TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-26-2010, 12:22 AM   #1
susandennis

Question Remotes have lost their mind

I have 2 TiVos (1 TV) and I've operated them successfully for years first with a OneForAll remote and then with a Harmony. I have changed nothing in the setup in months. All of a sudden, this morning, I picked up my Harmony and it had lost its mind. It worked but not well and not responsively.

I put in new batteries and it still wouldn't work or work properly. With either TiVo.

When the Harmony wouldn't work, I went to the peanut. It worked but had many of the same issues. Then I re-jenned the Harmony (reinstalled the software and re-fed the remote).

Now I have 2 different remotes that exhibit the same issues:

The response of the TiVos (both of them) is spotty. It will respond fine when I hit the left arrow and then the next time, no, then it will work fine 3 times in a row then no.

When I get to Playlist, and try to go up and down, one light tap will move down the list rapidly until it hits the bottom. I have to hit up and then down right away and hope it stops on the right thing. (I did tweak the Harmony to use the slowest setting but that did not make any difference.).

Both remotes (TiVo and Harmony) only respond sometimes or act like the arrow button is stuck.

The TiVos are both Series 3 HD's. Nothing changed. I did move both TiVos so that they had a more direct line of site tonight. It seemed to make no difference. I've added no computers, I've added no electronics, I've added nothing in months.

What the hell is going on??? Is it the TiVos? Is it the remotes? Is it sunspots??? Where do I even start to look?

Last edited by susandennis : 08-26-2010 at 12:44 AM. Reason: Clarification
susandennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 03:59 AM   #2
SpiritualPoet

If the TiVo devices are on shelving behind a pane of glass, perhaps the signal(s) are being altered/reduced due to the passage through the glass. It's unlikely that the arrow buttons on two separate remotes would be sticking causing any problem. I for one can think of nothing that may be the cause.
SpiritualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 04:11 AM   #3
Edmund
Remote Czar

Sounds like IR interference from other remotes in the room, see if a button is stuck, or its under something like cushion or a book?
Edmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 06:09 AM   #4
emp

Try turning your lights off, if you have any florescent lights it could be causing interference. I had the exact same problem with a cable box recently, when I hit a button it would usually repeat that button press (channel up/down would change 30 channels instead of next/prev channel). I tried covering the remote after I hit a button but no luck, then I covered the IR sensor on the box and stopped immediately. By putting a "visor" (index card) on top of the box to shield the IR sensor from direct florescent light seems to fix the problem. From what I understand plasma TVs can also cause similar interference.
emp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 07:44 AM   #5
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Have you tried rebooting the Tivos?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 08:58 AM   #6
susandennis

Thanks to all of your for your suggestions.

Yes, I rebooted both TiVos.

There is no glass - the units are on an open shelf under the TV. Same shelf and same TV for several years now. (I moved them about 2 feet to the left after this started.) They are maybe 10 feet from the remote.

No other remotes in the room.

One florescent lamp in the room (more near the remote than the TiVos) but turning it off has no affect on either remote or either TiVo.

I have not tried the shield trick yet. I did stick some index cards above the sensors but maybe they need to be bigger or placed differently. I'll try that tonight.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:26 PM   #7
lastdeadcat
22 years in Alaska

Have you changed the display settings on your TV lately? Some display settings on some LCD TVs can cause IR interference. It happen to me so I don't use that setting on my TV anymore.
lastdeadcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 03:27 PM   #8
susandennis

I have not changed my television or any other settings lately.

BUT... here's the strangest part of all.

Today, everything is working normally. Seriously. Both TiVos. The responsiveness is snappy and no rapid fire on playlist. As if yesterday never happened.

I think I have poltergeists.

I will report back here if things change. weird, weird, weird, weird.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:49 PM   #9
lastdeadcat
22 years in Alaska

I don't know what your neighborhood is like, but there could have been some sort of transient IR interference from outside. Like from a neighbor's house or something. Maybe they moved their furniture around and their remote was pointing toward you. Hope it doesn't return.

TiVo seems to be rather sensitive to IR interference. I had DVD player remote under a stack of stuff on the coffee table that was being pressed by the weight. It was giving me fits until I happen to locate it and move it. Then everything cleared up.

I usually reccomend a "Wild Remote Hunt" for folks with IR interference.

I've also had a certain display setting on one of my flat screen TVs interfere with the TiVo remote. I now use a Harmony and I haven't had any display interference.
lastdeadcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 07:24 PM   #10
susandennis

It is difficult for me to write this because it's hard to see through the egg that is on my face...

You guys cracked the case early on. You said it was a remote with a button mashed somewhere nearby. I said very clearly that there were no other remotes in the room.

Ha.

What about that one you never use that you thought, two days before, would make a good prop for the back of the laptop????

Yep, I was mashing the heck out of those buttons all damn day long - it was my work laptop and I was working hard.

That remote has now gone to the Bucket Of Stuff I Might Need One Day in the back storage closet. And my laptop is being propped up by a stack of index cards.

Thanks for the help. I actually did learn a lot.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:08 PM   #11
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Thumbs up

Glad you got it figured out.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote