TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-21-2010, 04:28 PM   #691
kturcotte

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post
This is probably the worst possible use of an SSD.
The less expensive (Still very expensive) drives use MLC which have limited writes but the newer drives load balance. It would be a great way to learn just how long these drives can work. 240 Gig for $600 is not great.

BTW, my WD 2TB EARS is very quiet. Much quieter than my stock PXL drive.

- Rich
Exactly-I'd be SCARED to find out what the 2 TB drives cost when they finally get to them!!!! Just wondering if it would in fact increase performance?
kturcotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 04:59 PM   #692
donnoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
if it only produces heat similar to the 5 platter 1Terabyte Hitachi drives then it might not be a problem. My girlfriend still has two series 3 models each with the 5 platter 1TB hitachi drives. They have been running basically 24/7 since the 1TB drives were first released. They have not caused any issues in the Series 3 boxes.
the largest drive I have in my Premiere is a 2TB drive. I think it is a 4 platter drive and it is a 7200rpm drive. That TiVo only runs 2 degress hotter than with the stock 320GB drive(using the TiVo temp in the sys info screen)
You must not love your girlfriend, you haven't upgraded her to Premieres yet.
donnoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 05:03 PM   #693
comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnoh View Post
Good one! You should sell this slogan to Tivo

The old command-line guide is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
comer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 05:03 PM   #694
RichB

Quote:
Originally Posted by kturcotte View Post
Exactly-I'd be SCARED to find out what the 2 TB drives cost when they finally get to them!!!! Just wondering if it would in fact increase performance?
Absolutely, SSD's vary in performance but the Vertex 2 I run on my system is fantastic.

- Rich

Last edited by RichB : 09-22-2010 at 09:25 AM.
RichB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 05:41 PM   #695
Shagger

I am planning on getting the Tivo Premiere and was going to just add a 1TB or 2TB eSATA drive in my Antec MX-1 enclosure? Is this a solid plan? The $200 savings by not getting the XL is mitigated by the drive cost and the fact that I just don't feel like cracking open the Premiere and cloning the drive. (yes, I am lazy!)
Shagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 05:44 PM   #696
kturcotte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagger View Post
I am planning on getting the Tivo Premiere and was going to just add a 1TB or 2TB eSATA drive in my Antec MX-1 enclosure? Is this a solid plan? The $200 savings by not getting the XL is mitigated by the drive cost and the fact that I just don't feel like cracking open the Premiere and cloning the drive. (yes, I am lazy!)
Never been a fan of external drives. More power, and greater possibility of something going wrong (2 drives vs 1).
Old 09-21-2010, 06:35 PM   #697
richsadams

Quote:
If it were only that simple. The problem is that every TiVo except the original Series3 recognizes expansion drives by the actual hard drive model number. Since whatever you want to connect to your Premiere is not the "authorized" WD My DVR Expander or the WD My Book AV DVR Expander you'd still have to open up your TiVo, pull the hard drive, connect both drives to a computer and marry them manually. FWIW I don't think anyone has done that (with a Premier at least)...almost certainly for that reason. If the drive has to be pulled and imaged anyway, why not just upgrade?

It was a nice thought though.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 07:57 PM   #698
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnoh View Post
I gave her the option of keeping her S3 units or giving her two Premieres and selling the S3 boxes. She wanted to keep the S3 boxes since she was more familiar with them. Of course I can't stand using them now since I don't like the SDUI.
So if there are alot of shows recorded that we watch, I will just take one of the Premieres with me when I go to her house instead of having to view them with her S3 boxes.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:42 PM   #699
kturcotte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_S View Post
Seagate released their 3TB drive back in June. But, because windows apparently has issues with 3TB boot drives, they've only made it avalible as an external drive. It's just a normal 3.5" sata drive in an external USB case, though, so there's no reason you couldn't just ditch the case.

Amazon carries it for 200 bucks.
64 bit Windows shouldn't have any problem with it should it, as long as it's not your boot drive?
Old 09-21-2010, 08:52 PM   #700
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
So if there are alot of shows recorded that we watch, I will just take one of the Premieres with me when I go to her house instead of having to view them with her S3 boxes.
OK!!! you go through the effort to disconnect you home TP lug it to her home connect it to her HDTV just so you can get to a program you both want to watch using the HDUI, (I am assuming she has the same program recorded in HD on her Series 3) than bring the TP back to your home and reconnect. To get to a program I want to watch is about 2 to 6 seconds using the SD menu, than 1 hour of watching what you recorded. Are you pulling our leg, or I guess some people really have a lot of religion about some things. (I will if at all possible never use any TiVo that does not have a HDUI, I don't care how much trouble it is for me)

Old 09-21-2010, 10:04 PM   #701
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
OK!!! you go through the effort to disconnect you home TP lug it to her home connect it to her HDTV just so you can get to a program you both want to watch using the HDUI, (I am assuming she has the same program recorded in HD on her Series 3) than bring the TP back to your home and reconnect. To get to a program I want to watch is about 2 to 6 seconds using the SD menu, than 1 hour of watching what you recorded. Are you pulling our leg, or I guess some people really have a lot of religion about some things. (I will if at all possible never use any TiVo that does not have a HDUI, I don't care how much trouble it is for me)
First it's only if there are alot of recordings, then it's not just the Sd menu. She records from OTA only and since the switch to VHF for a couple of stations in the DC area they can sometimes have issues.
If it's only two or three shows I will bring my PopBox over and we will either watch it from the PopBox or from her Tivo. if there are more shows(especially if they are from cable)I will just take the Premiere with me just in case. That Premiere is easy to access and I can have the cables removed and have it wrapped in a towel in under a minute. I'll usually grab it just before I head out the door.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 10:06 PM   #702
rdangel

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcfcameron View Post
Well, on behalf of many, I thank you for your effort!

What is the file extension of the image and what tools are capable of, or required, to work with it? Also, for the Windows people, myself included, are there any Windows-based programs that can work with it?

My image is gzipped, but I believe modern day winzip can unzip that. I used ubuntu to build the image, it was really easy and I am NOT a linux guy. I have my boot drive on a flash drive so I pop it in, boot ubuntu and run the commands in comer's email. Its really easy, so easy I could do this again and again.. Makes me think that I should go the ebay route, but I dont want the hassle and would feel guilty charging for Comer's heavy lifting.

I felt better about myself after donating a small amount to Comer as I would be nowhere without his hard work.
rdangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 02:41 AM   #703
gespears

Hey Comer, still wondering the following:

Does this new disk have instructions for just making a copy of the disk? I have a 2tb I want to make a backup of. It has several recordings on it I don't want to loose if it craps out. Of course they have that stupid copy protection so I can't transfer them off to anything else.

Thanks!
gespears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:45 AM   #704
comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gespears View Post
Hey Comer, still wondering the following:

Does this new disk have instructions for just making a copy of the disk? I have a 2tb I want to make a backup of. It has several recordings on it I don't want to loose if it craps out. Of course they have that stupid copy protection so I can't transfer them off to anything else.

Thanks!
The instructions are primarily about upgrading stock disk for a bigger one with more space for recordings. There are instructions for making a full disk backup as well, mostly in this thread. Full backup does not truncate anything - it is basically a disk image. Even compressed it can be as big as the original disk.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:04 PM   #705
Shagger

OK - so I have convinced my self that I will save $$$ by NOT getting the XL and buy a larger drive and install it myself. I did do an expansion on my S2DT Tivo and I am one of those guys that will tinker (build all my own PC's, run CAT5e in the house, do the brakes on the cars, change the oil, etc...) so I guess I will do this expansion myself. Are there any drives to stay away from (reliabilty, 4K issue, etc...)? I realize that the manufacturer reliability is cyclical, (Seagate used to be top dog) but who is currently king? Are people going with 1TB, 1.5TB or 2TB drives? I'd rather do this on a pristine, right out of the box Tivo to minimize transfer time, so I want to get all my parts together prior to starting the assembly.

Last edited by Shagger : 09-22-2010 at 12:09 PM.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:12 PM   #706
scoombs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_S View Post
Seagate released their 3TB drive back in June. But, because windows apparently has issues with 3TB boot drives, they've only made it avalible as an external drive. It's just a normal 3.5" sata drive in an external USB case, though, so there's no reason you couldn't just ditch the case.
Here is a write-up on the 3TB drive including using it internally.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/3858/t...esk-3tb-review
scoombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 12:18 PM   #707
comer

Quote:
Are there any drives to stay away from (reliabilty, 4K issue, etc...)? I realize that the manufacturer reliability is cyclical, (Seagate used to be top dog) but who is currently king? Are people going with 1TB, 1.5TB or 2TB drives? I'd rather do this on a pristine, right out of the box Tivo to minimize transfer time, so I want to get all my parts together prior to starting the assembly.
I didn't do a poll on the subject, but it seems that WD and Hitachi are preferred (in this order). It makes sense to go with 2T drive vs smaller ones - price difference is small, but space is a lot bigger.

Old 09-22-2010, 12:30 PM   #708
richsadams

Quote:
OK - so I have convinced my self that I will save $$$ by NOT getting the XL and buy a larger drive and install it myself. I did do an expansion on my S2DT Tivo and I am one of those guys that will tinker (build all my own PC's, run CAT5e in the house, do the brakes on the cars, change the oil, etc...) so I guess I will do this expansion myself. Are there any drives to stay away from (reliabilty, 4K issue, etc...)? I realize that the manufacturer reliability is cyclical, (Seagate used to be top dog) but who is currently king? Are people going with 1TB, 1.5TB or 2TB drives? I'd rather do this on a pristine, right out of the box Tivo to minimize transfer time, so I want to get all my parts together prior to starting the assembly.
FWIW if I were going to upgrade my Premiere XL today I'd go with Western Digital's WD20EVDS:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136494

Price-wise it's a little higher than some of the other WD 2TB drives, but it's a dedicated A/V hard drive so the AAM is already set to 128 and based on recent reports if this drive has been manufactured after August 1 or so the issue with the Intellipark feature and soft reboots doesn't apply. So that would be my choice of the moment.

I used to be a die-hard Seagate man, but over the past few years their QC has plummeted for some reason. Seems like that happened about the same time they acquired Maxtor, but it could be a coincidence. So WD has moved from lower in the food chain to near the top if not top on my list now. I've also had great success with Hitachi's Deskstar 7K1000.C HD31000 IDK/7K. (http://amzn.to/cinYZz or http://amzn.to/bmY99L) They run very cool and quiet and the three I have have been flawless for over a year now. They are 1TB however so I'm not sure about the 2TB version.

BTW, at today's current prices I wouldn't waste my time with a 1TB or 1.5TB drive. My rule of thumb has always been buy as much space as you can afford even if you don't think you'll use it.

The 4K Sector format hasn't affected TiVo upgrades to date.

I'm sure others will chime in but hope that helps and happy upgrading!
Old 09-22-2010, 12:42 PM   #709
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Any luck on figuring out how to enable MFS supersize to get the reserved space back?
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 01:17 PM   #710
Shagger

Are there any fan headers inside the Premiere box to keep the drives cool?
Old 09-22-2010, 01:40 PM   #711
richsadams

Quote:
Are there any fan headers inside the Premiere box to keep the drives cool?
TiVo Premier's have the typical single exhaust fan.

Old 09-22-2010, 01:45 PM   #712
RichB

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
TiVo Premier's have the typical single exhaust fan.

Yes, one connector.

My TiVo XL has a very noisy fan, I am not sure if it began that way though.
I have a couple of replacements I will try out.

- Rich
Old 09-22-2010, 02:22 PM   #713
cap

Quote:
Originally Posted by comer View Post
The jmfs Live CD has arrived here.
Trying the cd now. Great job on this comer. I like how you worded it to explicity explain very clearly what you are doing.

I can't wait to fire the new upgraded TiVo up.
TCD649080 Series 2 (Monthly 7/2006)
DVR-810H Series 2 (Lifetime 1/2004)
cap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 03:10 PM   #714
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post
Yes, one connector.

My TiVo XL has a very noisy fan, I am not sure if it began that way though.
I have a couple of replacements I will try out.

- Rich
Hmmm…the fan on our TiVo PXL is near silent, so not normal. Where'd you find other fans? From other TiVo's? I haven't had a close look, is it a standard fan you can pick up at the local computer store? The older TiVo fans were somewhat proprietary.
Old 09-22-2010, 03:22 PM   #715
Shagger

One small hitch in my plan, I am planning on getting the Tivo deal for a free Premiere and pay $19.99 for the service. I'd have 30 days for satisfaction guaranteed, but cracking open the Tivo will void the warranty I am assuming. In case of some kind of failure/disaster, I'd hate to be on the hook for $299. Any tips for opening the box without voiding the warranty?
Old 09-22-2010, 03:30 PM   #716
Shagger

It looks like there is the SATA power connector in there, I wonder if it would be good to split that and run a fan connector in there to cool the HD further...
Old 09-22-2010, 03:33 PM   #717
richsadams

Quote:
One small hitch in my plan, I am planning on getting the Tivo deal for a free Premiere and pay $19.99 for the service. I'd have 30 days for satisfaction guaranteed, but cracking open the Tivo will void the warranty I am assuming. In case of some kind of failure/disaster, I'd hate to be on the hook for $299. Any tips for opening the box without voiding the warranty?
Yes, opening the case does void the warranty. Once upon a time TiVo had one of those little foil stickers wrapped around the case and the back of the box that would be destroyed if the case were opened. They gave up on that years ago though. TiVo modding is a known but never acknowledged activity with TiVo. There have only been a couple of reported instances where TiVo denied warranty service due to an upgrade (as long as the box was returned in original condition) over the years.

If you were to upgrade the hard drive TiVo can verify that if they look at their logs. Odds are remote that they would do that though.

If you keep the original hard drive on the shelf you can slip it back in and no one will be the wiser unless you leave half of your PB&J sandwich inside or have a code of ethics that requires you to confess everything you've ever done to anyone that will listen.

In other words, there s/b nothing to worry about. That said, if it were me I wouldn't upgrade it until you're certain that it's working properly. It's recommended that anyone operate a new TiVo for 30 days or so to be sure it's going to be okay. Most problems with CE products show up very quickly, but a little "burn-in" time doesn't hurt. YMMV of course.
Old 09-22-2010, 03:39 PM   #718
richsadams

Quote:
It looks like there is the SATA power connector in there, I wonder if it would be good to split that and run a fan connector in there to cool the HD further...
IMO you don't have anything to worry about. A number of reports here and elsewhere (with both Premiere, TiVo HD and Series3 upgrades) indicate that the larger hard drives aren't raising TiVo's ambient temperature more than a couple of degrees if at all. (The temperature can be viewed on TiVo's System Information screen at any time). If you avoid high-speed drives (a la, WD Black series or any gaming HDD) you s/b fine. The recommended WD GP and GP AV drives run quite cool and quiet.
Old 09-22-2010, 03:42 PM   #719
Shagger

Well I had wanted to upgrade BEFORE I filled it up with recordings so the transfer went quicker. I suppose I should be patient and wait...
Old 09-22-2010, 03:46 PM   #720
RichB

Quote:
Save your disk and take care to not dent or scratch anything.
There is no seal that indicates that is was opened.
If unit fails, you first try the original disk, if it boots re-upgrade.
If not leave the original in and send it in that way.

- Rich