TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-23-2010, 03:19 AM   #2671
moyekj

FYI, the latest VRD TVSuite 4 can finally edit mp4 container with H.264 video & AC3 audio.

EDIT: However I haven't yet been able to get QS Fix working via kmttg with this new version...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by moyekj : 09-23-2010 at 03:42 AM.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 11:12 AM   #2672
lew

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
FYI, the latest VRD TVSuite 4 can finally edit mp4 container with H.264 video & AC3 audio.

EDIT: However I haven't yet been able to get QS Fix working via kmttg with this new version...
I'm not enough of a "geek" to understand how you'e interfacing with VRD.

I found this on their website. I don't know if it helps solve the issue.
Quote:
[Enhancement] Batch: In TVS4 new batch manager launched by default. Can change via option #65 on Shift+Tools>Options.
The new "experimental" batch manager from prior releases is now the default for TVSuite V4. It now has built in support for profiles and will execute the batch command internally rather than create a separate .cmd file. A .cmd file output is still available. You can revert to the old batch manager by changing #64 on Shift+Tools>Options or holding down the shift key when launching the match manager.

lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:06 PM   #2673
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by lew View Post
I'm not enough of a "geek" to understand how you'e interfacing with VRD.

I found this on their website. I don't know if it helps solve the issue.
Haven't had time to dig into it, but I suspect the issue is related to these COM changes outlined in release notes:
(kmttg uses COM functions for running VRD tasks in batch mode)
http://www.videoredo.net/msgBoard/sh...ad.php?t=24328
Quote:
[Change] COM: Added new function, SaveJoinerWithProfile( outputFilename, profileName )
[Change] COM: FileSaveAs and SaveJoinerAs functions will return false when used with TVSuite V4. Use profile functions instead.

Old 09-24-2010, 10:39 AM   #2674
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj
Haven't had time to dig into it, but I suspect the issue is related to these COM changes outlined in release notes:
(kmttg uses COM functions for running VRD tasks in batch mode)
http://www.videoredo.net/msgBoard/sh...ad.php?t=24328
Quote:
[Change] COM: Added new function, SaveJoinerWithProfile( outputFilename, profileName )
[Change] COM: FileSaveAs and SaveJoinerAs functions will return false when used with TVSuite V4. Use profile functions instead.
That was indeed the issue. The latest version has to use newer COM functions for qsfix & adcut tasks. Next kmttg release will support latest VRD TV Suite as well as still be backwards compatible with older releases.

Old 09-24-2010, 09:28 PM   #2675
whatsie2007

Hi
can you please tell me how to keep subtitles when transferring from tivo to computer?
thank you.
whatsie2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 02:27 PM   #2676
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsie2007 View Post
Hi
can you please tell me how to keep subtitles when transferring from tivo to computer?
thank you.
Subtitles are already preserved for TTG transfers.

Old 09-25-2010, 07:44 PM   #2677
whatsie2007

sorry but im absolutely new to this and i dont know what that means.
does it mean you can transfer the show and keep captions and replay them on computer and/or dvd.

EDIT
SORRY. WORKED IT OUT.
THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY.

Last edited by whatsie2007 : 09-25-2010 at 08:04 PM.
whatsie2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 11:20 PM   #2678
txporter
One sec, almost done

Quote:
Originally Posted by txporter View Post
Yes, this is true. However, he may be only talking about visual quality and not bit-for-bit exact. You can probably get ~50% size savings with ffmpeg/handbrake encoding to h.264 codec that will be very difficult to visually notice a quality difference.

BTW, I built a handbrake profile for kmttg for another user that should inverse telecine FILM based material (not good for European material) and encode with constant quality rather than a fixed bitrate. I haven't done more than simple testing with it myself. I used CRF=21 which I find good for HD material, but I would recommend using CRF=19 for SD. Attached if you are interested.

update: Now that I think about how Handbrake works again, I don't think feeding it European material will in itself be a problem. Handbrake is smart enough to detect the pullup pattern. It simply cannot remove any blends created during the PAL-->NTSC conversion.
Forgot to add the large file flag to this encoding profile (-4), which will cause issues if the resulting mp4 file is larger than 4GB. Updated and attached.
Attached Files
File Type: txt hb_tivo_hd_crf.enc.txt (509 Bytes, 12 views)
Series2 540 400GB Seagate DB35 (lifetime)
txporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 02:22 AM   #2679
moyekj

Quote:
Forgot to add the large file flag to this encoding profile (-4), which will cause issues if the resulting mp4 file is larger than 4GB. Updated and attached.
OK thanks, I've committed this to SVN and will be part of next release.

