TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-30-2010, 11:09 AM   #6631
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by rethinking View Post
Sorry if this doesn't belong here, but..... I just got a wd dvr expander (WDG1S10000N) for my tivo HD. I also have a cox tuning adapter and tivo wireless network adapter. I got the expander to set up pretty easily, but now I find that I can only get one usb port on my tivo to recognize a device. They were both working before the install, but now the top port will not recognize whatever I plug in. I have tried rebooting in various orders and still nothing from the top usb port. I have also tried switching adapters and chords and still the top one will not respond. Any thoughts?
It dosen't seem likely that one (attaching the eSATA drive) would have anything to do with the other (USB port becoming inactive), but you never know I suppose.

I would try divorcing the drive and see if things return to normal. Be aware that any recordings made since the drive was attached will be lost though. Be sure to follow the proper divorce procedures (found on the TiVo website). If that doesn't work I'd give TiVo a call.

Maybe someone else will have a solution...whatever the case let us know how things turn out. AFAIK that's a new one!
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:39 AM   #6632
V7Goose
Verizon FiOS

Cool Might Be Normal - Be Good to Test Another Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
It dosen't seem likely that one (attaching the eSATA drive) would have anything to do with the other (USB port becoming inactive), but you never know I suppose.

I would try divorcing the drive and see if things return to normal. Be aware that any recordings made since the drive was attached will be lost though. Be sure to follow the proper divorce procedures (found on the TiVo website). If that doesn't work I'd give TiVo a call.

Maybe someone else will have a solution...whatever the case let us know how things turn out. AFAIK that's a new one!
The reason I say this might be normal is a surprise I found on my Asus O!Play media player - this little box has both a USB and eSATA drive interface, the the eSATA port ALSO functions as a second USB port. I had never seen this before, but I tested it and it does work for either eSATA or USB drives.

So it seems possible that one of the USB ports on the TiVo box could be physically connected to the eSATA port. I guess I'll go test my HD unit by moving the wireless adapter to the other port . . .
V7Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:53 AM   #6633
V7Goose
Verizon FiOS

Cool Same on Mine

Interesting, my HD unit with a WD expander shows the same behavior! The wireless adapter has always been in the bottom USB slot and works fine. I just moved it to the top one and no workie. Very interesting.

Makes me begin to wonder if the HD would actually work with a USB drive in the top slot instead of requiring the eSATA drive??? I'd sure try it, just out of curiosity, if I didn't have to divorce my current expander first.
V7Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 06:10 PM   #6634
A J Ricaud

I just upgraded an S3 with a WD10EVDS. I couldn't get the first drive I got from Amazon to work. It had a build date of May, 2010. I ran WD's diagnostics, which it quickly failed-- "too many bad sectors". The replacement came today with a Sept. 1, 2010 build date. It would not boot completely so I ran wdidle on it. Success! It also boots fine after a soft reboot.
A J Ricaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 06:04 PM   #6635
scottopus

Quote:
Yes, a lot of folks are using it successfully here. The reason the WD GP drives aren't currently listed on the FAQ is due to a manufacturing issue wherein the drive's proprietary Intellipark feature caused TiVo to hang at the "Welcome! Powering up…" screen during a soft reboot (either a menu restart or after a TiVo update). If you read the FAQ you'll note that the drives needed to have Intellipark timeout extended or disabled to avoid the problem, otherwise they worked normally.

More recently manufactured WD GP drives including the WD10EARS no longer require the Intellipark adjustment to be made; generally it appears those drives manufactured after the first week in August this year or so. That said, it's difficult to say what the drive's manufacture date might be if ordered from Dell or anywhere else.
I got my 1 TB WD10EARS from Dell today. It has manufacturing date of August 6, 2010 which is the last Friday of the first week

I don't have a desktop so I"m going to use my friends computer next week to do the cloning. I'm just going to do the Intellipark patch to be sure.

With all the information on this thread, I don't foresee having any issues.
Old 10-02-2010, 12:38 AM   #6636
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by A J Ricaud View Post
I just upgraded an S3 with a WD10EVDS. I couldn't get the first drive I got from Amazon to work. It had a build date of May, 2010. I ran WD's diagnostics, which it quickly failed-- "too many bad sectors". The replacement came today with a Sept. 1, 2010 build date. It would not boot completely so I ran wdidle on it. Success! It also boots fine after a soft reboot.
Interesting…so a WD10EVDS built on Sept. 1st wouldn't boot at all w/o disabling the Intellipark feature. IIRC the same drive with a build date back in July didn't need Intellipark tweaked at all. So far it seems it's just about impossible to make any clear declarations about which WD drive will and won't work without the adjustment.
Old 10-02-2010, 12:39 AM   #6637
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottopus View Post
I got my 1 TB WD10EARS from Dell today. It has manufacturing date of August 6, 2010 which is the last Friday of the first week

I don't have a desktop so I"m going to use my friends computer next week to do the cloning. I'm just going to do the Intellipark patch to be sure.

With all the information on this thread, I don't foresee having any issues.
Sounds like you're on the right track…s/b a piece of cake.
Old 10-02-2010, 03:46 AM   #6638
dgs2000

Forum newbie here. I have to thank everyone who contributes to this forum- this is an amazing resource and made upgrading so easy.

Count me as a successful WD10EVDS upgrade without messing with wdidle/Intellipark adjustments. My WD10EVDS build date was August 4th 2010 and I tested a soft reboot with no issues.
dgs2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 10:55 AM   #6639
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgs2000 View Post
Forum newbie here. I have to thank everyone who contributes to this forum- this is an amazing resource and made upgrading so easy.

Count me as a successful WD10EVDS upgrade without messing with wdidle/Intellipark adjustments. My WD10EVDS build date was August 4th 2010 and I tested a soft reboot with no issues.
Welcome! Thanks very much for the data point…the Intellipark issue seems to be hit and miss at the moment but it's nice that you didn't have to fool around with the additional work to disable it.

Enjoy your "new" TiVo!
Old 10-02-2010, 02:38 PM   #6640
ehardman

Just got my Dell WD10EVDS and it has a Aug. 10 date. Will do the install tomorrow.

edit: Turns out I got a WD10EARS.

Last edited by ehardman : 10-03-2010 at 10:51 AM.
ehardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 04:39 PM   #6641
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehardman View Post
Just got my Dell WD10EVDS and it has a Aug. 10 date. Will do the install tomorrow.
Best of luck, let us know how it goes…particularly if you needed to run wdidle!
Old 10-03-2010, 10:49 AM   #6642
ehardman

Not able to select new WD10EARS in WINMFS

I must be doing something wrong. I successfully backed up my Tivo drive using a Vantec USB to SATA converter on my laptop running Windows 7. After connecting the new WD10EARS, WINMFS does not see the drive, nor can I see it in My Computer. I checked the "show mounted drive box" and still nothing shows up. The drive is running and the green USB icon appears showing the adapter. I looked in device manger and the drive shows up under Disk Drives. I ran WINMFS as administrator. I have also shut down and rebooted with the new drive connected.

Any ideas?

Last edited by ehardman : 10-03-2010 at 11:07 AM.
Old 10-03-2010, 12:02 PM   #6643
Heinrich

Is the drive showing up in BIOS? It should be if it's connected right (it won't show up in My Computer since it's not formatted for Windows)
Heinrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 12:19 PM   #6644
ehardman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinrich View Post
Is the drive showing up in BIOS? It should be if it's connected right (it won't show up in My Computer since it's not formatted for Windows)
I can see it in Device Manager and also in Disk Management. Do I need to partition the disk first or does WinMFS take of that?
Old 10-03-2010, 02:50 PM   #6645
richsadams

Quote:
I can see it in Device Manager and also in Disk Management. Do I need to partition the disk first or does WinMFS take of that?
As mentioned, you still need to check your BIOS to see if the drive shows up there and the boot order. I know others have had issues trying to use laptops to perform an upgrade, but I don't recall exactly what the issues were. IIRC quite a few of them ended up using a begged, borrowed or…well someone else's PC. You might do a search of this thread (probably "laptop" will do) and see what you can find. Perhaps someone that's used a laptop to perform an upgrade will chime in.

