TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-10-2010, 05:53 AM   #2611
gtalvola

I installed mkttg v0p7m on Windows 7. It doesn't see my Tivos even though Tivo Desktop does. Also, when I open up the Configuration page and then click OK, even without changing any settings, I get an error message:

java.lang.NullPointerException
at java.util.Hashtable.containsKey(Unknown Source)
at com.tivo.kmttg.task.autotune.init(autotune.java:170)
at com.tivo.kmttg.task.autotune.disable(autotune.java:190)
at com.tivo.kmttg.gui.configMain.write(configMain.java:1238)
at com.tivo.kmttg.gui.configMain.okCB(configMain.java:172)

Anyone else seen this? I suspect there's some setup step I've missed.
gtalvola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:15 AM   #2612
moyekj

kmttg uses Bonjour to detect TiVos on the network which must not be working on your network. There is code to use the older detection method which maybe is what you are using in TiVo Desktop, but it's currently disabled in kmttg. You can manually specify TiVos on your network which is an option assuming their IP #s don't change:
File-Configure-Tivos, specify name & IP and click on ADD then OK

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:21 AM   #2613
gtalvola

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
kmttg uses Bonjour to detect TiVos on the network which must not be working on your network. There is code to use the older detection method which maybe is what you are using in TiVo Desktop, but it's currently disabled in kmttg. You can manually specify TiVos on your network which is an option assuming their IP #s don't change:
File-Configure-Tivos, specify name & IP and click on ADD then OK
I did try entering my Tivos IP's manually which also didn't work, but I'm also having the other error where I get a stack trace when I try to click OK in the config GUI, so I'm not sure any of my config changes are actually taking effect. That makes me think there's something fundamental going wrong, like maybe I need to run kmttg as administrator or turn off my windows firewall or something. I'll experiment this weekend and report back my results.

mkttg does successfully decrypt and transcode local files that I downloaded using Tivo Desktop, so it's not completely broken for me.
gtalvola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:32 AM   #2614
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtalvola View Post
I did try entering my Tivos IP's manually which also didn't work, but I'm also having the other error where I get a stack trace when I try to click OK in the config GUI, so I'm not sure any of my config changes are actually taking effect. That makes me think there's something fundamental going wrong, like maybe I need to run kmttg as administrator or turn off my windows firewall or something. I'll experiment this weekend and report back my results.

mkttg does successfully decrypt and transcode local files that I downloaded using Tivo Desktop, so it's not completely broken for me.
Looks like there's a bug related to autotune stuff when no TiVos are initially available I will have to fix. For now easiest thing to do is for you to use previous version of kmttg:
http://kmttg.googlecode.com/files/kmttg_v0p7l.zip
You will probably still have to specify TiVo name & IP manually but at least after clicking OK kmttg should be able to save settings with that version.

Old 09-11-2010, 01:34 PM   #2615
moyekj

v0p7n version released

v0p7n version just released. Enhancements include setting to use native java for downloads instead of curl and option to revert back to TiVo beacon mechanism for TiVo detection instead of Bonjour (which may not work for some people). There were also some bug fixes related to Autotune configuration.
See release notes for full details.

Old 09-12-2010, 10:18 AM   #2616
ellinj
Seems Very Friendly

Gearing up for the fall tv schedule, I am rethinking how I use kmttg. Can anyone recommend a good format to balance

encoding speed/playback quality that can playback on both the AppleTV and Ipad.

File Size isn't really an issue.
ellinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 10:20 AM   #2617
Icarus

If file size isn't an issue, 720p, 29.97fps for hi-def content.

-David
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 10:35 AM   #2618
ellinj
Seems Very Friendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
If file size isn't an issue, 720p, 29.97fps for hi-def content.

-David
which encoder profile?
ellinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 04:51 PM   #2619
ferror

Running with the latest version v0p7n. I am trying the java downloads instead of curl. The javaplaylist task fails with this:

>> Getting Now Playing List from Bedroom ...
https://10.20.1.21/TiVoConnect?Comma...AnchorOffset=0
http IO exception for: https://10.20.1.21/TiVoConnect?Comma...AnchorOffset=0
Read timed out
Failed to retrieve Now Playing List from Bedroom
Check YOUR MAK & IP settings

Interestingly, one of my TiVo units (which is the exact same model but has a smaller disk) does successfully download the playlist using java. Switching back to using curl still works for all of them. It seems as if the amount of time it takes to download the playlist could be a factor.
ferror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 06:37 PM   #2620
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferror View Post
Running with the latest version v0p7n. I am trying the java downloads instead of curl. The javaplaylist task fails with this:

