Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-21-2010, 10:51 AM   #31
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnydersWeb View Post
To include ads in with what more/less appears to be a bugfix release was a bit galling. There are so many other things that need to be done for this product to realize its full potential.
Quote:
Originally Posted by philhu View Post
We have a half finished product, with lots of bugs, after 4 years of development, and their highest priority was to get the ads back into the pause screens?
the trick play code is likely the same from TiVo HD code base. It is not like the pause bar is in HD/Flash now
This means that TiVo did nothing more than simply supply some ads that the pause function can display. This is really no big whoop or resource hog. Would not expect it to change anyone's opinion on ads in general though, have fun with the rants.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:06 AM   #32
bschuler2007
Frustrated owner

The secret is to invest in a good macro enabled remote. It helps alot with these Tivo annoyances.

As for the guy who was embarrassed when his friend struggled to clear it... ummm... Something similar happened about 2 years ago to me, and yes, it is VERY sad. Especially when you are laughed at with a room full of people just because of some crappy ad on Tivo. Thus, I started my Facebook group the very next day and started fighting the useless and annoying ads. Sadly, most people don't realize how problematic and traumatic it can be until it happens to them.

My pause button is currently, PAUSE, DOWN, DOWN.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:56 PM   #33
NYHeel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bschuler2007 View Post
The secret is to invest in a good macro enabled remote. It helps alot with these Tivo annoyances.

As for the guy who was embarrassed when his friend struggled to clear it... ummm... Something similar happened about 2 years ago to me, and yes, it is VERY sad. Especially when you are laughed at with a room full of people just because of some crappy ad on Tivo. Thus, I started my Facebook group the very next day and started fighting the useless and annoying ads. Sadly, most people don't realize how problematic and traumatic it can be until it happens to them.

Can't you just press clear? Plus you usually need to press clear anyway as there are things that cover the screen even without ads. I really don't get the big deal with the ads. As long as it doesn't affect my usage of the Tivo I don't care at all. And as of now it doesn't affect me at all. True, there are times when I pause something to see the screen but I press clear anyway since I want a completely empty screen without the green bar on the bottom. I just don't get the whole ad complaint.

And seriously, traumatic? Don't you think that's a little overboard. Annoying, maybe, but traumatic?!
NYHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 05:36 PM   #34
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYHeel View Post
Can't you just press clear? Plus you usually need to press clear anyway as there are things that cover the screen even without ads. I really don't get the big deal with the ads. As long as it doesn't affect my usage of the Tivo I don't care at all. And as of now it doesn't affect me at all. True, there are times when I pause something to see the screen but I press clear anyway since I want a completely empty screen without the green bar on the bottom. I just don't get the whole ad complaint.

And seriously, traumatic? Don't you think that's a little overboard. Annoying, maybe, but traumatic?!
To each their own. Everyone will have their own annoyance and traumatic threshold. So you now have to press an EXTRA button. What if you later had to press two? Three? What if you had to wait THEN press a button? It is a slippery slope. The current pause ads don't bother me much. Neither do the text ads added to the main menu list. But *I* draw the line at static vs. animated and silent vs. sound. Even a SINGLE animated ad or audible ad, anywhere, instantly crosses my "traumatic" threshold. Others may not care as much.

BTW- That threshold of mine is exactly the same for web sites, which is why I am "forced" to use Adblock, Flashkill, and Javascript Switch addons for Firefox. Otherwise, I could not tolerate reading 90+% of sites.
crxssi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 06:39 PM   #35
daveak
Series 3 Novice

Quote:

Item in bold made me LOL. Hopefully someday you will look back on that VERY sad experience and be able to laugh about it. Are you sure they were laughing at you? Just because an ad appeared on your TV screen? That is VERY sad indeed. What was it about the ad that made them seem like they were laughing at you?

I know it can be tough when you feel like people are laughing at you at you because of a TiVo ad that appears on your TV, but I am sure (assuming they are your friends) they they did not mean to hurt your feelings or embarrass you because of the ad and their reaction to it.

Advertising that hurts or demeans is certainly wrong for TiVo to be displaying in any way through the TiVo service.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:56 AM   #36
NYHeel

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
To each their own. Everyone will have their own annoyance and traumatic threshold. So you now have to press an EXTRA button. What if you later had to press two? Three? What if you had to wait THEN press a button? It is a slippery slope. The current pause ads don't bother me much. Neither do the text ads added to the main menu list. But *I* draw the line at static vs. animated and silent vs. sound. Even a SINGLE animated ad or audible ad, anywhere, instantly crosses my "traumatic" threshold. Others may not care as much.

