Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-28-2010, 07:21 AM   #811
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Wish I could help you out, but I haven't used MFSlive for a very long time, so I've paid zero attention. A PM to bkdtv might get you the info you need. If not I'm sure Spike at MFSlive.org has the knowledge if you can squeeze it out of him. Or one if the gurus here may come to the rescue.

Best of luck!
Thank you sir!
I was thinking that one of the harddrive upgrade providers would have the info readily available, but PMs to them have so far gone unanswered. I'll head over to MFSLive.org and try there, as well as giving bkdtv a PM.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

orangeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 07:57 AM   #812
RichB

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex50 View Post
I am looking to replace my premiere's fan as well. Please let us know what replacement you wind up using. If you know the type of fan we should be using (is it 70mm? what depth? tail?), please do post. Thanks.
The stock fan is a cofan 50mmx25mm. I cannot find that fan.
It seems to have increased the noise level. It now has a clicking sound.
My other Premieres are much quieter.

The fan uses a two pin connector but you can use a 3 pin fan.

- Rich
RichB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 09:43 AM   #813
Shagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbell73 View Post
Really? My Cable Card experiences with Cox Communications have been phenomenal recently. Last visit was maybe 3-5 minutes pop in the M-Card, quick call to their service depot, and then the Cable guy was on his way.

No problems. Original Series 3 and HD took a little longer, but these Premiere's have really just been 5 minute visits.

Maybe I'm lucky, or they are finally figuring the process out.

-JBell73
Hmmm - well, I think you already nailed it when you uttered "Cox Communications". Comcast is not nearly as skilled at the 'headend' IMO. My installer was up to speed, but either they borked the set up of the 1st cable card or it was bad, since we went through 2. They finally figured it out upstream and all was well.
Shagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 12:02 PM   #814
Bai Shen
Toboggan noggin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagger View Post
Hmmm - well, I think you already nailed it when you uttered "Cox Communications". Comcast is not nearly as skilled at the 'headend' IMO. My installer was up to speed, but either they borked the set up of the 1st cable card or it was bad, since we went through 2. They finally figured it out upstream and all was well.
Yeah. I never thought I would utter the words "I miss Cox Communications", but Comcast has me doing that almost weekly.

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Bai Shen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 02:18 PM   #815
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post

If you find time, can you post the manufacture date of the hard drive you receive and if you had to adjust the Intellipark feature? TIA.
Drive is here, 2TB AV-GP. Manufacture date Aug 5 2010.

How do I test if I need intellipark? Just do the Comer CD, then after it boots up try to initiate a software "Restart the TiVo DVR" ?

Z
Old 09-28-2010, 02:33 PM   #816
comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zordude View Post
Drive is here, 2TB AV-GP. Manufacture date Aug 5 2010.

How do I test if I need intellipark? Just do the Comer CD, then after it boots up try to initiate a software "Restart the TiVo DVR" ?

Z
Yes. I would suggest disabling IntelliPark even if it does not hang. On some drives IntelliPark causes Load Cycle Count to increase rapidly beyond warranty threshold. It should have been fixed in firmware by WD, but I think it's safer to just disable it. For details see here: WD and Seagate take steps to fix terabyte drives and the thread it points to.

The old command-line guide is
comer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 03:47 PM   #817
hotoru

Quote:
Originally Posted by comer View Post
Yes. I would suggest disabling IntelliPark even if it does not hang. On some drives IntelliPark causes Load Cycle Count to increase rapidly beyond warranty threshold. It should have been fixed in firmware by WD.....
Does the WD20EVDS have the intellipark "feature"? I do not see it listed in product description.
hotoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 03:52 PM   #818
comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotoru View Post
Does the WD20EVDS have the intellipark "feature"? I do not see it listed in product description.
From WD:
Quote:
Reduced Power Consumption - WD has reduced power consumption by up to 40 percent compared to competitors' drives with the combination of WD's IntelliSeek, IntelliPark, and IntelliPower technologies.

Old 09-28-2010, 03:54 PM   #819
cr33p

Comer
I just upgraded a friends premiere used the new iso disc you set up, awesome work btw. Anyhow, so I copied the drive, expanded, ran guided set up, ran a c&d everything, re ran guided set up, all seems well, tunes, sets up season passes, but wont record? Heard of any issues like this yet?
cr33p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 04:04 PM   #820
comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr33p View Post
Comer
I just upgraded a friends premiere used the new iso disc you set up, awesome work btw. Anyhow, so I copied the drive, expanded, ran guided set up, ran a c&d everything, re ran guided set up, all seems well, tunes, sets up season passes, but wont record? Heard of any issues like this yet?
So how many times did you expand? I counted 3
I've had some issues like that myself with earlier versions (i.e. during testing) when I created 2 partitions instead of 1. My Tivo actually tried to record, but "hang" in recording state - it showed that two shows are been recorded, but did it forever, never ended and those shows could not be played.

Old 09-28-2010, 05:08 PM   #821
hotoru

Quote:
Reduced Power Consumption - WD has reduced power consumption by up to 40 percent compared to competitors' drives with the combination of WD's IntelliSeek, IntelliPark, and IntelliPower technologies.
[/url]:
Ahh, sorry, missed that..... Thanks
Old 09-28-2010, 05:14 PM   #822
hotoru

Thumbs up

Quote:
Was thinking of the WD20EARS from Amazon but doesnt look like would be too easy to do this on a mac. I have an older windows XP and a Ubuntu laptops. I should be able to put drive in a external enclosure and flash firmware via USB on the windows laptop? Or should I stick with WD20EVDS? Is it worth the extra $35?
TIA
Pulled the trigger and just ordered WD20EARS from Amazon. Should be here tomorrow (Amazon prime ) hopefully will be able to disable the intellipark using my scrap windows laptop and copy using Comer's voodoo magic CD

Last edited by hotoru : 09-28-2010 at 05:14 PM. Reason: correction
Old 09-28-2010, 05:36 PM   #823
Bill McNeal

Having some problems connecting the drives using SATA/USB adapter. Do you have to have both drives connected simultaneously for jmfs to see them?

Tested this out using the WD EARS drive expansion drive only connected via SATA/USB adapter to my laptop, booting to comer's CD. I didn't connect the Tivo drive yet, so it was not detected. However, the fdisk -l command did not show the connected expansion 2 TB disk. (There may not be a point for me to get a second SATA/USB adapter to connect the Tivo drive if my jmfs boot CD doesn't recognize even one of them.)
Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 05:54 PM   #824
NYHeel

Quote:
Pulled the trigger and just ordered WD20EARS from Amazon. Should be here tomorrow (Amazon prime ) hopefully will be able to disable the intellipark using my scrap windows laptop and copy using Comer's voodoo magic CD
How would you disable intellipark using a laptop? I thought you needed to use an actual sata connector and not a usb/sata connector.
NYHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 06:21 PM   #825
comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McNeal View Post
Having some problems connecting the drives using SATA/USB adapter. Do you have to have both drives connected simultaneously for jmfs to see them?

Tested this out using the WD EARS drive expansion drive only connected via SATA/USB adapter to my laptop, booting to comer's CD. I didn't connect the Tivo drive yet, so it was not detected. However, the fdisk -l command did not show the connected expansion 2 TB disk. (There may not be a point for me to get a second SATA/USB adapter to connect the Tivo drive if my jmfs boot CD doesn't recognize even one of them.)
Since you need to copy one disk to another - both must be connected simultaneously.
Did you try a few times to look for 2T drive in a few seconds interval? It takes sometime for system to recognize a new USB connection. Does the native system on that machine see the drive connected? One of reasons could be a bad adapter or connection...

Old 09-28-2010, 07:16 PM   #826
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
Using wdidle3 1.05 on a WD20EVDS dated August 5 2010:

wdidle3 /S0 gives me a syntax error (just brings up the sytnax help)

wdidle3 /D gave a return of "Idle 3 timer is disabled". Confirmed with wdidle3 /r

Z
Old 09-28-2010, 07:47 PM   #827
hotoru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYHeel View Post
How would you disable intellipark using a laptop? I thought you needed to use an actual sata connector and not a usb/sata connector.
Umm, well now I am not sure. Was hoping I could disable using USB to SATA. I posted question before but no one replied. Any suggestions?
Old 09-28-2010, 07:57 PM   #828
comer

Quote:
Umm, well now I am not sure. Was hoping I could disable using USB to SATA. I posted question before but no one replied. Any suggestions?
I am not sure if you can do it on your laptop, but on mine I simply take out HDD. It's connectors are accessible from outside and they are regular SATA conectors - power and data. To boot from WD tools CD you don't need an internal HDD.

Oh, and I use extention cable like this

Last edited by comer : 09-28-2010 at 08:19 PM.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:53 PM   #829
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
Public Service Announcement:

If you do your upgrade, and after you plug everything in you get no video and all the lights on the front of the TiVo just flash - take a deep breath, open the case again, and plug the hard drive in and try again.

Z
Old 09-29-2010, 12:41 AM   #830
richsadams

Quote:
Using wdidle3.exe requires a direct SATA connection, either via the motherboard or some folks have used a PCI/SATA card.

I never thought about pulling the hard drive on a laptop as comer suggests. It's remotely possible that it could work, but I suspect it won't.

That said, it's quite possible that if the drive was manufactured recently you may not need to do anything. The only way to find out would be to upgrade and then try a menu restart. If TiVo hangs at the "Welcome! Powering up..." screen you'd need to find someone with a PC that has a SATA port or you could just live with it I suppose (power cycling TiVo after the occasional update).
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 12:42 AM   #831
richsadams

Quote:

If you do your upgrade, and after you plug everything in you get no video and all the lights on the front of the TiVo just flash - take a deep breath, open the case again, and plug the hard drive in and try again.

Z
Been there...done that.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:53 AM   #832
hotoru

Question WD Intellipark Disable and upgrade via laptop instructions via TiVo Newbee

Quote:
I am not sure if you can do it on your laptop, but on mine I simply take out HDD. It's connectors are accessible from outside and they are regular SATA conectors - power and data. To boot from WD tools CD you don't need an internal HDD.[/url]
ahh, thanks for tip. Just so I am clear, you:
remove the laptops 2.5 SATA drive then using the extention cable
connect the new TiVo 3.5 SATA drive to be the laptops new primary.
Then boot from the WD tools CD in laptop CD Drive.
Using said tool, disable the intellipark feature.
Then attach old TiVo drive via USB/SATA. Reboot laptop using your jmfs live CD.
It should clone old TiVo HD to New Tivo HD over 2-4 hours per your guide. (Does it auto recognize source and destination drives?).
Then I remove the new (2TB) tivo drive, reinstall in Tivo, reboot, and wait for the magic (Hopefully my old laptop is SATA).
Thanks for your patience.

Last edited by hotoru : 09-29-2010 at 06:54 AM. Reason: increase clarity
Old 09-29-2010, 07:59 AM   #833
Bai Shen
Toboggan noggin

Quote:

Z

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:59 AM   #834
Bai Shen
Toboggan noggin

Am I the only one who keeps reading wdidle as wdiddle?

Old 09-29-2010, 08:42 AM   #835
comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bai Shen View Post
Am I the only one who keeps reading wdidle as wdiddle?
I don't read it, I perceive it as an image

Old 09-29-2010, 08:48 AM   #836
comer

Quote:
Just so I am clear, you...
Yep, you got that right Good luck!

Old 09-29-2010, 10:40 AM   #837
jbell73

Quote:
Using wdidle3 1.05 on a WD20EVDS dated August 5 2010:

wdidle3 /S0 gives me a syntax error (just brings up the sytnax help)

wdidle3 /D gave a return of "Idle 3 timer is disabled". Confirmed with wdidle3 /r

Z
Good point. The version was I using "WDIDLE3 Version 1.03" and required "/S 0" to get the function to be completely disabled.

It's good to have both options ready to try. I got my version from WD's site about 3 weeks back but it's dated 8/28/2009.
jbell73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 01:15 AM   #838
richsadams

Quote:
ahh, thanks for tip. Just so I am clear, you:
remove the laptops 2.5 SATA drive then using the extention cable
connect the new TiVo 3.5 SATA drive to be the laptops new primary.
Then boot from the WD tools CD in laptop CD Drive.
Using said tool, disable the intellipark feature.
Then attach old TiVo drive via USB/SATA. Reboot laptop using your jmfs live CD.
It should clone old TiVo HD to New Tivo HD over 2-4 hours per your guide. (Does it auto recognize source and destination drives?).
Then I remove the new (2TB) tivo drive, reinstall in Tivo, reboot, and wait for the magic (Hopefully my old laptop is SATA).
Thanks for your patience.
If you can get that to work you'll join the TiVo Pioneer's Club (most recent inductee was Comer ). Best of luck and let us know how it goes!
Old 09-30-2010, 05:37 AM   #839
hotoru

WDidle3 ok for use with WD20EARS?

Quote:
Using wdidle3 1.05 on a WD20EVDS dated August 5 2010:.......
Z
Just noting from WD pageWD page for WDidle3 software

Quote:
"This utility is designed to upgrade the firmware of the following hard drives: WD1000FYPS-01ZKB0, WD7500AYPS-01ZKB0, WD7501AYPS-01ZKB0.

CAUTION: Do not attempt to run this software on any hard drives other than what is listed above. Please make sure that the computer system is not turned off during the firmware upgrade. Doing so may damage the hard drive beyond repair and your data may be lost."
Noticed that WD20EARS is not on the list. Is your WD20EARS working after using the WDidle3?
Thanks,

Last edited by hotoru : 09-30-2010 at 05:38 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 09-30-2010, 06:27 AM   #840
hotoru

Help with WDidle3

Quote:
... To boot from WD tools CD you don't need an internal HDD....
Ok, I have the WDEARS 2TB Drive. I dug up an old case with MOBO and CD drive. I am having trouble booting to a CD to run the WDidle3 program. I think I have a BIOS problem with the old box as I am getting a CMS checksum error and the bios is having trouble recognizing the SATA drive.

The WDidle3 page indicates you need to boot to a CD or floppy. Does the WD Lifeguard CD allow you to access a command prompt? Or do I need a Win 95/DOS bootable CD? If I can boot to WD CD and get command prompt then I could probably plug in the WD20EARS drive using an external eSATA plug and it should work to flash.... maybe
Thanks,