>> Getting Now Playing List from Bedroom ...
https://10.20.1.21/TiVoConnect?Comma...AnchorOffset=0
http IO exception for: https://10.20.1.21/TiVoConnect?Comma...AnchorOffset=0
Read timed out
Failed to retrieve Now Playing List from Bedroom
Check YOUR MAK & IP settings

Interestingly, one of my TiVo units (which is the exact same model but has a smaller disk) does successfully download the playlist using java. Switching back to using curl still works for all of them. It seems as if the amount of time it takes to download the playlist could be a factor.
OK thanks for feedback. This is something I can never test since I never have many shows on my TiVos. Having said that I set the timeout to be only 10 seconds which is too low. If I set it to 1 second I can get my playlists to fail as well. I should probably set it to 2 minutes or something along those lines by default (I actually forgot to change it to a more reasonable value before release).

Last edited by moyekj : 09-12-2010 at 06:43 PM.
Old 09-12-2010, 06:49 PM   #2621
moyekj

v0p7o version released

v0p7o version just posted with Java download timeouts changed to 2 minutes instead of 10 secs (so that bigger playlist retrieval doesn't time out). Thanks to ferror for pointing it out.

Old 09-13-2010, 11:36 AM   #2622
ferror

Thank you. I tried it and the 2 minute timeout solves the problem I was having. When that was solved, I started having another problem but I haven't been able to put my finger on it. Not sure if it was autotune, my TiVos, or something else, but I was getting errors with my downloads part of the time. I'll report if I narrow anything down.
ferror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 06:53 PM   #2623
tivowiz

did you happen to tune something in the v0p7o version that makes the initial download of the playlist go faster? Before this, my playlist downloads were taking a very long time (using curl on ubuntu 10.04), I just grabbed the latest release and it grabbed my playlist in seconds.

I have to say that this program is great - it allows me to share my Tivo's with other systems painlessly. Combined with pyTivo and streambaby my fileserver is actually a media server (as it should be).
Thanks!
tivowiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 07:55 PM   #2624
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivowiz View Post
did you happen to tune something in the v0p7o version that makes the initial download of the playlist go faster? Before this, my playlist downloads were taking a very long time (using curl on ubuntu 10.04), I just grabbed the latest release and it grabbed my playlist in seconds.
No. The TiVo web server can only return up to 128 entries at a time, so if you have more than 128 recordings it can take multiple calls to grab them all which can take a while. The only intended change was kmttg now reports how many total entries there are to process after the 1st call so you get status updates as playing list is retrieved, but the download using curl is same as always.
(I hope the reason it's faster is not because somehow kmttg is not actually getting all the shows you have recorded due to some bug introduced).

Old 09-16-2010, 12:35 PM   #2625
Eamus Catuli

Question Problem with audio sync even with VideoReDo

Folks, I need some help to sort out an audio sync problem I'm having.

First, a little history. When I first started using kmttg, I tried using Ad detect/Ad cut and the resulting file had audio sync issues. So I removed Ad detect/Ad cut and everything was fine (well, it was a bit of a pain to try and skip over commercials on my iPod touch).

In the past few days, I've added VideoReDo to my environment hoping to get sync-problem-free files and make my iPod touch viewing more enjoyable.

Yesterday, I got kmttg set up to use VideoReDo, enabled VRD QS fix, then re-enabled Ad detect/Ad cut, and tried to convert my first TiVo recording. I played it this morning and the audio sync issue I had before has returned. It seemed better than before but that's my subjective view. While the conversion was running it sure looked like VideoReDo was invoked.

So my question is - what might I be missing that is causing the synch issue? Do I need to configure anything on VideoReDo itself? Or maybe I need to change something on kmttg? (maybe I should have kept the log ) Is there something I should watch for to prove that VideoReDo is actually being used to remove the commercials?

I'm using:

Windows 7 x64
encoding with hb_iphone.enc

Thanks for any advice! ... Mike
Eamus Catuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 12:50 PM   #2626
moyekj

Some things to try:
1. Play back the recording in iTunes on your PC to check if it is also out of sync there. I've seen cases when PC playback was fine and in sync but playback on iPod touch was slightly out of sync - not much can really be done about that as it's likely iPod decoder issue.
2. Check the .mpg file that is being used as source for encoding by playing it back on your computer to see if it's in sync. That file has supposedly been run through VRD QS Fix if you have that enabled. If that file is out of sync then that's the problem, though I highly doubt that's the case if it has been run through VRD QS Fix.
3. Try ff_iphone encoding profile instead of hb_iphone to see if that works any better.