BTW- That threshold of mine is exactly the same for web sites, which is why I am "forced" to use Adblock, Flashkill, and Javascript Switch addons for Firefox. Otherwise, I could not tolerate reading 90+% of sites.
Thing is that it's not really any extra buttons. You have to press clear if you want to remove all of the "non-ad" stuff from the screen when you press pause anyway. If I press pause to see something on the screen, I need to press clear to get rid of the progress bar and some other message even when there is no ad on the screen. So it's not really any extra button presses.
NYHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 12:49 PM   #37
magnum68

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ryan_ View Post
I was pretty disappointed when I saw my first "pause ad" on my Premiere today when I paused a Seinfeld recording. Thus far I had not seen this on the Premiere at all, and I strongly disliked them on the TiVo HD. I was hoping they would never show up on the Premiere... I assume they were implemented with the 14.4 update I received last week. I don't mind the ads on the discovery bar at all, but having a banner pop up over part of the screen when I pause a show is quite annoying.

If anyone is interested, the ad said "See great (and green) technology here!"

Is everyone else suddenly getting "pause ads" on their Premieres?

PS: I was a bit surprised to see TiVo working to get more ads implemented before they even finish all the HD menus and the video overlay...
Wow! I sure miss the days when I had to walk up to the TV to turn it on/off or increase/decrease the volume or better yet, change the channel. I guess an advertisement banner is not that bad compared to the good old TV days.
Just a little humor guys.
magnum68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 02:10 AM   #38
jmccorm
Special Forum Guest

Quote:
As for the guy who was embarrassed when his friend struggled to clear it... ummm... Something similar happened about 2 years ago to me, and yes, it is VERY sad. Especially when you are laughed at with a room full of people just because of some crappy ad on Tivo.
Funny that you mention that. I really feel cheap when I have company and I or someone else pauses the TV, only to see an advertisement pop-up.

Someone may not share that point of view, and that's fine. But I think it reflects poorly upon me when I've chosen a piece of personal electronics that behaves in that way. It is like I'm running advertisement sponsored freeware or something because I can't afford the regular version.
jmccorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 04:44 AM   #39
strejcek

I would have to agree, I don't like paying for service and seeing advertisement pushed to me. I am paying for a premium service with Tivo and I don't like seeing the ads pop up. The ads don't bother me, but what bothers me is seeing them when I have already paid for the service. I wouldn't care to see them if Tivo wasn't already charging me and I was getting the service free. Seems like Tivo is double dipping; getting paid from their subscribers and also getting paid by the companies for advertising. I don't do free advertising; first thing I do when I buy a new vehicle is tell the dealership to remove their sticker from the back, unless they agree to pay me for advertising for them. Oddly enough, I have yet to have a dealership take me up on that offer.
strejcek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 07:58 AM   #40
caddyroger

Quote:
Originally Posted by strejcek View Post
I would have to agree, I don't like paying for service and seeing advertisement pushed to me. I am paying for a premium service with Tivo and I don't like seeing the ads pop up. The ads don't bother me, but what bothers me is seeing them when I have already paid for the service. I wouldn't care to see them if Tivo wasn't already charging me and I was getting the service free. Seems like Tivo is double dipping; getting paid from their subscribers and also getting paid by the companies for advertising. I don't do free advertising; first thing I do when I buy a new vehicle is tell the dealership to remove their sticker from the back, unless they agree to pay me for advertising for them. Oddly enough, I have yet to have a dealership take me up on that offer.
Just remember you could be paying more a month or more for lifetime if there was not for ad's. May be they need 2 tiers of service 1 for ad free at $25.00 a months or 1 with ad's at $12.95 a month
caddyroger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:25 AM   #41
RichB

Quote:
Originally Posted by strejcek View Post
I would have to agree, I don't like paying for service and seeing advertisement pushed to me. I am paying for a premium service with TiVo and I don't like seeing the ads pop up. The ads don't bother me, but what bothers me is seeing them when I have already paid for the service. I wouldn't care to see them if TiVo wasn't already charging me and I was getting the service free. Seems like TiVo is double dipping; getting paid from their subscribers and also getting paid by the companies for advertising. I don't do free advertising; first thing I do when I buy a new vehicle is tell the dealership to remove their sticker from the back, unless they agree to pay me for advertising for them. Oddly enough, I have yet to have a dealership take me up on that offer.
I agree about the pause ad's. It lacks class.

I had to laugh, I always do the same thing with dealerships. I offer to rent them advertising space. No takers.

I also tell them not to expect me to pay for a car with their emblem on it

- Rich
RichB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:31 AM   #42
RichB

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddyroger View Post
Just remember you could be paying more a month or more for lifetime if there was not for ad's. May be they need 2 tiers of service 1 for ad free at $25.00 a months or 1 with ad's at $12.95 a month
NO ad's for lifetime service.

How about no fee but you have to watch commercials. Any takers

- Rich
RichB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:16 PM   #43
windsurfdog
Hoof Hearted?

Ads? What ads?
windsurfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:26 PM   #44
jmccorm
Special Forum Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddyroger View Post
Your imagined fee structure is off-target, but you have the correct basic idea. I don't want freeware-style sponsored advertising. (Even more so when it the hardware and the service isn't free to begin with.) I have no problem paying more in order remove the nuisance which screams that I'm either stupid or cheap.
jmccorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 01:17 PM   #45
jerryboyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by kturcotte View Post
Wish they had a way to disable it. I'd be willing to pay $2 or $3 more a month for this.
Check the alt.video.ptv.tivo newsgroup for my 8/29 post titled "TiVo Premiere hack to disable annoying ads when pausing".

This hack essentially turns the Pause button into a Pause-Clear button. You can undo the hack simply by repeating it, i.e. it acts as a toggle.

Wish there were an easy way to collect my monthly fee!

Last edited by jerryboyle : 08-30-2010 at 01:24 PM.
jerryboyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 05:58 PM   #46
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryboyle View Post
Check the alt.video.ptv.tivo newsgroup for my 8/29 post titled "TiVo Premiere hack to disable annoying ads when pausing".

This hack essentially turns the Pause button into a Pause-Clear button. You can undo the hack simply by repeating it, i.e. it acts as a toggle.
Could you post it here? Or would that be bad?
Old 08-31-2010, 12:16 AM   #47
jerryboyle

Quote:
Could you post it here? Or would that be bad?
**WARNING (8/31) ** This hack isn't behaving quite as expected. After a cold reboot to try to clear Netflix issues, the unit rebooted again shortly thereafter for reasons unknown. After the 2nd reboot Pause ads came back, as expected, for SD menus but not for HD menus. Play bar behavior reverted as expected for both HD and SD menus. All else seems normal so far. Consider this hack risky pending further testing. Volunteer testers please report your results. Thanks, Jerry

**UPDATE (9/1) ** The unexpected reboot did not occur after reapplying the hack and doing a restart; also the Pause ads and Play bar came back, as expected, in both HD and SD menus. The hack now behaves exactly as I expected and initially described it and I've observed no adverse consequences. Since the S-P-S sequences have been around since TiVo Series 1 days when TiVo made no attempt to hide them, they are as safe as hacks can be. But they're still hacks and aren't officially supported by TiVo. Proceed with caution, if you like, and please report your results if you do. Thanks, Jerry.

From alt.video.ptv.tivo:

This extends a well-received TiVo S3 hack that I posted some time ago so
that it also works for the HD menus of the TiVo Premiere. As others noted
then you can clear the ads manually with the Clear button or by tapping the
FF button each time you pause, but this does it automatically. I just wanted
to share this here in case no one else has discovered and posted it.

** TiVo Premiere/S3 hack to disable annoying ads when pausing **

1. Switch to SD menus:

TiVo | Messages & Settings | Settings | Displays | Choose TiVo Menus | TiVo
with SD Menus

2. Execute (slightly modified) hack to make Play bar disappear quickly:

Live TV-Pause-Down Arrow-Select-Play-Select-Pause-Select

3. Switch back to HD menus:

TiVo | Messages & Settings | Settings | Displays | Choose TiVo Menus | TiVo
with HD Menus

Skip steps 1 and 3 if you're using SD menus or for TiVo S3. Repeat above
after each reboot.

Last edited by jerryboyle : 09-01-2010 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Add 9/1 UPDATE
Old 08-31-2010, 06:37 PM   #48
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryboyle View Post
**WARNING (8/31) ** This hack isn't behaving quite as expected. After a cold reboot to try to clear Netflix issues, the unit rebooted again shortly thereafter for reasons unknown. After the 2nd reboot Pause ads came back, as expected, for SD menus but not for HD menus. Play bar behavior reverted as expected for both HD and SD menus. All else seems normal so far. Consider this hack risky pending further testing. Volunteer testers please report your results. Thanks, Jerry
[...]
Skip steps 1 and 3 if you're using SD menus or for TiVo S3. Repeat above
after each reboot.
Thanks! I didn't know it was not persistent, so I probably won't bother. Especially since I do still want to see the bar, just not the Ad's nor the "more info about" stuff. I wish they (TiVo) would give us some control over this stuff.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:25 AM   #49
lujan

I couldn't get the hack to work on my Premiere.
6 DVD
lujan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 02:04 PM   #50
jerryboyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
I couldn't get the hack to work on my Premiere.
Check the section titled Select-Play-Select Codes in the New Almost Complete TiVo Codes List thread. This is in the TiVo Underground forum. I think this link should get you there:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=122090

Select-Play-Select codes can be tricky to enter and may take several attempts until you get the rhythm. I almost always get them to work the first time by holding the remote absolutely still, placing one thumb on the Select key and the other thumb on the Play key and then entering the sequence in a steady rhythm of about 2 key presses per second.

As the referenced forum thread states you may have more luck if you Pause when playing a recording rather than in Live TV. Both ways work.

Just be sure

1. You're in SD Menus - the S-P-S-Pause-S code won't work in HD Menus.

2. You clear *all* Pause ads before entering the sequence - you may need to hit Down more than once. Make sure you hit the key below Select, not the Slow key below Pause.

3. Don't leave SD Menus if the Pause ads still appear there. If they're still present in SD Menus they'll still be there in HD Menus. If you need multiple S-P-S-Pause-S attempts, go back to TiVo Central before going back to Live TV or playing a recording and reentering the sequence. Sometimes if your 1st attempt fails TiVo seems to ignore subsequent attempts in Live TV or that recording. If the S-P-S sequence is successful you'll hear a Ding-Ding-Ding sound.

4. Note the **WARNING** that I added to the hack. If you're not an experienced user or a gambler who hates these ads, don't try this hack. So far I've still had no problems except that my Pause ads seem to be gone forever in HD Menus - I expected them to return after each reboot.

Good luck if you choose to proceed. Please report any success or problems you encounter.

Last edited by jerryboyle : 09-01-2010 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Add comment about Ding-Ding-Ding sound
Old 09-01-2010, 02:52 PM   #51
jerryboyle

Quote:
Thanks! I didn't know it was not persistent, so I probably won't bother. Especially since I do still want to see the bar, just not the Ad's nor the "more info about" stuff. I wish they (TiVo) would give us some control over this stuff.
We had a discussion about the loss of the Play bar when I originally proposed this hack for the TiVo S3. This was shortly after they introduced the sometimes useful More About This Show buttons when you paused. One experienced user was thrilled to get rid of everything, finding the Play bar even more obtrusive than the new button; I generally agree with him but sometimes I want it and sometimes I miss it. Another user stated that he liked my hack better than his technique of using the FF button to clear the screen. I liked the FF idea better than my own hack because FF is right next to Pause; as a lefty it's quite awkward to stretch for the Clear button after you hit Pause. However, now that they've replaced the useful More About button with nothing but ads I prefer my hack.

Try the FF button instead of Clear if you don't use my hack - I think you'll like it. And speaking of FF I should warn everyone that my hack also quickly clears the Play bar during FF mode; again this is a mixed blessing depending on your preferences.

Also note my 9/1 update to the posted hack. I now feel more confident about it, but users should still evaluate the risk.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:37 AM   #52
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Thanks for this info, jerryboyle. I was able to invoke the hack to get the ad (and playbar) to hide quickly. Will see how I like it for awhile. Those ads make my eyes bleed.

Now I wish there was a button to make the playbar appear for a bit (without resuming/affecting the video playback.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:39 PM   #53
worachj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post

Now I wish there was a button to make the playbar appear for a bit (without resuming/affecting the video playback.)
Hit the play button.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:42 PM   #54
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by worachj View Post
Hit the play button.
Yeah, except that "resumes/affects the video playback."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:44 AM   #55
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
Yeah, except that "resumes/affects the video playback."
Which is the lesser evil? You can't have your cake and eat it too.

When I pause, it's because I want to see what is on the screen. That is more important than seeing the progress bar, so that's what I choose.
The only purpose of the progress bar is to show you where you are in the recording. Press play before you pause, or while you're watching.
Problem solved.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote