TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-04-2010, 04:37 PM   #1
ghuido

What UPS to get for TIVO HD

Please excuse if this was asked and answered before. i did some searches and did not find anything.

I had a temporary power outage (1/2 sec) while I was watching something on Netflix on my TIVO HD. Let's just say it was not a fun experience to watch everything reboot on me in the middle of the show. Then have the WELCOME screen come up.

I figured it is time a get some UPS (Uninterrupted Power Supply/Battery Backup) to prevent this from happening. I've seen a lot of post with people saying this is a great idea. Have a couple of questions?

- What have people gotten for the TIVO HD as a UPS? I hear APC is good manuf.
- What is the Wattage requiremetn for the TIVO HD and the WD Expander?
- Has anyone connected their TV to a battery backup? I figure the wattage requirements would be so massive it would trip the UPS to overload and not be worth it.
- Any issues with overheating if a place it in a closed cabinet?
- Notice that the Surge Rating on UPS are not as high as normal surge protectors 400-300 Range Versus 1,000 Range (E.g. Triplite). Anybody see an issue with that?

Any advice is appreciated and welcomed.
ghuido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 05:39 PM   #2
jbell73

I would recommend a 350-500 VA UPS unit. I use APC, purchased for cheap when on-sale at office depot or staples.

I think my 500 VA unit kept my TiVo Hd and TiVo S3 up (both on one UPS) and running for about 20 minutes when I was doing maintenance on an electrical outlet.

The UPS will also help save the drive and/or power supply life as well. A stable power supply is a happy TiVo! I only run the TiVo on the UPS, others (SDV Adapters, Slingbox, etc...) are on standard power. I just want to preserve the TiVo. Not too concerned about the recordings.

-JBell73
jbell73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 06:00 PM   #3
jmill

Get 750V or higher, this the one I use and highly recommend:

http://www.amazon.com/APC-BACK-UPS-B...6229525&sr=8-1

Also, remember that you might want to connect your TV and/or AV receiver if you have that.

Depending on the size and wattage of your TV, as well as your need to keep everything running, you might want to get even higher UPC
jmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 06:12 PM   #4
donnoh

I have a UPS on both of my Tivo's. One is a 500VA and the other is 550VA. Your Tivo is the only device you need to put on it, a good surge suppressor will take care of everything else.
Unless you've got a battery the size of Texas you're not going to run your A/V system off of a UPS for very long, it's best to just let the Tivo record as long as it can.
donnoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 06:13 PM   #5
steve614
what ru lookin at?

It really depends on how you plan to deal with power outages.

If you're only going to use one for the Tivos to keep them from losing power, then get the cheaper 350VA UPS.

If you plan on being able to keep watching TV with surround sound or you want to anticipate an extra long power outage, get the biggest you can find.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 08:06 PM   #6
Resist

I have been using the Tripp-Lite Omni 1000LCD with the blue LCD for years that I purchased from Costco for $99. Then a few years later I replaced it with the same model but the newer version with an amber LCD, which is much better on the eyes.

The only thing I don't like about the unit is that during a power outage this UPS alerts you with an audible alarm, which you can silence. But when the UPS battery is depleted, the only way to stop the alarm is to turn the UPS off. This is very annoying when you lose power in the middle of the night and have several of these in your home.

Last edited by Resist : 10-04-2010 at 09:58 PM.
Resist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 08:12 PM   #7
Robbdoe1
Tivo Obsessed

I got this one for my THD:

http://www.officedepot.com/a/product...S-550-Battery/

Staples has it for $49 this week. I run my THD and my 32" Vizio LCD and I have my DVD player on it. I have not timed it yet but I pulled the plug the other day and it ran the TV and the Tivo for over a minute. I got it to correct the power glitches we have in my area.

Robb

Robbdoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 08:20 PM   #8
drevilkep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmill View Post
Get 750V or higher, this the one I use and highly recommend:

http://www.amazon.com/APC-BACK-UPS-B...6229525&sr=8-1

Also, remember that you might want to connect your TV and/or AV receiver if you have that.

Depending on the size and wattage of your TV, as well as your need to keep everything running, you might want to get even higher UPC
750va is WAY overkill for a TiVo that only uses 35 watts. Remember: VA doesn't translate into runtime directly. Battery size is the biggest factor there and most consumer UPSes are designed to run for about 20 mins or so. A 750 VA UPS will still only run about 40 minutes, even with no load.
drevilkep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:29 PM   #9
jmill

Quote:
Originally Posted by drevilkep View Post
750va is WAY overkill for a TiVo that only uses 35 watts. Remember: VA doesn't translate into runtime directly. Battery size is the biggest factor there and most consumer UPSes are designed to run for about 20 mins or so. A 750 VA UPS will still only run about 40 minutes, even with no load.
750VA for TiVo + TV + AV Receiver for 15-20 minutes is sufficient.

