TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-30-2010, 08:33 AM   #841
comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotoru View Post
Does the WD Lifeguard CD allow you to access a command prompt? Or do I need a Win 95/DOS bootable CD?
I think floppy is your best bet in this regards. They always start their utility automatically, but changing autoexec.bat on a floppy is very easy. Also, there are a number of DOS disks on http://www.bootdisk.com/, check them out, may help.

Quote:
If I can boot to WD CD and get command prompt then I could probably plug in the WD20EARS drive using an external eSATA plug and it should work to flash.... maybe
Thanks,
It should. You will also need to power your drive.

The old command-line guide is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
comer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:01 AM   #842
retiredqwest

Anyone try this software with a S3 or THD?? Or will it not work.... or blow up later.

THD 1.5TB Seagate = 237 hrs HD
Premiere WD20EVDS = 317 hrs HD.
XL4 = 318 hrs HD
retiredqwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:14 AM   #843
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredqwest View Post
Anyone try this software with a S3 or THD?? Or will it not work.... or blow up later.
I tried running it with a Series3 OEM drive and the programg didn't recognize the hard drive. It did recognize my Premiere XL's hard drive however so it doesn't look like it will work with an S3 at least.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 12:00 PM   #844
retiredqwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
I tried running it with a Series3 OEM drive and the programg didn't recognize the hard drive. It did recognize my Premiere XL's hard drive however so it doesn't look like it will work with an S3 at least.
It worked for me on my THD 160 gigger to a Seagate 1.5 TB. Booted up and showed 215 hrs HD.

Its running right now to a 2TB.....

will report back later....

XL4 = 318 hrs HD
Old 09-30-2010, 12:30 PM   #845
retiredqwest

And I really meant to leave this in this thread.... http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=455968

Thought I did....

If an Admin wants to move this as this conversation has nothing to do with S4.

Either way I'll continue over there.

Scotty

XL4 = 318 hrs HD
Old 09-30-2010, 01:28 PM   #846
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Just noting from WD pageWD page for WDidle3 software

Noticed that WD20EARS is not on the list. Is your WD20EARS working after using the WDidle3?
Thanks,
I don't have a WD20EARS, I have a WD20EVDS, and yes it is working fine. When I booted the cd the idle timeout was the default (8) and now it is "DISABLED".

Z
Old 09-30-2010, 02:03 PM   #847
comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zordude View Post
I don't have a WD20EARS, I have a WD20EVDS, and yes it is working fine. When I booted the cd the idle timeout was the default (8) and now it is "DISABLED".

Z
15EARS worked here as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:11 AM   #848
jbell73

Quote:

Z
WD20EARS and WD10EARS both worked fine with this application, but version 1.03. I'm sure either version would work fine when used as described earlier in this thread.

I think this is just a CYA maneuver from WD.

-JBell73
jbell73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:29 AM   #849
kturcotte

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbell73 View Post
WD20EARS and WD10EARS both worked fine with this application, but version 1.03. I'm sure either version would work fine when used as described earlier in this thread.

I think this is just a CYA maneuver from WD.

-JBell73
The 2TB EVDS drives work just fine too right?
kturcotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 12:37 PM   #850
jbell73

Quote:
... I have a WD20EVDS, and yes it is working fine. When I booted the cd the idle timeout was the default (8) and now it is "DISABLED".

Z

So I would say "Yes", but no first hand experience.
jbell73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 12:54 AM   #851
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredqwest View Post
It worked for me on my THD 160 gigger to a Seagate 1.5 TB. Booted up and showed 215 hrs HD.

Its running right now to a 2TB.....

will report back later....
My experiment was on an iMac. Since it did recognize the Premiere drive but not the S3's, it probably has to do with the S3's structure, but it could also have something to do with jmfs being run on an iMac…doesn't seem likely, but it's possible.
Old 10-02-2010, 01:01 AM   #852
jmill

Quote:
My experiment was on an iMac. Since it did recognize the Premiere drive but not the S3's, it probably has to do with the S3's structure, but it could also have something to do with jmfs being run on an iMac…doesn't seem likely, but it's possible.
Both Series 2 and Series 3 see hard drive as PATA, so tools like MFS and WinMFS work.

TiVo Premiere sees hard drive as SATA, so tools had to be modified. As such, they're not compatible with older TiVo units.
jmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 01:22 AM   #853
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmill View Post
Both Series 2 and Series 3 see hard drive as PATA, so tools like MFS and WinMFS work.

TiVo Premiere sees hard drive as SATA, so tools had to be modified. As such, they're not compatible with older TiVo units.
Makes sense. Then that means that jmfs sees the HD/HDXL drives as SATA as well.
Old 10-02-2010, 01:37 AM   #854
Shagger

Some weirdness here, I want to use widle3 so I am trying to boot with the DL Diags disk and my computer hangs as its recognizing the WD20EARS drive. Do I need to set some sort of jumper or what?
Shagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 07:19 AM   #855
joesebastian

I was able to disable the idle timer by running wdidle3 on WD15EARS. I created a dos boot usb thumbdrive using Hiren bootcd. If you search for it on google he has step by step instructions to create the usb drive. I learned the hard way that if you have RAID enabled in the bios wdidle3 does not recognized the hard drive. Disable RAID for it to work.
No jumper needed.
joesebastian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 10:29 AM   #856
Shagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesebastian View Post
I was able to disable the idle timer by running wdidle3 on WD15EARS. I created a dos boot usb thumbdrive using Hiren bootcd. If you search for it on google he has step by step instructions to create the usb drive. I learned the hard way that if you have RAID enabled in the bios wdidle3 does not recognized the hard drive. Disable RAID for it to work.
No jumper needed.
Hmmm - well I guess lots of people with my board have had similar issues with the newer large SATA drives.

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?...Language=en-us

Looks like a BIOS flash is in order... Nothing like a quick 5 minute project! :O Sigh, I am sure Comer's utility will be easier than this!
Old 10-02-2010, 10:35 AM   #857
hotoru

Note WD Drive Upgrade

Thanks to comer and the others on this forum I have finished upgrade. Things went pretty smooth after some initial difficulty getting wdidle3 (finally borrowed friends PC). Here were the steps I used for anyone else as thick as am I.

-Buy a WD20EARS 2TB Drive
-Get a PC box where you can open and access SATA connection
-Check BIOS (on booting) and make sure CD or Floppy is before hard drive in boot order
-Get boot disk (floppy or CD) and burn to disk using Mac or Windows
-Download WD tool and copy/burn to CD/Floppy/or USB Key
-Download Comer's copy tool from here. (the *iso.zip version). Unzip then burn ISO as CD (same as above).
-Make sure your WD20EARS hard drive connected to SATA port on motherboard.
-Put bootdisk CD in drive and boot PC to CD
-Insert media with WDidle3 tool and run with argument "wdidle3 /d" (sans quotes) to disable intellipark feature that might cause early drive failure in TiVo.
-You can re-run WDidle3 without argument ("wdidle3") and should get message saying something like timer is disabled.
-Note percent of free space on TiVo under "My Shows"
-Shutdown and unplug TiVo.
-Open TiVo using torx wrench with #10 bit to remove four screws from back of TiVo(Found online, home improvement, auto parts and sears stores).
-Remove Hard Drive from TiVo by unscrewing four Torx screws (the same size) that holds brackets to main board. Also remove SATA power and Data cable from Drive.
-Install old TiVo drive into PC on SATA port next to your new WD20EARS drive. (Alternatively you could put each drive in a USB drive enclosure to copy via USB)
-Remove bootdisk from drive and replace with Comers Copy CD burned earlier
-Re-Boot the PC (or can use Mac or PC if using USB cables/dock to Copy drives). You should see some Tux Penguins in the top left of monitor.
-You want to select "C" for the copy feature. Follow instructions on screen to select the old 360GB Tivo drive as source and the new 2TB WD drive as destination.
-Copying should take about 2-4 hours.
-When finished select "y" (for yes) to expand new 2TB drive (if not the new 2TB drive will think it is only a 360GB drive).
-Expansion should only take a few seconds.
-Shut down PC, unplug, and remove both drives from SATA ports.
-Reverse steps and replace TiVo drive with new 2TB WD20EARS drive.
-Plug back in SATA Cable/Power to TiVo drive (I forgot this one first time, doh!). Replace Screws in drive mount bracket and TiVo Cover and screws
-Plug Tivo Cable, internet and power
-Wait for 10 painful minutes while TiVo boots.
-Check "My Shows" and you should see used space percent has dropped (mine went from 55% to 9% :-) )
-If all goes well Donate some $$ as thanks to Comer's efforts for a great CD tool without which I would not have been able to upgrade my drive.

(Thanks to richsadams & tgrim1 for input with above guide and all the help from this forum with upgrade)
Let me know if I left out any steps.
Cheers

Last edited by hotoru : 10-14-2010 at 12:20 AM. Reason: corrections - additions
hotoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 11:18 AM   #858
richsadams

Nice follow up and props for the links to the various items.

There are a couple of confusing lines:

Quote:
Connect the new TiVo 3.5 SATA drive to be the laptops new primary.
Laptop? You were using a regular PC correct?

Quote:
Open TiVo using torx wrench (sorry I cannot remember which one) to remove five screws from back of TiVo.
Not to be too picky but there are only four case screws (two more for the fan, but they don't need to be removed).

BTW, they are Torx 10 screws on the TiVo case and the hard drive sled. Using a Torx screwdriver is a little easier, particularly for the sled IMHO. A Torx 10 screwdriver can be found at most auto parts stores or Sears.

FWIW the jfms disk works fine on a Mac (no need to create a USB copy).

You might want to post a short link to your post here over on Comer's "main" upgrade thread:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=455968

Enjoy!

Last edited by richsadams : 10-02-2010 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Tyop…d'oh!
Old 10-02-2010, 11:39 AM   #859
kturcotte

Quote:
Thanks to comer and the others on this forum I have finished upgrade. Things went pretty smooth after some initial difficulty getting wdidle3 (finally borrowed friends PC). Here were the steps I used for anyone else as thick as I.

-Download WD tool and copy/burn to CD/Floppy/or USB Key
-Download Comer's copy tool from here. (the *iso.zip version). Unzip then burn ISO as CD (same as above).
Will this work with the EVDS drives too? Also, is there a 64 bit version, or does it not matter, just burn what's there? I tried opening it and it said it's the wrong version for my system (Windows 7 64 bit).
Old 10-02-2010, 11:41 AM   #860
comer

Quote:
Thanks to comer and the others on this forum I have finished upgrade. Things went pretty smooth after some initial difficulty getting wdidle3 (finally borrowed friends PC). Here were the steps I used for anyone else as thick as I.
Nice instructions! Congrats on your upgrade!

Old 10-02-2010, 11:44 AM   #861
comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kturcotte View Post
Will this work with the EVDS drives too? Also, is there a 64 bit version, or does it not matter, just burn what's there? I tried opening it and it said it's the wrong version for my system (Windows 7 64 bit).
It should work for EVDS. Get DOS version - your Windows won't matter

Old 10-02-2010, 01:01 PM   #862
hotoru

Quote:
Nice follow up and props for the links to the various items. There are a couple of confusing lines:........
Thanks for input. I updated post. The USB copy to which I was referring was using USB cables and enclosures to clone the drives as most Macs do not have accessible SATA ports (maybe mac pro?) I tried to make that clearer in the body of the text.
hotoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 01:27 PM   #863
richsadams

Quote:
Thanks for input. I updated post. The USB copy to which I was referring was using USB cables and enclosures to clone the drives as most Macs do not have accessible SATA ports (maybe mac pro?) I tried to make that clearer in the body of the text.
Got it. I think I'd rephrase that one line to say something like "…if using USB adapters or dock to copy drive)…and it wouldn't be isolated to a Mac as you can do the same with a PC. Otherwise, perfect! Nicely done.
Old 10-02-2010, 01:48 PM   #864
kturcotte

Quote:
Originally Posted by comer View Post
It should work for EVDS. Get DOS version - your Windows won't matter
Only thing I see for DOS is Data Lifeguard.
Old 10-02-2010, 04:13 PM   #865
comer

T
Quote:
Only thing I see for DOS is Data Lifeguard.
Sorry, I was thinking about diagnostic tool as someone else asked about checking the drive before using it
The wdidle is for DOS only, so you need to get a bootable DOS disk.

Old 10-02-2010, 05:36 PM   #866
gamo62

If anyone here could post the image for the Premiere, that would be great. I suck at Linux, and would have a hard time trying to figure out what to do. On my THD, I just used WinMFS and it worked great. Thanks.
gamo62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 06:51 PM   #867
comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamo62 View Post
If anyone here could post the image for the Premiere, that would be great. I suck at Linux, and would have a hard time trying to figure out what to do. On my THD, I just used WinMFS and it worked great. Thanks.
You don't have to "unsuck" at Linux to use jmfs It's guided, so you only need to answer questions and make a choice in plain English

Old 10-03-2010, 12:54 AM   #868
Shagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagger View Post
Hmmm - well I guess lots of people with my board have had similar issues with the newer large SATA drives.

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?...Language=en-us

Looks like a BIOS flash is in order... Nothing like a quick 5 minute project! :O Sigh, I am sure Comer's utility will be easier than this!
Wow, that sucked... So in order to use the wdidle3 tool to turn off the intellipark on my 20EARS I had to boot my main computer with a DOS disc with the tool on it. The problem was, my A7N8X-Deluxe 2.0 board needed a hacked bios to recognize > 1TB drives. Otherwise the boot sequence would just hang. Supposedly the SiI3112 drivers in the ASUS bios were bad, so, I had to flash the BIOS to this new hacked 1.008-E BIOS, some guy cobbled together. http://www.moonfest.com/bios/asus.htm
I finally got it to run, but the Award BIOS flash told me to press F1 to reset and the computer didn't reboot quite right and I was afraid I had bricked my computer. So I got it to finally boot, I ran the wdidle3 tool, and am I am FINALLY using Comer's JMFS tool. Holy s4!t, finding the issue with the drive > 1TB was maddening. Now my BIOS settings are all wonky too! The copy is cranking away, so I am happy, but finding the root cause of the computer hanging ALMOST put me over the edge. So the upshot is I have my Tivo upgraded but my computer now won't recover from going into 'sleep' mode... (sigh) more junk to 'tinker' with...
Old 10-03-2010, 12:22 PM   #869
kturcotte

Quote:
Originally Posted by comer View Post
T

Sorry, I was thinking about diagnostic tool as someone else asked about checking the drive before using it
The wdidle is for DOS only, so you need to get a bootable DOS disk.
How would I go about doing that? What EXACTLY do I need to do? lol
Old 10-03-2010, 12:36 PM   #870
comer

Quote:
How would I go about doing that? What EXACTLY do I need to do? lol
hotoru did exactly what you ask just recently and described it. Check out this post.