TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-05-2010, 01:25 AM   #91
joesebastian

S3 upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredqwest View Post
My conclusions for my THD:

Using a 1TB WD10EADS It shows 142 hours.
1.5TB = 215 hrs.
2TB = 287 hrs.

And I would like to think this would work for an S3, I don't have one.
I have a S3 that I upgraded to 1TB about a year ago. I still have the stock 250GB that ships with the S3. I am concerned that there has been software updates from Tivo.
My question is:
I would like to upgrade to 1.5TB using jmfs. I have WD15EARS.
Do I use the stock S3 disk as the source (to copy) from a year ago or the 1TB that is currently running the S3?
Did you use Spike supersize after the copy or did you just use the jmfs expand or both?

Thanks
Joe
joesebastian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 07:24 AM   #92
True Colors

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
It's probably a BIOS issue. I trust your PC's hard drive is SATA? If so try disconnecting your PC's hard drive SATA and power cable and connect the SATA and power cable to your new hard drive. Your OEM TiVo drive will be connected by the USB adapter which you know is recognized and you know also that your MB recognizes your PC's hard drive so the program should see both now. FWIW you don't need your PC's hard drive connected at all since you're booting up in a DOS program from your optical drive.
Yes. The internal hard drive on my PC IS a SATA drive. It is a western digital 80 gig(WD800 model).

I will try your suggestion later this evening when I get home.

Thanks Rich!

TC

Panasonic TV 42" plasma TH--42PZ85U

Apps used: Video ReDo, Tivo To Go, handbrake
True Colors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 09:11 AM   #93
kturcotte

Quote:
BANANA is the most common driver for CD/DVD drives. It's possible that your CD/DVD drive is not compatible. Try changing directories to R: or S: (A:\ cd R: ). See if you can get to wdidle3.exe that way. If not you may need to get The Ultimate Boot CD to create a new bootable CD with wdidle3 (downloaded separately).

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

Or is it WD's Lifeguard you're trying to use…or something else? Forgive me…posts become a blur after a while so you may have to spell out exactly what it is you're trying to do to refresh our memories (at least mine anyway ).

That's my WAG, but I may be off base a bit since I haven't gone down that path in quite a while. Comer or others may have better advice.
I understand about the posts becoming a blur lol It's the wdidle3.exe that I'm trying to use.
Also, does it matter WHEN that's done (Before/after "Tivoing" the new drive)?
kturcotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 09:16 AM   #94
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by kturcotte View Post
I understand about the posts becoming a blur lol It's the wdidle3.exe that I'm trying to use.
Also, does it matter WHEN that's done (Before/after "Tivoing" the new drive)?
Doesn't matter when it's done. Might not even need to be done…as mentioned earlier it depends on the drive, manufacture date, etc.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 09:19 AM   #95
kturcotte

Quote:
Doesn't matter when it's done. Might not even need to be done…as mentioned earlier it depends on the drive, manufacture date, etc.
It's a Western Digital WD20EVDS-63T3BO with a manufacturer's date of 08Setp2010. If it helps any, the serial # is WCAVY5511393
Old 10-05-2010, 09:28 AM   #96
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesebastian View Post
I have a S3 that I upgraded to 1TB about a year ago. I still have the stock 250GB that ships with the S3. I am concerned that there has been software updates from Tivo.
My question is:
I would like to upgrade to 1.5TB using jmfs. I have WD15EARS.
Do I use the stock S3 disk as the source (to copy) from a year ago or the 1TB that is currently running the S3?
Did you use Spike supersize after the copy or did you just use the jmfs expand or both?

Thanks
Joe
FWIW tried running Comer's JMFS program with a Series3 OEM drive and the program did not recognize the drive due to the file structure (which is different from a Premiere and a TiVo HD/HDXL). So I don't think it will work. If not, you can get 1.26GB of a 1.5TB drive by using the standard winMFS upgrade method that you used to upgrade to 1TB. Not sure if it's worth it or not. I will PM you with more info.