If he connects only TiVo, than 350VA-550VA should be enough. Further, if you'll read the original post carefully, the guy is asking about connecting TV to BackUPS.
jmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 11:19 PM   #10
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Costco has a lower end Tripp Lite right now. And it is covered by the regular Costco return policy -- that is lifetime satisfaction.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...1#BVRRWidgetID
ThreeSoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 02:53 AM   #11
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbell73 View Post
I think my 500 VA unit kept my TiVo Hd and TiVo S3 up (both on one UPS) and running for about 20 minutes when I was doing maintenance on an electrical outlet.
Just an FYI, but be very careful when doing electrical work with a UPS still running. They can actually insert current back into the line and deliver you a nasty, unexpected, shock even though the breaker is off. (this happened to a friend of mine)

I personally use a big 1500VA UPS to run 4 TiVos, a cable box, 3 tuning adapters, 2 esata hard drives and a cable amplifier (basically every thing I need to keep the TiVos recording) and it keeps everything running for almost an hour.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 03:57 AM   #12
Resist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSoFar View Post
And it is covered by the regular Costco return policy -- that is lifetime satisfaction.
It was my understanding that Costco got rid of their lifetime warranty on electronics, because of the abuse.
Resist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 05:50 AM   #13
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resist View Post
It was my understanding that Costco got rid of their lifetime warranty on electronics, because of the abuse.
Nope. A few things, yes, but not "electronics", per se.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:51 AM   #14
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Just an FYI, but be very careful when doing electrical work with a UPS still running. They can actually insert current back into the line and deliver you a nasty, unexpected, shock even though the breaker is off. (this happened to a friend of mine)

I personally use a big 1500VA UPS to run 4 TiVos, a cable box, 3 tuning adapters, 2 esata hard drives and a cable amplifier (basically every thing I need to keep the TiVos recording) and it keeps everything running for almost an hour.

Dan
Also be careful about grounding. Unplugging your UPS is not a safe or effective way to test how long it lasts on battery, as it and likely some of your electronics are expecting that ground to be there.
Old 10-05-2010, 06:06 AM   #15
restart88

Quote:
Originally Posted by drevilkep View Post
One option to keep the Tivo & TV running during a longer outage might be a low end solar power system for about $300 on Amazon. I've been considering it myself longer term. Not sure how much more load the cheaper systems could handle but from the comments it should work. But I'd still like at least a cheap UPS/ surge suppressor, just in case. Good habits die just as hard as bad ones. LOL
Old 10-05-2010, 07:43 AM   #16
etz

any recommendations for a source of replacement batteries? I have an APC UPS whose battery is shot and it would be nice to get it working again on the cheap.
etz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 08:27 AM   #17
ghuido

Wow ... thanks everyone for the recommendations and advice.

I'm thinking of going with an APC 350-550 Range for the TIVO HD and the WD Expander.

Everything else I'll keep on the massive tripllite surge protector I have.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:35 AM   #18
tiassa
Me --Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by etz View Post
any recommendations for a source of replacement batteries? I have an APC UPS whose battery is shot and it would be nice to get it working again on the cheap.
I just replaced the battery on one of the UPS's on my server desk from these guys http://www.planetbattery.com/ there were some other places that were a little cheaper but these guys were near to me which kept shipping charges down (something to consider when buying SLA's) and that also means that I got it quicker (I should have replaced this one a couple of months before I actually did).

As for which UPS to get I've been using the likely precursor to the one that Robbdoe1 posted it is an APC 500 VA. I have the Tivo, Expander, Amplifier and TV (46" LCD) plugged into it. My theory is if I'm home, watching TV and we lose power, I'll put the Tivo in standby (so I need the Amp and TV to have power) then shut everything down. If I'm not home, it is unlikely that the TV or Amp will be on (unless the cats figure out how to work the remote) and the Tivo and Expander will be the only draw. In this configuration I've been able to watch TV without power for 5 minutes or so, and the UPS has powered the Tivo and Expander in excess of 30 minutes, which is much longer than the typical outages we have in my neighborhood (we lose power for a few minutes probably once a month or so).

Last edited by tiassa : 10-05-2010 at 09:48 AM.
tiassa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 09:51 AM   #19
Robbdoe1
Tivo Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSoFar View Post
Also be careful about grounding. Unplugging your UPS is not a safe or effective way to test how long it lasts on battery, as it and likely some of your electronics are expecting that ground to be there.
Very good point.

If I do time test my setup I will switch the breaker off instead of pulling the plug. This way the house ground stays intact.

