TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-05-2010, 03:15 PM   #31
Stormspace
Electrocuted by TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I have a separate 1200VA UPS which I use to run my TV, HT system and various other switches/devices required to actually watch TV. I bought it mainly because my TV kind of freaks out when the power goes out suddenly, but it's nice to be able to continue watching TV for an extra 10-15 minutes when the power goes out. I also have one that runs all my internet equipment (i.e. cable modem, router, switches and wireless access point) so I can continue to surf the web when the power goes out too.

Dan
+1. My Plasma set does NOT like brownouts. Unfortunately I can't quite afford or justify a UPS that will power that bad boy. It's quite the space heater. My BIL had a plasma set that if turned on an off quickly would blow a fuse. 100.00 repair and 150.00 charge to come take it down off the wall to fix.
180hr S2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stormspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 03:29 PM   #32
Robbdoe1
Tivo Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTYoung1 View Post
The only reason to plug a TV into a UPS is if you have a rear projection DLP or LCD and you can let the fan run after you turn the TV off. If you plan on connecting a receiver to a UPS you'd better have a 1500VA unit or higher. Although I do not know why you'd want to connect one to a UPS. When the power goes out you generally turn everything else off to keep the UPS running as long as possible in case you are recording something.
Like I said, I use mine on the TV and Tivo because we have bad power glitches. The power went off a few weeks ago for maybe 2-5 seconds while I was watching TV. It did this 5 times or so in less then 1 hour. The first 3 of the 5 times were in less then 30 seconds. The TV never turned off and the Tivo never rebooted. I don't use mine to run the TV or Tivo for a prolonged time, just to prevent these power disruptions from screwing up my system. To each his own, I guess? I'll call FPL and let them know to call me next time before a car hits a pole so I can turn off my equipment.

Robb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Robbdoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 04:00 PM   #33
ghuido

Extension Cords

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post
As it is I have the TiVo/phone and network stuff on the 1000va Belkin UPS at the component rack and have some extension cords feeding out to the computers. . I'd like having one or two more UPSs and a few less long extension cords. I'll put one in the computer/office corner.
Are any extension cords allowed? Just wondering since it might be nicer to get longer extension power cable and put the UPS in a nicer out of the way spot.

Read somewhere were someone said From Wall to UPS it is a big NO NO on the extension cords. But what about from UPS to Equipment?

Thanks again for all the comments
ghuido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 05:53 PM   #34
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Re: using extention cords with UPS

I see no problem using a short (less than 10ft.) extention cord from wall outlet to UPS as long as it is heavy duty (#12 wire) so that it meets or exceeds the rating of the house wiring.

From UPS to device(s), again I see no problem using a short extention cord as long as it is rated to handle the current that the device(s) use.

This is coming strictly from an electrical point of view. YMMV.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 06:58 PM   #35
BulletToothTony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormspace View Post
+1. My Plasma set does NOT like brownouts. Unfortunately I can't quite afford or justify a UPS that will power that bad boy. It's quite the space heater. My BIL had a plasma set that if turned on an off quickly would blow a fuse. 100.00 repair and 150.00 charge to come take it down off the wall to fix.
That's why you need to have a good UPS that can do avr boost/drop. Otherwise you can become a victim to a brown out or a spike. Spend thousands on a home theater system, it has to have a good UPS.
BulletToothTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 07:01 AM   #36
wisny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbdoe1 View Post
I got this one for my THD:

http://www.officedepot.com/a/product...S-550-Battery/

Staples has it for $49 this week. I run my THD and my 32" Vizio LCD and I have my DVD player on it. I have not timed it yet but I pulled the plug the other day and it ran the TV and the Tivo for over a minute. I got it to correct the power glitches we have in my area.

Robb

Is $45 w/ free shipping from an Amazon seller a plausible deal on this model, or does it sounds sketchy? Also, is this one a good choice to plug the TiVo HD, cable box, and DVD Expander into?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...&condition=all

$45.00 + $0.00shipping New

Park Ave Enterprises Of New York Inc.
Seller Rating:99% positive over the past 12 months. (231 total ratings)
In Stock.
International & domestic shipping rates and return policy.
Brand New in Original Retail Packing. WE SHIP WORLDWIDE. Ships same or next day. You will receive a tracking number after item is shipped
wisny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 07:04 AM   #37
wisny

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletToothTony View Post
That's why you need to have a good UPS that can do avr boost/drop. Otherwise you can become a victim to a brown out or a spike. Spend thousands on a home theater system, it has to have a good UPS.

