TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-20-2010, 06:15 PM   #1
comer

Premiere Drive Upgrade Instructions - with all-in-one jmfs Live CD

revision 104 - Nov-06-2010 - with Supersize!

**WARNING**
  1. Software is provided with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY. Please read the licence terms (GPL v3).
  2. Opening your Tivo cover will void manufacturer's warranty.
  3. Although program is not designed to do (and actually attempts to prevent) data loss and distruction, it certainly has a potential to do so. It is ultimately YOUR responsibility to backup, stow away and otherwise protect your data.

If you like my work, buy me a beer... or milk... or a harddrive

OVERVIEW
This is a bootable Linux CD based on Slax distribution. It includes all software tools known to make a harddrive larger than the standard work in Tivo Premiere with expanded capacity.
Basic usage, suitable for most users who only want to expand their Tivo disk capacity, is fully guided, based on simple prompt-choice automated script.

Once again, for clarity's sake, if youd don't want to tinker, experiment and/or dig in the code or Tivo, the "USAGE BASIC" and some hardware is enough to set you up with larger Tivo Premiere drive!

It was ONLY TESTED ON PREMIERE DISK. Also, it was not tested and probably will not work on multi-disk configurations.

The full procedure of making a larger Tivo Premiere disk contains the following:
  1. Taking the original disk out of the Tivo
  2. Copying the original disk onto a new larger one
  3. Doing modifications of structures on the new disk to make extra space available for Tivo
  4. Installing the new disk back into Tivo.
This CD helps in doing steps #2 and #3 of this procedure.

DOWNLOAD

Current: Download link (Mirror thanks coold8! )
MD5 checksum:
Code:
a5ef24d6841f75c5c5cfd5fd703f6069 *./jmfs-rev104.iso.zip
Previous: Download link (Mirror courtesy of coold8 as well)
MD5 checksum:
Code:
c6241f5838cf5d1f4b451229b184f031 *./jmfs-rev68.iso.zip

REQUIREMENTS and PREREQUISITES
You will need:
  1. Your original Tivo disk
  2. New disk larger than Tivo's
  3. Computer that you can boot from CD or USB
  4. Jmfs Live CD
It implies that you also need an ability and willingness to:
  1. Open/close your Tivo box
  2. Take harddrive out of the Tivo and put harddrive back into it
  3. Connect/disconnect the original and the new harddrive to a computer using SATA or USB
  4. Burn ISO image on a CD or set up a bootable USB stick
  5. Boot up/shutdown a computer using the prepared bootable media
  6. Follow the guided prompt
  7. Wait for 2-4 hours for process to finish

USAGE BASIC
  1. Download CD disk image (ISO). For basic usage you only need the "jmfs-*.iso.zip" file. Sources (jmfs-src*.zip) are also in the folder for those who want to build themselves. (download link above)
  2. Unzip the ISO and burn it on CD
  3. Connect a Tivo disk and a new large disk to a computer. SATA or USB - does not matter, it will work either way, but SATA is faster.
  4. Boot that computer from the CD burned in step #2.
  5. The guide will be started automatically, follow the prompts.
    1. If you are upgrading from stock drive, you will need to do: Copy, Expand, Supersize - in that order.
    2. If you are supersizing an already expanded drive, just do Supersize.
If you ever find yourself in a shell (command prompt) you can:
  1. Restart the guide by
    • "/root/guide.sh" command
  2. Shutdown the system by any of:
    • pressing Ctrl-D
    • "exit" command,
    • "logout" command
    • "poweroff" command
  3. Reboot the system by any of:
    • pressing Ctrl-Alt-Del
    • "reboot" command
During the guided process there is a log file created "/root/log.log". If you experience any problems or errors please check that file for any extended error information. It would like to ask for assistance, please copy the log file somewhere, where you can access it later (e.g. mount an external USB drive or existing partitions and copy it there).

USAGE ADVANCED
You are in the root shell, no need to "sudo" anything.
You need to know your disk names. The source Tivo disk and the targer where you want to copy or the one you want to expand. To find harddrive names in the system:
  1. run "fdisk -l" and make note of the device names and capacities (for ex. "Disk /dev/sda: 2000.3 GB").
  2. run "hdparm -i <device>" (for ex. "hdparm -i /dev/sda") which will output the disk model (e.g. "/dev/sda: Model=WDC WD20EVDS-63T3B0")
All disks are made read-only on boot, so if you are planning to copy and/or expand, make your target drive writable by "chmod u+w <target drive path>" (e.g. "chmod u+w /dev/sda").

There are scripts included to run tools separately, outside of the guided prompt:
  1. mfsadd.sh
    Expects 1 parameter - target drive for expansion (e.g. "/dev/sda").
    Drive must already contain copy of the original Tivo disk.
  2. diskCopy.sh
    A "shortcut" for "ddrescue", expects two parameters: source disk and target disk or file name
    (e.g. "/dev/sda /dev/sdb" or "/dev/sda /mnt/sdb1/tivo.img").
  3. mfslayout.sh
    Prints the layout of a Tivo disk. Usefull for testing/making sure the disk is OK.
    Expects 1 parameter - Tivo drive name (e.g. "/dev/sda").
  4. jmfs.sh
    Base script to run a class from jmfs package. All arguments are passed to executed class.

BUILDING
You need Apache ANT 1.7.1 or above and JDK 1.6 or above.
The ANT build script is included with sources. The targets are:
  1. build (default)
    only compiles the sources.
  2. clean
    deletes all built files, so all sources will be recompiled
  3. package
    compiles and creates packages - jar, bin.zip and src.zip for distribution.

The old command-line guide is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by comer : 11-08-2010 at 07:48 PM. Reason: Added mirror by coold8
comer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 06:35 PM   #2
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

This thread should be stickied.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

orangeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:08 PM   #3
wp746911

thanks comer. Very impresssed. Got a new premier on the way so I'll try it your new way soon! (did last one the 'old comer' way using linux and lots of command prompts)
wp746911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:35 PM   #4
cr33p

Awesome work, thanks Comer
cr33p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 11:01 PM   #5
Derek42141

Thank you so much. I have a new premiere that i have never set up. I'm getting a cable card next week. (I live in a fairly small town with only one cable provider. Cable cards are a new fangled invention around here. They don't even advertise them. I guess they think we are all stupid rednecks anyway.) I really wanted to upgrade to 2tb before i started using.
Derek42141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 11:24 PM   #6
kturcotte

Will this transfer/copy everything over from the original drive as well?
kturcotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 11:49 PM   #7
comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kturcotte View Post
Will this transfer/copy everything over from the original drive as well?
Yes

Old 09-21-2010, 11:05 AM   #8
txporter
One sec, almost done

Is it possible to use this image on a flash drive rather than a burned CD?
Series2 540 400GB Seagate DB35 (lifetime)
txporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:12 AM   #9
comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by txporter View Post
Is it possible to use this image on a flash drive rather than a burned CD?
Yes, although it's a bit uglier - video modes are much more limited. I didn't want to hold on the release to investigate that
To make bootable USB, dowanload "Universal USB installer", start it and follow the instructions. When asked what type of Linux, uncheck "download ISO", choose either "Other" or "Slax 6" and navigate to ISO file.

Old 09-21-2010, 11:23 AM   #10
txporter
One sec, almost done

Quote:
Originally Posted by comer View Post
Yes, although it's a bit uglier - video modes are much more limited. I didn't want to hold on the release to investigate that
To make bootable USB, dowanload "Universal USB installer", start it and follow the instructions. When asked what type of Linux, uncheck "download ISO", choose either "Other" or "Slax 6" and navigate to ISO file.
Thanks, comer! I guess it was more a curiosity than anything. I still have some blank disks lying around. I am thinking about taking the plunge into Premiere ownership and this is the first thing on my list (bigger drive). Thanks for all your hard work on this!
Series2 540 400GB Seagate DB35 (lifetime)
txporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 12:27 PM   #11
wp746911

I did the 'old comer' linux method using ubuntu run directly from a USB drive- I used the universal usb installer and did it that way- it was pretty easy to run it that way. Not surea bout the new fangled method.
wp746911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 01:29 PM   #12
bmgoodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek42141 View Post
Thank you so much. I have a new premiere that i have never set up. I'm getting a cable card next week. (I live in a fairly small town with only one cable provider. Cable cards are a new fangled invention around here. They don't even advertise them. I guess they think we are all stupid rednecks anyway.) I really wanted to upgrade to 2tb before i started using.
I would recommend you upgrade AFTER if your cable company (A) pairs the cable card to the device and (B) insists on sending someone to your home and (C) charges for the installation.

In this case, if you ever need to re-image from your original disk, your cable card will still be paired. Otherwise, you're looking at another truck roll. Just my $.02.
bmgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 02:04 PM   #13
jbell73

Does this method allow access to tools to adjust the intellipark (WD Drives) or the AAM acoustic settings?
jbell73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 02:21 PM   #14
comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbell73 View Post
Does this method allow access to tools to adjust the intellipark (WD Drives) or the AAM acoustic settings?
If you mean if the original manufacturer's tools are included - then no. As far as I know they are for DOS/Windows only? If you know what parameter to change, you can use included "hdparm".

Old 09-21-2010, 02:42 PM   #15
jbell73

First off -- GREAT WORK!!! This has been missing in the Premiere world for a while now.

As for the DOS only tools, that makes sense. I think hdparm -M will set the AAM settings. If wdilde3 is only available for dos then another quick boot solution would fix that (I used Hiran's Boot CD via USB to run the wdidle3 /S:0 setting to disable the intellipark). Without a floppy drive now a days, boot disks are harder and harder to come by.

BTW - I have not yet used your tool (plan to shortly on a 2TB upgrade). Do you have HD/SD recording capacities for different drive sizes using this method (1TB, 1.5TB, 2TB, 3TB etc..)? Is there a maximum drive size supported by the Premiere or this process?

Last edited by jbell73 : 09-21-2010 at 02:43 PM. Reason: type-o
jbell73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 03:42 PM   #16
comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbell73 View Post
Do you have HD/SD recording capacities for different drive sizes using this method (1TB, 1.5TB, 2TB, 3TB etc..)?
The statistic is very limited - I didn't think of gathering it and people didn't think of sharing the information After all, what's important is how much you get out of your drive, not what someone esle got out of his, be it less or more, isn't it?
From all I know, 1T gives 145, 1.5T - 218, 2T - >250 hours of HD.

Quote:
Is there a maximum drive size supported by the Premiere or this process?
Yes, right now with this tools max is +2T of space. So if you go from 320G, the total max will be 2.3T

Old 09-22-2010, 01:18 AM   #17
True Colors

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmgoodman View Post
I would recommend you upgrade AFTER if your cable company (A) pairs the cable card to the device and (B) insists on sending someone to your home and (C) charges for the installation.

In this case, if you ever need to re-image from your original disk, your cable card will still be paired. Otherwise, you're looking at another truck roll. Just my $.02.
I am not saying that you are wrong at all, but I am a bit lost with this......

What exactly is the advantage of waiting until after the cable card is installed to upgrade the hard drive?

Does the installation of the cable card alter the image on the original hard drive in some way?

I am about to buy a premiere myself with the small hard drive and then replace it with a larger one. I would like to understand things as best possible so I can go about this the best way possible.

Thanks,

TC
True Colors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 08:41 AM   #18
HazelW

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Colors View Post
I am not saying that you are wrong at all, but I am a bit lost with this......

What exactly is the advantage of waiting until after the cable card is installed to upgrade the hard drive?

Does the installation of the cable card alter the image on the original hard drive in some way?

I am about to buy a premiere myself with the small hard drive and then replace it with a larger one. I would like to understand things as best possible so I can go about this the best way possible.

Thanks,

TC
The cable card pairing information is stored on the hard drive. If you ever need to replace the upgraded drive and you don't have a copy with the pairing information, you will probably need a truck roll from your cable company.
HazelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 05:49 PM   #19
akaussie

Super newbie question here - please forgive.
My Premiere (first Tivo I've owner - I'm excited about it!) is arriving on Monday and I am wanting to upgrade the hard drive.
I have an iMac which I would use for the process.
Steps I'm assuming I need to take:
1) Download the jmfs Live file and burn to a CD
2) Connect original tivo drive and new hd to iMac (and suggestions on doing this easily?)
3) Boot up computer using boot cd.
4) Follow instructions

So I am hoping the only thing I am missing is the best way to connect the original tivo drive and the new hard drive to the iMac.

Thanks for much for the information - sorry for the newbie questions!
akaussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 06:02 PM   #20
comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by akaussie View Post
Super newbie question here - please forgive.
My Premiere (first Tivo I've owner - I'm excited about it!) is arriving on Monday and I am wanting to upgrade the hard drive.
I have an iMac which I would use for the process.
Steps I'm assuming I need to take:
1) Download the jmfs Live file and burn to a CD
2) Connect original tivo drive and new hd to iMac (and suggestions on doing this easily?)
3) Boot up computer using boot cd.
4) Follow instructions

So I am hoping the only thing I am missing is the best way to connect the original tivo drive and the new hard drive to the iMac.

Thanks for much for the information - sorry for the newbie questions!
Wow, I am excited to test this on iMac!
I don't know how much access you have to the insides of your iMac. If it's easy as pop the door and SATA is right there - then I suggest using SATA. It's faster and drive model is recognized easily by the tool.
If not, then use USB-to-SATA.

Old 09-23-2010, 06:29 PM   #21
akaussie

Quote:
I don't know how much access you have to the insides of your iMac. If it's easy as pop the door and SATA is right there - then I suggest using SATA. It's faster and drive model is recognized easily by the tool.
Comer - thanks for the quickly reply. I haven't actually looked - and I think my wife my kill me if I open up her precious iMac, so I think USB-to-SATA will be the way to go.
Monoprice has a SATA to USB adapter for under $10 so I'll pick up two of those (I'm assuming I'll need one for each hard drive).

Another quick question - will anything bad happen if I try the boot cd before I get and hookup the hard drives - just to make sure it boots properly on my iMac?
akaussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:05 PM   #22
comer

Quote:
Comer - thanks for the quickly reply. I haven't actually looked - and I think my wife my kill me if I open up her precious iMac, so I think USB-to-SATA will be the way to go.
Monoprice has a SATA to USB adapter for under $10 so I'll pick up two of those (I'm assuming I'll need one for each hard drive).

Another quick question - will anything bad happen if I try the boot cd before I get and hookup the hard drives - just to make sure it boots properly on my iMac?
Yes, it's perfectly fine

Old 09-24-2010, 02:18 PM   #23
Torgo

Another satisfied customer

Ordered a WD20EVDS from Newegg, downloaded and burned the ISO image.

Pulled the 320GB drive out of my almost new premiere, hooked both up to my desktop, boot of CD, follow prompts (I didn't have a laptop in the same room to pull up Comer's instructions, so I just booted off the CD).

So easy to use, took 3 hours or so to copy over, done, plug into tivo, boot up, 2TB of storage goodness.

Compared to the "good ole days" of upgrading Directivos to 120GB harddrives using MFS and command lines tools, this was a piece of cake.

I upgraded my HD last year with a DVRDUDE drive, that was obviously easier from a "don't have to mess w/ a PC" perspective, but you lose all your settings etc.

This was perfect, quick, easy, and all is still there.

Thanks very much Comer!
Torgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 02:34 PM   #24
richsadams

Quote:
Just as an FYI, Apple computers do not have SATA or eSATA ports…at all. (There's a third party upgrade to the new 27" iMac that will add an eSATA connection but you have to send it in, yadda, yadda). Apple has chosen to use Firewire 800/1394b instead of eSATA. iMac's are fully self contained. (See here) There are no "doors" on an iMac and zero access to anything inside by the normal user…or even the advanced user for that matter. The Mac Pro line is the only computer that allows internal access of any sort, at least of the nature that PC owners are used to. I love my iMac and our other Macs and would never ever return to using PC's (for anything but upgrading TiVo's ), but when it comes to upgrades such as Linux/Windows boxes are capable of they are limited.

Quote:

Rather than buying those adapters I'd highly recommend buying a USB/SATA dock instead. Here's one that I have connected to my iMac:

http://amzn.to/9VPPQQ

You can even buy one that will allow you to mount two drives (ostensibly the TiVo drive and the new drive) at the same time. They are great for swapping out hard drives down the road where the little adapters are a bit cumbersome.

http://amzn.to/8Zp09s

If you want something lightning fast this quad interface NewerTech FireWire 800 dock is a little more spendy but works perfectly:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer...gy/FWU2ES2HDK/

It works great with all of our Mac's.

Although I have a PC I built and use for TiVo upgrades and planned on using it to upgrade our Premiere XL, I'd also be interested in seeing how things go with a Mac. I burned a copy of Comer's program so I'll pop it in my iMac after I post this and report back if it'll boot up or if it blew up…ha!

Happy upgrading!

EDIT/UPDATE: The good news is that the iMac will start up using the jmfs Live CD. The possibly bad news is that although I had my TiVo Series3 OEM hard drive in my USB/SATA dock connected to my iMac, the program did not recognize it. So I'm not sure if it's a case of it being a Series3 drive Vs a Premiere that's an issue or if it's a Mac/USB port recognition issue. In any case, the program will run on a mac (use the Option key to boot up - oddly enough the disk shows up as "Windows"). If it is a port issue it might be that you'd have to use Boot Camp or VMWare Fusion or Parallels with a Linux OS (Ubuntu, Centos, etc.) to make this work with a Mac. I haven't cracked my Premiere XL open yet. (I haven't purchased a 2TB HDD for an upgrade yet either). So if I find time I may pull the Premiere's drive and give it a try to see how it goes.

UPDATE II: Success (thus far)! I pulled our TiVo Premiere XL's hard drive and inserted in the USB/SATA dock connected to my iMac. I booted up the iMac with the jmfs Live CD. Everything went normally and the program recognized the Premiere's hard drive asking if I would like to copy or expand it. I don't have a 2TB drive yet so I shut the program down and will have to wait until I, akaussie or some other brave soul tries to upgrade using a Mac. However it would appear at this point that it will work.

Last edited by richsadams : 09-24-2010 at 06:38 PM.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 03:22 PM   #25
comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Just as an FYI, Apple computers do not have SATA or eSATA ports…at all.
Good to know! I wonder if they have specially built firewire HD inside, probably not, eh?

Quote:
The good news is that the iMac will start up using the jmfs Live CD.
Perfect! I was worried that some drivers were missing as the CD is based on a small linux distro.

Quote:
The possibly bad news is that although I had my TiVo Series3 OEM hard drive in my USB/SATA dock connected to my iMac, the program did not recognize it. So I'm not sure if it's a case of it being a Series3 drive Vs a Premiere that's an issue or if it's a Mac/USB port recognition issue.
I wonder exactly the same thing. Would you be able to get "log.log" out?

Old 09-24-2010, 05:07 PM   #26
True Colors

Does it matter which brand of hard drive you use for this?

The electronics store by my house has the 2 TB seagate barracuda in stock. Here is the link to the product page. Is this okay for me to use?

http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.js...D&locale=en-US

Thanks,

TC
True Colors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 05:11 PM   #27
comer

Quote:

The electronics store by my house has the 2 TB seagate barracuda in stock. Here is the link to the product page. Is this okay for me to use?

Thanks,

TC
Brand does not matter as long as you are comfortable with its reliability. Seagate has dropped the ball lately.

Old 09-24-2010, 05:11 PM   #28
kturcotte

Quote:

Thanks,

TC
Any SATA hard drive will work. Western Digital seems to be the preferred brand though, especially those in the A/V DVR line.
Old 09-24-2010, 05:14 PM   #29
richsadams

Quote:

Thanks,

TC
Yikes! That's a terrible price. (Or is that just an example and the store nearby is giving them away? ) You can generally find 2TB drives for ~ $100 to ~$125 on sale now.

Yes, in a sense it does matter what drive you use. Unless you just can't wait I'd order one of the WD or Hitatchi drives discussed earlier. AFAIK no one is using Seagate drives for these upgrades to date, so no known data exists. It's generally better to stick with what's been proven successful. YMMV of course.

I'm sure others will chime in but you can see this post on the cousin to this thread for more thoughts…

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...32#post8146832
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 05:18 PM   #30
kturcotte

Also (This SHOULD go without saying) plug the Tivo into a UPS!! Even a small one to deal with momentary power blips will go a long way to keeping the hard drive healthy! Hard drives don't like to even really be shut down, let alone just lose power completely.