Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Renewed for second season.

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:39 PM   #32
YCantAngieRead
Not Entirely Current

Man, I love Betty White. And I also love Jane Leeves-the other two not so much.

Is it just me or is Jane Leeves a little on the scary thin side? I mean, don't get me wrong, she's still drooltastic. But she seems a little more blunt edges than her Frasier years.
YCantAngieRead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 12:45 AM   #33
jilter
Happy to be here.

OMG. THAT"S who that is.
/Slaps self on forehead.
Thanks Angie!

(I like the show)
Kind-hearted, does not think too highly of itrself.
Even larger, Valerie Bertinelli is highly appealing.
And of course Betty White is....Betty White.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:17 AM   #34
barbeedoll

I like this show. The episode where they all arranged dates for each other was fresh in the reasons the dates were unacceptable.

What a great match Carl Reiner is for Betty White.

The critics pooh-poohed it, but the viewership won out. Who cares about the critics if lots of people are watching the TVLand commercials, right?

(Shhh. I know we have TiVos)

Barbeedoll
barbeedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 09:52 PM   #35
YCantAngieRead
Not Entirely Current

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbeedoll View Post

What a great match Carl Reiner is for Betty White.
Seriously. That was a chemistry match made in heaven. Wish we could see more of them together.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:25 AM   #36
coolpenguin

My girlfriend and I are loving this show. We actually watched each episode twice, we enjoyed them that much. (we were putting laundry away during the first airing.)

The coming attractions for this weeks look GREAT!

LOVE LOVE LOVE Betty White.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
coolpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 04:24 PM   #37
kar74
hi.

OK - after seeing the first couple of episodes I wasn't too sure if it was season pass worthy. I was on the fence, but SO glad I ended up doing the SP. Had I chose not to, I would've missed the "Good Sex Left Behind" episode last week. HILARIOUS! There were so many good one-liners in there that I LOL'd through a good 90% of the episode.
kar74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 01:35 PM   #38
Magnolia88
She likes cheese.

I am enjoying this show far more than I expected to.

In the last episode, the opening scene with Betty White with the red hair made me laugh out loud several times. I think Betty White saying bad words (calling the other lady "fat ass") is just funny.

She can say almost anything and be funny. And it always seems like Valerie Bertinelli is laughing at Betty White, and not her character laughing at Betty's character. I think Valerie just finds Betty hilarious, and she is.

Also, the scene from last week or the week before with Wendie Malick and Huey Lewis trying to have "20s sex" instead of "50s sex" was also hilarious. How many other TV shows even try to show 50somethings in a sex scene? Wendie Malick is very good at the physical comedy imho.
Magnolia88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 02:33 PM   #39
marksman
ID-10-T

It is very old school, and a bit corny, but Betty White is really funny in it. I am pleasantly surprised by the show myself.
marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 04:09 PM   #40
YCantAngieRead
Not Entirely Current

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia88 View Post

Also, the scene from last week or the week before with Wendie Malick and Huey Lewis trying to have "20s sex" instead of "50s sex" was also hilarious. How many other TV shows even try to show 50somethings in a sex scene? Wendie Malick is very good at the physical comedy imho.
That was a GREAT scene.

I find myself not caring for Valarie Bertanelli in this. I'm not sure why-maybe it seems she's trying to hard to keep up with the terrifically funny other cast members.

Not going to stop me from watching, though. It's still very funny!
Old 07-19-2010, 04:17 PM   #41
Magnolia88
She likes cheese.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YCantAngieRead View Post
I find myself not caring for Valarie Bertanelli in this. I'm not sure why-maybe it seems she's trying to hard to keep up with the terrifically funny other cast members.
I think Valerie's character is the "straight man" here, and she is supposed to be the normal, relatable one among the wackier characters surrounding her. So she doesn't get as many funny lines and she's mainly reacting to everyone. But I still like her a lot and I think she's a good straight man.

I'm not as fond of Jane Leeves. I find her character sort of brittle and she's not as funny as Betty or Wendie imho. But I think the ensemble works well together because they all have their strengths.

Also, Wendie Malick is 59 and Huey Lewis is 60. Wendie Malick looks a good 15 years younger. Actually, they all look a lot younger than their true ages, Betty included.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:18 PM   #42
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
...I'm not as fond of Jane Leeves. I find her character sort of brittle and she's not as funny as Betty or Wendie imho. But I think the ensemble works well together because they all have their strengths.....
+ me.

She's my least favorite of the group, but this show rocks.

XL4
Old 07-19-2010, 10:01 PM   #43
YCantAngieRead
Not Entirely Current

Quote:
I think Valerie's character is the "straight man" here, and she is supposed to be the normal, relatable one among the wackier characters surrounding her. So she doesn't get as many funny lines and she's mainly reacting to everyone. But I still like her a lot and I think she's a good straight man.

I'm not as fond of Jane Leeves. I find her character sort of brittle and she's not as funny as Betty or Wendie imho. But I think the ensemble works well together because they all have their strengths.
I'm completely the opposite.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:40 PM   #44
omnibus
cowboy, yee-ha

re: the comment about loving Betty White if she played a serial killer. She wasn't too far from that kind of role on Boston Legal.....was she?
Old 07-20-2010, 06:48 AM   #45
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:
Originally Posted by omnibus View Post
re: the comment about loving Betty White if she played a serial killer. She wasn't too far from that kind of role on Boston Legal.....was she?
Catherine Piper was just a mean old lady. I wouldn't call her a serial killer.

I am loving this show a lot! Betty White is the main reason I am watching. She has sort of taken the Sophia role from Golden Girls.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:11 AM   #46
ronsch

Quote:
Wasn't Janes character described as being "snarky" in the date episode? If so, she's playing it perfectly.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:47 AM   #47
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

I've had all the episodes piling up on my DVR since it premiered. I watched them yesterday. By episode 3 the show hit its stride. I love it. I had to google Valerie to get her age. She looks amazing for 50. I see that next episode
Spoiler:
Valerie's mother comes to visit. I wonder if they got Bonnie Franklin to play her.

Old 07-20-2010, 02:39 PM   #48
stellie93

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadam101 View Post

I am loving this show a lot! Betty White is the main reason I am watching. She has sort of taken the Sophia role from Golden Girls.
I was thinking that too, but the woman who played Sophia wasn't really old, was she? It's incredible that Betty White can do it at her age.
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 05:26 PM   #49
tiellv
Down by the river

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post
I was thinking that too, but the woman who played Sophia wasn't really old, was she? It's incredible that Betty White can do it at her age.
Whenever I see Betty White on a talk show, I'm always amazed that at her age, she hasn't lost a step! Still as witty as ever!
Old 07-23-2010, 01:44 PM   #50
jilter
Happy to be here.

I like the parents episode.
I love all the old tv stars!

Looks like TVLand is developing another series.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:53 PM   #51
lambertman
How'd I get this old

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post
Estelle was roughly the same age as Betty and Bea.

and elsewhere
Play-by-play announcer at
lambertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 02:03 PM   #52
Magnolia88
She likes cheese.

Estelle Getty was only 62 when The Golden Girls started. She had a wig and makeup to look about 25 years older. She was a year younger than Bea Arthur, who played her daughter.

Betty White is 88.
Old 07-24-2010, 01:30 PM   #53
sharkster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilter View Post
I like the parents episode.
I love all the old tv stars!
OMG, I LOVED this episode! The 'parents' episode has been my favorite so far.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 01:48 PM   #54
BeanMeScot
Sci-Fi Junkie

TC CLUB MEMBER
I'm not big on regular sitcoms but this one has been fun! LOVE Betty White!

From the season finale:

Spoiler:
I want a Free Elka shirt but darned if I am paying $36.45 for it!

**** Cancer!

Veni, vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.
BeanMeScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 02:56 PM   #55
marksman
ID-10-T

LOL. Betty White is awesome on the show. 88 and this renaisance has been amazing.

I hope we didn't miss the last 20 years of not seeing Betty White do anything by her choice and not because people would not use her.

I just looked and Golden Girls went off the air in 92, so she would have been 70. Seems like she might have just retired. Fair enough... but she is just too funny. I have seen her in this, The Proposal and some other things and she is great.

The cast of this show is really experienced with all of them having many years of tv sitcom work under their belts. I don't mind the old timer throw back slightly corny sitcom....
marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 04:05 PM   #56
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

I really like the ensemble in this show. I wait for the HD version to float around on torrents so I'm pretty far behind but it's worth it to me, I just hate SD. I'm a snob.

Anyhoooo.... Betty White first came out of the woodwork (for me) during the Boston Legal stint. She was amazing in that too. I was a huge Frasier and Just Shoot Me fan so this show is a win for me from all of them. Valerie, I didn't really remember all that much as I was pretty young during One Day At A Time.... I really just remember the weird guy with the tool belt.

I haven't seen or heard many people talking about this show. Are the ratings good??
photoshopgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 04:14 PM   #57
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoshopgrl View Post
...I haven't seen or heard many people talking about this show. Are the ratings good??
Good enough to be renewed for a second season.

3.4M viewers for the season finale

Spoiler:
More info here....but there's a season finale spoiler -- http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/08/19...uch-more/60505

XL4
Old 08-29-2010, 07:38 PM   #58
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Oh good, thanks!
photoshopgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 08:42 PM   #59
YCantAngieRead
Not Entirely Current

I really enjoyed this show, but I think somewhere along the line I missed an episode. I hope they do a marathon at some point.

I still don't enjoy Valerie Bertanelli, though. I love the others enough that it makes up for it.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:25 AM   #60
Jon J
Curmudgeon

Betty White is a national treasure. I'll watch anything new she is on.