TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-14-2010, 03:47 PM   #6481
ciucca

Quote:
Originally Posted by vectorcatch View Post
Did /D not work? What version of WDIDLE3 did you use? 1.00, 1.03 or 1.05?Many people have had issues with 1.03.

Does the Drive report the Idle Timer being disabled when you check it?
I'm not sure of the version. Yes it did report that the timer was disabled, after the command.
ciucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 05:56 PM   #6482
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
I was surprised it was that fast. I have heard here the backup/restore took many hours.
Those reports are usually from folks that do a full backup and restore including all of their recordings.

Congrats and enjoy!
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 06:10 PM   #6483
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Those reports are usually from folks that do a full backup and restore including all of their recordings.

Congrats and enjoy!
It was like a "full" backup, but with a rather near-empty drive, since the divorce of the expander left me with only 1 show in the recently deleted folder.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!

Last edited by ThAbtO : 09-14-2010 at 06:16 PM.
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 06:18 PM   #6484
richsadams

Quote:
It was like a "full" backup, but with a rather empty drive, since the divorce of the expander left me with only 1 show in the recently deleted folder.
You gave your computer a break! The three-plus hour backup and restore folks usually say their drives are about full...some forget to permanently delete all of the files from the Recently Deleted folder as well, so they get a copy of those too.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:08 PM   #6485
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
You gave your computer a break! The three-plus hour backup and restore folks usually say their drives are about full...some forget to permanently delete all of the files from the Recently Deleted folder as well, so they get a copy of those too.
I only have 1 computer with SATA ports, 1 old computer not even running XP, 1 currently inoperable due to PS, and a laptop.

~~~~~

Old 09-14-2010, 10:12 PM   #6486
cbad

Quote:
The TiVo/Intellipark issue has been addressed with the latest OS from TiVo (v11.0h) and the most recently manufactured drives from Western Digital.
My drive came today and it is dated Dec 26, 2009. Doesn't sound that recent. What do you think?

Thanks,

Jim
cbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 08:42 AM   #6487
Robbdoe1
Tivo Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbad View Post
My drive came today and it is dated Dec 26, 2009. Doesn't sound that recent. What do you think?

Thanks,

Jim
Rut Row. You never did say what drive you bought. There are still alot of conflicting reports regarding Intellipark. I went with the 10EV in hopes of avoiding having to fool with it. Let us know?

Thanks.
Robb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Robbdoe1 : 09-15-2010 at 11:35 AM.
Robbdoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 09:50 AM   #6488
cbad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbdoe1 View Post
Rut Row. You never did say what drive you got bought.
Sorry, it was a continuation of other posts, but with all the activity here I should have known better. It's a WD10EARS, dated Dec 26, 2009.

Thanks!
Old 09-15-2010, 11:35 AM   #6489
Robbdoe1
Tivo Obsessed

Quote:
Sorry, it was a continuation of other posts, but with all the activity here I should have known better. It's a WD10EARS, dated Dec 26, 2009.

Thanks!
I'm thinking you will have to mess with the Intellipark. You could always try it and do a soft reboot and see if it hangs. If it does then you can always run wdidle3. Do you have a spare Sata port on your PC's Mobo?

Robb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:26 PM   #6490
cbad

Quote:
you can always run wdidle3. Do you have a spare Sata port on your PC's Mobo?
Yea, a ton of them. Will wdidle3 solve any issues? If so, I'll investigate.

Thanks!
Old 09-15-2010, 12:39 PM   #6491
Robbdoe1
Tivo Obsessed

Quote:
Yea, a ton of them. Will wdidle3 solve any issues? If so, I'll investigate.

Thanks!

Yes It will solve or should solve the soft rebbot issue on that drive. Read back a few pages in this thread regarding the issue. Here is a link to wdidle3 from the first post of this thread, section V #14, give that a look see:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/kccixj

Robb

Last edited by Robbdoe1 : 09-15-2010 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Edit to add wdidle link
Old 09-16-2010, 03:25 PM   #6492
s2krazy

Aloha everybody, I've been reading the last five or six pages of this 200 page thread and I need to post a couple of questions. First off, I'm a longtime Tivo user, from a Sony Series 1 to a Series 2 and my current Tivo HD (TCD652160). Recently, it's been experiencing freezes and stuttering which seem to indicate the hard drive is failing. My local cable provider had a series of outages yesterday and when I was power cycling the tuning adapter and the Tivo I could not get past the " welcome, starting up" screen. All I have is a black/grey screen.

So I'm thinking about repairing the tivo myself vs. buying a drive kit from DVRUpgrade or Weaknees etc. It seems as if the general consensus is that the 1 TB Hitachi Deskstar is a good choice. I already like them and I've actually got two of in my current PC. I am pretty comfortable working on the insides of these machines, I've built all of my PCs since the Pentium days.

However, I'd like to "think out loud" with everybody here to make sure I'm on the right track.

1) if my current hard drive has indeed gone belly up, does this mean that I will be unable to pull my settings from it? Or, if after I have the hard drive out of the tivo, can I plug it into my PC and "defrag it" or otherwise work on it?

2) if the drive is entirely unrecoverable, and I have a shiny new 1 TB drive, I'm assuming I'm going to need some kind of software on the drive to prepare it for use in the tivo. Is this WinMFS or do I need to buy InstantCake? Or is there another choice?

3) If I end up witb a new drive (and i couldn't copy the old info from the old drive), would I be correct in assuming that I may need to get Time Warner cable to roll a truck to re-pair the cable card with the tivo?

4) Finally, it's not entirely lost on me that I can buy an exact copy of my current tivo for under $200. I understand that my lifetime subscription is on the ROM of my existing Tivo, having a second of the same thing would give me a whole slew of replacement parts. While this might sound silly at first, if I ended up needing a new power supply and a hard drive and InstantCake, it's getting pretty close. (Not counting the significant difference in hard drive storage)

Anyway, there's a lot of racing coming up in the next two weeks and my Series 2 doesn't see Speed Channel or Verses so I may need to get a cable box (gasp) till I can get this figured out. I would welcome any input on my thoughts and if I'm missing anything. (I'm in Hawaii, so there is a hefty price to pay for shipping parts back and forth so I'd like to avoid it if at all possible)
Old 09-16-2010, 03:59 PM   #6493
richsadams

Welcome...sorry to hear about your "loss". See my answers below...

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2krazy View Post
Aloha everybody, I've been reading the last five or six pages of this 200 page thread and I need to post a couple of questions. First off, I'm a longtime Tivo user, from a Sony Series 1 to a Series 2 and my current Tivo HD (TCD652160). Recently, it's been experiencing freezes and stuttering which seem to indicate the hard drive is failing. My local cable provider had a series of outages yesterday and when I was power cycling the tuning adapter and the Tivo I could not get past the " welcome, starting up" screen. All I have is a black/grey screen.

So I'm thinking about repairing the tivo myself vs. buying a drive kit from DVRUpgrade or Weaknees etc. It seems as if the general consensus is that the 1 TB Hitachi Deskstar is a good choice. I already like them and I've actually got two of in my current PC. I am pretty comfortable working on the insides of these machines, I've built all of my PCs since the Pentium days.

However, I'd like to "think out loud" with everybody here to make sure I'm on the right track.

1) if my current hard drive has indeed gone belly up, does this mean that I will be unable to pull my settings from it? Or, if after I have the hard drive out of the tivo, can I plug it into my PC and "defrag it" or otherwise work on it?
It's hard to say if you'll be able to use your TiVo's current hard drive to create an image for a new one without trying. Generally speaking if TiVo hangs at the "Welcome! Powering up..." screen it means the hard drive cannot communicate with the motherboard. That can mean that the drive itself has failed. When you power TiVo up can you hear the hard drive spin up? (You may need to put your ear to the case...or pull the cover to hear it.) If not, the drive is dead and there's not much that can be done. PC's can't "see" TiVo formatted drives, so nothing to do there. There are programs like SpinRite that can read them and make repairs, but the program is around $100, so not really worth it in this circumstance.

If the drive is spinning up but still hanging at the Welcome screen it usually means that the boot disk partition (image) has been corrupted. If the drive spins up I'd recommend you try a couple of TiVo's built-in diagnostics called "Kickstarts", specifically KS57 and failing that, KS58. That may or may not resolve the issue but it's worth a try. More here:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...23&postcount=2

If that fixes things...at least allows you to boot up properly, you can use your drive to image a new one with winMFS.

Quote:
2) if the drive is entirely unrecoverable, and I have a shiny new 1 TB drive, I'm assuming I'm going to need some kind of software on the drive to prepare it for use in the tivo. Is this WinMFS or do I need to buy InstantCake? Or is there another choice?
If you cannot use the OEM image, then yes, you'll need to get a copy of Instant Cake.

Quote:
3) If I end up witb a new drive (and i couldn't copy the old info from the old drive), would I be correct in assuming that I may need to get Time Warner cable to roll a truck to re-pair the cable card with the tivo?
Yes, you'll essentially have a new TiVo and the cable cards will need to be bound or "re-paired".

Quote:
4) Finally, it's not entirely lost on me that I can buy an exact copy of my current tivo for under $200. I understand that my lifetime subscription is on the ROM of my existing Tivo, having a second of the same thing would give me a whole slew of replacement parts. While this might sound silly at first, if I ended up needing a new power supply and a hard drive and InstantCake, it's getting pretty close. (Not counting the significant difference in hard drive storage)
As you've probably gathered the hard drive is the number one failure point by a wide margin. That said, you'd need to have a listen to see if the hard drive is spinning up. Also does the exhaust fan spin? If so and since you can get to the Welcome screen the PS is probably okay. If not, it's remotely possible that the PS cannot drive the fan or the hard drive, but not likely. When the PS goes, that's usually it...nothing works.

Your call as to replacing your TiVo...plus IIRC there's a transfer fee if you want to move your LT sub to a new box.

Quote:
Anyway, there's a lot of racing coming up in the next two weeks and my Series 2 doesn't see Speed Channel or Verses so I may need to get a cable box (gasp) till I can get this figured out. I would welcome any input on my thoughts and if I'm missing anything. (I'm in Hawaii, so there is a hefty price to pay for shipping parts back and forth so I'd like to avoid it if at all possible)
I'd run the Kickstarts and see if things improve. If not, I'd plan on replacing the hard drive using winMFS and following the instruction in the FAQ carefully. Sounds like you're a pretty savvy guy so you shouldn't have any trouble.

Best of luck and let us know how it goes!

BTW, we used to live in Kailua (next to Kaneohe). Miss the weather and the beaches, but not having to fly to get to somewhere else! Okay bra, I'm all pau for now. Hope you like da kine help.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:35 PM   #6494
s2krazy

Quote:
Generally speaking if TiVo hangs at the "Welcome! Powering up..." screen it means the hard drive cannot communicate with the motherboard. That can mean that the drive itself has failed. When you power TiVo up can you hear the hard drive spin up?
Yes the HD is spinning (hear the familiar ticks) and the PS fan is working. There is a green light on the front, but nothing else shows. Including the yellow light acknowledging a remote control button press.
Quote:
If the drive spins up I'd recommend you try a couple of TiVo's built-in diagnostics called "Kickstarts", specifically KS57 and failing that, KS58. That may or may not resolve the issue but it's worth a try.
Thanks for the link, but are all the Kickstarts only available from Tivo Central? If so, then I think that this option is out since I can't get there. Interestingly one one re-boot (out of many) I did get to the Tivo cartoon, but when I hit "live TV" it went to the spinning 'acquiring channels' (cable card) and then to the black screen. I suppose I can keep trying to re-boot the system till I can get back there. Would you say that 'kickstarts' is the Tivo equivalent of the old DOS "chkdsk"?

Also, is there anything I should do regarding re-seating the cable card or power cycling the tuning adapter? Logically I don't think this is the issue, but I'm open to any suggestions.
Quote:
If you cannot use the OEM image, then yes, you'll need to get a copy of Instant Cake.
Got it.
Quote:
Your call as to replacing your TiVo...plus IIRC there's a transfer fee if you want to move your LT sub to a new box.
I was thinking of buying it to cannibalize it for spare parts. (ie properly formatted drive and new PS) Since the LT subscription is worth more than the hardware.
Quote:
BTW, we used to live in Kailua (next to Kaneohe). Miss the weather and the beaches, but not having to fly to get to somewhere else! Okay bra, I'm all pau for now. Hope you like da kine help.
Brah, I tink yo pidgeon is rusty li dat.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:48 PM   #6495
richsadams

Quote:
Thanks for the link, but are all the Kickstarts only available from Tivo Central? If so, then I think that this option is out since I can't get there. Interestingly one one re-boot (out of many) I did get to the Tivo cartoon, but when I hit "live TV" it went to the spinning 'acquiring channels' (cable card) and then to the black screen. I suppose I can keep trying to re-boot the system till I can get back there. Would you say that 'kickstarts' is the Tivo equivalent of the old DOS "chkdsk"?

Brah, I tink yo pidgeon is rusty li dat.
The animated TiVo intro is part of the boot image, so it sounds like that is where the problem lies.

The cable cards seat just like a PCMCIA card...in the slot and snug. Not sure about the tuning adapter (forgot you had those there). I've never used one so other than connecting it, I've no idea what else you could do.

You could try removing everything, cable cards, tuning adapter, coax, etc., everything except the connection to your TV and see if it will boot up. If it does it's probably still the hard drive, but it could be something else.

The Kickstarts are all initiated before TiVo ever boots up. Read and follow the instructions for KS57 and KS58 and see how it goes.

Yep...VERY rusty.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:04 PM   #6496
s2krazy

Quote:
The Kickstarts are all initiated before TiVo ever boots up. Read and follow the instructions for KS57 and KS58 and see how it goes.

Yep...VERY rusty.
Apparently, my ability to read is as bad as your pidgeon ;-) I see that Kickstarts can run right after you plug the unit back in. I did as instructed though I was surprised to have to hold pause for 45+ seconds and finally got to the GSOD. I ran "57" and turned the TV off and am now at work. When I get home, I'm guessing that I'll turn on the system and see if it's working. If its still on the black/gray screen I guess I'll try "58" and so on? "59" seems pretty drastic and I'm guessing it's your last resort?
Old 09-16-2010, 09:18 PM   #6497
richsadams

Quote:
Apparently, my ability to read is as bad as your pidgeon ;-) I see that Kickstarts can run right after you plug the unit back in. I did as instructed though I was surprised to have to hold pause for 45+ seconds and finally got to the GSOD. I ran "57" and turned the TV off and am now at work. When I get home, I'm guessing that I'll turn on the system and see if it's working. If its still on the black/gray screen I guess I'll try "58" and so on? "59" seems pretty drastic and I'm guessing it's your last resort?
I've been meaning to update that post for a while now (based on requested feedback from one of TiVo's employees that visits the TCF now and then). I revised the recommended sequence in which to run the Kickstarts:

1. Kickstart 57
2. Kickstart 54
3. Kickstart 58
4. Kickstart 52

I also updated and added a few details.

AFAIK there isn't a "KS59". None are really drastic; IOW there isn't anything that could make things worse.

A positive note is that KS57 began running. It's no guarantee that it can repair whatever the problem is, but the fact that it started is a good sign. So yes, if things went well with KS57 your TiVo might be happily humming along when you get home. If not, you have a few more choices before throwing in the towel.

Best of luck and let us know how it goes!
Old 09-16-2010, 09:34 PM   #6498
s2krazy

Sorry, I was going from memory at work. I was thinking that the 'reinstall software' (52) sounded more invasive that the other 'scan and repair' tests. One thing, I use a Harmony remote to turn on and off the TV and Receiver. When I left, I used this to shut down. Hopefully, it didn't send any codes to the Tivo (I don't think it does for shut down). Anyway, crossing my fingers that it'll be working when I get home. Will keep you posted on this.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:38 PM   #6499
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Tivo doesn't 'shutdown'.

~~~~~

Old 09-16-2010, 09:44 PM   #6500
s2krazy

Quote:
Tivo doesn't 'shutdown'.
I know but I was just commenting since I'd hate for a 'stray remote code' to interrupt my KS57 process.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:39 PM   #6501
cbad

Quote:
Yes It will solve or should solve the soft rebbot issue on that drive...
Arrggg....it was all going so well. I did the whole upgrade and it worked beautifully. All my settings and programs were there. I did a soft reboot, but it hung so I realized I needed wdidle3.

When I try to boot the CD, it blue screens with an error:

InitDiskillegal partition table - drive 03 sector 0
illegal partition table - drive 03 sector 0

I downloaded it a couple of times and burned it more even from different computers. Same result every time.

So, I'm really happy with the upgrad, the reboot thing is annoying but I could probably live with it even though I'd rather not!

Thanks!
Old 09-16-2010, 11:05 PM   #6502
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Borg vs. Tivo: Subscriptions are irrelevant!

~~~~~

Old 09-17-2010, 12:26 AM   #6503
richsadams

Quote:
Arrggg....it was all going so well. I did the whole upgrade and it worked beautifully. All my settings and programs were there. I did a soft reboot, but it hung so I realized I needed wdidle3.

I downloaded it a couple of times and burned it more even from different computers. Same result every time.

So, I'm really happy with the upgrad, the reboot thing is annoying but I could probably live with it even though I'd rather not!

Thanks!
Wow, that's a new one. Hopefully someone with some experience with that can jump in here and lend a hand.

Quote:
Borg vs. Tivo: Subscriptions are irrelevant!
Good one Eight of Nine.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:28 AM   #6504
richsadams

Quote:
Sorry, I was going from memory at work. I was thinking that the 'reinstall software' (52) sounded more invasive that the other 'scan and repair' tests. One thing, I use a Harmony remote to turn on and off the TV and Receiver. When I left, I used this to shut down. Hopefully, it didn't send any codes to the Tivo (I don't think it does for shut down). Anyway, crossing my fingers that it'll be working when I get home. Will keep you posted on this.
The "stray command" warning only applies to the SMART/KS54. The only thing that can negatively impact KS57 would be to unplug the unit before it finishes.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:34 AM   #6505
s2krazy

Ok, KS57 didn't work. I cane home to a black screen. I just started KS54. This time I'm checking the TV periodically and it's on the GSOD.
Old 09-17-2010, 03:28 AM   #6506
s2krazy

KS54 started on the GSOD and then reverted to black/grey. Maybe I missed the menus since I had the TV off or maybe I need to change cables. Anyway, the system seemed to be stuck again.

I decided to try 58 instead. The system went through several 'powering on' and 'almost there' and some 'installing software updates' before settling on another black/grey. I'm not sure how long I should let it stay in this state before I move on to KS52. At this point, I'll probably just leave it overnight.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:06 AM   #6507
Robbdoe1
Tivo Obsessed

Quote:

Thanks!
Did you connect straight to a Sata port/ No adapter?

Robb

Old 09-17-2010, 08:09 AM   #6508
cbad

Quote:
Did you connect straight to a Sata port/ No adapter?
Robb
Yep, one on the motherboard. Could I have downloaded the wrong file? The iso is named fdoem.iso. Maybe I'll give it a try on another computer and see what happens.

Thanks!
Old 09-17-2010, 08:45 AM   #6509
Robbdoe1
Tivo Obsessed

Quote:
Yep, one on the motherboard. Could I have downloaded the wrong file? The iso is named fdoem.iso. Maybe I'll give it a try on another computer and see what happens.

Thanks!
You could have. That link was from the first post. Maybe someone can provide the current link or confirm the one in the OP is correct?

Robb

Old 09-17-2010, 12:25 PM   #6510
DinoBambino

Quote:

Thanks!
That is the correct iso. I first burned the iso using Nero and encountered an issue. Then I burned another disk using Imgburn and worked fine.
DinoBambino is offline   Reply With Quote