Old 09-26-2010, 08:42 AM   #2680
txporter
One sec, almost done

Quote:
OK thanks, I've committed this to SVN and will be part of next release.
Thanks, Kevin. If you want to include a version for SD video, you can simply change the -q 21.0 to -q 19.0. At least, that is my recommendation for the value.
Old 09-26-2010, 12:33 PM   #2681
bwperez

I have spent a good deal of time trying to figure this out without success. I'm having problems while downloading shows from a Series 3 and a Premiere. Downloads are going great and then all of a sudden they break. When I try to restart the download or update the nowplaying list I get the following message:

http IO exception for: https://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/TiVoConnect?...AnchorOffset=0
Read timed out
Failed to retrieve Now Playing List from xxx

I've tried both curl, the updated curl and java for downloads. All three have the same problem. I can ping the tivo's IP address but if I try to hit the tivo directly in a browser it times out. Any ideas or suggestions?

I'm running kmttg v0p7o

Last edited by bwperez : 09-26-2010 at 12:43 PM. Reason: left off version
bwperez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 02:31 PM   #2682
moyekj

Reboot your TiVos and try again.

Old 09-26-2010, 03:32 PM   #2683
bwperez

I should have added that piece of information. Rebooting the Tivo's fixes the problem until the next download. I usually get 1 -2 shows from each before it hangs up again and requires another Tivo reboot.

update: The problem appears to be related to an issue on my network. I eliminated the switch in my electronics closet with a direct line to my computer room switch and everything is working perfectly now. Thanks for a fantastic piece of software!

Last edited by bwperez : 09-30-2010 at 06:58 AM.
bwperez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 04:05 AM   #2684
ferror

Ok, here is the error message regarding Java Downloads I have been meaning to capture and post:

http IO exception for: http://10.1.20.21:80/download/Cold%2...ing&id=2516125
Server returned HTTP response code: 503 for URL: http://10.1.20.21:80/download/Cold%2...ing&id=2516125
Download failed to file: F:\kmttg\tivo\Cold Case - Fireflies (09_21_2010 TNTHD).TiVo
Cold Case - Fireflies (09_21_2010 TNTHD).TiVo: Download attempt # 2 scheduled in 10 seconds.

We know "HTTP 503" means Unavailable, and I think we've seen this error when multiple downloads are attempted simultaneously. No other downloads were happening here, however. After it gets this error, the next download attempt gives Read timed out:

http IO exception for: http://10.1.20.21:80/download/CSI%20...ing&id=2516109
Read timed out
Download failed to file: F:\kmttg\tivo\CSI NY - Comes Around (09_21_2010 SPIKEHD).TiVo
CSI NY - Comes Around (09_21_2010 SPIKEHD).TiVo: Download attempt # 2 scheduled in 10 seconds.

After that, I have a javadownload task that says it is "running" but has no elapsed time or percentage progress. The task remains there indefinitely until killed.
ferror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 06:17 PM   #2685
moyekj

ferror, if you stick to curl downloads method only do you eventually run into failed downloads as well? As I've said before I've never had these persistent failed downloads from my TiVos so I don't have any experience with them. Sounds to me like people running into this problem can't download via web browser or any other means which tells me this is a TiVo web server issue and not much that can be done on client side... Either that or some local network issues causing problems.
I don't know if it makes any difference or in any way related but for my router even though I use DHCP I have router set to supply same IP all the time for every device on my network such that my TiVo IPs are always same - i.e. equivalent to static IP. If you use DHCP and TiVo IPs area possibly changing you may want to try static IP to see if that helps.

Old 09-28-2010, 05:24 AM   #2686
ferror

Quote:
ferror, if you stick to curl downloads method only do you eventually run into failed downloads as well? As I've said before I've never had these persistent failed downloads from my TiVos so I don't have any experience with them. Sounds to me like people running into this problem can't download via web browser or any other means which tells me this is a TiVo web server issue and not much that can be done on client side... Either that or some local network issues causing problems.
I don't know if it makes any difference or in any way related but for my router even though I use DHCP I have router set to supply same IP all the time for every device on my network such that my TiVo IPs are always same - i.e. equivalent to static IP. If you use DHCP and TiVo IPs area possibly changing you may want to try static IP to see if that helps.
Yes, my method of running curl seems to at least make it keep retrying until it gets all the files. My best bet for now is to just keep using this method until I have more time to troubleshoot this or the problem resolves itself. I just wanted to post the error so the info is known. I agree that it is unlikely anything that has not already been done with kmttg itself will fix it. I guess I am spoiled by Apache; a web server should be pretty basic stuff. It would be nice if it was more robust on the TiVo.

Last edited by ferror : 09-28-2010 at 05:29 AM.
ferror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 04:36 AM   #2687
ellinj
Seems Very Friendly

Only tangently related to kmttg, but does the hyperthreaded i7 make a much bigger improvement to encoding speed over the i5? Especially when comparing the i5 against a lower clock speed i7
ellinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 07:56 PM   #2688
keenanSR

I'm not sure if it was happening in previous versions, but with 7o the progress bar is not always showing, it just stays blank while the transfer is in progress, and it also does not show the percentage completed when the app is minimized to the tray.

Additional data. This happened, this time anyway, when I selected 2 shows for transfer, one right after the other. The earlier recorded show first, and then the later recorded show second. The second selection started to transfer instead of the first one I selected. Now that the first selected show is transferring, both the progress bar and the percentages in the header are working.

When the current transfer is done, I'm going to select 2 more, but wait awhile before choosing the second and see if that's the problem, maybe I'm selecting them too quickly.

Turns out that's what it is, selecting them too quickly for transfer seems to disable the progress bar and percentage readout on the first transfer and will transfer them out of order.

Last edited by keenanSR : 09-30-2010 at 12:20 PM.
keenanSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:21 PM   #2689
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Lately I have been trying to use auto-push videos to the tivo but it always end up in some error, but today, I found I need to start the auto-push service to be able to push.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:50 AM   #2690
shelleye

Help with VideoReDo Commercial Cut

Hello, and first of all, thank you for your wonderful wonderful program. I have recently started transferring many of my tivo'd shows to the computer, and cutting commercials, for use on our increasingly numerous handheld devices. WOW is this good. (Side question-- is there some way for us to make a donation? I would love to do so...)

At the moment I'm successfully running KMTTG as a service, downloading, decrypting and running comskip. But when I check my output folders and logs, I see that the comcut operations have not completed. Here are the entries that seem relevant:

2010_09_28_14:27:56 ERROR: adcut failed (exit code: 0 ) - check command: C:\Windows\system32\cscript.exe //nologo C:\KMTTG\VRD8298697307858015887.vbs "E:\Needs Transcode\Lone Star - One in Every Family (09_27_2010).VPrj" "E:\Needs Transcode\Lone Star - One in Every Family (09_27_2010)_cut.mpg" /l:C:\KMTTG\VRDLock7926543990689489490.tmp
2010_09_28_14:27:56 ERROR: C:\KMTTG\VRD8298697307858015887.vbs(25, 1) WScript.CreateObject: Could not create object named "VideoReDo.VideoReDoSilent".

.mpg .edl and .vprj files are all created.

So I opened the KMTTG GUI, added the .mpg files manually, and the cut operations performed perfectly. I have searched this thread and can't find my answer, which seems like it must be obvious. Any suggestions?

While I'm here: I have a custom profile that I created in Handbrake, which allows me to transcode to a format that is playable on the majority of my devices. Is there any way to get KMTTG to use a custom profile, rather than the standard ones?

Thanks again for the lovely program.
shelleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 02:22 PM   #2691
txporter
One sec, almost done

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelleye View Post
While I'm here: I have a custom profile that I created in Handbrake, which allows me to transcode to a format that is playable on the majority of my devices. Is there any way to get KMTTG to use a custom profile, rather than the standard ones?

Thanks again for the lovely program.
Yes, you can go into the kmttg/encode folder and look at the encoding profiles there. You can just copy one of those (maybe the hb_tivo_hd.enc) and edit it to match your profile in handbrake. Look here for instructions on how to set the appropriate flags in the HandbrakeCLI. If you look further back in the thread, you can see another handbrake profile that I created for kmttg. You can use those encoding profiles as examples to create your own.
Old 09-30-2010, 03:30 PM   #2692
shelleye

Thank you so much. I took a look at the encode folder, as well as the handbrake instructions, and found it hard to decipher. If it's not too difficult, would you mind giving me the command line translation of the profile I use? In the Handbrake GUI I select "web-optimized", set a constant width of 640, anamorphic to "none", cropping to "auto", decomb video filter to "default" (all others off), framerate 29.97, average bitrate 2500, audio aac with a bitrate of 160. I would COMPLETELY understand if this is too much work, but couldn't resist asking.
Old 09-30-2010, 04:18 PM   #2693
moyekj

Quote:
At the moment I'm successfully running KMTTG as a service, downloading, decrypting and running comskip. But when I check my output folders and logs, I see that the comcut operations have not completed. Here are the entries that seem relevant:

2010_09_28_14:27:56 ERROR: adcut failed (exit code: 0 ) - check command: C:\Windows\system32\cscript.exe //nologo C:\KMTTG\VRD8298697307858015887.vbs "E:\Needs Transcode\Lone Star - One in Every Family (09_27_2010).VPrj" "E:\Needs Transcode\Lone Star - One in Every Family (09_27_2010)_cut.mpg" /l:C:\KMTTG\VRDLock7926543990689489490.tmp
2010_09_28_14:27:56 ERROR: C:\KMTTG\VRD8298697307858015887.vbs(25, 1) WScript.CreateObject: Could not create object named "VideoReDo.VideoReDoSilent".
You should setup the service to run as same user name as you run GUI (by default service does not use your account). See following for details:
http://code.google.com/p/kmttg/wiki/..._configuration

Old 09-30-2010, 04:22 PM   #2694
txporter
One sec, almost done

Quote:
Thank you so much. I took a look at the encode folder, as well as the handbrake instructions, and found it hard to decipher. If it's not too difficult, would you mind giving me the command line translation of the profile I use? In the Handbrake GUI I select "web-optimized", set a constant width of 640, anamorphic to "none", cropping to "auto", decomb video filter to "default" (all others off), framerate 29.97, average bitrate 2500, audio aac with a bitrate of 160. I would COMPLETELY understand if this is too much work, but couldn't resist asking.
Do you know what the base preset that you started with was when you created the profile? Normal profile or maybe iPod Legacy or something like that? I can probably come up with something. If you started with the "Normal" preset, it will look something like this:
Code:
HANDBRAKE -i INPUT --cpu CPU_CORES --preset="Normal" -4 -5 -O -b 2500 -r 29.97 -w 640 -v -o OUTPUT
That does everything that you asked for except for possibly the anamorphic "none". That sets it to strick anamorphic which I think is likely different. Also, the "Normal" preset has a default encoding profile value of -q 20.0 which is quality based encoding rather than targeting a bitrate. I think my -b 2500 will override that, but I am not positive.
Old 09-30-2010, 05:49 PM   #2695
shelleye

Quote:
You should setup the service to run as same user name as you run GUI (by default service does not use your account). See following for details:
http://code.google.com/p/kmttg/wiki/..._configuration
Thank you. I'm sure that will solve my problem, and I will go play with my VRD settings as soon as I'm back at my regular computer.

Searched and searched the wikki and this thread for a way to donate something, and can't find one. I agree with earlier poster, who said, at least let us donate something to charity. I love how light and efficient this is. Every time I install Tivo Desktop (which I haven't run for years), my whole system slows to a crawl or crashes. You are a hero. (To those of us who preoccupy ourselves with such things. )
Old 09-30-2010, 05:51 PM   #2696
shelleye

Quote:
Do you know what the base preset that you started with was when you created the profile? Normal profile or maybe iPod Legacy or something like that? I can probably come up with something. If you started with the "Normal" preset, it will look something like this:
Code:
HANDBRAKE -i INPUT --cpu CPU_CORES --preset="Normal" -4 -5 -O -b 2500 -r 29.97 -w 640 -v -o OUTPUT
That does everything that you asked for except for possibly the anamorphic "none". That sets it to strick anamorphic which I think is likely different. Also, the "Normal" preset has a default encoding profile value of -q 20.0 which is quality based encoding rather than targeting a bitrate. I think my -b 2500 will override that, but I am not positive.
Ah, THANK you. I don't remember what I started with, probably normal, but if not I will just play with it and see how it turns out. This will at least help me get started, as I can map my GUI settings to the command line settings you suggested.
Old 09-30-2010, 06:08 PM   #2697
larrs
Movie Fan-Addict

Weird behavior solved...may help someone else

i was having a problem with one of my new Premieres where I was getting error code 52 error retrieving NPL from the new Tivo (happened at least 5 times over two days I tried). Interestingly enough I had no problem connecting to it from Tivo Desktop...but I did notice the TDT was really slow loading the NPL from that Tivo, even slower than my S3 which is connected with wireless g. So, I started looking at the tivo and discovered the ethernet cable was pulled really tight and the connector was almost pulled out of the Tivo. I also went in and changed the network settings to make the tivo get a new IP from the DHCP, but it came back with the same IP.

Back at kmttg, I deleted the Tivo and re-added it manually rather than through auto discovery as usual. Voila. It worked and retrieved the NPL almost instantly.

Since I did several things, (I know you should only try one at a time to pinpoint the exact cause) I thought I'd post just in case it might help someone. I tend to think it was the ethernet connection since TDT also connects to it much faster now.

(1) Elite
(3) Premieres
(1) HD
(1) Mini
I run
with
and
larrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 01:13 AM   #2698
WrathWielder

kmttg - failed transfer due to char in show name?

Hi all!

I started a new thread for this, but someone suggested I would get better results posting in here
I've seen several posts similar to my problem, but they really didn't answer the question directly before drifting off onto other topics, so...
------------------------------------------------

I've run into a strange problem...

Everything transfers from my TiVo Premier to my PC exceptionally well (and much faster with the Premier!) except one particular show.

I think the single-quote in the title is hosing up the curl command.

The show name is "Totally '80s"

kmttg drops the apostrophe when naming the directory and .Tivo file, but the url that curl requests still has it:
-----------------------------------------------------------------
>> DOWNLOADING I:\\Totally 80s\Totally 80s (09_12_2010) 05_00.TiVo ...

c:\cygwin\bin\curl.exe --retry 3 --anyauth --globoff --user tivo:MAK --insecure --cookie-jar C:\Users\gli\AppData\Local\Temp\cookie1731589126803249891.tm p --url xttp://192.168.0.12:80/download/Totally%20'80s.TiVo?Container=%2FNowPlaying&id=180079 --output "I:\\Totally 80s\Totally 80s (09_12_2010) 05_00.TiVo"

Download failed to file: I:\\Totally 80s\Totally 80s (09_12_2010) 05_00.TiVo
Exit code: 52

curl: (52) Empty reply from server
------------------------------------------------------------

I assume this is what's causing the problem, as the shows I queued up BEFORE and AFTER the '80s worked fine.

Any ideas on how to transfer a show named this way?

Thanks everyone!

-Greg

kmttg: v0p7m
curl: 7.20.1

P.S. I changed the http to xttp in the curl command since I can't post links yet
WrathWielder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 02:09 AM   #2699
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrathWielder View Post
<snip>I think the single-quote in the title is hosing up the curl command.<snip>
Apostrophe in URL is perfectly fine, so that's not the problem. As an example here's a show with an apostrophe in URL which downloads fine using kmttg & curl:
Code:
"C:\home\kmttg java testing\curl\curl.exe" --retry 3 --anyauth --globoff --user tivo:MAK --insecure --cookie-jar C:\Users\Kevin\AppData\Local\Temp\cookie1791762406254178199.tmp --url http://192.168.1.107:80/download/It's%20Always%20Sunny%20in%20Philadelphia.TiVo?Container=%2FNowPlaying&id=3559346 --output "C:\home\dvd\Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Gang Buys a Boat (09_30_2010).TiVo"
It's more likely some issue with that particular recording. Try and download it with a web browser to see what happens.

Old 10-01-2010, 03:16 AM   #2700
WrathWielder

Quote:
Apostrophe in URL is perfectly fine, so that's not the problem. As an example here's a show with an apostrophe in URL which downloads fine using kmttg & curl:
Code:
"C:\home\kmttg java testing\curl\curl.exe" --retry 3 --anyauth --globoff --user tivo:MAK --insecure --cookie-jar C:\Users\Kevin\AppData\Local\Temp\cookie1791762406254178199.tmp --url xttp://192.168.1.107:80/download/It's%20Always%20Sunny%20in%20Philadelphia.TiVo?Container=%2FNowPlaying&id=3559346 --output "C:\home\dvd\Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Gang Buys a Boat (09_30_2010).TiVo"
It's more likely some issue with that particular recording. Try and download it with a web browser to see what happens.
Strange! I was sure that was it - just a coincidence I guess
Or could it be that MY apostrophe FOLLOWED a space (%20') and yours was between 2 chars? Just thinking out loud

Can I ask what version of curl you are using?

I'm curious because here's what I just discovered...

Curl 7.20.1 is what I was using originally (full cygwin install), and it will not download the shows with the apostrophes.
I switched to curl 7.18.0 and it now works! They're transferring even as I speak

Haven't tried 7.16.3 (which I believe is the latest version available at xttp://code.google.com/p/kmttg/downloads/list where the latest kmttg is)

I guess I'll stick with 7.18.0 - not sure why I switched...I guess I fell into the "latest version MUST be better" mindset, but I do recall now reading something about how the full cygwin version doesn't have some kmttg "tweaks" of some kind that the other stripped down .DLL - only versions have (or something along those lines) Maybe that's the problem...?

Thanks!

-Greg
WrathWielder is offline   Reply With Quote