It should be fairly obvious from kmttg message window if VRD QS Fix is being run or not. Most likely if VRD QS Fix task is enabled then it is being run. You can save messages to a file using File->Save messages to file or just copy/paste directly from message window.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:15 PM   #2627
tivowiz

Quote:
No. The TiVo web server can only return up to 128 entries at a time, so if you have more than 128 recordings it can take multiple calls to grab them all which can take a while. The only intended change was kmttg now reports how many total entries there are to process after the 1st call so you get status updates as playing list is retrieved, but the download using curl is same as always.
(I hope the reason it's faster is not because somehow kmttg is not actually getting all the shows you have recorded due to some bug introduced).
Ahh - that all makes sense - After transferring many shows to my server I removed them from the Tivo, which dropped the total count down to under 128 (actually its at 92 now). Don't worry, I still see all the shows.
Thanks
tivowiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 09:59 PM   #2628
Eamus Catuli

Smile Audio sync problem SOLVED by using ffmpeg

Quote:
Some things to try:
1. Play back the recording in iTunes on your PC to check if it is also out of sync there. I've seen cases when PC playback was fine and in sync but playback on iPod touch was slightly out of sync - not much can really be done about that as it's likely iPod decoder issue.
2. Check the .mpg file that is being used as source for encoding by playing it back on your computer to see if it's in sync. That file has supposedly been run through VRD QS Fix if you have that enabled. If that file is out of sync then that's the problem, though I highly doubt that's the case if it has been run through VRD QS Fix.
3. Try ff_iphone encoding profile instead of hb_iphone to see if that works any better.

It should be fairly obvious from kmttg message window if VRD QS Fix is being run or not. Most likely if VRD QS Fix task is enabled then it is being run. You can save messages to a file using File->Save messages to file or just copy/paste directly from message window.
Thanks moyekj! I tried your suggestions above and even a few more things that isolated the fault to the encoding stage. It looks like the ffmpeg encoder works much better than handbrake, at least for me.
Old 09-17-2010, 03:35 PM   #2629
Eamus Catuli

update to post 2628. It's still not perfect (but seems better using ffmpeg over handbrake). I also noticed that not all commercials were skipped. This is starting to sound more like a VideoReDo issue?? Does it matter what version I use? My research on the web found there is a TVSuite version 4. Would that work better than version 3 (I'm using 3.1.5-564) or the Plus version??
Old 09-17-2010, 03:45 PM   #2630
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eamus Catuli View Post
update to post 2628. It's still not perfect (but seems better using ffmpeg over handbrake). I also noticed that not all commercials were skipped. This is starting to sound more like a VideoReDo issue?? Does it matter what version I use? My research on the web found there is a TVSuite version 4. Would that work better than version 3 (I'm using 3.1.5-564) or the Plus version??
The version is current for VRD TVSuite. V4 is in beta.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 03:48 PM   #2631
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eamus Catuli View Post
If you're using auto commercial detection then it will never be perfect. For different shows you can tweak various settings and use custom comskip.ini files but I don't bother. If I want perfect commercial editing I find it quicker and easier to do it manually using VideoRedo, so I use the "Bring up VideoRedo GUI to make manual cuts" option in kmttg so that when "Ad Cut" task is enabled kmttg will bring up VideoRedo GUI for you to edit the show for that task and won't continue with subsequent tasks for that show until you exit the GUI. You can also leave Ad Detect step enabled and use the "Use VideoRedo GUI to review detected commercials" option, but personally I find to correct incorrectly detected commercials takes longer than just finding and defining the cut points correctly in the first place myself. To get latest versions of VideoRedo you need to visit the beta forums and download latest beta from there:
http://www.videoredo.net/msgBoard/forumdisplay.php?f=4
VideoRedo hasn't released "official" (non-beta) updates in a long time I think for any of the versions so the latest beta is what you need to get for most up to date.

Old 09-17-2010, 06:34 PM   #2632
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Quote:
...If I want perfect commercial editing I find it quicker and easier to do it manually using VideoRedo, so I use the "Bring up VideoRedo GUI to make manual cuts" option in kmttg...
Hmmm... Could the global option "Bring up VideoRedo GUI to make manual cuts" be made local in the auto-config process? Say you have some series' that comskip reliably detects all the commercial breaks, but yet have a couple of series that are ALWAYS wrong (mostly due to station identification logos being present during commercials). If there were a local override in auto-config (similar to the metadata/decrypt/qsfix/comskip/etc. options per entry), those specific errant series could be dealt with manually, while the majority(?) of other shows could go along their own merry way. I've not used "Bring up VideoRedo GUI to make manual cuts", so I don't know how the job queue behaves when that option is enabled...

orangeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 09:54 PM   #2633
Eamus Catuli

Quote:
If you're using auto commercial detection then it will never be perfect. For different shows you can tweak various settings and use custom comskip.ini files but I don't bother. If I want perfect commercial editing I find it quicker and easier to do it manually using VideoRedo, so I use the "Bring up VideoRedo GUI to make manual cuts" option in kmttg so that when "Ad Cut" task is enabled kmttg will bring up VideoRedo GUI for you to edit the show for that task and won't continue with subsequent tasks for that show until you exit the GUI. You can also leave Ad Detect step enabled and use the "Use VideoRedo GUI to review detected commercials" option, but personally I find to correct incorrectly detected commercials takes longer than just finding and defining the cut points correctly in the first place myself. To get latest versions of VideoRedo you need to visit the beta forums and download latest beta from there:
http://www.videoredo.net/msgBoard/forumdisplay.php?f=4
VideoRedo hasn't released "official" (non-beta) updates in a long time I think for any of the versions so the latest beta is what you need to get for most up to date.
Thanks for your help (and the great program too ). Since the stuff I put on my iPod touch is of the play-once-and-delete variety, it will be easier to just live with the commercials (which already provided me with perfect audio sync with handbrake when I unclicked Ad detect/Ad cut) than spend time manually editing them.

Out of curiosity, I ran the stuff I was having problems with into VideoReDo and I noticed some awful commercial cuts. I found a frame that had the commercial and the program (remnants of each) in the same frame! (not the usual fade to black). That may have sent the autodetect program into a bad spin.

Maybe I'll try it with a better source and see how it does.
Old 09-18-2010, 10:13 AM   #2634
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeboy View Post
Hmmm... Could the global option "Bring up VideoRedo GUI to make manual cuts" be made local in the auto-config process? Say you have some series' that comskip reliably detects all the commercial breaks, but yet have a couple of series that are ALWAYS wrong (mostly due to station identification logos being present during commercials). If there were a local override in auto-config (similar to the metadata/decrypt/qsfix/comskip/etc. options per entry), those specific errant series could be dealt with manually, while the majority(?) of other shows could go along their own merry way. I've not used "Bring up VideoRedo GUI to make manual cuts", so I don't know how the job queue behaves when that option is enabled...
I think that could be confusing because for service mode (non graphical) auto transfers mode obviously this graphical VRD option does not apply/cannot be run. As far as how it affects the queue any task for a show following the "Ad Cut" step is on hold until VRD GUI is closed for that show.

Old 09-18-2010, 11:53 AM   #2635
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Quote:
I think that could be confusing because for service mode (non graphical) auto transfers mode obviously this graphical VRD option does not apply/cannot be run. As far as how it affects the queue any task for a show following the "Ad Cut" step is on hold until VRD GUI is closed for that show.
Yeah, I use the hybrid loop-in-GUI option.

I guess a more appropriate question would be how the VRD GUI effects the Active Job limit. Is kmttg "active" while the VRD GUI is in play? If the Active Job limit were set to two, is it possible to have two instances of the VRD GUI? Would all other jobs just get queued?

Old 09-18-2010, 12:15 PM   #2636
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeboy View Post
Yeah, I use the hybrid loop-in-GUI option.

I guess a more appropriate question would be how the VRD GUI effects the Active Job limit. Is kmttg "active" while the VRD GUI is in play? If the Active Job limit were set to two, is it possible to have two instances of the VRD GUI? Would all other jobs just get queued?
VRD GUI jobs are NOT considered "active" and don't count against the Active Job limit.

Old 09-18-2010, 01:33 PM   #2637
srosen2004

new user

Just downloaded your program...

What is this error?
MAK not specified or not correct

The first time you bring up this window you will need to set the proper value for Total Disk Space (GB) field at the top of the window.

What is the size in GB? I have the TiVo that is 45 hours (not the larger 120 hours)

Thanks!

Still reading your release notes & how to use the software - what encoding is best for dvd with audio sync being ok?

I had been trying in vain to use Creator 10 that crashes all the time...
srosen2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 01:54 PM   #2638
keenanSR

I just tried to setup Autotune for my 2 TiVos(S3 and HD) and when I press the 'Test' button it returns 'telnet - Failed to connect to host: 192.168/.0.110, telnet - connect timed out' for both machines. Am I doing something wrong? The 'tune to' box is checked for each machine. It seems to me this worked for me on the previous version(j and m?).

Also, when I click on 'Ok' it shows 1 error, proceed....?

Version being used is 'v0p7o'

Thanks
keenanSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 02:02 PM   #2639
srosen2004

journals

Some shows work, some don't...
Reason?

Below is the journal for one that worked and one that did not work...

OK

>> CREATING H:\Programs\Louie - ''Dr. BenNick'' (Recorded Jul 6, 2010, FXHD)_cut.mpg.txt ...
H:\Programs\tivodecode\tivodecode.exe --mak MAK -D -x "H:\TV Shows\Louie\Louie - ''Dr. BenNick'' (Recorded Jul 6, 2010, FXHD).TiVo"
metadata job completed: 0:00:00
---DONE--- job=metadataTivo output=H:\Programs\Louie - ''Dr. BenNick'' (Recorded Jul 6, 2010, FXHD)_cut.mpg.txt
>> DECRYPTING H:\TV Shows\Louie\Louie - ''Dr. BenNick'' (Recorded Jul 6, 2010, FXHD).TiVo ...
H:\Programs\tivodecode\tivodecode.exe --mak MAK --out "H:\Programs\Louie - ''Dr. BenNick'' (Recorded Jul 6, 2010, FXHD).mpg" "H:\TV Shows\Louie\Louie - ''Dr. BenNick'' (Recorded Jul 6, 2010, FXHD).TiVo"
tivodecode job completed: 0:03:46
---DONE--- job=decrypt output=H:\Programs\Louie - ''Dr. BenNick'' (Recorded Jul 6, 2010, FXHD).mpg
>> Running comskip on H:\Programs\Louie - ''Dr. BenNick'' (Recorded Jul 6, 2010, FXHD).mpg ...
H:\Programs\comskip\comskip.exe --ini H:\Programs\comskip\comskip.ini "H:\Programs\Louie - ''Dr. BenNick'' (Recorded Jul 6, 2010, FXHD).mpg"

not OK

>> CREATING H:\Programs\Louie - ''DentistTarese'' (Recorded Aug 24, 2010, FXHD)_cut.mpg.txt ...
H:\Programs\tivodecode\tivodecode.exe --mak MAK -D -x "H:\TV Shows\Louie\Louie - ''DentistTarese'' (Recorded Aug 24, 2010, FXHD).TiVo"
metadata job completed: 0:00:00
---DONE--- job=metadataTivo output=H:\Programs\Louie - ''DentistTarese'' (Recorded Aug 24, 2010, FXHD)_cut.mpg.txt
>> DECRYPTING H:\TV Shows\Louie\Louie - ''DentistTarese'' (Recorded Aug 24, 2010, FXHD).TiVo ...
H:\Programs\tivodecode\tivodecode.exe --mak MAK --out "H:\Programs\Louie - ''DentistTarese'' (Recorded Aug 24, 2010, FXHD).mpg" "H:\TV Shows\Louie\Louie - ''DentistTarese'' (Recorded Aug 24, 2010, FXHD).TiVo"
tivodecode failed (exit code: 10 ) - check command: H:\Programs\tivodecode\tivodecode.exe --mak MAK --out "H:\Programs\Louie - ''DentistTarese'' (Recorded Aug 24, 2010, FXHD).mpg" "H:\TV Shows\Louie\Louie - ''DentistTarese'' (Recorded Aug 24, 2010, FXHD).TiVo"
TiVo Private Data : Unmatched Stream ID: No error
ts_handle_tivo_private_data failed: No error
processing frame: No error
Encryption by QUALCOMM
srosen2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 03:27 PM   #2640
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenanSR View Post
I just tried to setup Autotune for my 2 TiVos(S3 and HD) and when I press the 'Test' button it returns 'telnet - Failed to connect to host: 192.168/.0.110, telnet - connect timed out' for both machines. Am I doing something wrong? The 'tune to' box is checked for each machine. It seems to me this worked for me on the previous version(j and m?).

Also, when I click on 'Ok' it shows 1 error, proceed....?

Version being used is 'v0p7o'

Thanks
If you go to File > Config > TiVos tab, do all the IPs look correct in the dropdown?