TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-07-2010, 01:19 AM   #121
nightrider

I also had the severe pixilation on tuner 2 for months and it was resolved immediately when I removed the second output cables as suggested by posters earlier in this thread. So my slingbox is out of commission for the moment but I have my tivo back.
nightrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 04:41 PM   #122
TWood

I repaired both of my HDVR2s with this mod. Thanks to the following:

Shcof for your research and detailed findings.
genericuser for posting the description of your mod and the Radio Shack part number.
Mark Griswold for posting your pictures. Those helped me immensely.
TWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 02:19 PM   #123
Doeboy1

Same thing here...just running one output seemed to of helped me out. A pain in the arse as i like to record some stuff to DVD, but it is what it is for now...
Doeboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 08:29 PM   #124
technojunkie

2 Months and still going strong

Just an update, still working fine after making the mod 2 months ago.
technojunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 04:06 PM   #125
nmpeter

it worked for me too

A little difficult doing surface soldering with my failing eyesight, but I managed to get them in on all three of my tivo's, so my wife will be _really_ happy to be able to get back to dual tuner goodness..and no more twidding with the dish, cables and whatever else has been bandied around for this problem.

I'll get brave and try s-video later on..and one of the three is still pixelating a bit, perhaps _that+ one needs a power supply too ( it is our first box....the other were picked up on ebay and enhanced.

thanks again.
nmpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 06:54 PM   #126
acii

Thumbs up Genius!!

I too want to express my gratitude to the gentlemen who deciphered this puzzle (and support the fact that it does work).

It's been a week without a wayward pixel on an old HDVR2 that had become unwatchable.

Many thanks again.
acii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 03:56 PM   #127
Athenian

Quote:
Originally Posted by schof View Post
Another possible site to solder the capacitor is between pins 3 and 7 of U49 pin 3 is ground (-) and pin 7 is VCC (+). That presents it's own challenges because of the close lead pitch of U49 and the relatively large diameter of the leads to be soldered. Again keep the leads short and dressed away from tuner2. It won't look good but if it works, who cares? BTW U49 is the source of the interference that causes the pixellation - via the load placed on it by the video outputs.
Thank you very much for your detailed explanation of why the units fail and how to fix them. I am planning to try this on one of my boxes this afternoon but I have one question: how are the pins numbered; ie. where is pin number 1? Is number 3 on the side facing the 3 large capacitors or on the blank side?

Update:

Nevermind...I found the notch and made the repair.

Thanks again.

Last edited by Athenian : 05-15-2010 at 09:51 PM.
Athenian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 10:47 AM   #128
CRateau

Smile Another Success (Fixed for 2+ Months Now!)

Hi.

Just wanted to add my THANKS! My HDVR2 (?) had the pixalization problem on one tuner. I added a cap as suggested, and it's working great. That was about two months ago, and it's still working great!!!

The only problem that I had was that my solder skills are not as good as they should be, and I apparently bridged a couple of pins at first. This gave me black and white picture...no color. I dug back in, did some de-soldering and cleaned up my job (a light with a built-in magnafier helped a lot here), and once I had that fixed, I had color, no pixalization, and nothing else broken.

Thank you so much for this fix!!!! It's working wonders and made a huge difference in my ability to enjoy my DirecTV Tivo!

Claude
CRateau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 07:15 PM   #129
Lockheed

I know this is an older thread, but I just wanted to say THANK YOU!!

My HDVR2 has had this pixelation problem for the past 2+ years, and at first removing the S-Video cable worked, but it progressively got worse even with just composite connected.

I had been just living with it because I didn't wanna pay $100 to repair such an old unit. I had thought about picking up a used unit on eBay, but there was no guarantee it would not have the same/other problems.

Finally stumbled on to this thread, and I soldered the cap to the IC as described. NO MORE PIXELATION!! I even had the right part sitting around in my spare parts box.

Thank you so much!!
Lockheed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 02:01 PM   #130
ecurbswerdna

Thanks, too!

I also want to express my thanks for this fix. I added the 470uf cap as instructed (across U49) and it helped somewhat. I also added one of the 2200uf caps in parallel (as someone else suggested) and that cured the problem, although I still get transponder dropouts on some channels. The "main" channels that I wanted to fix are "clean" now, so I will live with this.
I did do a STUPID thing, which I will admit. While soldering the caps, the fan lead "hindered" me, so I unplugged it. I then forgot to reconnect it when I installed the cover. Later, when I checked, the unit was running HOT and I discovered that it wasn't working - found the fan problem - let it cool off, but the damage was done. Partial boot-up, but then dead. I found that the problem is only the hard drive, so now to replace that!!!