What is AVR? How does it tie in with surge protection and UPS? I get that surge protection is for power spikes, and UPS is for brownouts, or to power down gracefully in case of outages. I'm not clear on exactly what AVR is.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:09 AM   #38
Robbdoe1
Tivo Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisny View Post
Is $45 w/ free shipping from an Amazon seller a plausible deal on this model, or does it sounds sketchy? Also, is this one a good choice to plug the TiVo HD, cable box, and DVD Expander into?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...&condition=all

$45.00 + $0.00shipping New

Park Ave Enterprises Of New York Inc.
Seller Rating:99% positive over the past 12 months. (231 total ratings)
In Stock.
International & domestic shipping rates and return policy.
Brand New in Original Retail Packing. WE SHIP WORLDWIDE. Ships same or next day. You will receive a tracking number after item is shipped
That's not bad. I have never had a problem with a seller from Amazon. YMMV.

I figured that for less then 10 bucks I would get it locally and then if I had a problem with it I could return it or exchange it the same day. I paid $53 including tax from Office Depot. Staples has it for that price this week.

Robb

Old 10-07-2010, 07:36 AM   #39
wisny

Quote:

I figured that for less then 10 bucks I would get it locally and then if I had a problem with it I could return it or exchange it the same day. I paid $53 including tax from Office Depot. Staples has it for that price this week.

Robb

tyvm

I am going to look into Staples and Office Depot. I think the DVR Expander is coming today, so if I can just pick it up locally, and set up the WD today, Imma do that.

I appreciate your generosity with your knowledge, Robb
Old 10-07-2010, 09:58 PM   #40
wisny

Quote:

Robb

I got for the $49.99 at Staples, as you noted. It was advertised with $10 instant savings on the website, but when I got to the store, there was no instant savings sign. I asked at customer svce, they looked up the coupon code and I was good to go. Thx for the heads up on the Staples sale.
Old 10-08-2010, 02:24 AM   #41
cwerdna
Proud Tivolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisny View Post
What is AVR? How does it tie in with surge protection and UPS? I get that surge protection is for power spikes, and UPS is for brownouts, or to power down gracefully in case of outages. I'm not clear on exactly what AVR is.
I think AVR is an acronym for AV receiver or audio video receiver. Perhaps you don't have one?
cwerdna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 05:19 AM   #42
wisny

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwerdna View Post
I think AVR is an acronym for AV receiver or audio video receiver. Perhaps you don't have one?
Wait, what? UPS / surge protectors have audio visual receivers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletToothTony View Post

Old 10-08-2010, 06:51 AM   #43
Robbdoe1
Tivo Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwerdna View Post
AVR= Auto Voltage Regulation. This is a very good thing.

Robb

Old 10-08-2010, 07:21 AM   #44
CCONKLIN1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resist View Post
I have been using the Tripp-Lite Omni 1000LCD with the blue LCD for years that I purchased from Costco for $99. Then a few years later I replaced it with the same model but the newer version with an amber LCD, which is much better on the eyes.

The only thing I don't like about the unit is that during a power outage this UPS alerts you with an audible alarm, which you can silence. But when the UPS battery is depleted, the only way to stop the alarm is to turn the UPS off. This is very annoying when you lose power in the middle of the night and have several of these in your home.
The only thing more annoying is NOT having battery back ups and losing all of your recording and having you basement flood because you did not invest in one... :-)
CCONKLIN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 07:23 AM   #45
CCONKLIN1

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it..._c=site_search

Probably overkill for your tivo, but a good value for a component size battery back up. as an added benefit, it outputs pure sine wave versus the "stepped" or "approximated" sine waves of others...
CCONKLIN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 04:19 PM   #46
SNJpage1

I have four UPS's for my computers and other stuff. The power off warning can drive you crazy especially in the middle of the night when the drunk drivers always seem to hit the pole that services my neighborhood. I opend the case on all four and broke the warning buzzer with a pair of long nose pliers. Its a black plasic round device soldered to the circuit board. Looks like a small speaker which it is. It stops the warning with out hurting anything else.
Some one mentioned a low wattage solar system for a back up. Only problem is that it wont auto switch to back up, you have to switch it over manually.Lleaving you with the need of a UPS.
Old 10-10-2010, 03:19 AM   #47
restart88

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNJpage1 View Post
I have four UPS's for my computers and other stuff. The power off warning can drive you crazy especially in the middle of the night when the drunk drivers always seem to hit the pole that services my neighborhood. I opend the case on all four and broke the warning buzzer with a pair of long nose pliers. Its a black plasic round device soldered to the circuit board. Looks like a small speaker which it is. It stops the warning with out hurting anything else.
Some one mentioned a low wattage solar system for a back up. Only problem is that it wont auto switch to back up, you have to switch it over manually.Lleaving you with the need of a UPS.
OK so run the devices from the solar electric generating system and put a backup in there just in case. Since the power is off the grid it's less proned to a regular outage like your "drunk pole."
Old 10-12-2010, 12:08 PM   #48
KenVa

Does anyone know, do most of the entry level UPS's turn back on again when the power is restored if they shut down due to the battery running out? I really don't want something that would need to be manually reset. I may be away from home for a while and a minor power could cause me to lose all my scheduled records for a week or more .
KenVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 12:30 PM   #49
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenVa View Post
Does anyone know, do most of the entry level UPS's turn back on again when the power is restored if they shut down due to the battery running out? I really don't want something that would need to be manually reset. I may be away from home for a while and a minor power could cause me to lose all my scheduled records for a week or more .
For one, my 1000VA Belkin tower UPS powers up when the power comes back on without any intervention.

You'd hope they'd have an option to power up or not but I know my smaller UPSs have a power button.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 05:30 PM   #50
Playloud

I bought a APC Power Saving Back-UPS RS 1500 which backs up my...

-Folding@home/Fileserver computer (Q6600 OC'd to 3.2GHz - 100% CPU load 24/7)
-Gaming rig (Q9550 OC'd to 3.4 GHz, Radeon 4870) (currently idle, GPU underclocked/volted (since I am just browsing)
-LED backlit monitor which barely uses any power.
-TiVoHD and My DVR Expander doing its thing

At my current usage, my battery would last for 13 minutes if my power were to go out. Very rarely does the power go out longer than this. If the power failure happens while I am here, I can power down my computers, and the TiVo will have almost an hour IIRC. Of course, in reality, I would leave my folding computer on for a while, as I don't want to have to shut that down.

To prevent a TiVo from resetting during a simple power hiccup, almost any UPS would do (unless you live in a place where the power normally goes out for a long period of time). They don't use much power.

P.S. I should mention that I don't have my TV hooked up to the UPS, so while my TiVo would not shut off, my TV would be unpowered.
Playloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:58 PM   #51
cmaquilino16

Question Backup To tv and TiVo

Sorry for digging up a old post, but I need to stop the TiVo from reboot during storms. So I read the thread can I hook up TiVo HD and WD Expander and Plasma Tv to back up. Would the tv kill the back up battery or does the back up battery only work when the power goes out. I would turn off the tv once the power goes out not watch it during the powers out. So is it ok to connect tv too.

Thanks
cmaquilino16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:02 PM   #52
Dan203
Super Moderator

You need to pay attention to the maximum output of the UPS. If the TV draws too much power then it could cause the whole UPS to just shut down before you have a chance to shut the TV off.

I have my TV and stereo connected to my UPS, but it's a 1500W unit so it's more then capable of handing the load. I tried it with a smaller 500W unit once and it would cause the whole thing to shut down immediately because it was overloaded.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:30 PM   #53
shrike4242

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmaquilino16 View Post
Sorry for digging up a old post, but I need to stop the TiVo from reboot during storms. So I read the thread can I hook up TiVo HD and WD Expander and Plasma Tv to back up. Would the tv kill the back up battery or does the back up battery only work when the power goes out. I would turn off the tv once the power goes out not watch it during the powers out. So is it ok to connect tv too.

Thanks
The TV should go into a non-battery-backed outlet, while the Tivo and DVR Expander would go to battery-backed outlets. If you have a tuning adapter, that would need to go to a battery-backed outlet as well, otherwise it won't be able to change the channel during a power outage.

For the ones I used, I bought a number of these from Costco for $90 each:
http://www.amazon.com/CyberPower-CP1.../dp/B000OFXKFI

They're still being sold as Costco stores, though the price is up to $95 each.

Should last a number of hours if the power goes out. The Tivo + tuning adapter are on battery-backed outlets.
shrike4242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:23 PM   #54
unitron

Put stuff that runs whether you're watching or not, like TiVos, VCRs, tuning adapters, media server PC, cable modem, router, etc., on one (or more) UPS(es), and stuff like the TV and stereo receiver on a separate bigger UPS.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:30 PM   #55
cmaquilino16

Cool I got one

Hello I got UPS today at Costco Cyber Power 1350avr will that cover my TiVo plasmas tv TiVo expander? It cost me $101 dollars

Thanks
cmaquilino16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:43 AM   #56
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrike4242 View Post
The TV should go into a non-battery-backed outlet, while the Tivo and DVR Expander would go to battery-backed outlets. If you have a tuning adapter, that would need to go to a battery-backed outlet as well, otherwise it won't be able to change the channel during a power outage.

For the ones I used, I bought a number of these from Costco for $90 each:
http://www.amazon.com/CyberPower-CP1.../dp/B000OFXKFI

They're still being sold as Costco stores, though the price is up to $95 each.

Should last a number of hours if the power goes out. The Tivo + tuning adapter are on battery-backed outlets.
If you have a UPS with enough capacity you can plug your Tv in. All my electronics are connected to a UPS. Depending on the UPS and the device I get between 2 hours and 18 hours of runtime. All my TVs are on a UPS, as well as my receivers, sub-woofers, PCs, TiVos etc. So anytime there is a power outage I can continue watching TV, browsing the internet, playing a multiplayer game etc.

And all my UPSs can have the audible alarm turned off. I would not use any UPS that does not have the capability to disable the alarm. So when the power goes out I don't hear any beeping from the 12 or 13 UPS units I have.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote