TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-27-2010, 04:07 PM   #61
forgetg

I also contacted Directv's office of the President, you can only email them, but they called within 8 hours...they in turn said that they will contact Tivo and have them send my unit a 800 number to dial..within 4 hours my unit and DVR service is up and running...I don't know if it was the 800 or it just made a call on its own..I would suggest a email to the office of the President..I did not put any prefix in ..it was all blank, for the link just put directv dot com in front of
/DTVAPP/global/contentPageIFnorail.jsp?assetId=P4960016#h:594.391

Last edited by forgetg : 08-27-2010 at 04:19 PM.
forgetg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 05:12 PM   #62
moonchilddave

Ok, I just emailed exc customer support, and haven't gotten a call back yet, however one of my DSR704's has started working! Now, in order to prevent having to go through all this hassle again...

If I make a backup of the drive now that it is working - with the latest version of WinMFS - should I not be able to restore it (or a freshly baked InstantCake image) and not have to go through this again should I ever put a new drive in? Would that save me from having to go through this initial setup hell?

Could I also possibly backup the working unit using WinMFS and restore to the other unit or would that cause issues because of the HD being married to the hardware?
moonchilddave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 05:33 PM   #63
whitepelican

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonchilddave View Post
If I make a backup of the drive now that it is working - with the latest version of WinMFS - should I not be able to restore it (or a freshly baked InstantCake image) and not have to go through this again should I ever put a new drive in? Would that save me from having to go through this initial setup hell?
Yes, making a backup at this point should work for future issues.

Quote:
Could I also possibly backup the working unit using WinMFS and restore to the other unit or would that cause issues because of the HD being married to the hardware?
Won't work. You'd have to do a "Clear & Delete Everything" after restoring to the other unit, which would cause you to go back to Guided Setup.
whitepelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 05:44 PM   #64
Flexanimous

You know...I don't understand DirecTV.

If it's just a matter of them needing to push a different 1-800 number to the receivers for the initial call, can't they just go ahead and do that for all of their receivers and save their customers the frustration of having to complain? They must know it's not an isolated issue, judging by the number of complaints they have had about it. Not very customer service-oriented.

Thanks for letting me get that out..lol.

Thank you for the information. I'll be emailing them now.
Flexanimous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 09:14 PM   #65
pkindell

My unit started working on its own after several days. I left all the dial in prefixs set to none. Nothing fancy, just the default dial in settings. I did call DTV and complain the first day I started having the problem. They also told me they would send an 800 number via messages.
pkindell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 02:34 PM   #66
JimboDunky
Disenchanted User

I have a Philips DSR6000. I went to the TiVo website and got the list of local dial-in numbers. Then, I entered my local number into the "set dial prefix" selection. In CT, you have to dial the area code for a local number, and 1+ the area code for a non-local number. So I entered "203XXXXXXX,". The comma is important because a 2 second pause will complete the call. Even though the tivo modem will attempt to dial the numbers after the prefix, it doesn't matter because the call will have already completed. You'll then be able to put this issue to rest.

This all happened after getting a replacement drive from weaknees. I was using the 800 dial in number but for a week now my guide data has not compiled further than 1 day. I'm hoping this does the trick. I forced 3 daily calls today after getting my local dial-in number situated but still seeing the black bar message at the bottom of my pick programs to record screen telling me it'll take 1-2 days to get guide data. A restart hasn't fixed the issue.

My DSR6000 is from 1999, and I saw a 3V CR2032 battery on the motherboard. Figured after 11 years it'd be dead so I replaced it when I dropped in the weaknees drive. I don't even know what it's used for.

Also modded my box. Cut a circle out of the lid and installed a CPU fan which had blue LEDs. Looks pretty funny.

-J
Old 08-28-2010, 10:45 PM   #67
stat1995

Huzzah! My Tivo is working. On Wednesday night I asked them to send my service number to Tivo. This number was found in the system information. They told me they'd send an 800 number through messages and it would take 3-4 days. I came home tonight and it was working.
stat1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 11:59 AM   #68
cataloger42

Took about 10 days but I, too, finally got the secret pass (without trying to contact Tivo or Directv). Just started working one morning. Still no call in numbers. As Weaknees suggested, just keep the phone line plugged in and hope for the best.
cataloger42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 03:46 PM   #69
bunsterlama

Big Grin Omg Success

Well mt tivo finally made the call last night about 12:30am, my DVR part works like it should, but no dial in numbers listed. So did it, I email the CEO/President of Directv last night and they called me today by noon and it's Sunday, they sent my service number to Tivo anyways so it would send a dial in number to my tivo box. He told me to call back in 72hrs if did not work. I suggest anyone who is still having a problem with their Tivo DVR should email the CEO/President/Advocate Team it worked well for me.
bunsterlama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 03:52 AM   #70
jonapt

Same story as everyone else, my HR10 Instant Cake 6.4a upgrade sends no tones when onscreen shows it as Dialing.

After wasting a couple of hours trying to figure out why my did not work, I called Support and asked the rep to re-activate the unit. The reps can activate via satellite, and within seconds, the unit was fully-functional.

Those of you still stuck with live TV paperweights might want to try re-activation.

DTVs dialed by TiVo respond and become functional, which proves the modems are fine, and it is easy to understand why DTV and TiVo are buffaloed.

- The TiVo itself does the dialing
- Software downloads are not transmitted via satellite
- An Instant Cake image cannot have been corrupted by a previous phone download

This has the look and feel of a latent bug, triggered perhaps by time elapsed from a specified starting day and time.
jonapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 12:34 PM   #71
rpp

This is still not working for me. Has anyone had any success?
rpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 04:18 PM   #72
Keeptfaith

Yay! It's working

After two calls to DirecTV to get them to have TiVo to send an 800 number to my box, it made the call automatically.

Good thing! I was about to return my hard drive to Weakness at a considerable loss to me.

My DirecTV RCA DVR40 with a new hard drive now records! Wish Lists and Season Passes all working.

The phone setting were at the factory default of nothing in the dialing prefix or the call waiting prefix. Phone Detection off and Dial Tone connection On.

Note: I went into the phone settings to see what the local dial in number is and it is set to None. Not sure if the connection was made over the phone or the satellite.
Keeptfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 04:28 PM   #73
scott429

Success!

My receiver made a successful Service Connection call, so I can record and set Season Passes.

It hasn't yet done a good Service Data Download but it hasn't tried since the Service Connection call.

There's still no phone number listed in the phone settings page, but Exec. Cust. Svc said it should be okay.
scott429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 05:06 PM   #74
moonchilddave

Both of my DSR704's are back online and recording! However, I've noticed one odd thing... They are both running 6.4a-01-2-101 software. One has showcases and stars on the main menu - the other does not. Any ideas on why that is?
moonchilddave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 06:14 PM   #75
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
Wait a day or two and look again. Sometimes it takes a while for these to update.
Old 08-31-2010, 04:54 AM   #76
kid14607

tivo #'s

Quote:
Same boat as everyone else here... No numbers available no matter what area code I put in, including 800.

Does anyone know the number that the DirecTivo dials to get the local numbers? I had an issue on an old SA Series 1 TiVo with the modem partially bad... I ended up having to dial the number myself and then plug the phone line and TiVo would take it the rest of the way. The number it dialed to get the list of numbers was 877-877-1756.
3.tivo.com/tivo-misc/popfinder.do
I used this site and tried all my choices of call in numbers Didn't work for me but at lease I have the #'s Might work for you give it a try. I couldn't add the http or the: or the // or the www to the address because you have to have at least 5 post to add a link so you add it!

Last edited by kid14607 : 08-31-2010 at 05:20 AM.
kid14607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 05:16 AM   #77
kid14607

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecurbswerdna View Post
I installed a new hard drive in my HDVR2 but when I finally made the dreaded call to DT, they said I had go clear everything. Prior to that I just could not record or see recorded shows, but I could search for phone numbers in the guided setup, and it returned them OK. Now no phone numbers after the clear everything!
Question: are these numbers belonging to DirecTV or TiVo? I suspect if they are TiVo numbers, DT* has not restored the correct "800" number to retrieve the local numbers we need. Although I've heard that DT* is coming with a new TiVo box, it appears that the tech supports are not helping each other. Just a suspicion on my part. Hope someone gets a good answer!!
3.tivo.com/tivo-misc/popfinder.do
I used this site and tried all my choices of call in numbers Didn't work for me but at lease I have the #'s Might work for you give it a try. I couldn't add the http or the: or the // or the www to the address because you have to have at least 5 post to add a link so you add it!
Old 08-31-2010, 08:02 AM   #78
DougF

It only took a week, three phone calls and four emails, but mine is finally working as of this morning.
DougF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 06:35 PM   #79
krkaufman

Am experiencing the "no local numbers" issue on 2 re-initialized HDVR2s. I've made 2 calls to DirecTV tech support (which were thoroughly unhelpful), and emailed the Office of the President around midnight Tuesday morning.

And now I wait. Fingers crossed.

edit: p.s. At least I *think* I emailed the OotP. I submitted the form, but didn't receive any "email received" acknowledgment in my mailbox. To those who've emailed the OotP, did you get a receipt confirmation for your message?

edit2: Received phone call from OotP Weds afternoon, saying they'd forwarded my info to Tivo and that Tivo would be sending my units 800 numbers within 72 hours. (Am now 24 hours into the 72 hour window w/ no change.)

Last edited by krkaufman : 09-02-2010 at 07:23 PM.
krkaufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 06:48 PM   #80
krkaufman

As an alternative, would Zippering my HDVR2s workaround the "no local numbers" problem and get my DVR service working again?
Old 08-31-2010, 08:45 PM   #81
weaknees

Quote:
Originally Posted by krkaufman View Post
As an alternative, would Zippering my HDVR2s workaround the "no local numbers" problem and get my DVR service working again?
I don't think so. I've tried various networking solutions and I still come up needing to activate. Best bet is to leave the units running, connected to SAT, and connected to a phone line.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
weaknees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 12:19 AM   #82
adunha2

DirecTV DVR with TiVo

I was given information today that DirecTV has no intention on resolving the problem with DirecTV DVRs with TiVo not being able to access local telephone numbers to allow the DVRs to record. This is an intentional policy by DirecTV to force users to discontinue use of the DirecTV DVRs with TiVo.
adunha2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 01:31 AM   #83
litzdog911
TechKnow Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by adunha2 View Post
I was given information today that DirecTV has no intention on resolving the problem with DirecTV DVRs with TiVo not being able to access local telephone numbers to allow the DVRs to record. This is an intentional policy by DirecTV to force users to discontinue use of the DirecTV DVRs with TiVo.
Really??? "Information" from what source???

As reported by others here, it is possible to get this working.

Clearly it's a plot by DirecTV to force folks to abandon their Tivo
HR10-250 HD DVR 400GB (v6.4a)
H21-200 HD Receiver
R10 DVR 160GB (v6.4a)
litzdog911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 09:59 AM   #84
whitepelican

Quote:
Originally Posted by krkaufman View Post
I've recently loaded new images on a couple of DirecTivos, and then proceeded to hack the software (not Zipper, but manually hacked). I was able to get through the Guided Setup on both without even having a phone line connected and then after running fakecall.tcl was able to get to the Now Playing list. I see no reason why you wouldn't be able to do the same by running the Zipper script.

I guess it's possible that you still wouldn't be able to record, but I no longer have DirecTV service active, so I really couldn't say either way. Like I said, I was able to get to the Now Playing list and (had there actually been any) play the recordings.
whitepelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 03:14 PM   #85
kid14607

Question? : I formatted my Directv DVR with Tivoís hard drive (deleted every thing) and now I canít record or bring up the program guide and the background is no longer green with the Tivo logo it is now blue with the Directv logo and under phone options the option to set dial in number is missing. Can you help?

Answer! What you likely did was reset the box back to factory settings, which cleared all the software updates you did to it over the years!
.*
What this means! When the DVR comes from the factory it is just a DVR. It doesnít become a Dcectv DVR with Tivo until the Installer comes to your house and makes the callís to Tivo and Tivo downloads the software to the DVR.

Question? Why is the background now blue with the Direct logo?

Answer!
. .* The reason that you now have a blue screen is that your receiver was upgraded to the latest software.* This does not change the way that the DVR works.* You will still be able to use the TIVO features that you used to use.* This updated software also add a number of new features that you did not have before.* Some of those new features are.
.**Online Scheduling / Remote Booking:
*** - Allows you to schedule recordings remotely via DIRECTV.com, tivo.com, and other Web sites.*

*** Recently Deleted Folder:
*** - Allows you to recover deleted recordings if disk space is available.*
*** - Feature is not intended for long-term storage of recordings.*

*** Overlap Protection:
*** - When tuner conflicts occur, receiver will be able to record two shows back-to-back by clipping (not recording) from end of first show or beginning of second show, based on priority set in Season Pass Manager.*
*** - Overlap Protection allows both programs to record, instead of canceling lower priority recording.*
*** - Clipped shows will be noted with an asterisk in To Do List.*
*** - Users can turn off Overlap Protection, if desired.
Sorry but I still donít have an answer to where the (set dial number option is.) Iím working on it! I received a phone call today from Directv and he is going to forward the question to the Directv engineers ( the people who design the software) it will take a couple of weeks to get an answer! I should have an alternate solution tomorrow. Kid14607
Old 09-01-2010, 06:34 PM   #86
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
I don't know where you got this information, but the first Q+A is completely bogus.

The way your TiVo works for phone numbers is to rerun Guided Setup. What it does is call an 800-number to get the list of numbers - but this is not working for many.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:58 PM   #87
jonapt

Although my HR10 is now fully functional, it still has the problem of "no local numbers" and the first 'have not called' screen has appeared.

That's a small price to pay for being able to set Season Passes and record since the CSR re-activated my HR10. I believe he did a de-activate then an activate, not a re-activate.

Was I just very lucky or have those of you still having problems tried this approach and failed?
jonapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:28 PM   #88
krkaufman

Quote:
Originally Posted by adunha2 View Post
My tech supporter expressed a similar view, but backed off when I asked him if he was speaking authoritatively or officially for DirecTV. My guy further expressed that the problem was a symptom of a deteriorating relationship between DirecTV and TiVo, with another symptom being the lack of delivery of the DirecTV/TiVo HD product. Impossible to tell how much was hot-air and how much was unauthorized frankness.

edit: p.s. Steve, the fellow from the Customer Advocacy(?) dept (responding to the OotP email), said that contacting them was the proper channel for getting the problem addressed. The mystery to me is why the tech support people haven't uniformly been made aware of this.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:30 PM   #89
weaknees

We just received a message from TiVo letting us know that the problem has been solved!

You should now be able to dial in your DIRECTV TiVo and get a list of local numbers.

(We also tested a box here and confirmed that things are working!)

Thanks to TiVo and DIRECTV!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
weaknees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 12:16 PM   #90
kid14607

solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by trvlntom View Post
I just joined the forum.
Same story as everyone else.

Accept. DirectTV is sending me a new DVR at no charge.
This is only for people who own there directv dvr with tivo. Go to http: then add//invester.directv/officers.com Go down to the bottom of the list and click ellen filipak State your case on how directv should not have downloaded new software to your dvr because you own it and that they did not ask you first. Be firm that you will not settle for one of theres. and that you want it turned back to a directv with tivo dvr. It works I got mine back... I wrote it this way because I can't add a link untill I have5 post

Last edited by kid14607 : 09-04-2010 at 01:15 PM.