TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-15-2008, 02:51 PM   #61
CuriousMark
Forum Denizen

I updated the NAS hack howto page

I have added a note to my NAS hacking page to warn people that it will no longer help them if they are using current versions of TiVo Desktop.

Last edited by CuriousMark : 04-15-2008 at 07:12 PM.
CuriousMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 11:15 AM   #62
Injuhneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousMark View Post
I have added a note to my NAS hacking page to warn people that it will no longer help them if they are using current versions of TiVo Desktop.
Indeed. I upgraded to 2.6.1 from a 2.3 rev and suddenly all UNCs don't work. That sux.
Injuhneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 11:21 AM   #63
Injuhneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk View Post
Problem solved by complete accident, naturally: I noticed that whenever I would try to move (from w/in the TD Prefs) the My TiVo Recordings (MTR) folder to a new location on the NAS, this problem would occur, and the file "desktop.ini" would show up when it's normally a hidden/system file. Today, while copying some files from the MTR to my NAS, I took the shortcut of simply copying the MTR folder, and when I opened it on the NAS I saw that the desktop.ini file was not showing (and when I checked, properly there and with the right settings as hidden/system). I then tried to move the setting for the MTR folder in TD Prefs to that folder (on the NAS) and it worked like a charm. Would be very interested to know if this method (copying the actual real MTR folder to the NAS, then re-directing TD to it in Prefs) works for others to put this issue to rest once and for all (sorry-- I'm not willing to un-do/re-try this just yet!)...
Not for me. I have XP Pro and Win2k3 Server. The desktop.ini is visible and cn be opened for edited. The file is fine. The TD prefs simply won't allow me to select any network resource for MTR.

I am testing a solution now:

Shut down TD.

I have gone into the registry in XP and modified the HKCU/Software/Tivo/Desktop/Modules/TivoNowPlaying/config/LocalRootPath value to reflect the mapped drive path.

When I launched TD it said the drive was missing or moved and the slection dialog appeared. I selected the mapped network drive and the OK buttong un-greyed.

I clicked OK and waited a few moments. The contents of the network drive now appear in the Now Playing List.

Next is to set up some transfers and see what happens.

Last edited by Injuhneer : 04-27-2008 at 11:38 AM.
Injuhneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 06:10 PM   #64
mitchc

interesting thing....

on my buffalo terrastation pro I am able to store my music and photos and tivo desktop works fine...I can access thru any of 4 tivos in the house over the network. the videos though i cannot store on the nas as is discussed in the forums.

if your edit of the registry works, would you please post the details.
mitchc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 09:36 AM   #65
gvegastiger

This may be a dumb quesiton, but has anyone gotten their Tivo's to read movie files off a NAS drive using TD on a Mac?

I tried just changing the location but my S2 doesn't see any files. I haven't tried the shortcut option yet but will this evening. Has anyone done this yet? I have a Simpleshare NAS 500 GB and want to use it to store my DVD collection on.
gvegastiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 10:52 PM   #66
acheslow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Injuhneer View Post
Shut down TD.

I have gone into the registry in XP and modified the HKCU/Software/Tivo/Desktop/Modules/TivoNowPlaying/config/LocalRootPath value to reflect the mapped drive path.

When I launched TD it said the drive was missing or moved and the slection dialog appeared. I selected the mapped network drive and the OK buttong un-greyed.

I clicked OK and waited a few moments. The contents of the network drive now appear in the Now Playing List.

This worked for me on Vista with a ReadyNAS. Thanks!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
acheslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 10:56 PM   #67
wlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by acheslow View Post
This worked for me on Vista with a ReadyNAS. Thanks!!
Unfortunately, it didn't work for me (XP) with unRAID. The dialog box popped up (after modifying the registry) and the new mapped network drive was highlighted. After clicking the "OK" button, however, the dialog box popped right back up again. If I highlighted another drive letter, the OK box grayed out and I could no longer select my mapped network drive.
wlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 08:49 PM   #68
wlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlk View Post
Unfortunately, it didn't work for me (XP) with unRAID.
FYI. I just upgraded to unRAID v4.3.3 (Samba 3.0.28a), but no joy.
wlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 11:47 AM   #69
fatavatar

I was able to get this to work with unRaid by creating symbolic link in Vista to the unRaid mapped drive. (It seemed to take a few tries however). I'm not sure if you can do the same thing with an NTFS junction in XP or not. I'm not sure XP supports symbolic links.
fatavatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 08:27 PM   #70
kmackenz
KMACK

Worked for me on a LinkStation Live with Vista! Thanks!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Injuhneer View Post
Not for me. I have XP Pro and Win2k3 Server. The desktop.ini is visible and cn be opened for edited. The file is fine. The TD prefs simply won't allow me to select any network resource for MTR.

I am testing a solution now:

Shut down TD.

Series 2
Series 3
Primiere XL
kmackenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 08:30 PM   #71
kmackenz
KMACK

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmackenz View Post
Worked for me on a LinkStation Live with Vista! Thanks!!!!

Never mind... Now it keeps asking to pick the folder after saying OK! I was replied too quick! Was excited to see the non-grayed out OK.

Series 2
Series 3
Primiere XL
kmackenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 09:25 PM   #72
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Ummmm. curl in kmttg works writing to a network drive.

The only problem I had was curl complaining about mismatched file sizes on shows > 4GB but I was going from a Windows XP PC to a drive mounted from an Apple Time Capsule. A lot of tempting fate there but it worked fine for a long while.

I think curl writes 4GB after buffering and it was not fast enough. .... Now that I think about it, I had the problem when I moved the PC to a 100mb switch from a 1000mb link right on the Time Capsule. Idea!
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeAndrews is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 10:16 PM   #73
Gregor

Trying to do this now with a DLINK DNS-321. Tried the registry hack, no go. Ideas?

MK:3523-2615-6739

Do not taunt happy thread counts.
Gregor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 12:53 PM   #74
mkinnuca

I have the same problem. I use an HP mediasmart server. As a workaround I use Smart Sync Pro software to move the tivo files from my laptop to the server.
mkinnuca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 07:27 PM   #75
Matt J.

Thumbs up fixed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk View Post
Problem solved by complete accident, naturally: I noticed that whenever I would try to move (from w/in the TD Prefs) the My TiVo Recordings (MTR) folder to a new location on the NAS, this problem would occur, and the file "desktop.ini" would show up when it's normally a hidden/system file. Today, while copying some files from the MTR to my NAS, I took the shortcut of simply copying the MTR folder, and when I opened it on the NAS I saw that the desktop.ini file was not showing (and when I checked, properly there and with the right settings as hidden/system). I then tried to move the setting for the MTR folder in TD Prefs to that folder (on the NAS) and it worked like a charm. Would be very interested to know if this method (copying the actual real MTR folder to the NAS, then re-directing TD to it in Prefs) works for others to put this issue to rest once and for all (sorry-- I'm not willing to un-do/re-try this just yet!)...
This fixed it for me. I'm running TiVo Desktop 2.8 on Windows 7 and using an Intel SS4200-E for the NAS.

Here's what worked.
1. Copy the "My Tivo Recordings" from the default location to its new home on the NAS. Make sure you include the desktop.ini in the copy. (As mentioned this is hidden by default)
2. Regedit and modify "LocalRootPath" under "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\TiVo\Desktop\Modules\TivoNowPlay ing\Config". This should be set to point to the location of the "My Tivo Recordings" folder on the NAS.
3. start TiVo Desktop and transfer a program.
4. (optional for Desktop Plus) regedit and modify "OutputPath" under "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\TiVo\Desktop\Converter" Change this to point to whatever location you want to use on the NAS.
Matt J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:35 AM   #76
kmbarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt J. View Post
1. Copy the "My Tivo Recordings" from the default location to its new home on the NAS. Make sure you include the desktop.ini in the copy. (As mentioned this is hidden by default)
2. Regedit and modify "LocalRootPath" under "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\TiVo\Desktop\Modules\TivoNowPlay ing\Config". This should be set to point to the location of the "My Tivo Recordings" folder on the NAS.
4. (optional for Desktop Plus) regedit and modify "OutputPath" under "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\TiVo\Desktop\Converter" Change this to point to whatever location you want to use on the NAS.
Thanks! I worked through just about all the solutions here without success [excluding alternate software or scripts to indirectly transfer recordings] and this finally worked perfectly for me!
kmbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 08:45 PM   #77
Imladrian
I brake for Ewoks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt J. View Post
This fixed it for me. I'm running TiVo Desktop 2.8 on Windows 7 and using an Intel SS4200-E for the NAS.