With regard to the current software version and using the OEM drive for upgrades, it really doesn't matter unless you've switched cableco providers in which case you'd lose your cable card pairing by using the OEM drive. You could slip the OEM drive back in and it will automatically update to the latest software or you could upgrade using the OEM drive and the new drive will get updated.

FWIW if you want to use your OEM drive and want to save your current Season Passes and Wish Lists, sign up for TiVo Guru Guides or KidZone before upgrading. When you upgrade the SP's and WLs will be repopulated after TiVo contacts the "mother ship".
Old 10-05-2010, 09:40 AM   #97
richsadams

Quote:
It's a Western Digital WD20EVDS-63T3BO with a manufacturer's date of 08Setp2010. If it helps any, the serial # is WCAVY5511393
Sept. 8th is right on the line…although IIRC there someone had an EVDS that was dated in July and didn't need Intellipark to be tweaked. About the only way to find out is to upgrade and see if, one, it boots up and if it boots up if it will reboot from a menu restart. If it does all of that, then you wouldn't need to mess with wdidle3.exe. Kind of trial and error right now.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:42 AM   #98
kturcotte

Quote:
Sept. 8th is right on the line…although IIRC there someone had an EVDS that was dated in July and didn't need Intellipark to be tweaked. About the only way to find out is to upgrade and see if, one, it boots up and if it boots up if it will reboot from a menu restart. If it does all of that, then you wouldn't need to mess with wdidle3.exe. Kind of trial and error right now.
So just run Comer's program, put it in the Tivo, and IF it boots, reboot it using the menu. If that works-everything's fine. If it doesn't work, I can then go ahead and do the wdidle3.exe tweak and not have to use Comer's program again?
Old 10-05-2010, 09:46 AM   #99
kturcotte

Also, what's the MOST this should take? I have a program ending at 4 pm and the next one is scheduled for 9 pm. Should I be able to complete EVERYTHING and have it up and running by 9?
Old 10-05-2010, 10:44 AM   #100
akaussie

Quote:
Also, what's the MOST this should take? I have a program ending at 4 pm and the next one is scheduled for 9 pm. Should I be able to complete EVERYTHING and have it up and running by 9?
When I upgraded to a 2 TB drive the process took 5+ hours (not sure exactly how long, as I went to bed before it finished up).
On my iMac I was working with a USB to SATA connections for both the original Tivo drive and the new hard drive..
akaussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 06:21 PM   #101
willv28

I used my existing WD10EAVS from my TiVo HD and used it for my Premiere. Everything went smoothly as could be.

One funny thing is it seems to be function slightly slower at times, not sure though as I almost did it immediately upon buying the premiere.
willv28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 06:45 PM   #102
comer

Quote:
So just run Comer's program, put it in the Tivo, and IF it boots, reboot it using the menu. If that works-everything's fine. If it doesn't work, I can then go ahead and do the wdidle3.exe tweak and not have to use Comer's program again?
It should boot after the upgrade regardless - it's a cold boot. Then reboot from menu - it's a warm boot - there it may hang if your drive has an issue with IntelliPark. If it hangs - turn the power off, apply the wdidle tweak and install the drive back into Tivo. No additional upgrade procedure necessary.

The old command-line guide is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
comer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 06:49 PM   #103
comer

Quote:
Depending on your drive connections. If it's SATA, then about 3 hours (320G at 33 M/s - conservative). If USB then about twice slower in my experience - 5 hours.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:51 PM   #104
nukleuz

I don't know if the software would boot on a macbook pro intel,anyone tried that yet?
nukleuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 08:09 PM   #105
comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukleuz View Post
I don't know if the software would boot on a macbook pro intel,anyone tried that yet?
You'll be the first! jmfs does not change anything on any disk without explicit permission. What do you get to lose?

