TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-23-2010, 06:10 PM   #751
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by akaussie View Post
Hey All - my Premiere is on the way and should be here on Monday. I'm looking for advice as to whether I wait a little while before upgrading the hard drive, or if I just do it right away?
Obviously downside to upgrading straight away will be the loss of the warranty.

Thanks in advance.
See my response to more-or-less the same question a few days ago…

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...81#post8147281

Enjoy your new TiVo!
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 06:28 PM   #752
akaussie

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
See my response to more-or-less the same question a few days ago…

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...81#post8147281

Enjoy your new TiVo!
Thanks Rich! I'm actually just up the road from you in Multnomah Village/SW PDX.
Your advice sounds good to me and was along the lines I was thinking.
-Bill
akaussie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 10:34 PM   #753
rdangel

Can anyone recommend a free way to share or transfer my 2gb image? MobileMe isn't cutting it and some have a problem with me using a file transfer service.thx
rdangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 12:27 AM   #754
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdangel View Post
Can anyone recommend a free way to share or transfer my 2gb image? MobileMe isn't cutting it and some have a problem with me using a file transfer service.thx
MediaFire

http://www.mediafire.com/
Old 09-24-2010, 12:28 AM   #755
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by akaussie View Post
Thanks Rich! I'm actually just up the road from you in Multnomah Village/SW PDX.
Your advice sounds good to me and was along the lines I was thinking.
-Bill
Small world…there are actually quite a few of us from the NW here. So you're in good to questionable company.
Old 09-24-2010, 07:14 AM   #756
tgrim1

I think that if you replaced it right away, and later put the original back in it and sent it back, wouldn't they notice that it hasn't received any updates?
tgrim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 09:18 AM   #757
comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgrim1 View Post
I think that if you replaced it right away, and later put the original back in it and sent it back, wouldn't they notice that it hasn't received any updates?
Tivo knows that you put a new disk to begin with It's connected to the net. So point is moot when you do it the second time. But point is also that Tivo has not prosecuted anybody for just replacing the disk, yet. Call it "gray area".

The old command-line guide is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
comer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:34 AM   #758
Shagger

My Tivo Premiere is coming today, but I was going to go hold off on the 2TB upgrade until after I am sure that the family is happy with it. I have Comcast coming out on Monday for the Cablecard install. Is it better to do the drive upgrade AFTER the cable card install or before?
Shagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:42 AM   #759
comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagger View Post
My Tivo Premiere is coming today, but I was going to go hold off on the 2TB upgrade until after I am sure that the family is happy with it. I have Comcast coming out on Monday for the Cablecard install. Is it better to do the drive upgrade AFTER the cable card install or before?
Pretty much the same question: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...97#post8146297
In short - after

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-24-2010, 11:52 AM   #760
Mike Wolf
Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
From the sticky at the top of the forum:
Why not just crack open the dvr expander, and pop in a larger TB AV hard drive?
Mike Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:53 AM   #761
Shagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by comer View Post
Pretty much the same question: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...97#post8146297
In short - after
In the words of Montgomery Burns, "Excellent!"
Shagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 01:09 PM   #762
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Wolf View Post
Why not just crack open the dvr expander, and pop in a larger TB AV hard drive?
If you mean open a WD My DVR Expander and swap in a different hard drive it won't work as TiVo recognizes "authorized" hard drives by the exact hard drive model number (the enclosure really doesn't make any difference). The current WD My DVR Expanders are 1TB so maybe you meant 2TB? To add to that, based on numerous posts elsewhere, opening the DVR Expander's case generally ruins it. Anyway a nice thought, but a non-starter.
Old 09-24-2010, 01:46 PM   #763
rdangel

Quote:
Unfortunately the free mediafire maxes out at 200MB. Anyone have an account where I can put a 2GB image file?
rdangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 01:52 PM   #764
richsadams

Quote:
Unfortunately the free mediafire maxes out at 200MB. Anyone have an account where I can put a 2GB image file?
Forgot about that w/the freebie account.
Old 09-24-2010, 02:14 PM   #765
comer

Quote:
You can break your file in pieces, with RAR for example.
There's filehosting.org with no size limit, but also requires email to send a download link.
Also check here The 5 Best Free File Hosting Services To Store Your Files

Old 09-24-2010, 02:54 PM   #766
richsadams

Quote:
That doesn't really make any sense, you say that TiVo recigizes the exact hard drive model number, in what way? Hard drive model number for the internal drive, or of the exapander drive, because the expander drive model number is identical to the retail internal drive on store shelves. I'm pretty sure TiVo doesn't have a master list of every single DVR expander hard drive sold by western digital to authentication.
http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=615 This is the exact same hard drive found in both the My DVR expander drive and the My Book AV DVR expander.
I think we're talking about two different things. If you're suggesting simply opening a WD My DVR Expander, removing the hard drive and inserting it inside a TiVo Premiere (or any other TiVo for that matter) that would work providing you went through the upgrade process prior to that as of course there's no OS on the expansion drive and it would be treated as a blank/new drive.

With respect to TiVo's hard drives, no TiVo does not "recognize" internal drives as such. However, yes, TiVo does in fact recognize external hard drives by their model number and will only accept the "approved" My DVR Expander and the My DVR AV Expander series. The eSATA drives are identified by TiVo's software. That's why you cannot connect any other eSATA drive to a TiVo HD, HDXL, Premiere or Premiere XL via plug and play except the approved WD My DVR Expander line. They are purposefully limited to avoid support issues. In other words, if you were to put an off the shelf drive in any enclosure (including the WD My DVR Expander enclosure) and connected it to anything other than the original TiVo Series3 it would not function. The only way that can be accomplished is to pull the TiVo OEM drive and connect it to a computer along with the additional drive and marry them using the MFSLive program.

Additional information about expansion drives, upgrades, etc. can be found in this FAQ:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...60#post5616160.

Quote:
When I said crack it open and put in a larger capacity TB drive, I was referring to the 2TB drive I just linked you to.

Don't know how one could ruin it if its known how to take the case off and not touch anything inside.
I was referring to the damage caused when you crack open a WD MY DVR Expander enclosure, not a TiVo of course.

Quote:
Does anyone actually know the exact hard drive used in the TiVo Premiere and Premiere XL? By which I mean model number and brand?
Yes, the TiVo Premiere uses the WD320AVVS and the Premiere XL uses the WD10EVVS.

Although it's not conveniently in one place, all of the info you're looking for can usually be found on the TCF using the search function.
Old 09-24-2010, 05:40 PM   #767
jaredmwright

You could utilize something like HFS if you are comfortable setting up port forwarding. I use it and it is quite simple and very powerful. You simply run the executable and set up the folder you want to share with permissions and users . It might take 5 minutes at most to setup.

http://www.rejetto.com/hfs/?f=intro
DirecTV HR22 HDMI/ETHERNET & Slingbox Solo
jaredmwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 02:07 AM   #768
Mike Wolf
Associate

rich your model numbers don't match up to WD's site. Please check the numbers.
Old 09-25-2010, 03:49 AM   #769
richsadams

Quote:
rich your model numbers don't match up to WD's site. Please check the numbers.
I have no idea what you're talking about…again. The model numbers of what, the hard drives in TiVo's? Those hard drive numbers listed in my earlier post are the hard drive model numbers with which those particular TiVo's were built. There's nothing for me to check, I have the TiVo's in front of me. You're going to have to do a better job of clarifying your posts.
Old 09-25-2010, 05:23 AM   #770
Mike Wolf
Associate

Quote:
I have no idea what you're talking about…again. The model numbers of what, the hard drives in TiVo's? Those hard drive numbers listed in my earlier post are the hard drive model numbers with which those particular TiVo's were built. There's nothing for me to check, I have the TiVo's in front of me. You're going to have to do a better job of clarifying your posts.
You posted the model numbers of the hard drives, and listed them by series. I put them into a search on western digital's site, and they came up as invalid. I then did a search for them online, and they also came up as invalid. I don't know why you mention having a TiVo in front of you unless you opened it and are reading off the model number of the drive.
Old 09-25-2010, 10:55 AM   #771
comer

Let's not split hairs, shall we?
For the sake of clarity:
XL: WD10EVVS
vulgaris: WD3200AVVS

Old 09-25-2010, 11:55 AM   #772
richsadams

Quote:
You posted the model numbers of the hard drives, and listed them by series. I put them into a search on western digital's site, and they came up as invalid. I then did a search for them online, and they also came up as invalid. I don't know why you mention having a TiVo in front of you unless you opened it and are reading off the model number of the drive.
Some of these drives are not on WD's site because they were never available to the public. As a matter of fact, yes I do in fact have them in front of me…and so do thousands of others here and yes we are in fact reading the model number off of the drive.

FWIW, and I don't know why I waste my time on these things, but I just did a Google search for every drive TiVo uses (as listed on this post) and found every single one of them. I also did your homework for you by linking every drive to a website where it can be purchased. You can thank me later.

Or it's all a big conspiracy to lie to newbies so they can't get into the club.

Last edited by richsadams : 09-25-2010 at 12:14 PM.
Old 09-25-2010, 03:35 PM   #773
EdH

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredmwright View Post
You could utilize something like HFS...
http://www.rejetto.com/hfs/?f=intro
That looked interesting so I installed it and, so far, I like it.

But I can't get to the forum at http://www.rejetto.com/forum/index.php?action=register

There's a register button there but it doesn't do anything. Are you able to get in?

Thanks,

Ed
EdH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 04:41 PM   #774
keenanSR

Quote:
If you're familiar with bit-torrent usage that's an extremely easy way to transfer large files.
keenanSR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 10:41 AM   #775
dvr_dude

Quote:
FWIW, and I don't know why I waste my time on these things, but I just did a Google search for every drive TiVo uses (as listed on this post) and found every single one of them. I also did your homework for you by linking every drive to a website where it can be purchased. You can thank me later.

Or it's all a big conspiracy to lie to newbies so they can't get into the club.
Perhaps it would eliminate some confusion if you fixed the model number in your original post:
Quote:
TiVo Premiere = WD320AVVS
The actual model number is WD3200AVVS.
dvr_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 12:09 PM   #776
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvr_dude View Post
Perhaps it would eliminate some confusion if you fixed the model number in your original post:

The actual model number is WD3200AVVS.
Good catch…although the link was to the correct drive. Thanks.
Old 09-26-2010, 12:27 PM   #777
dvr_dude

Quote:
Good catch…although the link was to the correct drive. Thanks.
True, but the links weren't there originally, and when someone politely asked you to check them, you responded with this fairly harsh reply:
Quote:
Perhaps we could all use a review of forum decorum?
dvr_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 02:11 PM   #778
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvr_dude View Post
True, but the links weren't there originally, and when someone politely asked you to check them, you responded with this fairly harsh reply: Perhaps we could all use a review of forum decorum?
My reply may sound harsh in a vacuum, but if you take the time to read the rest of the OP's posts…including identical questions cross posted on three different threads, plus the many additional incomplete and incorrect posts he made you'd have the actual context of the situation leading to the answer that I gave. You should also read my earlier responses to the OP wherein I feel that I took an inordinate amount of time to guide someone that had only been on this forum a few days toward becoming a valued part of the community…advice that was ignored for the most part.

Last edited by richsadams : 09-26-2010 at 02:20 PM. Reason: Tyop…d'oh!
Old 09-27-2010, 01:11 AM   #779
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
Any specific drives to look for/avoid as far as WD Green/Black/AV for upgrading a Premiere? Do you still need to do the Intellipark fix for drives going into a Premiere?

Z
Old 09-27-2010, 01:36 AM   #780
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by zordude View Post
Any specific drives to look for/avoid as far as WD Green/Black/AV for upgrading a Premiere? Do you still need to do the Intellipark fix for drives going into a Premiere?

Z
See my answer to a similar question from a few pages back...

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...32#post8146832

Adjusting the Intellipark feature on WD drives depends on the manufacture date. Based on numerous posts it appears that drives manufactured after the first week of August or so no longer require it. So it really depends on the drive.

Here's more information on an "automated" process for the Premiers...

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=455968

Happy upgrading!