Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-18-2010, 06:57 PM   #6541
Robbdoe1
Tivo Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbdoe1 View Post
I got the same drive from Newegg dated 8/16/10 and I'm shooting for a weekend upgrade so let us know. I got my fingers crossed.

Robb
I just upgraded my THD to a WD10EVDS from Newegg dated 8/16/10. No soft reboot problems and 157 glorious HD hours.

Thanks for all the help and recommendations.

Robb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Robbdoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 07:06 PM   #6542
richsadams

Quote:
I just upgraded my THD to a WD10EVDS from Newegg dated 8/16/10. No soft reboot problems and 157 glorious HD hours.

Thanks for all the help and recommendations.

Robb
Sahweet!
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 08:18 PM   #6543
blacknoi

I just upgraded my Tivo Series 3, purchased in September 2006. I had the stock hard drive in it and only upgraded for more space. The original drive was performing fine.

I bought a Western Digital 1 TB AV-GP SATA OEM AV Hard Drive WD10EVDS

from Amazon for $77.99.

I used WinMFS and did a full copy over using 2 external USB enclosures. It took about 7 hours.

When it was done, I put the drive into the Tivo to test it out. I let it sit for over 10 minutes and it never got past "Powering Up, Please Wait." So I searched out wdidle.exe and found the bootdisc iso. I hooked up the drive to my desktop computer and booted with the boot disc. I ran wdidle3 /S300 and got the confirmation.

I then put it back into my Series 3, and it booted. I did a soft boot test as well with the 3 thumbs down + enter and it rebooted successfully.

The drive was manufactured July 2010.

Last edited by blacknoi : 09-18-2010 at 09:05 PM.
blacknoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 08:57 PM   #6544
Robbdoe1
Tivo Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknoi View Post
I just upgraded my Tivo Series 3, purchased in September 2006. I had the stock hard drive in it and only upgraded for more space. The original drive was performing fine.

I bought a Western Digital 1 TB AV-GP SATA OEM AV Hard Drive WD10EVDS

from Amazon for $77.99.

I used WinMFS and did a full copy over using 2 external USB enclosures. It took about 7 hours.

When it was done, I put the drive into the Tivo to test it out. I let it sit for over 10 minutes and it never got past "Powering Up, Please Wait." So I searched out wdidle.exe and found the bootdisc iso. I hooked up the drive to my desktop computer and booted with the boot disc. I ran wdidle3 /S300 and got the confirmation.

I then put it back into my Series 3, and it booted. I did a soft boot test as well with the 3 thumbs down + enter and it rebooted successfully.

The drive was manufactured July 2010.
So it looks like August may be the key date for this drive. We had 1 successful August and 1 unsuccessful July (yours)in the last 2 days as reported here. Still waiting to here from CaseyK24 on his results. Still iffy at best. Good looking out getting it going with wdidle.

Robb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Robbdoe1 : 09-18-2010 at 09:02 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 09-18-2010, 09:30 PM   #6545
mkkelly75

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Congratulations! Without being too picky, did you happen to notice the what day in September? That can make a difference...although it looks like most drive post August 10th 2010 or so are free and clear. Seems some of the much earlier EADS series doesn't have any issues either. IIRC your other drive was Sept 20th 2009? TIA and enjoy!
I believe both of mine (1 in Premiere, 1 in TiVo HD) were Sep 9 2009 Manf dates. I had a Seagate 1TB in the TiVo HD before, amazing how much quieter the WD's are.
mkkelly75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 09:33 PM   #6546
mkkelly75

Quote:
Congratulations! Without being too picky, did you happen to notice the what day in September? That can make a difference...although it looks like most drive post August 10th 2010 or so are free and clear. Seems some of the much earlier EADS series doesn't have any issues either. IIRC your other drive was Sept 20th 2009? TIA and enjoy!
Whoops, you are right, the drive I used in my Premiere did have a Sept 20 2009 manufacture date. The one I used today for the TiVo HD was Sept 9 2009.
mkkelly75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 10:00 PM   #6547
cr33p

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
So, how many HD hours do you have now?
289 at the moment, until we figure out how to super size to 319 like DVR dudes drives are
cr33p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 02:35 AM   #6548
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkkelly75 View Post
I believe both of mine (1 in Premiere, 1 in TiVo HD) were Sep 9 2009 Manf dates. I had a Seagate 1TB in the TiVo HD before, amazing how much quieter the WD's are.
Thanks for that and enjoy!
Old 09-19-2010, 01:08 PM   #6549
silypuddy

Need some help here...

I'm trying to upgrade by THD stock drive to a 1TB Hitachi. (I got one of the recommended list). I pulled the THD drive, fired up my Win7 box and WinMFS doesn't see my THD drive. I tried a reboot and as far as I know, the drive is up and running (I can feel it running).

I put the THD drive back into the TiVo and it's still good so I didn't mess it up (phew). Any suggestions? Does WinMFS work on a Win7 64 bit box?

Thanks in advance...
Old 09-19-2010, 01:35 PM   #6550
Robbdoe1
Tivo Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by silypuddy View Post
Need some help here...

I'm trying to upgrade by THD stock drive to a 1TB Hitachi. (I got one of the recommended list). I pulled the THD drive, fired up my Win7 box and WinMFS doesn't see my THD drive. I tried a reboot and as far as I know, the drive is up and running (I can feel it running).

I put the THD drive back into the TiVo and it's still good so I didn't mess it up (phew). Any suggestions? Does WinMFS work on a Win7 64 bit box?

Thanks in advance...
WinMFS is reported to work on the following Windows Versions:
Win XP Sp2 and Sp3, Win XP 64 Sp2, Win2003 Sp1, Win2003 64 Sp1, Vista, Vista 64

I don't know why it would not work on Windows7, But the above is from the Winmfs site.

Maybe someone who had successs using 7 can confirm it works or does not?

Restart Winmfs by right clicking and running as admin. There is also a check box to show mounted drives, try that.

Robb

Old 09-19-2010, 01:57 PM   #6551
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Need some help here...

Thanks in advance...
It works fine on Windows 7 x64; I've used it there. Just remember to run it as administrator, otherwise you won't see your drives.

dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 02:19 PM   #6552
silypuddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow View Post
It works fine on Windows 7 x64; I've used it there. Just remember to run it as administrator, otherwise you won't see your drives.
Yup.. that did the trick.. I had forgotten that Win7 still had that damn Admin "feature". I thought being logged in as Admin was good enough..

Copying is happening as we speak...

BTW, I didn't have to do any sound attenuation for the Hitachi drive I picked up of Amazon, or at least I wasn't given the option by the tool...
Old 09-19-2010, 03:58 PM   #6553
richsadams

Quote:
BTW, I didn't have to do any sound attenuation for the Hitachi drive I picked up of Amazon, or at least I wasn't given the option by the tool...
Adjusting the AAM is a completely separate process, nothing to do with winMFS. Read the FAQ for the instructions (Section IV, #32).

Happy upgrading!
Old 09-19-2010, 04:00 PM   #6554
silypuddy

Yet another newbie question...

I started the copy about two hours ago and it's still running. The faq says it should take about 90 minutes to copy the settings and shows which is what I am trying to do. Should I wait, or cancel the operation and try again? I'm guessing that the drive is about 40% full.

The progress bar is stuck at five and it's not showing any errors.

Thanks in advance...
Old 09-19-2010, 04:15 PM   #6555
richsadams

Quote:
Yet another newbie question...

I started the copy about two hours ago and it's still running. The faq says it should take about 90 minutes to copy the settings and shows which is what I am trying to do. Should I wait, or cancel the operation and try again? I'm guessing that the drive is about 40% full.

The progress bar is stuck at five and it's not showing any errors.

Thanks in advance...
If it's a simple truncated backup of the settings (guide data, season passes, cable card, etc.), that only takes a few minutes. It sounds like you're doing a full copy and restore (settings, recordings, etc.). The time it takes to do that is in direct proportion to the data on the original drive. It can take more than three hours if the drive is nearly full...probably less if not. The other deciding factor is the connection. A direct SATA connection will be much faster than using a USB/SATA adapter. The speed of your PC as well as having other programs running at the same time can have an impact too.

The "progress bar" doesn't work well. Things can be going fine and the program will appear to be stuck. The best thing to do is open task manager...right click on the task bar at the bottom of the screen (or better yet download and use Process Explorer)...and view the winMFS line. You'll probably see activity. If not you'd need to start from scratch, but it's almost certainly still running.

Another hint is to move the program's windows around each time one comes up to see if there's anything behind them. In particular the authorization screen for "Supersize" can appear behind one of the regular winMFS windows on occasion.

Have some patience and once you're done you'll be a pro!
Old 09-19-2010, 04:26 PM   #6556
silypuddy

Quote:
Adjusting the AAM is a completely separate process, nothing to do with winMFS. Read the FAQ for the instructions (Section IV, #32).

Happy upgrading!
Yup, I downloaded the tool and ran it. The AAM option was not enabled on this drive:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product

Do I have the wrong drive? Does it matter?
Old 09-19-2010, 04:30 PM   #6557
silypuddy

Quote:
If it's a simple truncated backup of the settings (guide data, season passes, cable card, etc.), that only takes a few minutes. It sounds like you're doing a full copy and restore (settings, recordings, etc.). The time it takes to do that is in direct proportion to the data on the original drive. It can take more than three hours if the drive is nearly full...probably less if not. The other deciding factor is the connection. A direct SATA connection will be much faster than using a USB/SATA adapter. The speed of your PC as well as having other programs running at the same time can have an impact too.

The "progress bar" doesn't work well. Things can be going fine and the program will appear to be stuck. The best thing to do is open task manager...right click on the task bar at the bottom of the screen (or better yet download and use Process Explorer)...and view the winMFS line. You'll probably see activity. If not you'd need to start from scratch, but it's almost certainly still running.

Another hint is to move the program's windows around each time one comes up to see if there's anything behind them. In particular the authorization screen for "Supersize" can appear behind one of the regular winMFS windows on occasion.

Have some patience and once you're done you'll be a pro!
Yea, I am at 2 1/2 hours right now and the process monitor is showing no activity for winMFS. I'll give it another 20 minutes and if nothing happens, just do a restore of the backup onto the new drive. I don't have to save the shows, just thought it would be nice.

As for speed of the PC, I've plugged in directly to the internal sata ports. The PC is a Core I7-930 and this is all it's doing. So it probably feels insulted doing these menial tasks...
Old 09-19-2010, 05:47 PM   #6558
richsadams

Quote:
Yup, I downloaded the tool and ran it. The AAM option was not enabled on this drive:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product

Do I have the wrong drive? Does it matter?
You s/b able to set it to 128 using hddscan or the Hitachi Feature Tool v2.11. If one doesn't work, try the other. They are very quiet drives (at least the 3 I have are) so you may be fine w/o messing with it, but JIC.

Quote:
Yea, I am at 2 1/2 hours right now and the process monitor is showing no activity for winMFS. I'll give it another 20 minutes and if nothing happens, just do a restore of the backup onto the new drive. I don't have to save the shows, just thought it would be nice.

As for speed of the PC, I've plugged in directly to the internal sata ports. The PC is a Core I7-930 and this is all it's doing. So it probably feels insulted doing these menial tasks...
Ha! Could be! But it sounds like the copy/expand process may have hung...it happens. You s/b able to copy everything including your recordings though so I'd give that another shot.
Old 09-20-2010, 01:43 PM   #6559
mphtrilogy

Quote:
Actually as noted above, the newer WD My Book AV DVR Expander will work with the TiVo HD as noted by several folks here and a number of reviews on Amazon's website (and even one on newegg).

Agreed about upgrading the internal hard drive in lieu of connecting an external.
I can't upgrade the internal at the moment and was planning to go through with the external hard drive (1TB), which version is reocmmended? The WD Version 2.0 USB/Esata MY Book, or the older 1TB WD version with just Esata?

It looks to me the newer version might be more reliable as it has a longer warranty. This is for a TIVO HD
mphtrilogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 05:52 PM   #6560
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by mphtrilogy View Post
I can't upgrade the internal at the moment and was planning to go through with the external hard drive (1TB), which version is reocmmended? The WD Version 2.0 USB/Esata MY Book, or the older 1TB WD version with just Esata?

It looks to me the newer version might be more reliable as it has a longer warranty. This is for a TIVO HD
The newest WD My Book AV DVR Expander hasn't been out long enough to have a track record, however with the two-year warranty I would definitely go with the it rather than the older model.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:41 PM   #6561
CaseyK24

Quote:
So it looks like August may be the key date for this drive. We had 1 successful August and 1 unsuccessful July (yours)in the last 2 days as reported here. Still waiting to here from CaseyK24 on his results. Still iffy at best. Good looking out getting it going with wdidle.

Robb
You can mark in one more successful August 24th 2010 WD10EVDS upgrade. No wdidle needed - soft reboot works fine. (Bought from Buy.com so they have the latest it seems - East coast if there are different shipping centers).

I did notice one thing about SuperSizing the drive though. When the remote restore was complete it did ask if I wanted to expand the drive - I picked "yes". It said it was set so I put back in the Tivo and I only had 141 HD hours listed. So I hooked it back up to the computer and explicitly selected Tools->MfsSuperSize->On. This explicit step worked as now I have 157 HD hours listed. So I would recommend - even if you pick yes to expand the drive - also go through the menu for the MfsSuperSize to be safe.

Casey
CaseyK24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 01:47 PM   #6562
CaseyK24

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyK24 View Post
You can mark in one more successful August 24th 2010 WD10EVDS upgrade. No wdidle needed - soft reboot works fine. (Bought from Buy.com so they have the latest it seems - East coast if there are different shipping centers).

I did notice one thing about SuperSizing the drive though. When the remote restore was complete it did ask if I wanted to expand the drive - I picked "yes". It said it was set so I put back in the Tivo and I only had 141 HD hours listed. So I hooked it back up to the computer and explicitly selected Tools->MfsSuperSize->On. This explicit step worked as now I have 157 HD hours listed. So I would recommend - even if you pick yes to expand the drive - also go through the menu for the MfsSuperSize to be safe.

Casey
Also you mentioned the 1 July date didn't work but the reason I went ahead and got the WD10EVDS in the first place was because of a successful July date story in here as follows:

Originally Posted by S3-2501 View Post
A relative of mine was getting worried that her DVR expander would be failing soon, so I offered to help her upgrade her internal drive. She got a WD10EVDS from Amazon, manufactured on 7/26/10. After divorcing her expander, copying her old drive to the WD10EVDS, expanding, supersizing,etc. it booted up fine, and passed a soft menu reboot as well. Her original drive had the latest software, 11.0h
CaseyK24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 01:49 PM   #6563
Robbdoe1
Tivo Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyK24 View Post

Casey
Thanks for the feedback. Glad you are running .

I think expanding the drive and supersize are 2 different things. I expanded when it asked me and before I removed the drive I supersized and had the 157 hours.

Robb

Old 09-21-2010, 02:01 PM   #6564
tcfcameron
(4) 2TB TiVo HDs

Proper "Swap" Partition size when using the "Broflovski" image with a 2TB hard drive?

What is the proper "swap" size to enter into WinMFS when using the "Broflovski" image with a 2TB hard drive?

WinMFS does not try to calculate for you, it just defaults to 128MB.

I've been using the "Take the size in GB, divide by 2, then convert to MB" calculation, which comes out to 1024MB. This is for my TiVo HDs.

This gives me 318 hours maximum of HD capacity (but I see other who are upgrading to 2TB that are saying they get 319).

I've been having problems with KickStart commands, suck as KS57 / 58, putting my TiVos into the GSOD "death loop", and I have had to re-image two, out of four TiVos because of this.

I'm using WD20EADS drives, w/IntelliPark & AAM disabled.

I have also started a new thread asking the same, as I have a feeling that the answers I hear will likely vary. I'm expecting to hear: "Leave it at the default", "That's too big, but the default is too small", and probably a whole slew of opinions and personal experiences. I welcome any input that may lead to a consensus on the correct size.

http://tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/sho...d.php?t=456053

Last edited by tcfcameron : 09-21-2010 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Added link to dedicated thread
tcfcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 03:54 PM   #6565
cr33p

I have never changed it on any machine I own or sold, including the brolovski image
cr33p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 04:23 PM   #6566
tcfcameron
(4) 2TB TiVo HDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr33p View Post
I have never changed it on any machine I own or sold, including the brolovski image
A year ago, when mine were still stock, I got the GSOD "death loop" on two within days of each other.

I spent a week researching, and the most consistent information I could come up with, at that time, was that:

1. I couldn't actually recover from the situation (without buying Instant Cake, and also losing all data).

2. That TiVo used too small of a swap file/partition, which caused the TiVo to run out of memory, so it couldn't repair some data integrity problems, and thus would wind up in the GSOD loop.

I really haven't seen anything since then that contradicts these two points, except that if you keep an image backup around, IC becomes irrelevant.
tcfcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 07:51 PM   #6567
TiVo Bob W

Quote:
IV. Unsupported External Drives (also known as "Non-Verified" drives)

18. Can I upgrade the built-in hard drive with a larger model without affecting my eSATA drive?

You can do that with the MFSLive bootCD if you are still using the original, factory-installed TiVo drive. You cannot do this if the internal drive was previously upgraded. Note this capability is not yet supported in WinMFS, but it could be added in a future version. Credit to spike2k5 for this answer.
After many failed attempts and getting nowhere over on MFSLive.org I am requesting that the above be removed from the FAQ. I have tried multiple ways to accomplish the above and have yet find anyone that has succeeded.

Thanks, Bob

PS - If spike2k5 would like to chime in I'm listening...
Old 09-21-2010, 08:20 PM   #6568
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVo Bob W View Post
After many failed attempts and getting nowhere over on MFSLive.org I am requesting that the above be removed from the FAQ. I have tried multiple ways to accomplish the above and have yet find anyone that has succeeded.

Thanks, Bob

PS - If spike2k5 would like to chime in I'm listening...
That sounds frustrating. I haven't ever tried it but IIRC some folks did that successfully however it's been a long time since I read about anyone trying it.

So based on your signature you have an un-modded/stock TiVo Series3 and a "non-approved" eSATA drive connected to it correct? If non-approved, did you use Kickstart 62 to connect the eSATA drive or did you connect it after the TiVo update that allowed plug and play expansion?

The reason I ask is that I think when Spike wrote those instructions...brought over by bkdtv, it applied to stock TiVo hard drives (in the case of the Series3 a 250GB drive) and an "unapproved" eSATA drive, something other than the P&P My DVR Expanders. It's my understanding (and I could easily be wrong, but this sticks in my memory for some reason) that any other configuration would not work as the directions suggest.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:28 PM   #6569
blacknoi

Quote:

Just to chime in here, when I was copying my 250GB stock S3 hard drive over to the new 1TB WD drive, it took 7 hours! This was with me forgetting to clear out all the suggestions first as well as the recently deleted folder.

So essentially, using 2 external USB sata enclosures, copying a full 250GB stock tivo drive takes that long. WinMFS about every 20-25 minutes would give an updated ETA of the time left, but with about 3 hours left, it just went wonky and said something like several THOUSAND hours were left. It still ended in the timeframe that the last accurate "time left" meter had reported.

The actual progress bar continued to move across the screen slowly, never freezing...although sometimes it took up to 30 minutes to get another "bar" to show up on the screen.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:49 PM   #6570
silypuddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknoi View Post
Just to chime in here, when I was copying my 250GB stock S3 hard drive over to the new 1TB WD drive, it took 7 hours! This was with me forgetting to clear out all the suggestions first as well as the recently deleted folder.

So essentially, using 2 external USB sata enclosures, copying a full 250GB stock tivo drive takes that long. WinMFS about every 20-25 minutes would give an updated ETA of the time left, but with about 3 hours left, it just went wonky and said something like several THOUSAND hours were left. It still ended in the timeframe that the last accurate "time left" meter had reported.

The actual progress bar continued to move across the screen slowly, never freezing...although sometimes it took up to 30 minutes to get another "bar" to show up on the screen.
I ended up just doing a restore onto the 1tb drive. I was just trying to save the kid's shows.. which they can live without..

Funny thing though, when I looked at the NPL, it had the copied shows. I just deleted them to be safe. Box has been running well.. but I can hear the drive.. debating if I should fix that...

Now I have a much bigger problem... and that's TiVo related. They changed my channel lineup... problem is that my channels didn't change so ALL my season passes are DOA until they roll back the change. I called it in and was told the standard 3-5 business days. I told him he needs to escalate as all of Minneapolis/St. Paul is affected and no-body's season pass will work.

Let's see if they listen....