Old 10-05-2010, 09:06 PM   #106
kturcotte

All right, I must have screwed something up. Everything's hooked up to the computer correctly. Both hard drives spin up, and the BIOS sees them. With the disc in, it does boot, and I do get the top row of Penguins. But then I get this message:

Fatal Error occurred-JAVAMFS Data not found. You are maybe using an unsupported boot device (eg. SCSI or old PCMCIA). Workaround: Copy the directory JAVAMFS from your boot device to an IDE/SATA disk, eg. to /mnt/hda1/javamfs or c:\javamfs. Then try to boot again.

Everything is SATA. Nothing is SCSI. No RAID or anything. What am I doing wrong?
Old 10-06-2010, 08:42 AM   #107
comer

Quote:
All right, I must have screwed something up. Everything's hooked up to the computer correctly. Both hard drives spin up, and the BIOS sees them. With the disc in, it does boot, and I do get the top row of Penguins. But then I get this message:

Fatal Error occurred-JAVAMFS Data not found. You are maybe using an unsupported boot device (eg. SCSI or old PCMCIA). Workaround: Copy the directory JAVAMFS from your boot device to an IDE/SATA disk, eg. to /mnt/hda1/javamfs or c:\javamfs. Then try to boot again.

Everything is SATA. Nothing is SCSI. No RAID or anything. What am I doing wrong?
Looks like a CD-burn problem. Can you see what's on CD under your regular OS (windows/mac)? You should see a couple of dirs: boot - 7Mb, JavaMFS - 78Mb. Inside JavaMFS there must be a file "livecd.sgn". Is it there?

Old 10-06-2010, 08:46 AM   #108
True Colors

I got it to work!! I now have 2 TB of storage goodness on my Tivo premiere thanks to comer's solution!!!!

If anyone read my earlier posts, I mentioned a roadblock. It turned out that I actually had 2 roadblocks. I will post the resolutions here just in case anyone else encouters similar problems.

I was using two USB to external hard drive adapters. Both of my problems were related to that.

My first problem was very, very simple. The electrical plug to power up one of the hard drives was bad. That was an irritating problem but an easy one to fix.

My second problem was slightly more complex. My PC did not recognize one of the hard drives. Rich suggested that I might have a BIOS issue, and that I could possibly overcome that by connecting one of my drives directly to my motherboard. I tried his idea and it worked like a charm.

Thanks Rich! Thanks comer!!!

TC
Old 10-06-2010, 08:56 AM   #109
comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Colors View Post
I got it to work!! I now have 2 TB of storage goodness on my Tivo premiere thanks to comer's solution!!!!

If anyone read my earlier posts, I mentioned a roadblock. It turned out that I actually had 2 roadblocks. I will post the resolutions here just in case anyone else encouters similar problems.

I was using two USB to external hard drive adapters. Both of my problems were related to that.

My first problem was very, very simple. The electrical plug to power up one of the hard drives was bad. That was an irritating problem but an easy one to fix.

My second problem was slightly more complex. My PC did not recognize one of the hard drives. Rich suggested that I might have a BIOS issue, and that I could possibly overcome that by connecting one of my drives directly to my motherboard. I tried his idea and it worked like a charm.

TC
No problem, enjoy!

Old 10-06-2010, 09:35 AM   #110
True Colors

Obviously I am thrilled with the solution that comer designed.

I do have one question, though...... After I imaged my 2TB drive I ran the "expand" command. When I booted up the new drive it told me that I have approximately 290 hours of space for HD recordings(or something close to that amount).

I looked at the weaknees page and they claim that their 2TB drive has 317 hours of HD recording space. Just out of curiousity, how did they squeeze that extra capacity in there?

TC
Old 10-06-2010, 09:51 AM   #111
richsadams

Quote:

TC
Sahweeet! Enjoy!
Old 10-06-2010, 10:01 AM   #112
comer

Quote:
I looked at the weaknees page and they claim that their 2TB drive has 317 hours of HD recording space. Just out of curiousity, how did they squeeze that extra capacity in there?
It's called "supersize". You can read what I think about it here.

