TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-03-2010, 12:58 PM   #871
kturcotte

Quote:
Originally Posted by comer View Post
hotoru did exactly what you ask just recently and described it. Check out this post.
All right, I *THINK* I've got it lol Does it matter WHICH version of DOS I download?
kturcotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 01:46 PM   #872
akaussie

My Premiere was setup yesterday with a Cablecard thanks to Comcast, which thankfully went off without a hitch.
I also received my WD20EARS from Amazon with a manufacture date of Sept 14, 2010. I don't have access to a PC, so I can't disable the Intellipark, but hopefully with the newly manufactured drive it won't be an issue.
I am planning on doing the upgrade in the next few days from my iMac and will post the results.
akaussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 01:50 PM   #873
hotoru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kturcotte View Post
All right, I *THINK* I've got it lol Does it matter WHICH version of DOS I download?
I believe you would be ok with most later versions. I used a Win ME boot disk
hotoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 01:58 PM   #874
hotoru

WDIdle3 Woes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagger View Post
Wow, that sucked... So in order to use the wdidle3 tool to turn off the intellipark on my 20EARS I had to boot my main computer with a DOS disc with the tool on it. The problem was, my A7N8X-Deluxe 2.0 board needed a hacked bios .....
Uggh, what a mess. Sounds similar (but worse) than my woes trying to run the WDidle3. I think the battery on the MOBO was dead. I kept getting a CMOS checksum error. I would have to re configure the bios and boot order every time I shut off to reboot as would forget all the changes and send the date back to Jan 2000 :-o. Was able to get to boot to an old emergency Win 98 boot floppy but would hang when initializing the SATA bus when WD20EARS was attached. What I get for trying to do update with a 6 year old box ;-) In the end, I talked a friend to letting me use his newer build. Once I was able to disable the IDLE timer rest was a piece of cake (Thanks to Comer's ISO file).

Last edited by hotoru : 10-03-2010 at 02:00 PM. Reason: spelling
hotoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 02:41 PM   #875
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotoru View Post
I used a Win ME boot disk
]]] Shudder! [[[
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 03:45 PM   #876
donnoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
]]] Shudder! [[[
I'd much rather deal with windows ME than their current abortion. I can't turn a Windows PC on without it dominating my computer for the first few minutes looking for updates.
I just bought a new laptop and I would have bought an Apple had it not been for the 100% price premium to buy an Apple laptop over a Windows PC.
donnoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 06:47 PM   #877
turbobozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnoh View Post
I'd much rather deal with windows ME than their current abortion. I can't turn a Windows PC on without it dominating my computer for the first few minutes looking for updates.
I just bought a new laptop and I would have bought an Apple had it not been for the 100% price premium to buy an Apple laptop over a Windows PC.
Borrowing an internet meme...
UR DOIN IT WRONG (in a helpful/sarcastic way)
I've setup two very, very low end laptops with Win7 in the past year, and neither is dominated by "updates" after boot up.
Maybe get use something like CCleaner and get rid of all the BS crapware and the 3rd party startup programs that check for updates.

edit: meant to be helpful, not a jackss
turbobozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 07:04 PM   #878
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnoh View Post
Really…ME is better than W7? I'd heard Vista was a ME reincarnation, but I thought W7 was doing pretty good, no? I've used it and thought it was quite a step forward…certainly not perfect but as good as XP at least.

I do know what you mean about updates and the like though…I still maintain our church's computers and my wife's HP laptop that she has to use for work. I used to build PC's in fact but just came to hate all of the problems. Turn the computer on and walk away for a while so it can do its thing. What a nightmare.

I was also of the same opinion about Apple until I had had enough of the Windows OS and all of the associated problems and costs to get things working and keep them going. I used Linux for a while but finally switched to Apple and have never ever once looked back. The "price premium" is such a myth it's not funny. I used to love Windows (remember how great Windows 3.1 was?) Our household has been Windows free for a several years now and we couldn't be happier. The whole Apple Vs Windows thing is OT here, but any time you want to PM me I can show you how much money and time you can actually save by switching to a Mac…real dollars, real time. Really.

Anyway, I'm very happy that you were able to get your Premiere upgrade sorted out…I'll be following along with your and Comer's valuable step-by-step walk through to upgrade our PXL soon!
Old 10-03-2010, 07:17 PM   #879
comer

Quote:
Anyway, I'm very happy that you were able to get your Premiere upgrade sorted out…I'll be following along with your and Comer's valuable step-by-step walk through to upgrade our PXL soon!
On that subject - when doing your upgrade, could you run "mfslayout" and post the result, please? I am very curious how PXL disk is structured

The old command-line guide is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
comer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 07:57 PM   #880
richsadams

Quote:
On that subject - when doing your upgrade, could you run "mfslayout" and post the result, please? I am very curious how PXL disk is structured
Will do!
Old 10-03-2010, 08:22 PM   #881
willv28

Any problems I've had with Windows 7 have nothing to do with reliability or stability, which were the problems with ME and Vista. We're beginning to roll Windows 7 out at work. No issues with it at all. I think Microsoft is finally starting to learn their lesson.
willv28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 03:28 PM   #882
musictoo

Used JMFS to add a 2TB WD to my Premier Sunday. Ridiculously easy thanks to all the hard work done here. Simply amazing. Thanks to all.
musictoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 05:28 PM   #883
donnoh

I have to commend Comer on his herculean efforts to give Premiere owners an upgrade path!
This forum and people like him are what I like so much about Tivos.
donnoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 07:08 PM   #884
dshlyam

What are the chances to get the solution for additional external 2tb upgrade for a total of 4tb?

Interestingly enough both Weaknees and DvrDude are not selling their 4tb upgrades anymore... DvrDude says they have ran out of enclosures (!), while Weaknees straightforwardly says that they are experiencing "technical difficulties" and are pulling 4tb kits until further notice.

Quite interesting indeed. Also means that there is no path for regular Joe to get Tivo with 4tb for now...
Old 10-04-2010, 07:35 PM   #885
comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshlyam View Post
What are the chances to get the solution for additional external 2tb upgrade for a total of 4tb?

Interestingly enough both Weaknees and DvrDude are not selling their 4tb upgrades anymore... DvrDude says they have ran out of enclosures (!), while Weaknees straightforwardly says that they are experiencing "technical difficulties" and are pulling 4tb kits until further notice.

Quite interesting indeed. Also means that there is no path for regular Joe to get Tivo with 4tb for now...
Interesting indeed I was a few days from releasing a tool to add an external storage. But now I think I need to test more or wait for 14.6 upgrade... may be that's the reason? Dvr_dude is lurking here in the forums, may be he can shed some light?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:48 PM   #886
dshlyam

Quote:
I was a few days from releasing a tool to add an external storage.
Wow, this is good news. Can you give us some details on this? I.e. will the new method allow to add storage to previously expanded system with minimal effort and while preserving settings and recordings or will it require going back to the virgin drive or copying full 2tb worth of data?

I was about to upgrade my 7 Tivos (S3 and HD, all 2tb) to Premier, but would rather wait if it's a major pain to easily expand to 4tb later.

Also, have you (or anyone else willing to share) figured out how to SuperSize Premier yet to add that extra space? I will try to supersize the virgin drive with Spike's tools when my shipment of Premiers arrives, but I'm not holding too much hope it'll work...
Old 10-04-2010, 11:45 PM   #887
akaussie

Quote:
Originally Posted by akaussie View Post
My Premiere was setup yesterday with a Cablecard thanks to Comcast, which thankfully went off without a hitch.
I also received my WD20EARS from Amazon with a manufacture date of Sept 14, 2010. I don't have access to a PC, so I can't disable the Intellipark, but hopefully with the newly manufactured drive it won't be an issue.
I am planning on doing the upgrade in the next few days from my iMac and will post the results.
I am now the owner of a 2 TB Tivo thanks to Comer and everyone else here who helped out with advice and suggestions.
I rebooted without issues, so it appears all is well.
Thanks again Comer!
akaussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 11:58 PM   #888
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by akaussie View Post
I am now the owner of a 2 TB Tivo thanks to Comer and everyone else here who helped out with advice and suggestions.
I rebooted without issues, so it appears all is well.
Thanks again Comer!
Excellent news and enjoy!
Old 10-05-2010, 08:32 AM   #889
dmk1974
DA BEARS!!!

Just curious...what hard drive make/model does the TiVo Premiere ship with? Thanks!

TiVo Premiere 4 w/Lifetime (318 hr)
TiVo Premiere 4 w/Lifetime (77 hr)
TiVo Mini w/Lifetime (x4)
TiVo Stream
dmk1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 09:13 AM   #890
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk1974 View Post
Just curious...what hard drive make/model does the TiVo Premiere ship with? Thanks!
TiVo Premiere: WD3200AVVS

TiVo Premiere XL: WD10EVVS

Last edited by richsadams : 10-06-2010 at 01:27 AM. Reason: Corrected mistake
Old 10-05-2010, 09:49 AM   #891
jterwelp

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk1974 View Post
Quote:
TiVo Premiere: WD320AVVS

TiVo Premiere XL: WD10EVVS
Actually, the model number of the Premiere drive is WD3200AVVS. You keep missing that extra zero, Rich! dmk1974: both drives are made by Western Digital.
jterwelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 12:02 PM   #892
dmk1974
DA BEARS!!!

Thank you! So, they are both "green" drives. I was curious of they were "blue" or "black". I have a 1 GB "black" in my TiVo HD which works great. But realistically then, for TiVo purposes, performance should be ok using any of those.

TiVo Premiere 4 w/Lifetime (318 hr)
TiVo Premiere 4 w/Lifetime (77 hr)
TiVo Mini w/Lifetime (x4)
TiVo Stream
dmk1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 12:08 PM   #893
aaronwt
HD Addict

Even a slow 4200rpm drive can handle the multiple low speed 19Mbs HD streams from TV broadcasts.

Even my slow ide drives back in 2001 had no issues with multiple HD recordings and HD playback concurrently when I used to use PCs for my HD recordings and HD watching.

Of course once the HDTiVos came out in 2004, using my HTPCs for HD recording was mostly a thing of the past.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 07:09 PM   #894
comer

Quote:
Wow, this is good news.
Judging by the number of responses - we are the only two who need this

Quote:
Can you give us some details on this? I.e. will the new method allow to add storage to previously expanded system with minimal effort and while preserving settings and recordings or will it require going back to the virgin drive or copying full 2tb worth of data?
Just like "bless" - everything is preserved.

Quote:
Also, have you (or anyone else willing to share) figured out how to SuperSize Premier yet to add that extra space? I will try to supersize the virgin drive with Spike's tools when my shipment of Premiers arrives, but I'm not holding too much hope it'll work...
No, I haven't. It's on my list though Honestly, I wouldn't do it just for myself, having practically unlimited 4T open wide for HD goodness I am looking into that bacause of the challenge and because for some reasons it's requested by many users
So far everything I have actually found (on the disk) points to 10G reserve for TivoClips - that's what WinMFS releases. And it's in bytes, not percentage. I don't get it - 10G is meager 2 hours of HD Either it used to be bigger or I still don't get something

Old 10-05-2010, 07:12 PM   #895
kturcotte

Do we really need more recording time? lol We're getting what now (With the 2TB) 290 HD hours? How many SD?
And would this still allow you to add one of Tivo's external drives? lol
Old 10-05-2010, 07:14 PM   #896
jmill

Quote:
Judging by the number of responses - we are the only two who need this

Just like "bless" - everything is preserved.

No, I haven't. It's on my list though Honestly, I wouldn't do it just for myself, having practically unlimited 4T open wide for HD goodness I am looking into that bacause of the challenge and because for some reasons it's requested by many users
So far everything I have actually found (on the disk) points to 10G reserve for TivoClips - that's what WinMFS releases. And it's in bytes, not percentage. I don't get it - 10G is meager 2 hours of HD Either it used to be bigger or I still don't get something
If you'll be able to figure out how to do "SuperSize", and on top of that add external storage, that's heaven. I mean we know it's possible, just need to figure out how...
jmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 07:15 PM   #897
kturcotte

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmill View Post
If you'll be able to figure out how to do "SuperSize", and on top of that add external storage, that's heaven. I mean we know it's possible, just need to figure out how...
Can the actual hard drive from the external kit be swapped out for a 2TB drive? 580 HD hours? lol
Old 10-05-2010, 07:18 PM   #898
jmill

Quote:
Originally Posted by kturcotte View Post
Can the actual hard drive from the external kit be swapped out for a 2TB drive? 580 HD hours? lol
This is some nonsense. Please try to stay on topic.
jmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 01:27 AM   #899
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by jterwelp View Post
Actually, the model number of the Premiere drive is WD3200AVVS. You keep missing that extra zero, Rich! dmk1974: both drives are made by Western Digital.
D'oh! Curse you copy and paste!

All better now.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:12 AM   #900
jterwelp

Quote:
Also, have you (or anyone else willing to share) figured out how to SuperSize Premier yet to add that extra space?
Quote:
I think you might be missing something. People who have bought 2TB upgrades from DVR_Dude or Weaknees are reporting ~318 HD hours. In fact, Weaknees' web site lists their 2TB Premiere upgrade at 317 HD hours here. That's 27-28 more HD hours than the JMFS tool provides!

Perhaps you could talk one of the DVR_Dude or Weaknees upgraders into capturing some information from their hard drive for you to review? I know a lot of people are interested in the SuperSize option because they are wary of the extra noise, heat, space, failure point, etc. involved in adding an external drive.
jterwelp is offline   Reply With Quote