TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-05-2010, 12:21 PM   #6661
harry99
dls956

Smile Upgrade of 2nd HD in 25 Minutes

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry99 View Post
Just a note on upgrading my Tivo HD. Before finally discovering that my pixellation/freezing problems were solved by removing the My DVR Expander, I purchased a Premiere upgrade. I am having rebooting problems with the Premiere, but that is a different story.

I did successfully install a 1TB Hitachi Deskstar 31000 this morning, using the great instructions in the upgrade forum. I bought the drive (mfg. date was 09/2009) from Amazon (sent from CompUSA) for $69.99 plus $5.39 shipping. I also ordered a Stanley Torx set and Sabrent USB to SATA/IDE adapter ($10.68 and $19.99 from Amazon). Used WinMFS Beta 9.3 to backup and restore. I had removed all recordings, favorites, etc. Took just under 7 minutes to backup, and 2 min. 20 sec. to restore. Did supersize, downloaded Hddscan and ran AAM. Total time for all that including downloading, registering, etc. was under an hour. Only issue I had was that I didn't attach power to the drive the first time - in the WinMFS pictures, it tells you what adapter to use for Tivo HD - only shows the adapter, not the power - obviously someone who knows more would not have made that mistake.

Anyway, it all worked great, and I am ordering another Hitachi drive for my other Tivo HD.

Now, on to getting my Premiere to work.

Thanks for all your help.
SInce the upgrade of my first Tivo HD went so easil, I ordered another Hitachi Deskstar 31000 for my second Tivo HD - from PCBAY.Com through Amazon - a few $ less than the one from CompUSA (but with sales tax) - total with shipping was $72.79. Came in the same Hitachi box. Now that I have done one upgrade, timed this one - total time was just under 25 minutes - would have been faster but when I tried to run AAM from Hddscan, the AAM function was grayed out - turns out that the Hitachi drive shows up as the Cinemastar 1TB part instead. Since that is also supported, I decided to go ahead and use it. Sort of strange that Hitachi packaged the wrong part number inside the box - serial number was correct on the outside.

Hooked up the drive next to the other upgraded HD, and was surprised that the new drive is quite a bit noisier than the Deskstar after AAM - the chart has them at the same level of 7. Rather than returnthe drive and do it all over again, guess I'll move some recordings/favorites and put the quieter one in the bedroom and the noisier one in the living room.

All in all, nice to have two new Tivo HDs - I doubt I'll run out of space for awhile. Next step is to go ahead and return my Premiere - no need for it now. My old Series 2 is still running great after 7 1/2 years - maybe when that one goes I'll see what new Tivo is available.

Again, thanks for the great instructions and support.
harry99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 02:45 AM   #6662
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxweltd View Post
Oh happy days! Let me tell you my story (and big thanks to this board!): My Series 3 Tivo Hard Drive died. I bought a WD10EVDS at Fry's last night (10/04/2010). I used Instantcake to load new Series 3 image to my new drive. I reattached to my Tivo, booted, and the Tivo was stuck on "Welcome, powering up". I read this thread to look for other problems. I skipped by wdidle3 because it mentioned the issue was resolved in newer WD drives. Then I read your post, and gave wdidle3 a try. Reimaged drive with series 3 software from instantcake, rebooted Tivo, and it works!

THANKS TIVO COMMUNITY!!!

SO if any of you have the same issue, it is confirmed you need to use wdidle3 on your drive prior to loading the Series 3 image.
Welcome to the forum...and nice work! FWIW, wdidle3.exe can be run at any time, prior to imaging the drive or afterward. Since it's a firmware adjustment it doesn't affect the data. The link for wdidle3 is in the first post of this sticky.

Did you happen to notice the manufacture date of your new hard drive?

Enjoy!

Last edited by richsadams : 10-06-2010 at 02:50 AM.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 01:06 PM   #6663
wisny

When installing the WD DVR Expander, can you replace the supplied eSATA cable with a longer eSATA cable? Is there anything to look for in a replacement cable, if you can?
wisny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 01:11 PM   #6664
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisny View Post
When installing the WD DVR Expander, can you replace the supplied eSATA cable with a longer eSATA cable? Is there anything to look for in a replacement cable, if you can?
Sure. Per the FAQ the recommended SIIG Serial ATA external cable is less than $10.

http://www.provantage.com/siig-cb-sa...1~7SISE00F.htm

Click on the "variants" tab if you need a longer cable.
Old 10-07-2010, 01:16 PM   #6665
wisny

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Sure. Per the FAQ the recommended SIIG Serial ATA external cable is less than $10.

http://www.provantage.com/siig-cb-sa...1~7SISE00F.htm

Click on the "variants" tab if you need a longer cable.

ty, rich

Sorry, I didn't see the place in the FAQ where cables were discussed. Can you point me to it, or can you tell me if I can use a longer cable than the one you linked to? I think that one is about the same length as the supplied one, I need one just a bit longer, b/c my TiVo is down below my TV, but the drive will have to be up above the TV, because there isn't space in the same shelf as the TiVo is located.

eta: Wait, I see there is a 2m version. Is this one okay?
http://www.provantage.com/siig-cb-sa...1~7SISE00H.htm

Is either this Staples or StarTech product comparable?

http://www.staples.com/Staples-eSATA...=StaplesSearch

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=3887624

Last edited by wisny : 10-07-2010 at 01:25 PM.
Old 10-07-2010, 01:34 PM   #6666
wisny

Quote:
ty, rich

Sorry, I didn't see the place in the FAQ where cables were discussed. Can you point me to it, or can you tell me if I can use a longer cable than the one you linked to? I think that one is about the same length as the supplied one, I need one just a bit longer, b/c my TiVo is down below my TV, but the drive will have to be up above the TV, because there isn't space in the same shelf as the TiVo is located.

eta: Wait, I see there is a 2m version. Is this one okay?
http://www.provantage.com/siig-cb-sa...1~7SISE00H.htm

Is either this Staples or StarTech product comparable?

http://www.staples.com/Staples-eSATA...=StaplesSearch

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=3887624

Actually, it does fit horizontally on top of the TiVo, next to the tuning adapter. I'd read that more ventilation is better tho, so I was thinking it should be on top of the entertainment center. Do you think it'd be okay on top of the TiVo, next to the tuning adapter, in an open-faced shelf under the TV? Or should I get the longer cable and put the MyBook up on top of the entertainment center?

(I overlooked your earlier response on clicking on variants for the longer cable. TY!)
Old 10-07-2010, 01:46 PM   #6667
richsadams

Quote:
Actually, it does fit horizontally on top of the TiVo, next to the tuning adapter. I'd read that more ventilation is better tho, so I was thinking it should be on top of the entertainment center. Do you think it'd be okay on top of the TiVo, next to the tuning adapter, in an open-faced shelf under the TV? Or should I get the longer cable and put the MyBook up on top of the entertainment center?

(I overlooked your earlier response on clicking on variants for the longer cable. TY!)
The SIIG cable is recommended in several places in the FAQ, specifically Section IV, #26. I'd stick with the recommended cables…others aren't tested or proven. The issue is usually with the connectors. There are no (serious at least) standards and some companies scrimp on the length of the connector which can cause problems if the cable is bumped, etc. All of the recommended cables have good connectors that offer a snug fit. Although WD had some serious issues with the stock eSATA cables that came with their 500GB Expanders a few years ago, the more recent cables they supply seem to work fine.

You just want some decent ventilation around the eSATA drive as it's running 24/7 and heat can be the enemy. As long as it's sitting upright (vertical) in an open-faced shelf as you describe it s/b fine. No need to go to any extraordinary lengths.

Last edited by richsadams : 10-07-2010 at 01:51 PM.
Old 10-07-2010, 04:20 PM   #6668
wisny

Quote:
The SIIG cable is recommended in several places in the FAQ, specifically Section IV, #26. I'd stick with the recommended cables…others aren't tested or proven. The issue is usually with the connectors. There are no (serious at least) standards and some companies scrimp on the length of the connector which can cause problems if the cable is bumped, etc. All of the recommended cables have good connectors that offer a snug fit. Although WD had some serious issues with the stock eSATA cables that came with their 500GB Expanders a few years ago, the more recent cables they supply seem to work fine.

You just want some decent ventilation around the eSATA drive as it's running 24/7 and heat can be the enemy. As long as it's sitting upright (vertical) in an open-faced shelf as you describe it s/b fine. No need to go to any extraordinary lengths.

lol re: pun
Thx very much, appreciate the info!
Old 10-07-2010, 04:53 PM   #6669
wisny

Heya again,

So, I picked up the APC UPS that Robb recommended, and I put the TiVo on standby, unplugged the TiVo, tuner, and adapter. Then I attached the included eSATA cable to the Expander, then to the TiVo. Then I plugged in the Expander, the adapter, the tuner, then the TiVo.

TiVo turned on, but it's hung up on the 'powering up' screen. I waited a half hour, then unplugged everything (TiVo first), checked to make sure all the cables were seated, then replugged everything back in. I'm hung up on the powering up screen again (going on 15 mins now, waited a half hour the first time).

How long should it take before the TiVo powers up? Is something wrong, or perhaps did I just not wait long enough?

- wis
Old 10-07-2010, 05:27 PM   #6670
richsadams

Quote:
Heya again,

So, I picked up the APC UPS that Robb recommended, and I put the TiVo on standby, unplugged the TiVo, tuner, and adapter. Then I attached the included eSATA cable to the Expander, then to the TiVo. Then I plugged in the Expander, the adapter, the tuner, then the TiVo.

TiVo turned on, but it's hung up on the 'powering up' screen. I waited a half hour, then unplugged everything (TiVo first), checked to make sure all the cables were seated, then replugged everything back in. I'm hung up on the powering up screen again (going on 15 mins now, waited a half hour the first time).

How long should it take before the TiVo powers up? Is something wrong, or perhaps did I just not wait long enough?

- wis
Something's wrong. TiVo won't take much if any longer to boot up with the Expander than without it.

It sounds like you're following the steps correctly. Try doing this…unplug TiVo (no need to put it into Standby, etc.) and the Expander (disconnect the eSATA cable and the adapter…everything but your TV). Plug TiVo directly into a wall outlet w/o the Expander and see if it boots up normally.

If it boots up okay, unplug it again. Plug the Expander into a wall outlet and listen to see if the drive is spinning up. If so let it spin for 15 seconds or so to come up to speed. Take the eSATA cable and reverse the ends you were using and connect it to TiVo. Plug TiVo back in, again to a wall outlet and see if things are good. It should boot up to a screen that will allow you to add the Expander.

If it hangs again on the "Welcome! Powering up…" screen it means that the motherboard cannot communicate with the hard drive…in this case the Expander. If that's the case there's an issue with the Expander or perhaps the cable.

If that all works unplug TiVo, then the Expander and try it again with the adapter and UPS (Expander first, wait 10 - 15 seconds) and then TiVo. If it hangs again there's an issue with the UPS (although I've no idea what it might be other than a bad battery or something) or the adapter, but again, not sure what it might be.

Just for the heck of it, can you post a link to the exact Expander you're using?

Hope that helps and let us know how it goes.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:46 PM   #6671
wisny

Quote:
Something's wrong. TiVo won't take much if any longer to boot up with the Expander than without it.

It sounds like you're following the steps correctly. Try doing this…unplug TiVo (no need to put it into Standby, etc.) and the Expander (disconnect the eSATA cable and the adapter…everything but your TV). Plug TiVo directly into a wall outlet w/o the Expander and see if it boots up normally.

If it boots up okay, unplug it again. Plug the Expander into a wall outlet and listen to see if the drive is spinning up. If so let it spin for 15 seconds or so to come up to speed. Take the eSATA cable and reverse the ends you were using and connect it to TiVo. Plug TiVo back in, again to a wall outlet and see if things are good. It should boot up to a screen that will allow you to add the Expander.

If it hangs again on the "Welcome! Powering up…" screen it means that the motherboard cannot communicate with the hard drive…in this case the Expander. If that's the case there's an issue with the Expander or perhaps the cable.

If that all works unplug TiVo, then the Expander and try it again with the adapter and UPS (Expander first, wait 10 - 15 seconds) and then TiVo. If it hangs again there's an issue with the UPS (although I've no idea what it might be other than a bad battery or something) or the adapter, but again, not sure what it might be.

Just for the heck of it, can you post a link to the exact Expander you're using?

Hope that helps and let us know how it goes.

Hey Rich,

Sorry, I didn't see this earlier. I was on the phone with TiVo and Western Digital . I did try reversing the sata cable my second go-around, but I didn't try plugging it directly into the wall outlet (didn't even think of that! d'oh!). I still ended up with the 'powering up' screen hanging.

One other thing the TiVo guy had me try, after my two attempts on my own ended up with the 'powering up' screen hanging, was to boot up the TiVo without the expander attached, then attach the esata cable to the expander and then to the tivo, and then plug in the expander to the TiVo after it was all booted up. Didn't seem right to me , but I did it anyway. When I went to the settings-something-external storage, the TiVo said there was no external storage attached. Then the TiVo guy had me just unplug the TiVo, wait 30 seconds, and try again. Got the 'powering up' screen hanging again.

This is the Expander:
http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digita...6505395&sr=8-2

It's the newest version of the WD MyBook 1T expander.

The TiVo is up and running right now, but not with the expander. When the expander was plugged in, I could feel the disk spinning, and the little pin-size white light was showing on the front, but I couldn't get past the hang-up screen. TiVo told me to call WD, and they told me to return it to Amazon. I requested the Amazon return, but didn't box it up yet. I will try it again tomorrow, taking the UPS out of the mix, as you suggested. Just to be clear, were you also saying take the wifi adapter and the tuning box out of the mix, as well?

I'll let you know what happens. Thankyou again for your help, I really appreciate it very much .

- wis

Last edited by wisny : 10-07-2010 at 10:57 PM.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:08 PM   #6672
richsadams

Quote:
I will try it again tomorrow, taking the UPS out of the mix, as you suggested. Just to be clear, were you also saying take the wifi adapter and the tuning box out of the mix, as well?
I don't think the UPS or adapters actually have anything to do with the issue, but having a "clean" environment removes those as possibilities.

Seems to me that you may just have gotten a non-op Expander…unfortunate luck of the draw. I wouldn't waste any time with WD. Based on numerous posts here and elsewhere they are less than helpful. Amazon's very good about returns so you shouldn't have any issues getting another one.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:48 AM   #6673
Robbdoe1
Tivo Obsessed

Quote:
I don't think the UPS or adapters actually have anything to do with the issue, but having a "clean" environment removes those as possibilities.

Seems to me that you may just have gotten a non-op Expander…unfortunate luck of the draw. I wouldn't waste any time with WD. Based on numerous posts here and elsewhere they are less than helpful. Amazon's very good about returns so you shouldn't have any issues getting another one.
Rich,
It almost sounds like the expander is hanging on Intellipark? Just a thought.

I would exchange it anyway.

Robb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Robbdoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 10:16 AM   #6674
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbdoe1 View Post
Rich,

Robb
That's a thought, but drive issues like that have never impacted eSATA drives, only internal. Plus there are plenty already in use (based on "testimonials" here and on Amazon) so it's more likely that it's just a bad drive, bad cable, etc. IMHO.
Old 10-08-2010, 03:33 PM   #6675
cliffdwelling

I expanded my Tivo with a 1tb a few months ago and have had no problems until today. It seems now that my Tivo wants to reboot more often now out of the blue. It will just go off and then begin to power up. It just finished powering up twice in less than 20 minutes, but is working fine right now. It did this a couple of days ago and now today. it has never acted this way before and wondering if I should be concerned or is there anything I might be able to check.
cliffdwelling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 07:49 PM   #6676
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffdwelling View Post
I expanded my Tivo with a 1tb a few months ago and have had no problems until today. It seems now that my Tivo wants to reboot more often now out of the blue. It will just go off and then begin to power up. It just finished powering up twice in less than 20 minutes, but is working fine right now. It did this a couple of days ago and now today. it has never acted this way before and wondering if I should be concerned or is there anything I might be able to check.
Sorry to hear about your TiVo misbehaving. Take a look at this post and see if anything fits…

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...44#post7553444
Old 10-08-2010, 09:08 PM   #6677
cliffdwelling

Quote:
Sorry to hear about your TiVo misbehaving. Take a look at this post and see if anything fits…

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...44#post7553444
Thanks, as I read through that thread, my issues are a little different.
This is an internal upgrade wd1tb green drive. After my post earlier, I have not had any rebooting issuse and the Tivo is working OK. As I said, this just started to happen and the Tivo does seem to freeze up when some commands are initiated. . I think it might be the drive,keep my fingers crossed ,but it would still be in warranty. I think I remember my cable signal strength being 100 ,could this be a problem?
Old 10-08-2010, 09:13 PM   #6678
cliffdwelling

What is QuickStart 54?
Old 10-08-2010, 09:22 PM   #6679
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
What is QuickStart 54?
That's 'Kickstart' 54.

Try searching here in this thread.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 12:04 AM   #6680
richsadams

Quote:
What is QuickStart 54?
TiVo has several built in diagnostic and repair tools called "Kickstarts". KS54 actually runs a common hard drive predictive diagnostic called SMART. It's not fool proof but it can often give you an idea if there are or are about to be problems with a hard drive. Here's more…

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...23&postcount=2
Old 10-11-2010, 12:46 PM   #6681
bigguy126

Just a FYI for everyone that is going to expand their hard drives. I recently bought :

Hitachi Deskstar (OEM) [3.5" 1TB / 7200RPM] 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Hard Drive [MODEL# 0F10383]

and installed it no problem but.... It is very loud. I tried everything in the FAQ including the HDDscan and the Hitachi tool. I noticed that Hitachi removed the AAM from the current version so I used the older. Anyway, it appears that this you cannot change the AAM on this drive. I got the message that the firmware does not support it. So if sound is a concern for you do NOT get this drive. I have it in a bedroom and it is really loud.

If anyone has any ideas on other ways to change the AAM, let me know.
bigguy126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 01:02 PM   #6682
richsadams

Thanks for the info. As you found out the hard way, not all Hitachi Deskstar hard drives are created equal. The standard Deskstar 7K1000 series acoustics average 2.9bels to 3.2bels (and can be higher). By A/V standards that is very loud. The Hitachi drive most folks are using for their Tivo's, the Deskstar 7K1000.C HD31000 IDK/7K, is considerably quieter at an average of 2.4bels to 2.5bels.

To reduce the AAM (auto acoustic management) to 128 HDDScan should work (if you're logged on as administrator) but if not you could try the Hitachi Feature Tool. Be sure to use v2.11.

Here are links to the full/boxed and OEM drives:

Amazon Box:

http://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-Deskst.../ref=pd_cp_e_0

Amazon OEM:

http://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-Deskst.../dp/B0035WQBOY

More info and links to the tools can be found on the Drive Expansion and Drive Upgrade FAQ sticky thread. Have a look at Section IV, #32 in particular:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=370784

Perhaps you can return your drive?
Old 10-13-2010, 04:22 PM   #6683
wisny

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbdoe1 View Post
Rich,

Robb
Quote:
That's a thought, but drive issues like that have never impacted eSATA drives, only internal. Plus there are plenty already in use (based on "testimonials" here and on Amazon) so it's more likely that it's just a bad drive, bad cable, etc. IMHO.

I now have a WD Expander attached and functional . 2T of space
(I can't believe how fast I filled up that first T, but that's another story ).

So, I was going to try the 'clean environment' install with the first drive, but there wasn't a convenient 'no recordings scheduled' spot the next day, so I just said fugghedabowdit and boxed it and sent it back to Amazon. Weird side note, Amazon was out of stock, and didn't expect to be back in stock for another 1-2 mos . Anyway, I just returned for a refund, rather than replacement, and had, um, I think Beach Camera, or Beach Audio, or something like that, send it. Same price etc.

New drive arrived yesterday, I installed it this am. It wasn't without a hitch tho. First time through, I got to the 'Powering Up', then 'Just a few more minutes'. Everything looked like it was going fine, so I went to get coffee and came back, and the TiVo was powered off. No lights, no nothing.

Okay, so I make sure everybody's solidly plugged in, TiVo comes back on, goes through it's thing, all seems great. It completely booted up, recognized that there was a new drive attached, requested to format it to work with TiVo, I say sure - thumb thumb thumb enter. It does its thing .... then goes to gray screen.

*scratched head*

Unplugged the TiVo power from the back of the unit, plugged it back in after 15 seconds or so, it powered up, and that was it. All was finally fine.

Are these things usually so finicky?

I'm so pleased with all the new space though . Acres of space !!!
Old 10-13-2010, 11:30 PM   #6684
richsadams

Congrats on all of that extra "real estate"! Although it never happened to me, I've seen that gray screen thing reported clear back to the original Series3 eSATA hack several years ago...so although annoying I guess I wouldn't worry about it.

Enjoy!
Old 10-14-2010, 09:23 AM   #6685
kenstir

Correction/update re: WD Green drives

This FAQ was so helpful I felt I had to contribute. Everything seemed right on the money about upgrading my Tivo HD with the WD10EVDS drive except:

1. The supplied ISO containing WDIDLE3 did not boot on my computer. I got WDIDLE directly from WD (google "wdidle3") and built my own ISO from the Ultimate Boot CD following the guide at (google "Fix TLER setting on WD Desktop") and replacing WDTLER with WDIDLE3.

2. "WDIDLE3 /D" disables intellipark altogether.

3. Be patient during a soft reboot. After all this work my Tivo went to static for 100 seconds before displaying any video, and I thought it hung. While I was pouting the Tivo came up fine.

Thanks and regards,
Kenstir
kenstir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 12:01 PM   #6686
wisny

Quote:
Congrats on all of that extra "real estate"! Although it never happened to me, I've seen that gray screen thing reported clear back to the original Series3 eSATA hack several years ago...so although annoying I guess I wouldn't worry about it.

Enjoy!
I will ! tyvm, and ty again! vm for your help steering me through it. VERY much appreciated
Old 10-14-2010, 09:26 PM   #6687
richsadams

Quote:
I will ! tyvm, and ty again! vm for your help steering me through it. VERY much appreciated
My pleasure!
Old 10-15-2010, 12:58 PM   #6688
valkyriesound

Wow..this is a long thread. You guys are great!

Quick questions-
I'm having a problem with my Tivo HD recording partial recordings-randomly
The Tivo during live tv also glitches and freezes on channels
The Tivo will still take commands- when I change channels and go back the program is fine again

Is this a symptom of a failing HD?
I have the original Tivo HD and a WD fully supported expander.

I can't tell which one might be failing... so I:
1. Will get stuck replacing both, yes?
2. Will loose all my recordings, correct?
3. Can I replace the internal Tivo drive a use the official expander? (assuming the problem is internal) or would I have to use something else because I loose plug and play when the internal drive is replaced? I'm confused on this point.
4. Can I install anything larger than 1tb internally?

Thanks!
valkyriesound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 04:48 PM   #6689
valkyriesound

Cool

OK.. found most of my questions...

But I'm still unclear:
1. Can I use my original expander in a replacement of the internal drive situation with PLUG and Play working?
2. Can I use WINMFS to copy the recordings off of my INTERNAL and EXTERNAL Expander (one at a time) to preserve all my recordings? I doubt there is much on the internal drive and most recordings are probably span BOTH drives currently. Saving my recordings would be great.

Thanks for your help.
valkyriesound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 06:04 PM   #6690
A J Ricaud

It appears I have a failing H.D. on a S3. It re-booted twice while my wife was watching a recording. I ran KS54--failed the extended SMART test with an error 7.

I also ran the tests on hda, which passed, and hdb and hdc. It said hdb could not be accessed or didn't exist and no hdc. Can someone fill me in on what these mean?

The S3 has an external drive attached. I suppose that you have to run the manufacturer's diagnostics to see if that is the culprit, right?
A J Ricaud is offline   Reply With Quote