Another thing I discovered that might interest all, is that CCS corporation is no longer repairing units.
ecurbswerdna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 04:03 PM   #131
moonchilddave

I have 2 DSR704 units that are both having issues. Is this procedure the same for those units as well? Anyone know? I replaced the power supply in one with one I bought from Weaknees that looked as if it was a direct pull from another unit (still had the white junk around the caps and dust on it). So I am assuming the power supply is good (didn't look like it had been a pull that was repaired). As others, removing the S-Video cable and the searching for Sat 2 issue goes away. I may have a go at replacing all the electrolytic caps on the supply I pulled and swap that back in and see if it makes a difference.

Is there a good way to get that white hot glue up? Just pull at it with a pair of needlenose pliers?
moonchilddave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 07:50 PM   #132
weaknees

The "white glue" that you see appears on brand new, out-of-the-box power supplies. It is completely normal. We had a large supply of brand new power supplies for these units, but no longer do. So (as we indicate online), the DIRECTV TiVo power supplies are tested and/or refurbished pulls. (We do have a supply of brand new HR10 power supplies--with the same white glue--but they aren't compatible with standard def TiVos.)

If you replace the power supply and the problem continues, then your tuner issue is most likely attributable to some defective parts on the motherboard, which a tuner repair can fix.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
weaknees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 03:20 PM   #133
moonchilddave

So does anyone here know if the fix outlined above applies to the Phillips DirecTiVo's? I'm an electronics tech and would rather fix this problem myself than send it off somewhere (thus not have it for a while) for repair. This fix of soldering a cap in place looks like a fairly easy and effective job.

BTW, a small screwdriver and needle nose pliers work for getting up that white junk (almost like caulk or hardened bubble gum)... PITA! Someone should put together a cap kit for these power supplies.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:38 AM   #134
dmark1867

Thumbs up Here is what worked for me

I would like to thank this forum and everyone that has posted.

I have three Philips dsr704 TiVo’s and all of them started eventually having severe pixilation on tuner 2, to the point where they were useless as dual tuner machines.

I changed the capacitors on the power supplies as shown here:
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-...-Power-Supply/

I added the extra capacitor on the power supply but this resulted in no difference with the pixilation and lack of signal for tuner 2.

With all three of mine if I did not use the 2nd composite connection the pixilation would go away but with my setup this is not an option that I wanted to use.

So I ended having a co-worker that is great at soldering, solder a capacitor to chip U49

I used the same capacitor that I used for the power supply which I purchased at mouser.com
http://www.mouser.com/access/?pn=647-UPW1C222MHD

Mouser Part #: 647-UPW1C222MHD
Description: Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitors - Leaded 16volts 2200uF 12.5x25 20% 5LS

This did fix the issue, but the legs of the capacitor were soldered directly to the chip and over time the capacitor would come off.
With it soldered directly to the chip it just was not stable.

To resolve this issue, he ended up soldering some wire to the chip and then the wire to the capacitor and then he mounted the capacitor as shown in the attached picture with a hot glue gun.

This has worked out great for me. My issue of pixilation is completed fixed. I have been running this setup for around 6 months

http://myplace.frontier.com/~vze6u2l6/1.jpg
http://myplace.frontier.com/~vze6u2l6/2.jpg
http://myplace.frontier.com/~vze6u2l6/3.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (72.9 KB, 211 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (67.5 KB, 199 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (36.0 KB, 191 views)
dmark1867 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 12:42 AM   #135
ss_sea_ya

I also experienced pixelization on Sat 2 (tuner 2) on my HDVR2. A long time ago, per suggestions here, I removed all inputs except RCA video and fiber optic Audio digital out and that vastly improved, but did not eliminate the situation. With a new season of shows upon us, I couldn't let this go any further.

So, tonight, I also finally added the 470uF radio shack capacitor to the chip on the motherboard and it is working great again thru S-video. (I have the RCA Video jack disconnected). I also reconnected the L/R audio outputs as well in case I need to dump anything to tape (ok no one yell at me for still having it. )

My first attempt (last week), I also ended up with B&W picture. 2nd attempt just couldn't get the leads to hold to the chip. So I also had to call on my expert buddy with better eyes to help out on the soldering. This time it worked and all it cost me were two good six packs of beer and late Sat night pickup at the airport for him and his wife

As for the polarity of the capacitor, one thing not mentioned but you can tell from the Pics, is Pin 7 (+) is closest to the three capacitors and Pin 3(-) Of course is on the other side.

Again, thanks everyone for the pics and time discovering a solution that works.
ss_sea_ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 01:39 PM   #136
ss_sea_ya

And it is very nice to have S-Video back!
ss_sea_ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 11:33 AM   #137
Nittany Lioness
Won't hurt a bit

This seems to be the most exhaustive thread on the Tuner 2 problem,
so I am bumping this thread as well.

Moderators - I'd like to suggest this thread be stickied to the top.
It is a BIG issue for many posters here - the question keeps getting raised.

My immediate question is -

Can someone tell me where one would buy a new capacitor, and where to look inside your unit to remove the old one(s)?

Assume you terrific folks are talking to a complete novice with no navigation skills when looking "under the hood". Instruction like "see that big shiny brown cylinder thingie? - Go right and find the silver squiggly thing."

I assume there is no labeling or numbering of parts under there?

Edit to add:

Will the exact voltage/info be on the original capacitor so I can know exactly what to buy to replace it?
I see in some of the discussions that some are adding voltage (?) and that seems scary - why would you do that?

I've had this unit (Philips DSR 708) for 6 years and so I would think that I should stick with equivalent power parts it originally came with, since it did work a good long while.

Last edited by Nittany Lioness : 10-25-2010 at 10:32 AM.
Nittany Lioness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 08:45 PM   #138
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
Replacing the capacitor is not something for the novice. You need to know how to solder, at the very least. It's not a difficult repair if you have modest soldering skills, but if you don't even know which end of a soldering iron to hold, you're not going to get far.

The "instructables" link in dmark1867's post gives you an idea of what you're looking at.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:53 AM   #139
goony

A few things that I found made my task easier (of soldering to U49 leads):
  • Strong light
  • Magnifier if you have poor eyesight. I'm blessed at age 56 to still be able to read the microprint (without glasses) on a new $20 bill if I have enough light.
  • Very fine solder, 63/37 alloy if you can get it
  • If you mount the cap elsewhere (like I did), use 30 ga. solid wirewrap wire for leads, about 1/16th inch or so bare to solder to the IC legs. I had red wire, so I used a black Sharpie pen to mark the negative wire along its length. Also, pre-strip the ends that go to the cap, or hold with pliers while stripping else you will jerk the wires right off of the legs of the U49 IC (like I did).
  • If you're really an old hardware hack like me and have the wire-wrap tool, just wire-wrap the 30ga wires to the cut-off capacitor leads and then solder them.
  • If you're like me and had a slightly larger soldering iron, get some bare solid 14ga. copper wire (i.e. from a scrap of Romex) and take 2 inches or so and wrap it around your cold iron tip, cut off what you don't need leaving about 1/2 or 3/4 inch sticking out beyond the end of the tip, pointed in the same direction as the tip (pliers may help you do the wrap). Use sharp diagonal cutters and/or a file to make a very tiny, triangular pointy tip. When the iron is hot and it's time to solder, just tin your "home-made tip" with a bit of solder and proceed. If the home-made tip isn't getting hot, then put a dab of solder on the wrapped part and it will conduct heat quickly. If you added solder to help the heat transfer, remove your temporary tip with pliers while the iron is still hot.
  • I just used slight extra solder on the tip to tack the wires to the IC legs - I didn't try to "feed solder" as my 3rd hand/arm is somehow missing from birth. :^)
  • I mounted the cap on its side on top of the composite jacks via a dab of RTV silicone (same location as dmark1867 pic #3). I'm using one of the same caps as specified for the power supply fix; I had a few extras.

With the home-made tip I got perfect results - no "torched" look or messed-up IC legs or runs. Too bad my digital camera is loaned out or I'd snap a pic and post it.

If you're not an experienced solder jockey, find some junk PC board with surface mount components on it and try your skills on it - if you can tack on wires or a spare component onto tiny IC legs on that board several times without burning things up or making a mess, then you're probably ready to try it on your DTivo.

Last edited by goony : 10-26-2010 at 01:20 AM.
goony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:50 AM   #140
Nittany Lioness
Won't hurt a bit

Wow, goony and everybody - thank you so very much for the detailed explanations.
You all on this board are so helpful.

I have a Philips DSR708, and this past weekend we removed the power supply capacitor explained earlier in this thread, and went to the one electronics store in my po-dunk town that told me over the phone they had the right replacement - get there and they closed 1/2 hour early!!!
I was so steamed. We soldered the cap back on, because - hey - one tuner working is still better than none! Plus, hubby went away Monday for a week long business trip, and he's the one doing the soldering ...

Anyway - upon closer reading of the later posts here, do you all think we should do the U49 add-on, and not bother with replacing the power supply capacitor?
It wasn't "bulging" by the way - visually it looked fine.

Hubby will have to buy a new finer point soldering iron, I gather, but he's always looking for an excuse to buy new power tools, this would be no different.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:12 AM   #141
moonchilddave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nittany Lioness View Post
Anyway - upon closer reading of the later posts here, do you all think we should do the U49 add-on, and not bother with replacing the power supply capacitor?
It wasn't "bulging" by the way - visually it looked fine.
I'd go ahead and do the PS cap and the U49 add on... Preventative measures are always good, unless you like continually tinkering with it... and a visual inspection of the cap won't always tell you if it's gone bad.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:18 AM   #142
Nittany Lioness
Won't hurt a bit

Oooor - ditch the whole idea and upgrade to High Def? -
- see my "deal" thread if you have an opinion/suggestion.
I'm going to post what I pay currently in that thread. I must be missing something, but it's almost the same price (after promotional year) than I'm paying now.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:06 PM   #143
moonchilddave

Quote:
Oooor - ditch the whole idea and upgrade to High Def? -
- see my "deal" thread if you have an opinion/suggestion.
I'm going to post what I pay currently in that thread. I must be missing something, but it's almost the same price (after promotional year) than I'm paying now.
I'll switch to HD once and IF they ever announce the HD TiVo they've been promising for over a year now it seems...
Old 10-26-2010, 01:34 PM   #144
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
Two years, but who's counting?
Old 10-27-2010, 02:13 AM   #145
chargersfan

Another Success!!

Just plain AWESOME. My Hughes Tivo DVR40 was pixlating badly on Tuner 2 with occasional freezing/shutdowns. Pictures posted by dmark1867 really helped a lot.

I'm relatively handy but I have never performed soldering in my life.
Watched bunch of "how to solder" on YouTube and practiced on my cell phone boards from the late 90's before I tried on my Tivo (I knew those cell phones will come handy someday!). Soldering capacitors on the power board, not too bad. Soldering ridiculously thin wires to U49 without a 3rd hand required lot of repeating to myself "Patience, Young Padawan".

Couple of tips on soldering to U49 in addition to what's being posted.
It helps when you get the solid wire (vs stranded).
Have soldering wick handy was absolutely necessary as I had to use it several times to clean up my handy work.

Very proud of being able to repair Tivo on my own.
Impressed my wife as well.

Thanks again.
chargersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:32 AM   #146
Nittany Lioness
Won't hurt a bit

And the capacitors y'all are adding to U49 is the same size/voltage/whatever as the one replacing the power supply location? And you all are adding one?

chargersfan - that's awesome-sauce. Good for you! I hope when hubby gets back next week we'll fix this up too. Would a wife's extra hand be useful in the soldering?
Or do we just get in the way?

Say - Are you guys suggesting the DVR without the "TiVo" is significantly different?
Features? User-friendliness? ... I always assumed all were comparable.

Last edited by Nittany Lioness : 10-27-2010 at 11:56 AM.
Nittany Lioness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 12:32 PM   #147
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
The user interface of the DirecTV DVRs is different from TiVo's, but it is quite functional.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:21 AM   #148
chargersfan

Quote:
And the capacitors y'all are adding to U49 is the same size/voltage/whatever as the one replacing the power supply location? And you all are adding one?

chargersfan - that's awesome-sauce. Good for you! I hope when hubby gets back next week we'll fix this up too. Would a wife's extra hand be useful in the soldering?
Or do we just get in the way?
I did exactly as pictured and used the same capacitor for the power supply 2200uF 16v for the U49 (just one). This way you can buy the capcitor in bulk at cheaper price. I got three DVR 40 so I expect others to pixelate soon, hence bought extra capcitors.

Wife extra hand to bring a beer.....yes.
To hold the wire for soldering....no.

chargersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 09:30 AM   #149
Nittany Lioness
Won't hurt a bit

Gah.

Re-reading the thread, specifically posts #107, #108 & #113 and beyond,
and some folks are adding 470 uF 35V (or 25V ? ) capacitors,
and others are adding the same cap as the power supply replacement calls for - a 2200 16V.

Are both safe? Which is better?

I don't want to blow up or short out or otherwise ruin my unit -
What should I do?

My unit by the way has now gotten worse - last night it had a completely blank (black) screen with only the Menu List available for view - I could click on my Now Playing shows that are stored, and their descriptions are there, but I couldn't play anything - just a blank black screen.

I unplugged and rebooted - back to normal symptom of Tuner 2 being wonky.

But it sure looks like it's on it's last legs. It reboots itself too, every few days, sometimes twice in a day.

Suckage.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:09 AM   #150
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
I have not gone back and looked at the other posts, but replacing one capacitor value (the uF) with a wildly different one is not a good idea. Higher voltage rating is fine, lower is not. Make sure you're talking about the same capacitor.