Here's what worked.
I'm running Windows XP, TiVo HD, TiVo Desktop 2.8, and trying to use a 1TB My Book Live connected to my router. I was able to get THD to transfer to my My Book Live drive by cut/pasting the My TiVo Recordings folder to it and then editing the registry as directed above. I noticed a few differences from the results that were described.

1. The desktop.ini file does not require me to change my Folder Options > View settings to deselect "Hide protected operating system files" in order view it (i.e. it's always visible).

2. Something is screwy with the TiVo desktop window. If I manually select a file and initiate a transfer, I'm unable to close, minimize, or select anything as an hour glass appears anytime I try to click on anything. The window remains open until the transfer is done and my inputs are accepted. During the transfer other windows/programs still respond.

3. My overall system performance seems to bog down during a file transfer and is much slower than I experienced with a USB connected storage drive. This degradation affects all applications running.

I'm not too worried about the system file being visible, but I would love to have control over the program window and not suffer a hit to performance. Any suggestions.
Imladrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 06:32 PM   #78
pilott

I recently ran into this problem as well. As a last attempt before going into the registry I tried using a symbolic link to my network share and that did work. This is only an option with vista and later (I think, never used vista and I am using win 7).

mklink /D C:\video \\NAS\video

A bit of strangeness: I had to ALSO have a mapped share with saved credentials to get it to work (I have \\NAS\video mapped to V: with username and password saved). There might be a better way to handle the credentials, but that worked.
pilott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 08:34 PM   #79
turbo327
Ret Network Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor View Post
Trying to do this now with a DLINK DNS-321. Tried the registry hack, no go. Ideas?
Just got Mattj's reg edit above working fine on the Dlink DNS-321 NAS. Tivo works both ways.

The only thing I've noticed is on reboot just 1 time the Tivo server did not want to correct reboot. I am using the Tivo Beacon, not MS/Apple's Bonjour.

Gerry-

Last edited by turbo327 : 12-13-2010 at 12:00 PM.
turbo327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 05:54 PM   #80
kwiebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilott View Post
I recently ran into this problem as well. As a last attempt before going into the registry I tried using a symbolic link to my network share and that did work. This is only an option with vista and later (I think, never used vista and I am using win 7).

mklink /D C:\video \\NAS\video

A bit of strangeness: I had to ALSO have a mapped share with saved credentials to get it to work (I have \\NAS\video mapped to V: with username and password saved). There might be a better way to handle the credentials, but that worked.
This worked great for me (Win 7). Thanks for the tip.
kwiebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 12:12 AM   #81
Neilwltr

Hello,

There has been alot of discussion on this and I finally was able to find a very simple way to do it without writing code or going into the registry of the PC

Get on any computer that you have connected to your network and to the NAS you want to use.

go to python.org go on the left to "releasses"
click on version 2.6.6
then under downloads look for "Windows x86 MSI Installer (2.6.6) (sig)"
Download it to your PC and run it from the zipped file

Then download/run
PYTIVO at; pytivo.sourceforge.net/forum/updated-windows-installer-2009-03-21-t512.html#3957
You are looking for thE BELOW file on the above page, it is almost halfway down the page;
"pyTivo-wmcbrine-2009.03.19-RC1.zip"

Note: you must have Python on your before pytivo

HERE IS THE MAIN POINT, WHEN YOU ARE RUNNING THE PYTIVO FILE, IT WILL ASK YOU WHERE THE SOURCE DESTINATION FILE IS
This is the file on your NAS where you have you movies, recordings etc...choose that file on the setup up pytivo.

Once you have done that, turn on your TV and Tivo and you will see an additional folder in the "Now Playing List" that contains the movies etc of your NAS
FYI - If you have more than one Tivo connected to the network and NAS all of them will show this new folder!
Easy as punch! Enjoy...
Neilwltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:33 PM   #82
bfaz18

This method requires no additional software or registry modifications:

My documents directory now has an entry
<SYMLINKD> GoFlexTivo [\\GOFLEX_HOME\GoFlex Home Public\TIVO]

which I created with the following command line command:
mklink /D GoFlexTivo "\\GOFLEX_HOME\GoFlex Home Public\TIVO"
to which the system responded with:
symbolic link created for GoFlexTivo <<===>> \\GOFLEX_HOME\GoFlex Home Public\TIVO

I was then able to change preferences for the directory in Tivo Desktop for My Tivo Recordings to:

c:\users\username\Documents\GoFlexTivo
which was accepted without a hitch.

Interestingly, after it was accepted, Tivo Desktop then showed the directory as:
\\GOFLEX_HOME\GoFlex Home Public\TIVO

which it would NOT take if entered natively.
bfaz18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 02:06 AM   #83
apexadam
Tivo Late Bloomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfaz18 View Post
This method requires no additional software or registry modifications:

My documents directory now has an entry
<SYMLINKD> GoFlexTivo [\\GOFLEX_HOME\GoFlex Home Public\TIVO]

which I created with the following command line command:
mklink /D GoFlexTivo "\\GOFLEX_HOME\GoFlex Home Public\TIVO"
to which the system responded with:
symbolic link created for GoFlexTivo <<===>> \\GOFLEX_HOME\GoFlex Home Public\TIVO

I was then able to change preferences for the directory in Tivo Desktop for My Tivo Recordings to:

c:\users\username\Documents\GoFlexTivo
which was accepted without a hitch.

Interestingly, after it was accepted, Tivo Desktop then showed the directory as:
\\GOFLEX_HOME\GoFlex Home Public\TIVO

which it would NOT take if entered natively.
What is mklink command? What is /[letter]? What is "GoFlexTivo"?
The rest of the command, namely the destination location NAS device I get but the prelim information above isn't working for me. I tried,
mklink /T GoFlexTivo "\\MYBOOKLIVE\Public\Vids\TIVO ... the NAS folder location.

Advise?
Adam

apexadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:29 AM   #84
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexadam View Post
What is mklink command? What is /[letter]? What is "GoFlexTivo"?
The rest of the command, namely the destination location NAS device I get but the prelim information above isn't working for me. I tried,
mklink /T GoFlexTivo "\\MYBOOKLIVE\Public\Vids\TIVO ... the NAS folder location.

Advise?
Adam
MKLINK is a command-line utility that creates a symbolic link. Open up a command prompt, change the curent directory to the location that Desktop is using like "C:\Users\Adam\Documents\My TiVo Recordings", and run it from there.

/D (not /T as you posted) tells it to create a directory link, not a file link.

The first parameter after /D is the name you want to assign to the link. It can be anything you want like Recordings, MyNas etc. It doesn't have to be GoFlexTivo.

If you just run MKLINK /? it will list the syntax and options.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:54 AM   #85
Alf Oote

Alf Oote

I just tried this procedure - successfully - to setup a link for transferring Tivo files using my Tivo Desktop to my Seagate GoFlex_Home NAS (Network Attached Storage) device. With hopes of being more succinct (clear) in the description of the procedure, I leave this post ...

SETUP PROCEDURE FOR TRANSFERING TIVO FILES DIRECTLY TO A SEAGATE GOFLEX_HOME

Use the Following Procedure is a specific example of how to setup a "Folder
Link" to transfer Tivo files using Tivo Desktop to a Seagate GoFlex_Home
NAS (Network Attached Storage) storage device. The link is from the "My
Tivo Recordings" folder to a "TivoTransfers" folder in the "GoFlex_Home
Personal" drive which Seagate designates the (Z drive.

1.) Create a "TivoTransfers" folder in the root of the GoFlex_Home (Z drive
(the personal drive referenced by the name "GoFlex Home Personal").

2.) Open a command prompt window running in administrator mode.

3.) Navigate to the TiVo folder using the following command line:

cd \users\username\Documents\My Tivo Recordings

4.) To create and store your link in your "My Tivo Recordings" folder, enter
the following command line. (The "Link To" location in the example is
the"personal" folder in the GoFlex. (To confirm your own GoFlex folder
name click on the "Folder View" icon in the Seagate Deskboard.)

mklink /D Tivo2GoFlex "\\GOFLEX_HOME\GoFlex Home
Personal\TivoTransfers"

If done correctly a confirmation line in the command prompt will read ...

symbolic link created for Tivo2GoFlex <<===>>
\\GOFLEX_HOME\GoFlex Home Personal\TivoTransfers

and you should see a "Tivo2GoFlex" link in your "My Tivo Recordings"
folder.

5.) Start Tivo Desktop and change the default storage directory by
clicking on the above link.

I hope somebody finds this useful.
Alf Oote is offline   Reply With Quote