Yes, winMFS takes care of everything so you do not need to partition the new disk.
Old 10-03-2010, 04:27 PM   #6646
ehardman

Quote:
I must be doing something wrong. I successfully backed up my Tivo drive using a Vantec USB to SATA converter on my laptop running Windows 7. After connecting the new WD10EARS, WINMFS does not see the drive, nor can I see it in My Computer. I checked the "show mounted drive box" and still nothing shows up. The drive is running and the green USB icon appears showing the adapter. I looked in device manger and the drive shows up under Disk Drives. I ran WINMFS as administrator. I have also shut down and rebooted with the new drive connected.

Any ideas?
I gave up on the laptop and took the drive to my office where I could use the internal SATA connections on my PC. I was able to select the new drive and restored the backup from my Tivo drive.

However, upon installing the new drive, my Tivo got stuck on the "Powering Up" screen. So had to re-install the old drive.

Any ideas on why the new drive would not boot?
Old 10-03-2010, 06:24 PM   #6647
richsadams

Quote:
I gave up on the laptop and took the drive to my office where I could use the internal SATA connections on my PC. I was able to select the new drive and restored the backup from my Tivo drive.

However, upon installing the new drive, my Tivo got stuck on the "Powering Up" screen. So had to re-install the old drive.

Any ideas on why the new drive would not boot?
If it's hanging at the "Welcome! Powering up…" screen it means that the motherboard cannot communicate with the hard drive. Don't be offended, but make sure tha you actually reconnected the cables to the drive…hey, it's happened (to me ).

If everything is connected properly (and you can hear the drive spin up when you plug TiVo in) there's a very good chance you'll need to disable or extend the timeout for the Intellipark "feature" of your Western Digital hard drive. See Section IV, #29 for instructions on downloading wdidle3.exe and running it. It's relatively simple to do but unfortunately this will probably call for a trip back to the office because this is one thing that doesn't work via USB and requires a direct SATA connection.

Some drives (depending on the manufacture date) don't need anything done, others boot up but won't reboot from a menu restart (soft reboot) and yet others won't even boot up without adjusting Intellipark. It's a bit of a mess still.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:44 AM   #6648
ehardman

Question: I ran wdidle with my new WD10EARS temporarily installed in my PC this morning. However, I did not unplug my existing WD windows boot hard drive and wdidle updated both disks with the S300 command. Is this a problem? Should I change it back? If so, how?

I will test the WD10EARS later today and post the results.

Thanks!
Old 10-04-2010, 10:26 AM   #6649
richsadams

Quote:
Question: I ran wdidle with my new WD10EARS temporarily installed in my PC this morning. However, I did not unplug my existing WD windows boot hard drive and wdidle updated both disks with the S300 command. Is this a problem? Should I change it back? If so, how?

Thanks!
Ha! Rookie move. Kidding. If you want the drive in your PC to take advantage of the Intellipark power saving feature you could change it back. Otherwise it shouldn't affect anything else one way or the other.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:41 PM   #6650
ehardman

Quote:
Ha! Rookie move. Kidding. If you want the drive in your PC to take advantage of the Intellipark power saving feature you could change it back. Otherwise it shouldn't affect anything else one way or the other.
Rich, thank you for all your help. If I want to change it back, how do I do that? I don't know what commands are available for wdidle other than the S300.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:41 PM   #6651
richsadams

Quote:
Rich, thank you for all your help. If I want to change it back, how do I do that? I don't know what commands are available for wdidle other than the S300.
Easy peasy (I really hate that saying , but it seems to fit). The timer is originally set to 8 seconds so you just need to re-run wdidle3 and enter /S8. That will change it from 300 seconds (/S300) back to 8 seconds. Just for grins I tried it and can confirm it works.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:43 PM   #6652
ehardman

Quote:

Thanks!
I am pleased to report that wdidle solved the problem and my WD10EARS is now up and running. Goodbye to my failing 500gb My DVR Expander. Hello to 143 hours of internal HD video.

BTW, I first tried replacing the My DVR Expander eSata enclosure with a new Antec MX1. Didn't help so I guess the hard drive in the My DVR Expander was the culprit.

Rich, thank you again for your expert help.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:52 PM   #6653
Heinrich

I was getting frustrated making a WDIDLE3 CD and I only had a few hours, so I left my dad with a WDEARS w/o WDIDLE3. I'll fix it in two weeks. Considering the issue only happens with a soft reboot, which really doesn't happen much , I hope he'll be ok.
Heinrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 06:13 PM   #6654
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
I am pleased to report that wdidle solved the problem and my WD10EARS is now up and running. Goodbye to my failing 500gb My DVR Expander. Hello to 143 hours of internal HD video.

BTW, I first tried replacing the My DVR Expander eSata enclosure with a new Antec MX1. Didn't help so I guess the hard drive in the My DVR Expander was the culprit.

Rich, thank you again for your expert help.
I recently had My Expander quit on me from about 3 yrs of service. So I now I have a 1tb 10EVDS with 157 hrs after about 2 hrs of work. Did you activate supersize in WinMFS?

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 06:28 PM   #6655
ehardman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
I recently had My Expander quit on me from about 3 yrs of service. So I now I have a 1tb 10EVDS with 157 hrs after about 2 hrs of work. Did you activate supersize in WinMFS?
No. Did I leave 14 hours on the table?
Old 10-04-2010, 06:41 PM   #6656
Robbdoe1
Tivo Obsessed

Quote:
No. Did I leave 14 hours on the table?
Yes.

The good news is you can always supersize it at any time. Should be 157 hours as stated.

Robb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Robbdoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 07:05 PM   #6657
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinrich View Post
I was getting frustrated making a WDIDLE3 CD and I only had a few hours, so I left my dad with a WDEARS w/o WDIDLE3. I'll fix it in two weeks. Considering the issue only happens with a soft reboot, which really doesn't happen much , I hope he'll be ok.
FYI, I just used an old DOS boot floppy and ran wdidle3 that way.
ThreeSoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 07:24 PM   #6658
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSoFar View Post
FYI, I just used an old DOS boot floppy and ran wdidle3 that way.
And then he went back to listening to his favorite Creedence Clearwater 8 track tape. Ha! I kill me.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:27 PM   #6659
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
And then he went back to listening to his favorite Creedence Clearwater 8 track tape. Ha! I kill me.
16gb mp3 player Its a Sony!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:04 AM   #6660
maxweltd

Quote:
Interesting…so a WD10EVDS built on Sept. 1st wouldn't boot at all w/o disabling the Intellipark feature. IIRC the same drive with a build date back in July didn't need Intellipark tweaked at all. So far it seems it's just about impossible to make any clear declarations about which WD drive will and won't work without the adjustment.
Oh happy days! Let me tell you my story (and big thanks to this board!): My Series 3 Tivo Hard Drive died. I bought a WD10EVDS at Fry's last night (10/04/2010). I used Instantcake to load new Series 3 image to my new drive. I reattached to my Tivo, booted, and the Tivo was stuck on "Welcome, powering up". I read this thread to look for other problems. I skipped by wdidle3 because it mentioned the issue was resolved in newer WD drives. Then I read your post, and gave wdidle3 a try. Reimaged drive with series 3 software from instantcake, rebooted Tivo, and it works!

THANKS TIVO COMMUNITY!!!

SO if any of you have the same issue, it is confirmed you need to use wdidle3 on your drive prior to loading the Series 3 image.

From poster Drey:- 12-08-2009, 10:03 PM
It is indeed wdidle3.exe that disables IntelliPark. Once disabled, I can successfully reboot both HD and S3.

The only issue with wdidle3.exe is that it needs to run from DOS. Essentially, the steps are:

- Create bootable CD-ROM (or floppy drive, if you have it) with wdidle3.exe on it

- Connect "bad" WD drive to SATA. Ensure it is not in RAID or AHCI, but rather in EIDE Compatible mode. This is needed so older DOS can detect the drive.

- Boot from from above CD/floppy and run "wdidle3 /D" to disable IntelliPark. The message should say that it has been disabled.

- Remove the drive, load TiVo image and test. You should no longer have "soft-boot" problem.

Below is the link to bootable CD that I created with wdidle3.exe on it. When at DOS prompt, change to drive letter R: and access wdidle3.exe from there.

(I can't post link, new user, see his post for link)
maxweltd is offline   Reply With Quote