TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-12-2010, 09:29 PM   #2911
bwall23

Big Grin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwall23 View Post
I didn't know and so was amazed that VRD TVSuite 4 QSFIX's a TiVo file. I'll have to look into it further, but looks like you can also do commercial cuts on a TiVo file and keep it in it's native format.
And it turns out that, yes, you can open a TiVo file, QSF and save as TiVo file, then open and process it using ad detective (manually adjust cut points if needed) and save it back in it's native TiVo format with all chunks/metadata/encryption intact. So it's possible to send native TiVo recordings to your computer, process them in their original TiVo wrapper and optionally get them back on your TiVo (could do this as TiVo, mpeg2, MP4, etc.).

Last edited by bwall23 : 09-13-2010 at 10:48 PM. Reason: clarification
bwall23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 05:07 PM   #2912
jbernardis

I just went through the exercise of porting pytivo to my ReadyNAS environment. In th eprocess, I also ported the imaging library. I must have made a mistake though, because I can't see any pictures. I instead get the "broken picture" icon that indicates there is a problem. Also, for each picture, I see the following in the log file:

Resize failed on /media/Pictures/1940s and before/PD_0034.JPG -- decoder jpeg not available

I don't recall seeing any issues when I built the imaging library. Do you have any suggestions as to how I can figure out what's missing here?
1 Win7 HTPC with Ceton Quad Tuner

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

jbernardis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 06:57 PM   #2913
jbernardis

Problem solved!!

I had to completely remove the PIL, and then apt-get libjpeg62 libjpeg62-dev libfreetype6 and libfreetype6-dev. After this I was able to build the PIL again and all was well.
1 Win7 HTPC with Ceton Quad Tuner

jbernardis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 07:57 PM   #2914
TBoons
I dunno

I've got a weird issue, forgive me if it already discussed. I did a search for 'delete' and found a few hints, but nothing that was my problem.

I have a movie "The Union" that has been in my NPL for about 3 months. It will not go away. It has a blue "transferring" icon next to it, I can go in to it and choose "Stop Transfer" but it doesn't stop. It stays there. I can not play this firm either. Anyone know how I can get this out without doing a total delete of all my recordings?
TBoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:36 PM   #2915
pmiranda

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBoons View Post
I have a movie "The Union" that has been in my NPL for about 3 months. It will not go away. It has a blue "transferring" icon next to it, I can go in to it and choose "Stop Transfer" but it doesn't stop. It stays there. I can not play this firm either. Anyone know how I can get this out without doing a total delete of all my recordings?
Tried restarting PyTiVo and/or your TiVo?
pmiranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 10:06 PM   #2916
TBoons
I dunno

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmiranda View Post
Tried restarting PyTiVo and/or your TiVo?
Ya... I have tried all that. Like I said, it has been on there for months. Tivo and PC have been restarted tons of times since then.

I am really convinced it is just stuck there. I was hoping maybe someone had a magic trick to get it out. It is WAY down on my NPL, so I rarely see it. It is just taking up 13GB of space.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:14 PM   #2917
pmiranda

Does the broken transfer keep you from doing other transfers? If so, I guess just ignore the dumb thing until you happen to get down to just a few recordings that you don't mind deleting (or can actually transfer off to the PC temporarily...good luck if you're on Time Warner) to try and nuke the whole unit.
pmiranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 10:27 PM   #2918
TBoons
I dunno

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmiranda View Post
Does the broken transfer keep you from doing other transfers? If so, I guess just ignore the dumb thing until you happen to get down to just a few recordings that you don't mind deleting (or can actually transfer off to the PC temporarily...good luck if you're on Time Warner) to try and nuke the whole unit.
All other transfer work flawlessly.

Guess I could transfer to PC anything I wanted to keep and nuke it.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:30 AM   #2919
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Is the movie in question actually present in one of the pyTivo video shares? If so -- remove it or rename it, then restart pyTivo and the TiVo. (I'd do it this way: stop pyTivo, unplug the TiVo, move the file, restart pyTivo, then plug the TiVo back in.)

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 06:29 AM   #2920
gedaso

This is a bit of an odd request, but I was hoping someone could help...

I've just gotten interested in pyTivo and tried to get it installed by downloading one of the pre-packaged windows binaries from the pyTivo discussion forum on sourceforge. However when I visit any page at that site, all I get is a message that "You have been banned from this forum. Please contact the webmaster or board administrator for more information."

Which is kinda odd seeing as I have never been on that site before

Unfortunately, seeing as I am apparently banned, I can't access any page which might direct me to the webmaster or board admin so that I could try to get this resolved. Can anyone provide with an email address for them ?

thanks
Geoff
gedaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 01:32 PM   #2921
m_jonis

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
Try these instructions to walk you through:

http://scottsoapbox.com/2010/04/20/p...-instructions/

There is no up to date windows installer or exe file. Its a Python program that runs on multiple operating systems. You install the python interpreter for windows and then the pyTivo system runs in a command line window.
I think his point (and I'm seeing this too) is that those instructions you reference tell you to download python (they give you a link), and if you go to that link, you will download Python 2.7

Those same instructions on Scott's site then have you download the "installer" version of PyTivo which apparently only detects or works with Python 2.4-2.6 and nothing else.

At least I cannot seem to find a newer "installer" version so it seems will have to back-rev Python to 2.6.x in order to follow Scott's instructions.
m_jonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 01:39 PM   #2922
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

gedaso, it sounds like it's your IP address that's blocked. Presumably you're using an IP that was previously used by a spammer.

Old 09-25-2010, 04:37 PM   #2923
m_jonis

I just finished setting up PyTivo (mcbrine version) on Windows XP SP3 Pro.

Here's what's strange:

I run the console version for debugging. It (the pyTivo server) sees my 4 Tivo's. My Series2 DT Tivos see the: My Videos folder in the NPL, along with the one video I put into said folder.

But none of my Tivo HD (two of them) see the My Videos folder in the NPL.

????

A few other questions/observations:
Cannot seem to use Python 2.7 as per Scott's website (you have to use 2.6.x and then the installer and then upgrade).

For some strange reason the PyTivo SERVICE doesn't work with mapped drives. Not referring to UNC path access, but I mean you have logged into the windows OS, manually mapped a drive, and then start the PyTivo service. Perhaps it's a python issue as we do this all the time with our Windows servers at work and none of the "local system" services seem to have a problem accessing mapped drives (provided we have already authenticated). But for now, I can live with the console version.

Just puzzled as to why only the TivoHD units cannot see the My Videos (I don't even see the browsing request on the console when the TivoHD tries to look for it. But the Series2 DT units DO show up).
Old 09-25-2010, 08:50 PM   #2924
Rdian06

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_jonis View Post
I just finished setting up PyTivo (mcbrine version) on Windows XP SP3 Pro.

Here's what's strange:

I run the console version for debugging. It (the pyTivo server) sees my 4 Tivo's. My Series2 DT Tivos see the: My Videos folder in the NPL, along with the one video I put into said folder.

But none of my Tivo HD (two of them) see the My Videos folder in the NPL.

????

A few other questions/observations:
Cannot seem to use Python 2.7 as per Scott's website (you have to use 2.6.x and then the installer and then upgrade).

For some strange reason the PyTivo SERVICE doesn't work with mapped drives. Not referring to UNC path access, but I mean you have logged into the windows OS, manually mapped a drive, and then start the PyTivo service. Perhaps it's a python issue as we do this all the time with our Windows servers at work and none of the "local system" services seem to have a problem accessing mapped drives (provided we have already authenticated). But for now, I can live with the console version.

Just puzzled as to why only the TivoHD units cannot see the My Videos (I don't even see the browsing request on the console when the TivoHD tries to look for it. But the Series2 DT units DO show up).
Yeah, for some reason the mechanics behind the pyTivo service in the Windows installer won't recognize mapped drives. You have to use a UNC path AND set the service to login with credentials that allow access to the UNC path as well as login to the local system. I'd imagine it has to do with old APIs, but I've never really looked at it very hard.

Works on Windows, Mac and Linux.
Rdian06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 08:59 PM   #2925
m_jonis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdian06 View Post
Yeah, for some reason the mechanics behind the pyTivo service in the Windows installer won't recognize mapped drives. You have to use a UNC path AND set the service to login with credentials that allow access to the UNC path as well as login to the local system. I'd imagine it has to do with old APIs, but I've never really looked at it very hard.
Thanks for the info.

So I've narrowed down the symptom with the My Videos folder, but not sure why. It seems that after a fresh install, any Tivo I go to will see the folder, but the minute one of them accesses it (I go into the "My Videos" folder to see the one .mpg file), once I exit out, then none of my Tivos will see that folder again.

Almost as if the PyTivo server is a "use once". Which is quite bizarre.

Is PyTivo normally this flakey? I mean the default config seems fairly obvious.
Old 09-25-2010, 09:04 PM   #2926
Rdian06

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_jonis View Post
Thanks for the info.

So I've narrowed down the symptom with the My Videos folder, but not sure why. It seems that after a fresh install, any Tivo I go to will see the folder, but the minute one of them accesses it (I go into the "My Videos" folder to see the one .mpg file), once I exit out, then none of my Tivos will see that folder again.

Almost as if the PyTivo server is a "use once". Which is quite bizarre.

Is PyTivo normally this flakey? I mean the default config seems fairly obvious.
Make sure you have the UDP 5353 firewall rule allowing outbound AND inbound.

Also, some home routers are known to do funny things to the multicast DNS beaconing. On some Linksys models, the switch to enable multicast really means disable it. Some have reversed the setting in their router to get Tivo discovery working stably. However, if your router is the problem, it also affects MRV discovery between the Tivos themselves.

Power cycling your network equipment and the Tivos to clear all the ARP tables and get the speed negotiation right also doesn't hurt if you think you've got everything else set right.

Old 10-02-2010, 08:46 AM   #2927
rassi

I have been a long-time user of PyTiVo - probably 3 yrs or so.... Just in the last week or so transfers from my PC to our HDTiVo have become horribly slow. It might take 8 hrs now to transfer a 24 min sitcom.

I have tried rebooting both the TiVo and the PC. I've also tried uninstalling Python and pyTiVo and reinstalling them. Sadly, there is still no joy in mudville. We used to be able to transfer most shows and watch them real-time. Now that's impossible.

What do we need to do to figure out what the problem is???
rassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 09:42 AM   #2928
m_jonis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdian06 View Post
Make sure you have the UDP 5353 firewall rule allowing outbound AND inbound.

Also, some home routers are known to do funny things to the multicast DNS beaconing. On some Linksys models, the switch to enable multicast really means disable it. Some have reversed the setting in their router to get Tivo discovery working stably. However, if your router is the problem, it also affects MRV discovery between the Tivos themselves.

Power cycling your network equipment and the Tivos to clear all the ARP tables and get the speed negotiation right also doesn't hurt if you think you've got everything else set right.
Well got it to work by simply shutting off the windows XP firewall. Not sure why it would work once with the firewall and then not again (every time you stop/start the PyTivo service it would work once). Especially since the port for the firewall was in the firewall exceptions. If memory serves, the XP firewall doesn't actually block inbound traffic, it's the outbound stuff.

But whatever it's going now so that's all that matters.
Old 10-02-2010, 06:47 PM   #2929
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by rassi View Post
Just in the last week or so transfers from my PC to our HDTiVo have become horribly slow. It might take 8 hrs now to transfer a 24 min sitcom.
I would guess that this is a network problem. Wired or wireless?

Try pinging the TiVo from the PC.

Old 10-06-2010, 05:12 PM   #2930
Phantom Gremlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
I would guess that this is a network problem. Wired or wireless?

Try pinging the TiVo from the PC.
Also, try power cycling all other equipment (such as Ethernet switches, wireless access points, etc). Don't just focus on the PC and TiVo. There are (unfortunately) many other failure points. E.g. I have an Apple Extreme Base Station wireless access point which is normally very reliable. But about 2x a year the network access from one computer connected wirelessly becomes very slow. Rebooting the computer doesn't help, but power cycling the access point fixes the problem.
Phantom Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 12:29 AM   #2931
seths17

wmcbrine (or other pytivo super users): Help please!

Long time lurker and pytivo user.

Have recently been running into trouble transferring (pulling from the TiVo interface) .ts files. Most of these are sporting events. I can usually get one half of the game (in one .ts file) to transfer no problems. The other half I only get a partial transfer. The first several minutes of the partial transfer looks and sounds great. The partial transfers never make it beyond 3-7 minutes.

This has happened quite a lot all with .ts files. MKVs seem to be (and have always been) fine.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm dying to watch this match.

My simple (2 line) metadata file looks like this:

Override_aKbps : 2048
Override_aCodec: wma

The .ts files are typically ~2GB each, h.264, AC3 audio (typically), 720p
I'm on a Windows Vista system, TiVo is Series 3

Thanks in advance!
seths17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 02:23 AM   #2932
metronomadic

Can't push to TiVo - problem with ffmpeg, video encode, or something else?

I've been trying to sort out how to push mpeg-4 videos from my NAS to my TiVo, and I'm about at my wit's end. I hope that someone might be able to help me move in the right direction!

I believe I'm running the latest wmcbrine, 2010-08-08. Here's my python info, I think...

Code:
python -i
Python 2.5.2 (r252:60911, Jan 24 2010, 21:03:09) 
[GCC 4.3.2] on linux2
I've done my best at building ffmpeg, and am getting at least 1 error that looks weird when getting info on the video that I want to push - "Seems stream 0 codec frame rate differs from container frame rate: 30000.00 (30000/1) -> 29.97 (30000/1001)" - full ffmpeg -i below...

Code:
./ffmpeg -i /path/to/Ratatouille.mp4
FFmpeg version 0.6, Copyright (c) 2000-2010 the FFmpeg developers
  built on Oct 26 2010 08:30:40 with gcc 4.3.2
  configuration: --prefix=/ffmpeg --enable-gpl
  libavutil     50.15. 1 / 50.15. 1
  libavcodec    52.72. 2 / 52.72. 2
  libavformat   52.64. 2 / 52.64. 2
  libavdevice   52. 2. 0 / 52. 2. 0
  libswscale     0.11. 0 /  0.11. 0

Seems stream 0 codec frame rate differs from container frame rate: 30000.00 (30000/1) -> 29.97 (30000/1001)
Input #0, mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2, from '/path/to/Ratatouille.mp4':
  Metadata:
    major_brand     : isom
    minor_version   : 512
    compatible_brands: isomiso2mp41
    title           : Ratatouille
    encoder         : DigiArty AV Encoder Core
    comment         : Remy is a young rat...
    show            : Ratatouille
    date            : 2007
  Duration: 01:51:03.50, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 1837 kb/s
    Stream #0.0(und): Video: mpeg4, yuv420p, 720x404 [PAR 1:1 DAR 180:101], 1667 kb/s, 29.97 fps, 29.97 tbr, 30k tbn, 30k tbc
    Stream #0.1(und): Audio: aac, 48000 Hz, stereo, s16, 165 kb/s
At least one output file must be specified
When I tried to push the video via the web interface I also got the following, which I think means it's trying to convert the video on my NAS, right?

Code:
Output #0, vob, to 'pipe:':
  Metadata:
    encoder         : Lavf52.64.2
    Stream #0.0(und): Video: mpeg2video, yuv420p, 720x404 [PAR 1:1 DAR 180:101], q=2-31, 16384 kb/s, 90k tbn, 29.97 tbc
    Stream #0.1(und): Audio: ac3, 48000 Hz, stereo, s16, 448 kb/s
Stream mapping:
  Stream #0.0 -> #0.0
  Stream #0.1 -> #0.1
Press [q] to stop encoding
So, there's my situation, in a nutshell. If I've left anything important out, please forgive me, as it's getting late here in California. Thanks for any help you can provide! -m
metronomadic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 02:43 AM   #2933
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

seths17: Well, you could try overriding the vCodec as well. The video should be reencoded anyway on a pull if it's h.264, but since you only describe this as "typical", perhaps you have some problematic MPEG-2 video that's being passed through?

An alternative might be to remux these files to MP4 and push them. (Get rid of the overrides in that case!)

Or, perhaps try a different (newer?) version of ffmpeg.

metronomadic: You left out the actual problem. Does it not get transferred? Or do you just want to get it transferred without transcoding? (I imagine the NAS is very slow at that.) If it's the latter, your problem is that the video codec is reported as "mpeg4" rather than "h264". Only h264, mpeg2video, mpeg1video and vc1 can be pushed without transcoding.

Last edited by wmcbrine : 10-26-2010 at 02:51 AM.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:37 AM   #2934
seths17

wmcbine - Thanks for the help.

I need a little hand-holding here as I've been pretty hands-off with pytivo since it has worked so nicely until now...

1) what exactly should my entry look like for the suggested override vCodec metadata line?
2) Where can I get a newer or different ffmpeg (I have been using the latest: ffmpeg-SVN-r21659-rdian06-1.02-win-x86_32.zip) ?
3) If I need to provide a log to get to the bottom of this issue (which as I've mentioned seems only to occur with .ts files as of recent), how do I do that?
4) Would I potentially have any better luck using something like StreamBaby (which I can't get to show in my TiVo menu appropriate - I'll post that inquiry in the right thread if this is an option to overcome the issue)...

PS - I also tried pushing the file via the pytivo web interface (no metadata file) and it failed to fully transfer (got a partial transfer stopped at the exact same place when pulling at 3 minutes in...)

Here are the details of the file I am attempting to get to TiVo (push or pull) via pytivo:

Format : MPEG-TS
Size: ~4.5 GB (~2.2GB per half)
Video
Bit rate : 6000kps
Width : 1 280 pixels
Height : 720 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16/9
Frame rate : 59.940 fps
Scan type : Progressive
Audio
Format : AC-3
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 384 Kbps
Channel(s) : 5.1 channels

Thanks for all of the help. Still waiting to watch the first half...

Last edited by seths17 : 10-26-2010 at 03:45 PM.
seths17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:36 AM   #2935
metronomadic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
metronomadic: You left out the actual problem. Does it not get transferred? Or do you just want to get it transferred without transcoding? (I imagine the NAS is very slow at that.) If it's the latter, your problem is that the video codec is reported as "mpeg4" rather than "h264". Only h264, mpeg2video, mpeg1video and vc1 can be pushed without transcoding.
I knew that I was forgetting something! It's the latter - I want it to get transferred without transcoding. Thanks for catching that for me, I'll give it another shot at encoding, and I hope that'll solve it for me.
metronomadic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:37 AM   #2936
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

seths17:

1. "Override_vCodec: foo". It doesn't matter what the codec is, as long as it's not one of the ones that can be passed through without transcoding.

2. I dunno; maybe here?

3. I don't think a log will be needed. Either the override line will work, indicating that it was bad MPEG-2 data; or it won't, and changing ffmpeg or separate remuxing would be your only remedies.

4. I can't see why Streambaby would handle it any better, but who knows? Note that Streambaby should appear in the "Music, Photos, & Showcases" menu (or "Showcases & extras" in the Premiere's HDUI), not the NPL.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:51 AM   #2937
NYHeel

I'm having an issue with Pytivo (on a windows 7 32bit laptop) and my new premieres. I'm trying to transfer back HD shows that were pulled off of a Tivo (and decrypted) via kmttg. Transferring to a TivoHD works fine, everything looks nice and HD, but to a Premiere, it gets changed to SD. I'm using pytivo on my windows laptop. I just updated to wmcbrine's most recent fork (10/31 I believe) by extracting the zip over the existing pytivo directory. I restarted my laptop and premiere and it still transfers in SD to my Premiere. It sees the file as HD but thinks it needs to be reencoded to SD. It probably has something to do with pytivo not recognizing that the Premiere is HD capable but I'm not sure what else to do beyond what I've done. Any thoughts on this?

In the interest of full disclosure, I posted this in the Premiere forum but just realized that I probably should have posted it here. So sorry for the double post.
NYHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 03:39 PM   #2938
Rdian06

Sounds like you didn't extract the new wmcbrine code over the old code correctly. When you download the zip from git, it normally extracts to a wmcbrine folder. So if you look in your pyTivo folder and there is a wmcbrine folder inside it, then you didn't overwrite anything and you're still running the old code that thinks the Premiere is an SD unit.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:51 AM   #2939
jcthorne

If I use pytivo to push a 1080p file to my TivoHD are there settings to allow it to play as 1080p on my projector? Or is this only a Premier function?

Just got a new projector and never dealt with 1080 files before, was stuck at 720p for many years.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:06 AM   #2940
Rdian06

I think the max output res for the Tivo HD is 1080i. You should be able to see this on one of the video output option menus. Can't remember the name off the top of my head. It's where you have the option to set a fixed resolution or native res.

If you're transcoding, you might want to up the height and width settings in your pyTivo.conf to 1920x1080.