Old 10-07-2010, 04:26 AM   #113
bluraven

Thanks comer! Your upgrade CD/script worked flawlessly for me. It was by far the easiest TiVo hard drive upgrade I have ever done. Upgraded to 2TB WD20EVDS. The only other thing that could possibly make it better is to add the supersize option, but it's not all that important really. I don't think I'll even come anywhere near the 290 HD hour limit for my family's needs. Well done and so very thankful for all your efforts. Many Thanks!
bluraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 07:10 AM   #114
comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluraven View Post
Thanks comer! Your upgrade CD/script worked flawlessly for me. It was by far the easiest TiVo hard drive upgrade I have ever done. Upgraded to 2TB WD20EVDS. The only other thing that could possibly make it better is to add the supersize option, but it's not all that important really. I don't think I'll even come anywhere near the 290 HD hour limit for my family's needs. Well done and so very thankful for all your efforts. Many Thanks!
Enjoy!

Old 10-07-2010, 08:29 AM   #115
kturcotte

Quote:
Originally Posted by comer View Post
Looks like a CD-burn problem. Can you see what's on CD under your regular OS (windows/mac)? You should see a couple of dirs: boot - 7Mb, JavaMFS - 78Mb. Inside JavaMFS there must be a file "livecd.sgn". Is it there?
I looked, and there's NOTHING labeled CD or DVD (It's mainly a DVD burner) in my Windows Folder. Could this be maybe because I never install the drivers, and just let Windows handle it (Which works)? If it helps any, I have an ASUS DRW-241ST DVD Burner. I did download the latest firmware 1.03 and updated it, even though I already had it, and that didn't change anything.
The only other thing I can think of is that I'm burning it to a DVD because I don't have any blank CDs. That shouldn't matter should it?

Last edited by kturcotte : 10-07-2010 at 08:40 AM.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:55 AM   #116
comer

Quote:
I looked, and there's NOTHING labeled CD or DVD (It's mainly a DVD burner) in my Windows Folder.
I didn't mean label "CD" Could you open your CD/DVD drive with jmfs CD inside in Windows explorer?

Quote:
The only other thing I can think of is that I'm burning it to a DVD because I don't have any blank CDs. That shouldn't matter should it?
Interesting, I never though of this... I believe there shouldn't be a problem, but I have to try...

Old 10-07-2010, 09:03 AM   #117
kturcotte

Quote:
I didn't mean label "CD" Could you open your CD/DVD drive with jmfs CD inside in Windows explorer?

Interesting, I never though of this... I believe there shouldn't be a problem, but I have to try...
lol Okay. 2 folders, Boot and JAVAMFS. Boot is 6.74 MB and contains isolinux, syslinux, initrd (Which is compressed), usb_inst and vmlinux. JAVAMFS contains livecd.cgn and the folder Modules which contains 1-001-core.lzm, 3134-jre1.6.0-18.lzm and jmfs-rec68.lzm
Old 10-07-2010, 09:29 AM   #118
comer

Quote:
lol Okay. 2 folders, Boot and JAVAMFS. Boot is 6.74 MB and contains isolinux, syslinux, initrd (Which is compressed), usb_inst and vmlinux. JAVAMFS contains livecd.cgn and the folder Modules which contains 1-001-core.lzm, 3134-jre1.6.0-18.lzm and jmfs-rec68.lzm
Seems alright. May be DVD is an issue after all. Can you boot from USB? First you will need FAT formatted USB stick. Then either do steps here, or copy everything from CD to USB and use "\boot\usb_inst.cmd X:" on USB (where "X:" is your USB drive name under Windows).

Old 10-07-2010, 09:43 AM   #119
kturcotte

Quote:
Seems alright. May be DVD is an issue after all. Can you boot from USB? First you will need FAT formatted USB stick. Then either do steps here, or copy everything from CD to USB and use "\boot\usb_inst.cmd X:" on USB (where "X:" is your USB drive name under Windows).
FAT or FAT32?
Old 10-07-2010, 09:58 AM   #120
comer

Quote:
FAT or FAT32?
FAT32