Robb

Old 10-05-2010, 09:57 AM   #20
Robbdoe1
Tivo Obsessed

Quote:
Online:
http://www.newark.com

http://www.digikey.com/?cshift_ck=21...&tid=511157916

http://www.apexbattery.com/

Online and Local:
http://www.batteriesplus.com/

I prefer the last one as I have a great relationship with the owner and I pay no shipping. I'm not sure if you have a local store near you or not.

Robb

Old 10-05-2010, 10:09 AM   #21
BulletToothTony

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmill View Post
750VA for TiVo + TV + AV Receiver for 15-20 minutes is sufficient.

If he connects only TiVo, than 350VA-550VA should be enough. Further, if you'll read the original post carefully, the guy is asking about connecting TV to BackUPS.
I think the 750VA is a great fit, especially if you add a TV, receiver, and some other small hardware. You never want to have your UPS running at 90% of capacity, this makes them unreliable and will lead to early failure.

I use a 1000VA to protect my stuff. I have about 20 minutes of run time, surge protection and power filtering.

If you have a better UPS you don't even need to have a surge protection in the line, the UPS will take care of all of that.
BulletToothTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:23 AM   #22
dlfl
Cranky old novice

UPS batteries should be replaced every two years. They degrade and if you wait until it's obvious they are dead, you have gone without protection for quite a while.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 11:41 AM   #23
Ladd Morse

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
UPS batteries should be replaced every two years. They degrade and if you wait until it's obvious they are dead, you have gone without protection for quite a while.
Two years seems a bit often. What do you base your estimates on?

All my UPSs are APC units which self-check battery strength every week. I replace the batteries when the units say the batteries are weak and that averages every 4-5 years. YMMV.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:17 PM   #24
BulletToothTony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladd Morse View Post
Two years seems a bit often. What do you base your estimates on?

All my UPSs are APC units which self-check battery strength every week. I replace the batteries when the units say the batteries are weak and that averages every 4-5 years. YMMV.

I agree, two years seems a bit too often. Good quality UPS batteries should last between 3-5 years. If you buy really cheap batteries, you'll have to replace them often.
BulletToothTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 12:34 PM   #25
ghuido

Looked online and the best buy actualy is at staples for $50.

APC Back-UPS ES 8 Outlet 550VA 120V

This is the one I got to try out on one of my TIVO's. I'll need to get two for the one with the High end TV and Receiver. That one I might splurge for the 750 like people say.

http://www.apc.com/products/resource...otal_watts=200

I have a 750VA right now guarding my computer.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:35 PM   #26
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Fun-nay

I read this as my power was out but my personal Macbook Pro and Monitor were still live.

The ComEd guy rang my doorbell and said they had to kill my power because my power pole got hit and they had to replace the crossbar. I shut down and unplugged my main TiVo.

Per usual, "15 minutes" was more like 30 minutes but my UPS held up - except I didn't have the work monitors plugged into it. I have my priorities straight.

As it is I have the TiVo/phone and network stuff on the 1000va Belkin UPS at the component rack and have some extension cords feeding out to the computers. . I'd like having one or two more UPSs and a few less long extension cords. I'll put one in the computer/office corner.

I just looked and I think I'll order one of these CyberPower UPS for now:http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...*1363*&topnav=

CyberPower gets good reviews on Amazon and I like it being energy efficient. I guess I need another for the bedroom TiVo.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

MikeAndrews is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 02:35 PM   #27
Stormspace
Electrocuted by TiVo

Quote:
Since I usually get the small ones I've found it's just as economical to replace the whole unit rather than just the battery. The last three I purchased also had 4 additional outlets compared to the previous models with surge protection on half of the 6 so I could run other devices on them.
180hr S2

Stormspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 03:43 PM   #28
JTYoung1

The only reason to plug a TV into a UPS is if you have a rear projection DLP or LCD and you can let the fan run after you turn the TV off. If you plan on connecting a receiver to a UPS you'd better have a 1500VA unit or higher. Although I do not know why you'd want to connect one to a UPS. When the power goes out you generally turn everything else off to keep the UPS running as long as possible in case you are recording something.
JTYoung1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 04:00 PM   #29
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTYoung1 View Post
... Although I do not know why you'd want to connect one to a UPS. When the power goes out you generally turn everything else off to keep the UPS running as long as possible in case you are recording something.
C'Mon JT! A power failure is an emergency! You think the USA wants to miss out on what's happening on Dancing with the Stars?
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

MikeAndrews is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 04:08 PM   #30
Dan203
Super Moderator

I have a separate 1200VA UPS which I use to run my TV, HT system and various other switches/devices required to actually watch TV. I bought it mainly because my TV kind of freaks out when the power goes out suddenly, but it's nice to be able to continue watching TV for an extra 10-15 minutes when the power goes out. I also have one that runs all my internet equipment (i.e. cable modem, router, switches and wireless access point) so I can continue to surf the web when the power goes out too.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote