TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-16-2010, 03:42 PM   #1
adamshipley

Software Version 11.0j

I noticed that I had a pending restart this afternoon and my series3 was upgraded to 11.0j. I did a quick check around the menus and I don't see anything different.

Does anybody know what it adds or fixes?

Last edited by adamshipley : 09-16-2010 at 06:05 PM.
adamshipley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 04:33 PM   #2
steve614
what ru lookin at?

You're supposed to tell us. You're the one with new software.

Obviously TiVo has started the CS Ramp. Only a select portion of the users get the update at first so TiVo can see if there are ill effects without affecting everyone at once.
Last update, very few people posted until the software was fully released.

We know what needs to be fixed - grey screens on analog channels, and the reboot problem when you lose the network while watching Netflix, to name a couple.

We should know more in a couple of weeks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 05:23 PM   #3
DaveDFW

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
...We know what needs to be fixed - grey screens on analog channels, and the reboot problem when you lose the network while watching Netflix, to name a couple...
And a fix for Suggestions for those of us with TAs.
DaveDFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 05:59 PM   #4
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Did they skiip 11.0i ? Or did that go to another country?

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 06:03 PM   #5
steve614
what ru lookin at?

They probably skipped i so people wouldn't confuse it for an l or a 1, although I don't know why that would make a difference.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 06:31 PM   #6
adamshipley

The only issue I have seen with my Tivo is the Netflix rebooting.

I went and pulled the network cable while playing a movie. I came back 10 min later and plugged it back in. The tivo didn't reboot but was locked up. After waiting another 10 min. I had to pull the power cable to restart the tivo. So 11.0j didn't fix that issue.
adamshipley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 06:54 PM   #7
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

We just started CS Ramp for 11.0j, which should resolve persistent grey screens on analog channels and GSAS (green screen and screeching/siren)

We'll be reviewing all CS cases for a little longer than normal to see if this can be released to the wider audience. If we do roll, it will only take a few days to get to all S3 HD boxes, so there is no priority list to sign up for.

TiVoJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 07:09 PM   #8
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Thanks for the clarification, Jerry.

Any word on a fix for the "no suggestions" bug many of us are seeing?
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 06:37 AM   #9
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcady View Post

....or on the SDV tuning failures many of us see?

and
Old 09-17-2010, 08:37 AM   #10
Martin Tupper
Pontiff Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoJerry View Post
We just started CS Ramp for 11.0j, which should resolve persistent grey screens on analog channels and GSAS (green screen and screeching/siren)

We'll be reviewing all CS cases for a little longer than normal to see if this can be released to the wider audience. If we do roll, it will only take a few days to get to all S3 HD boxes, so there is no priority list to sign up for.
Jerry,

Thanks for the update (about the update).
Martin Tupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 03:13 PM   #11
dcstager
1st Gen Tivo Owner

Since series 3 and 4 tivos depend so much on reliable operation of the tuning adapter, that should be near the top of bug fix list. I have not experienced any bugs more serious than the SDV tuning issue, but in Austin at least, the problem is gone with the 1202 firmware update. Here's what my TA reports from the diagnostic screen:

PTV OS: Explorer1kg6 NGP OS
FLASH: STA1.0.0_1520_LR_F.1202
App(s) SARA v1.61.41.a101

I hope those are the right numbers the technical people need to know about.
dcstager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 07:18 PM   #12
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstager View Post
Since series 3 and 4 tivos depend so much on reliable operation of the tuning adapter, that should be near the top of bug fix list. I have not experienced any bugs more serious than the SDV tuning issue, but in Austin at least, the problem is gone with the 1202 firmware update. Here's what my TA reports from the diagnostic screen:

PTV OS: Explorer1kg6 NGP OS
FLASH: STA1.0.0_1520_LR_F.1202
App(s) SARA v1.61.41.a101

I hope those are the right numbers the technical people need to know about.
How recently did you get the .1202 firmware update? I think most Cisco TA's are on .1001 still. How certain are you the tuning failures went away with the .1202 update? I'm almost afraid to ask TWC Southwest Ohio about pushing a new update. When they first tried to push .1001 they killed all the TA's for a day. At least I got a $5 credit for loss of service.

and
Old 09-17-2010, 07:44 PM   #13
HerronScott

Quote:
Jerry,

That's great! My brother will be very happy as he still got these occassionally even after installing CableCards.

Any chance that you can give us any information on the cause and the fix? It didn't seem to affect the original S3 so something with the tuner and/or chipset?

Thanks!

Scott
HerronScott is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 03:09 PM   #14
dcstager
1st Gen Tivo Owner

I did not notice when the update occurred, but I think in August. Causal reasoning is always difficult, I can only say I have not had a missed SDV recording since around the same time. I didn't even check the firmware until the tuning adapter stopped working as a result of an outage that occurred here because of effects from hurricane Hermine. I had to unplug and replug in the tuning adapter and while checking it's operation, noticed the firmware update. The outage was on the evening of September 6 and I rebooted on September 7. I'd definitely demand the firmware update. This is the first time it's operated completely reliably since SDV was implemented. Since Tivo denys responsibility for the problem and won't include any retuning adjustments to workaround the problem, this is the only chance there is of fixing it.
Old 09-21-2010, 02:55 PM   #15
DaveDFW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcady View Post

One of my S3s has received the J update. The suggestions list is still empty.

I assume from Tivo's silence on this issue that they have no interest in correcting it.
Old 09-21-2010, 03:58 PM   #16
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDFW View Post

I assume from Tivo's silence on this issue that they have no interest in correcting it.
If you mean by TiVoJerry's silence, you read too much into it. I just haven't taken the opportunity to familiarize myself with that particular investigation and all of its intricacies enough to post a knowledgeable reply.

Old 09-21-2010, 04:18 PM   #17
bobdirt

well lets see from what i know that the 11.0j software update is supposed to fix the gray screening with HD and XL boxes that are affected by it as well as a green screen with siren that is annoying they have looking into this and they sent out this SW update to fix the gray screen issue all boxes should receive the update soon enough
bobdirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 05:31 PM   #18
DaveDFW

Quote:
If you mean by TiVoJerry's silence...
My comment wasn't directed at you personally--I appreciate having Tivo folks represented on the board.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:18 PM   #19
mattld1

By the "gray/black screen issue" are we referring to the issue several of us in Houston on Comcast (and any other providers) are experiencing where when we tune to 2-3 specific HD channels it causes the entire cable signal to go dead (i.e. put a gray/black screen up) with the only known fix being to restart the TiVo?
mattld1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:34 PM   #20
djwilso

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
How recently did you get the .1202 firmware update? I think most Cisco TA's are on .1001 still. How certain are you the tuning failures went away with the .1202 update? I'm almost afraid to ask TWC Southwest Ohio about pushing a new update. When they first tried to push .1001 they killed all the TA's for a day. At least I got a $5 credit for loss of service.
Here in Phoenix (Cox Cable), I have F.0901 on my TA with almost no issues other than every once in a great while all channels will go black, requiring a power cycle of the TA and TiVo to get signal back.

Tuning channels works with no problems, so I am very grateful.
djwilso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 04:27 PM   #21
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDFW View Post

I've found out a little more about the lack of Suggestions issue. I can't say much but suffice it to say that the issue is being worked on. I thought you would like to know.

Old 09-27-2010, 04:36 PM   #22
dcstager
1st Gen Tivo Owner

I've been putting the Series 3 through a lot of trial and error. The SDV tuning bug is still there when you are channel surfing manually. Some channels still require a tune up tune down key sequence to tune in the desired channel. However, all of my scheduled recordings have been occurring without a hitch. My machine hasn't missed one for months, and I'm assuming it has something to do with the 1202 firmware update, but there's no way to know. My best guess is that the bug has more to do with the infrastructure of the cable company's SDV distribution system or software.

Here in Austin we have very good Tivo savvy technical people, so I bet behind the scenes someone has worked on this from the inside at the local Time-Warner and just made sure they have updated and tweaked all the settings and software within their control. I'm going to guess that not all local cable operators are as concerned or making the effort to address this kind of problem that affects relatively few customers.

Now, if I can just get time warner to make a deal with the NFL network. It seems like the NFL HD channel is a glaring omission in the channel lineup. I've read all the wikipedia stuff about NFL channel demanding they get a spot on a basic cable channel or some deal killing restriction. But come on, let's try getting that channel again. Maybe one side or the other has softened.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:39 PM   #23
vectorcatch

TiVoJerry,

Just curious, but it seems like TiVo has suddenly has been dumping a little more effort into getting some long time issues fixed and seems to be responding to new ones (i.e. Premiere "out of memory") a little more quickly than in the past.

Has the software effort increased in this regard or is it in my head? Regardless, I wanted to let you know it is much appreciated.
vectorcatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:53 PM   #24
SCSIRAID

Quote:
I've found out a little more about the lack of Suggestions issue. I can't say much but suffice it to say that the issue is being worked on. I thought you would like to know.
Great news Jerry.... My S3 and THD havent recorded suggestions in a loooong time. My wife really misses the suggestions...

Thanks,
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:56 PM   #25
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstager View Post
I've been putting the Series 3 through a lot of trial and error. The SDV tuning bug is still there when you are channel surfing manually. Some channels still require a tune up tune down key sequence to tune in the desired channel. However, all of my scheduled recordings have been occurring without a hitch. My machine hasn't missed one for months, and I'm assuming it has something to do with the 1202 firmware update, but there's no way to know. My best guess is that the bug has more to do with the infrastructure of the cable company's SDV distribution system or software.

Here in Austin we have very good Tivo savvy technical people, so I bet behind the scenes someone has worked on this from the inside at the local Time-Warner and just made sure they have updated and tweaked all the settings and software within their control. I'm going to guess that not all local cable operators are as concerned or making the effort to address this kind of problem that affects relatively few customers.

Now, if I can just get time warner to make a deal with the NFL network. It seems like the NFL HD channel is a glaring omission in the channel lineup. I've read all the wikipedia stuff about NFL channel demanding they get a spot on a basic cable channel or some deal killing restriction. But come on, let's try getting that channel again. Maybe one side or the other has softened.
We still have the SDV tuning bug here in Raleigh. Doesnt happen all that often but missing a recording because the TiVo and TA cant get on the same frequency is frustrating. Dont know whose problem it is but TiVo could work around it very easily.
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 09:59 PM   #26
DaveDFW

Quote:
Great, thanks for the info!
Old 09-28-2010, 10:40 AM   #27
oViTynoT
Obvious Forum Lurker

...probably a final push to get to a point they won't get a lot of backlash for EOS'ing the box.
oViTynoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 01:43 PM   #28
dcstager
1st Gen Tivo Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSIRAID View Post
We still have the SDV tuning bug here in Raleigh. Doesnt happen all that often but missing a recording because the TiVo and TA cant get on the same frequency is frustrating. Dont know whose problem it is but TiVo could work around it very easily.
Of course as soon as I said I haven't missed a recording in months - the darn thing missed a recording this afternoon. I still have 11h. I was getting pretty hopeful there. I did a lot of dual SDV recording tests and everything and no problems. But, as soon as I post it's fixed, it turns out that it isn't.

What now?
Old 10-04-2010, 10:22 PM   #29
theguru1974

I've read this whole thread and still am not sure - is the 11j version supposed to fix the live TV freezing (black screen) issue on HD channels?
theguru1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:15 AM   #30
BigJimOutlaw

It's intended to fix a bug that causes analog channels to freeze or go to gray/black screens. Digital HD channels are unrelated to this particular fix.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote