virgin images are compressed pretty well though - to a few G from 320. See the "old" guide in my signature, especially #6 under Usage -> LInux. All the tools are on CD.

Quote:
2) Will your tool work with an ISO as a source? Mounted with VCD or something similar?
Yes. Same as above.

Quote:
3) Can I use the drive/ISO from one Premiere to upgrade another Premiere? Knowing I'd have to do a C&DE after the install.
Yes. I didn't try it myself, but I know a few who did.

Quote:
Thanks!
No problem, happy upgrading!

Old 10-18-2010, 04:22 PM   #134
dmk1974
DA BEARS!!!

Quote:
**WARNING**
  1. Opening your Tivo cover will void manufacturer's warranty.

[/indent]
How would TiVo know that you opened your cover? There used to be stickers on the back years ago, but mine doesn't have any.

TiVo Premiere 4 w/Lifetime (318 hr)
TiVo Premiere 4 w/Lifetime (77 hr)
TiVo Mini w/Lifetime (x4)
TiVo Stream
dmk1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 04:30 PM   #135
comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk1974 View Post
How would TiVo know that you opened your cover? There used to be stickers on the back years ago, but mine doesn't have any.
If something happens (you spill your coffee inside) and they ask, you would have to tell them honestly, right?

Old 10-18-2010, 04:56 PM   #136
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk1974 View Post
We even had a "method" of removing those little silver jewels so they wouldn't be damaged and could be replaced once upon a time. They haven't used them for years though. So as Comer mentions, unless you spill something inside or break something there's plausible deniability.

The fact of the matter is TiVo knows about our little mod adventures almost from the moment TiVo is fired up. As soon as TiVo communicates with the Mother Ship they're aware of the change by viewing their logs. However there have only been a couple of cases of TiVo denying warranty service. As long as you don't confesses to a CSR that you performed an upgrade (end of story) and re-install the original drive before returning it, life s/b good.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 01:29 AM   #137
Leon WIlkinson
TiVo Gone Wild

Quote:
If something happens (you spill your coffee inside) and they ask, you would have to tell them honestly, right?
Good thing most TiVos don't have a built in cup holder, like a desktop.
Old 10-19-2010, 01:36 AM   #138
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon WIlkinson View Post
Good thing most TiVos don't have a built in cup holder, like a desktop.
Except for the older Series3's.

Old 10-19-2010, 08:58 AM   #139
comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post

Btw, I loooove this front display. Why did they abandoned it in THD/Premiere?

Old 10-19-2010, 09:08 AM   #140
richsadams

Quote:
Btw, I loooove this front display. Why did they abandoned it in THD/Premiere?
$$$
Old 10-19-2010, 12:20 PM   #141
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post

WTF is that icon on the right of the display? I never see that! Was there a later generation?
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 02:17 PM   #142
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post
WTF is that icon on the right of the display? I never see that! Was there a later generation?
Press the format button and that icon will come on, that button is under the clock a little to your right.

Old 10-19-2010, 05:27 PM   #143
Anthony GT

Quote:
Well, it took a while before I could get back to this. I was able to make a bootable DVD on my Macbook Pro using Toast. Next up is the actual drive expansion! I'm going to try it on my Mac-mini. I'll report back with results.

Tony
Success! It took about 6 hours to make the copy since I was using 2 SATA --> USB adapters plugged into my Mac-Mini. Super easy process from start to finish. Awesome work, comer! Contribution coming your way soon.
Old 10-19-2010, 06:16 PM   #144
comer

Quote:
Success! It took about 6 hours to make the copy since I was using 2 SATA --> USB adapters plugged into my Mac-Mini. Super easy process from start to finish. Awesome work, comer! Contribution coming your way soon.
Enjoy!

Old 10-20-2010, 08:18 AM   #145
Leon WIlkinson
TiVo Gone Wild

Comer is about to make me break my warranty, dang you!!

Thank you for your hard work!!!
Old 10-20-2010, 08:52 AM   #146
comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon WIlkinson View Post
Comer is about to make me break my warranty, dang you!!

Thank you for your hard work!!!
I never condone such an action

Old 10-21-2010, 10:18 AM   #147
rcobourn
Registered Snoozer

Exclamation Service update warning!

Got a service update yesterday (was at 14.5). Restarted the TiVo last night to apply it, and it stuck at applying the service update all night. I power cycled this morning and after the initial startup message it goes to blank screen and stays there. Going to have to revert to my stock drive.

I suggest you pull off any recordings you want before the TiVo reboots!
Old 10-21-2010, 11:48 AM   #148
comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcobourn View Post
Got a service update yesterday (was at 14.5). Restarted the TiVo last night to apply it, and it stuck at applying the service update all night. I power cycled this morning and after the initial startup message it goes to blank screen and stays there. Going to have to revert to my stock drive.

I suggest you pull off any recordings you want before the TiVo reboots!
So you had an expanded drive at 14.5 and it stuck on 14.6 update?

Old 10-21-2010, 12:44 PM   #149
rcobourn
Registered Snoozer

Quote:
So you had an expanded drive at 14.5 and it stuck on 14.6 update?
Exactly. Has anyone using this method survived the 14.5 to 14.6 update?
Old 10-21-2010, 01:08 PM   #150
txporter
One sec, almost done

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcobourn View Post
Exactly. Has anyone using this method survived the 14.5 to 14.6 update?
Using comer's method? I did. Just got the update the other day. Installed and rebooted without a hitch.
Series2 540 400GB Seagate DB35 (lifetime)
txporter is offline   Reply With Quote