TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-01-2010, 11:03 AM   #1
bigguy126

Fios adds channel and I get cablecard pairing screen

Yesterday, Verizon added channel 789 (Discovery Kids HD), when I try and tune to it, I get the cablecard pairing screen. Is anyone else getting this channel? Tried calling tech support but gave up after being on hold 14 min.
bigguy126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:28 AM   #2
Aero 1

what package do you have? in order to get the channel you have to have the Extreme or Ultimate HD package. it is not included in the Prime HD package.

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | MLB.tv -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Aero 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:39 AM   #3
bigguy126

I have the extreme package.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:46 AM   #4
ira_l

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguy126 View Post
Yesterday, Verizon added channel 789 (Discovery Kids HD), when I try and tune to it, I get the cablecard pairing screen. Is anyone else getting this channel? Tried calling tech support but gave up after being on hold 14 min.
I'm getting it, but no guide data (yet.)

When you press the Info button, you get:

"The copyright holder of this program permits viewing at less than high definition on component outputs."

Also, FYI, in the lower right corner of the screen it says "in 9 days, DK becomes hub."

ira_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:55 AM   #5
Robbdoe1
Tivo Obsessed

Quote:
What screen is it? Is it the screen with the Host ID and CC ID numbers?

Robb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Robbdoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 12:01 PM   #6
bigguy126

Yes,

It says something to the effect like - In order to start cable service for this device contact you cable provider and gives verizons phone number then it shows the host id and cc id.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:10 PM   #7
Robbdoe1
Tivo Obsessed

Quote:
Yes,

It says something to the effect like - In order to start cable service for this device contact you cable provider and gives verizons phone number then it shows the host id and cc id.
I'm not on Fios and I'm pretty sure you guys don't have to have the Cable cards paired to the machine. IIRC some are paired and some are not? But that screen pops up when you go to a copy protected channel and the card is not paired to the device. I would call Fios and talk to someone who knows about CC's and pairing them to the Tivo.

This just happened to me on cable and it was happening cause the card was not paired to the device (Tivo).

Robb

Old 10-01-2010, 01:26 PM   #8
bigguy126

Does the pairing mean that they will be enforcing the "copy once" ie no more copying from one tivo to the other?
Old 10-01-2010, 01:34 PM   #9
hmm52

Quote:
Yes,

My Pairing screen has always looked like that since November 2006 - Host, Data, UnitAddress, contact cable provider 1 888.... and so forth. Wait to start on this or on Status screen. Nothing new on these details anyway.
Old 10-01-2010, 02:34 PM   #10
Robbdoe1
Tivo Obsessed

Quote:
Does the pairing mean that they will be enforcing the "copy once" ie no more copying from one tivo to the other?
Usually yes. I would call Fios and see if the card or cards in your machine need to be paired. Unless this 1 channel does not mean anything to you and you can live without it.

Robb

Old 10-01-2010, 02:41 PM   #11
Robbdoe1
Tivo Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmm52 View Post
My Pairing screen has always looked like that since November 2006 - Host, Data, UnitAddress, contact cable provider 1 888.... and so forth. Wait to start on this or on Status screen. Nothing new on these details anyway.
The OP is getting this screen pop up everytime he goes to the specific channel (789). I'm sure the screen may have looked like this from 2006, but does your screen pop up everytime you go to a certain channel? I ask cause I'm not on Fios. I don't know if the cable cards need to be paired or not. On my cable system BHN, if this screen pops up it indicates the channel is copy protected and that if you are subscribed to that channel then the card is not paired properly to the Tivo.

Robb

Old 10-01-2010, 04:57 PM   #12
Dave_N

I had a similar problem on HBO when comcast had partially paired my card. They had the data id wrong. You might want to verify the pairing especially the data id. After they corrected this they sent an initialization hit, (I don't really know if there are different kinds of hits) and it worked.

Hope this helps.

Dave
Dave_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 05:24 PM   #13
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Yeah, this channel (and only this channel) has the odd CCI value of "0x12". I suspect it's a mistake, although I guess it could mark the start of a new policy. Anyway, they never paired our cards, so non-zero CCI channels give this screen. But until now, the only channel I'd seen it on was 131/1952 (with a CCI of 0x02), and it's only now that I realize that was the reason. (Who'd expect that channel to be flagged? It seems backwards.)

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 05:37 PM   #14
Robbdoe1
Tivo Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
Yeah, this channel (and only this channel) has the odd CCI value of "0x12". I suspect it's a mistake, although I guess it could mark the start of a new policy. Anyway, they never paired our cards, so non-zero CCI channels give this screen. But until now, the only channel I'd seen it on was 131/1952 (with a CCI of 0x02), and it's only now that I realize that was the reason. (Who'd expect that channel to be flagged? It seems backwards.)
I hope it's not the start of something new for Fios. From what I understand it kills MRV. Will Fios pair cards if you call them?

Robb

Old 10-01-2010, 10:58 PM   #15
hmm52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbdoe1 View Post
The OP is getting this screen pop up everytime he goes to the specific channel (789). I'm sure the screen may have looked like this from 2006, but does your screen pop up everytime you go to a certain channel? I ask cause I'm not on Fios. I don't know if the cable cards need to be paired or not. On my cable system BHN, if this screen pops up it indicates the channel is copy protected and that if you are subscribed to that channel then the card is not paired properly to the Tivo.

Robb
No, I've never had the Pairing screen pop up when tuning a channel. I didn't read far enough back in the thread to see what the issue actually was. Just commented on the screen's details. Just tuned to 789 to check it out. Same deal: Discovery K for a second; Pairing screen pops up; CCI Byte 0X12 on Diagnostics for 789. Revise 1st sentence. Got me. I hope it's not contagious.

I went into the Conditional Access screens for 789 and a "normal" channel to see what they had to say. they looked pretty much alike: Encryption:conforming CSA // Connected:yes,EnabledByCP:no // Copy Protection Key: Disabled - the same for both. Differences between the two: CA enable: possible for "normal" (899HBO) & CCI: 0X00 // CA enable: not possible for 789 & CCI: 0X12. I don't know to what "CA enable" refers. It will be interesting to see what happens when the guide data shows up.

Last edited by hmm52 : 10-02-2010 at 12:06 AM.
hmm52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 01:30 AM   #16
cwerdna
Proud Tivolutionary

bigguy126: What geographic area are you in? It sounds like it doesn't happen on any other channels.

Perhaps this is the beginning of copy protection (CCI byte=0x02) in your area? We got hit by this in WA and OR when we were still under VZ (thread at http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=450307).
cwerdna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 09:10 AM   #17
bigguy126

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwerdna View Post
bigguy126: What geographic area are you in? It sounds like it doesn't happen on any other channels.

Perhaps this is the beginning of copy protection (CCI byte=0x02) in your area? We got hit by this in WA and OR when we were still under VZ (thread at http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=450307).
I am in the Pittsburgh area. I was reported at dslreports that others in other areas are experiencing the same thing. You are right, it was also reported that the CCI byte was set to 2. I am hoping that when Tivo gets the channel added to the listings that it will straighten out. Takes forever to get someone that knows anything when you call for support. Probably will have to end up getting my card paired. Right now it is only affecting this channel.
Old 10-02-2010, 02:03 PM   #18
Cheezmo

Same problem in Dallas area.
Old 10-02-2010, 05:05 PM   #19
wesmills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheezmo View Post
Same problem in Dallas area.
Yep. It has begun. 789 shows a CCI byte of 0x02.
wesmills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 02:01 AM   #20
hmm52

Trivial data point but I'll post it anyway. I've got S3s at two different residences about 5 miles apart. They all show "0X12" for 789 which seems pretty silly as CCI bytes don't go anywhere near that high AFAIK. I played around with 789 today at one residence - tuned it on both tuners, switched channels, recorded for 20 minutes. No problems. Display was always there; no info was the only quirk. At other residence 789 caused S3 to hurl the pairing screen almost immediately, as it did yesterday. Not scientific as tests were hours apart.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:53 AM   #21
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

hmm52, there's no info because TiVo hasn't added the channel to the guide yet. As for your S3s that worked, they must be paired with their CableCards. The non-zero CCI isn't a problem by itself (except for TTG/MRV); it's only an issue with unpaired cards, which most Verizon cards have been to date.

Old 10-04-2010, 10:49 AM   #22
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmm52 View Post
Trivial data point but I'll post it anyway. I've got S3s at two different residences about 5 miles apart. They all show "0X12" for 789 which seems pretty silly as CCI bytes don't go anywhere near that high AFAIK. I played around with 789 today at one residence - tuned it on both tuners, switched channels, recorded for 20 minutes. No problems. Display was always there; no info was the only quirk. At other residence 789 caused S3 to hurl the pairing screen almost immediately, as it did yesterday. Not scientific as tests were hours apart.
Technically CCI=0x12 is a legal setting.
See page 20 of DFAST document:
http://www.cablelabs.com/opencable/u...ch_License.pdf
Hex=0x12 => binary 10010
The leading 1 is bit 4 which is the Constrained Image Trigger (CIT) bit which means that HD analog outputs (usually component) need to be constrained to lower resolution when set.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 10:11 PM   #23
hmm52

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
hmm52, there's no info because TiVo hasn't added the channel to the guide yet. As for your S3s that worked, they must be paired with their CableCards. The non-zero CCI isn't a problem by itself (except for TTG/MRV); it's only an issue with unpaired cards, which most Verizon cards have been to date.
You've engaged my curiosity. Perhaps you could review the data so I might understand what's going on. - Two houses, A & B, both with FiOS TV, 5 miles apart, same central office.

House A: Two S3s with 4 of 5 S cablecards from '06 mostly. 5th card was in TV. Both S3s bring up pairing screen on both tuners/cards when tuned to 789.

House B: FiOS TV since '06 but no cablecards on account before 3 days ago. 5th S card from A was used at house B occasionally - in another S3; no issues. Verizon tech installed & initialized M card in first position Friday. I inserted S card from house A into 2nd slot several hours after he left. No problems. As of today 789 still tunes & displays fine on both tuners/cablecards.

I didn't think Verizon was pairing any cards in the East so far. I assumed pairing needed to be actively done and even if the M card had been paired, it wouldn't have any effect on the S card inserted much later. An explanation would be more than welcomed.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:31 AM   #24
hmm52

Well I just checked the S3 at house B. The M card is paired - Con:Yes EBCP:Yes Val:V 0X01. CP:Enabled. Still 0X12 for 789. The S card has a very different Conditional Access screen but shows - EnabledByCP: yes. Auth:SUBSCRIBED. CA enable: possible. Host Validation: Unknown 00. Copy Protection Key: Disabled. This is not the same as what I saw on the 4 S cards last night at house A - last 2 elements the same but not the first 2; no subscription mentioned at all on any of the 4 cards at house A.

Remaining question from yesterday is why tuner 0 was able to tune and display 789. Yes, I know what the Live TV button does and how to select channels. Irrelevant topic I think at this point as I seriously doubt there will be a reverse change. So to which channels will Verizon apply 0X02 in the east?

edit: 789 does not display through S card in house B today. It did yesterday.

Last edited by hmm52 : 10-05-2010 at 12:26 PM.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:59 PM   #25
hmm52

Mid afternoon update:

3 out 4 S cards at house A have changed since last night. The 3 now show EnabledByCP: yes. Auth: Subscribed. 4th S card remains EnabledByCP: no. Auth: unknown. [Host Validation: Unknown 00 for all 4 cards. (not paired).] So 4 out of 5 S cards have seen changes in conditional access in the recent few days. The process appears in full gear at the Philadelphia VHO anyway.

EDIT Wednesday morning: House A Conditional Access screens have changed again: 1 S3 has reverted to former state - Auth: unknown, etc. on both cards. Other S3 has held Auth: SUBSCRIBED on both cards but one is EnabledByCP: yes, CA enable: possible; other card is EnabledByCP: no, CA enable: not possible.

Last edited by hmm52 : 10-06-2010 at 06:54 AM. Reason: next morning update
Old 10-13-2010, 12:49 AM   #26
dcpmark

When I added 789 I get the cable card screen on my S3 with lifetime (2 S-cards), but both of my TiVO HDs with M-cards work fine. The S3 is from 2007, but the TiVO HDs were both added within the last 8 months.

Any way to fix the S3?
dcpmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 01:04 AM   #27
Cheezmo

Call Verizon, get them to pair your cablecards. Complain of inability to transfer shows recorded on 789 from one Tivo to another.
Old 10-13-2010, 03:30 PM   #28
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
I am hoping that when Tivo gets the channel added to the listings that it will straighten out.
Well, that didn't happen. It's officially "The Hub" now, we have guide data (at least in my area), and it's still CCI = 0x12.

It's interesting that some people are seeing CCI = 0x02. That inconsistency seems to lend credence to the idea that it's a mistake... or possibly an experiment. The use of that image constraint token is the strangest part of this. Are people with a CCI of 0x12, paired cards, and a component connection seeing it downconverted?

Old 10-13-2010, 03:58 PM   #29
E94Allen

I wouldn't know since HUB is a analog channel 35 in my area (my provider doesn't offer ADS even with the cablecard).
E94Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 05:31 PM   #30
aaronwt
HD Addict

I'll have to check mine out tonight. I had no problem viewing it, but i did not try to record anything and transfer.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote