TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-19-2010, 08:41 AM   #2551
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Hmm... I'm kind of excited to see what comes with the changes implemented in r1130 and above. I know I could download and compile to get a first-hand look, but I want to see where K. is going with this...

The pithy change descriptions are intriguing!
orangeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 08:59 PM   #2552
jbernardis

I did some digging on curl and EWOULDBLOCK errors, and found that some changes were introduced into version 7.18.2 of curl to address these errors. I'm not sure if this solves the problems I've been having - the release notes were very vague - but I thought it was worth further investigation. The current version of curl is 7.21.1; the version installed by kmttg on my system is 7.18.0 - at least 10 versions behind current, and 2 versions behind the one that had the fix I wanted. I downloaded 7.21.1 and am trying it now. Since my problem is sporadic in nature, it will probably take some time before I am confident that this fixes the issue - I will let you know.

In the meantime, anybody who is having transfer failure issues could try this out themselves. Just download and install the new version into a different directory and then point kmttg to that directory - you can always restore the old version if it doesn't help.
1 Win7 HTPC with Ceton Quad Tuner

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

jbernardis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 09:16 PM   #2553
bwall23

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
FWIW I did find a fairly simple & standard way using DOM for parsing xml files which is part of normal Java distribution which made it easy to parse get seriesId out of .TiVo metadata information. That is already checked in to source tree and will be part of next release. (Note that when starting from downloads instead of .TiVo files seriesId was already taken care of). If desired I can upload a beta kmttg.jar with that change, but since you already are using a different metadata generator perhaps it's a don't care at this point.
I am also having a problem with pyTivoMetaGen and it appears incorrect XML parsing causes it.

Not sure if you're going after seriesID by pulling it from the 2nd XML chunk gen'd by tivodecode/tdcat, because that's the only place it exists for files from my TiVoHD.

If you pad a recording to start/stop before and/or after it's scheduled time, the XML chunk output includes info for the show before and/or after the one you recorded. This is within the section <vActualShowing></vActualShowing>. The only way to get the correct info for the show actually recorded is to pull it from the section <showing></showing>.

In the case where you pad the recording to start a minute early and end a minute late, the 2nd XML chunk contains 4 separate
Code:
<series>
   <uniqueId>######</uniqueId>
</series>
sections. Three in the <vActualShowing> section for the pre-pad show, your recorded show and the post-pad show. The other (and correct one all the time) is in the <showing> section.
bwall23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 10:37 PM   #2554
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwall23 View Post
I am also having a problem with pyTivoMetaGen and it appears incorrect XML parsing causes it.

Not sure if you're going after seriesID by pulling it from the 2nd XML chunk gen'd by tivodecode/tdcat, because that's the only place it exists for files from my TiVoHD.

If you pad a recording to start/stop before and/or after it's scheduled time, the XML chunk output includes info for the show before and/or after the one you recorded. This is within the section <vActualShowing></vActualShowing>. The only way to get the correct info for the show actually recorded is to pull it from the section <showing></showing>.

In the case where you pad the recording to start a minute early and end a minute late, the 2nd XML chunk contains 4 separate
Code:
<series>
   <uniqueId>######</uniqueId>
</series>
sections. Three in the <vActualShowing> section for the pre-pad show, your recorded show and the post-pad show. The other (and correct one all the time) is in the <showing> section.
Yes, I always use the 2nd xml chunk file.
Try out beta version of kmttg.jar in this zip file to see if it works for you. It looks for seriesId under <showing>/<program>/<series>/<uniqueId>

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 02:32 PM   #2555
bwall23

Quote:
Yes, I always use the 2nd xml chunk file.
Try out beta version of kmttg.jar in this zip file to see if it works for you. It looks for seriesId under <showing>/<program>/<series>/<uniqueId>
Running that beta now. At first glance it appears to get a seriesId for all .TiVo files I've tried it on so far. I'll need to verify it's pulling the correct seriesId. I do see other problems with this beta version where description, episodeTitle, isEpisode, isEpisodic, episodeNumber, etc. are being pulled from <vActualShowing> which is not the right place to get it from since padded recordings causes other program info to appear in that section, unless you can somehow identify which <element> in <vActualShowing> corresponds to the recorded program. In any case, there is no additional info for the recorded program in <vActualShowing><element> that isn't in <showing>.

If it would help, I can zip up a couple xml examples and attach them.

Last edited by bwall23 : 08-21-2010 at 02:49 PM.
Old 08-21-2010, 03:32 PM   #2556
moyekj

I think I just need to update it so everything is pulled from within <showing> and hopefully that should be correct. I'll post another version when ready.

Old 08-21-2010, 04:12 PM   #2557
bwall23

Quote:
I think I just need to update it so everything is pulled from within <showing> and hopefully that should be correct. I'll post another version when ready.
Thanks.

Just as an FYI, I have some .TiVo recordings that are missing some metadata, like description and/or episodeTitle, for some reason. Looking at the XML there isn't even a <description> or <episodeTitle> section. What happens in that case? Do you leave them out of the generated metadata file since pyTiVo doesn't care?
Old 08-21-2010, 04:55 PM   #2558
moyekj

OK, all keys are now parsed within <showing> only, so I believe should now be correct. Try this new beta version.
For cases where certain keys don't exist they are left out of pyTivo file.

Old 08-21-2010, 07:05 PM   #2559
bwall23

Thumbs up

Quote:
OK, all keys are now parsed within <showing> only, so I believe should now be correct. Try this new beta version.
For cases where certain keys don't exist they are left out of pyTivo file.
Excellent!!!

Works great so far (tried about 50 files and comparing the XML with the beta output).

Only one discrepancy, but I'm not sure if it will cause any issues with anything. On some programs you are setting "isEpisode : false" when the XML has "isEpisode : true", on others you get it correct.

Thanks again for a great program!
Old 08-21-2010, 08:03 PM   #2560
moyekj

Quote:
Excellent!!!

Works great so far (tried about 50 files and comparing the XML with the beta output).

Only one discrepancy, but I'm not sure if it will cause any issues with anything. On some programs you are setting "isEpisode : false" when the XML has "isEpisode : true", on others you get it correct.

Thanks again for a great program!
Looking at the code, I search for both "isEpisode" and "isEpisodic". But if isEpisodic exists it overrides the value of isEpisode. i.e. for final pyTivo file is basically:
isEpisode = isEpisodic || isEpisode
Can't recall why but it is intentionally coded that way, but perhaps because old way of parsing wasn't too smart. In any case in latest code I've commented that out so that isEpisode = isEpisode. Don't know if you want another jar file posted with tat update or not...

Old 08-21-2010, 08:35 PM   #2561
bwall23

Quote:
Looking at the code, I search for both "isEpisode" and "isEpisodic". But if isEpisodic exists it overrides the value of isEpisode. i.e. for final pyTivo file is basically:
Can't recall why but it is intentionally coded that way, but perhaps because old way of parsing wasn't too smart. In any case in latest code I've commented that out so that isEpisode = isEpisode. Don't know if you want another jar file posted with tat update or not...
I would think it best to reflect what's in the .TiVo file. Regarding isEpisode, the pyTiVo metadata wiki says
Quote:
Must be entered as true or false. If true, the year from originalAirDate will be shown in parentheses after the episode’s title and before the description on the Program screen. If false, the year will not appear. Does not affect grouping based on seriesId. No capital letters. Capitalizing will cause the common error*. Leaving field blank will cause the common error*. Can be omitted with no ill effects.

Old 08-21-2010, 09:36 PM   #2562
moyekj

Quote:
I would think it best to reflect what's in the .TiVo file. Regarding isEpisode, the pyTiVo metadata wiki says
Already committed and available here.

Old 08-21-2010, 10:46 PM   #2563
bwall23

Thumbs up

Quote:
Already committed and available here.
Awesome! Looks like you nailed it. It Works!!!
Old 08-22-2010, 09:00 AM   #2564
shiffrin

I have a new Tivo Premiere XL with the 1 terabyte drive. kmttg (the L version) is installed on my Windows Home Server and is workign well except for 2 things.

1. It always tells me that there is no free space. The drive size is shown as the actual space in use instead of 1000 GB. When I display the circle graph of space used, it does not show any free space either. Is this a known problem?

2. Every few days, I get a message that I have file conflicts on the server. It always refers to file auto.log.0 and sometimes auto.log.lck as being open when it is trying to update them. I have to reboot the server to get rid of the file conflict message.

Other than these 2 minot problems, the program is working great. Thanks for your efforts.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:36 AM   #2565
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiffrin View Post
I have a new Tivo Premiere XL with the 1 terabyte drive. kmttg (the L version) is installed on my Windows Home Server and is workign well except for 2 things.

1. It always tells me that there is no free space. The drive size is shown as the actual space in use instead of 1000 GB. When I display the circle graph of space used, it does not show any free space either. Is this a known problem?

2. Every few days, I get a message that I have file conflicts on the server. It always refers to file auto.log.0 and sometimes auto.log.lck as being open when it is trying to update them. I have to reboot the server to get rid of the file conflict message.

Other than these 2 minot problems, the program is working great. Thanks for your efforts.
1. Once you click on "Disk Usage" button at the very top of the window where it says "Total Disk Space (GB)" you have to enter your TiVo drive size in GB and then press enter (in your case about 915 is right number to enter). If you hover over that field you will see a tooltip explaining that. Then kmttg will compute free space compared to that number. You only need to do that once since the setting will be saved from then on.

2. That most likely means there is more than 1 kmttg in auto transfers mode running at the same time. Note that if you have service running and then run Auto Transfers->Loop in GUI that would create a conflict. Regardless a reboot should not be necessary - you can bring up Task Manger to find and kill extra javaw.exe instances that are running.

Last edited by moyekj : 08-22-2010 at 10:44 AM.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:03 PM   #2566
shiffrin

Quote:
1. Once you click on "Disk Usage" button at the very top of the window where it says "Total Disk Space (GB)" you have to enter your TiVo drive size in GB and then press enter (in your case about 915 is right number to enter). If you hover over that field you will see a tooltip explaining that. Then kmttg will compute free space compared to that number. You only need to do that once since the setting will be saved from then on.

2. That most likely means there is more than 1 kmttg in auto transfers mode running at the same time. Note that if you have service running and then run Auto Transfers->Loop in GUI that would create a conflict. Regardless a reboot should not be necessary - you can bring up Task Manger to find and kill extra javaw.exe instances that are running.
Thanks for the reply. I don't remember setting the disk size when I first installed kmttg with my old Series 3, but that did solve the problem with the Premiere.

I don't have the 'loop in GUI' set, but I'll watch for the file conflicts to show up again and check services to see if I have 2 javaw.exe's running.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:29 PM   #2567
cweb

Just tried the beta version. The "auto tune" feature is a great addition. The feature works without fail on two of my Tivo's (1 premiere, 1 XL), but on three they always fail (3 XLs). I get the following message:

telnet - Failed to connect to host: 192.168.1.124
telnet - connect timed out

Restarting the failing Tivos doesn't have any affect. Kmttg seems to be otherwise functioning great. Any ideas why a group of them might be failing?

Thanks in advance.
cweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 02:32 PM   #2568
shiffrin

Quote:
I got the file conflict message again from Windows Home Server. I opened the task manager and there were no instances of javaw.exe running. I had selected the 'show tasks for all users' box to make sure it wasn't missed. The file conflict is for auto.log.0

Any other ideas?
Old 08-23-2010, 02:55 PM   #2569
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by cweb View Post
Just tried the beta version. The "auto tune" feature is a great addition. The feature works without fail on two of my Tivo's (1 premiere, 1 XL), but on three they always fail (3 XLs). I get the following message:

telnet - Failed to connect to host: 192.168.1.124
telnet - connect timed out

Restarting the failing Tivos doesn't have any affect. Kmttg seems to be otherwise functioning great. Any ideas why a group of them might be failing?

Thanks in advance.
Maybe you have "Network Remote Control" option disabled on those machines. The tooltip when you hover over "Tune to specified channels before a download" explains where you enable that option for S3/S4 TiVos.

Old 08-23-2010, 02:59 PM   #2570
moyekj

Quote:
I got the file conflict message again from Windows Home Server. I opened the task manager and there were no instances of javaw.exe running. I had selected the 'show tasks for all users' box to make sure it wasn't missed. The file conflict is for auto.log.0

Any other ideas?
I guess you need to figure out what is locking those files as something seems to be preventing them from being changed. Are you able to manually rename the auto.log.0 and remove the .lck file? If not I think there are programs out there that can determine what process has locks on files, but I don't remember any specific ones right now. I think it's the .lck file that is preventing kmttg from creating a lock on auto.log.0, so if you are able to remove that file then that solves the issue, then the question is why is kmttg not gracefully dropping that lock (deleting the .lck file) on exit as is supposed to be happening.

Old 08-23-2010, 04:12 PM   #2571
shiffrin

Quote:
I guess you need to figure out what is locking those files as something seems to be preventing them from being changed. Are you able to manually rename the auto.log.0 and remove the .lck file? If not I think there are programs out there that can determine what process has locks on files, but I don't remember any specific ones right now. I think it's the .lck file that is preventing kmttg from creating a lock on auto.log.0, so if you are able to remove that file then that solves the issue, then the question is why is kmttg not gracefully dropping that lock (deleting the .lck file) on exit as is supposed to be happening.
I was not able to delete auto.log.o.lck since it said it was open in another program. I found 2 utilities to help identify the program that has it locked. One is called 'Process Explorer' from Microsoft and another is called wholockme from a freeware site. Both of these programs say that auto.log.0 and auto.log.0.lck are still open by java.exe

I stopped the kmttg service and the files were unlocked immediately. I then restarted kmttg and the files remain unlocked.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:11 PM   #2572
moyekj

Quote:
I was not able to delete auto.log.o.lck since it said it was open in another program. I found 2 utilities to help identify the program that has it locked. One is called 'Process Explorer' from Microsoft and another is called wholockme from a freeware site. Both of these programs say that auto.log.0 and auto.log.0.lck are still open by java.exe

I stopped the kmttg service and the files were unlocked immediately. I then restarted kmttg and the files remain unlocked.
That's correct behavior. When kmttg service is started it should put a lock on it, when stopped it should release the lock. So is your problem when the service is re-started say after a reboot or something that kmttg won't start because of lock file? If that's the case that is when you need to find out what has a lock on the file still, and if nothing does then you should at least be able to remove the lock file so that kmttg service starts normally.

Old 08-23-2010, 05:18 PM   #2573
shiffrin

Quote:
That's correct behavior. When kmttg service is started it should put a lock on it, when stopped it should release the lock. So is your problem when the service is re-started say after a reboot or something that kmttg won't start because of lock file? If that's the case that is when you need to find out what has a lock on the file still, and if nothing does then you should at least be able to remove the lock file so that kmttg service starts normally.
I leave kmttg running all the time. After a few days of running, Windows Home Server informs me that there are file conflicts and points to auto.log.0 and (sometimes) auto.log.0.lck as being open in another program. I haven't noticed any particular action that causes this problem to occur. Due to the problem, the Windows Home Server icon stays yellow and the popup on my desktop keeps showing up and gets annoying.

At least now I have an easier way to get rid of it by stopping and starting the service.
Old 08-25-2010, 03:30 AM   #2574
bwall23

Quote:
While I was testing this beta I put together a simple windows command script to generate XML metadata files from TiVo files. It's very simple yet flexible. It can be run stand-alone, have a single TiVo file passed to it as a parameter as a custom kmttg script, have a single TiVo file dropped on it using Windows Explorer, have a folder of TiVo files dropped on it, etc. The reason I'm using it is to archive the original metadata from a TiVo file, so that after I've converted the TiVo file to mpeg and deleted the TiVo file I still have all of it's original metadata. Just in case sometime in the future while I still have my TiVo video library stored as mpeg files and metadata text files on my server that I need some metadata that wasn't included in the metadata text file generated by kmttg. As output it stores the xml metadata in a file in the same directory and with the same name as the .TiVo file, but with a .xml file extension instead of .TiVo.

Example:
TiVo file = T:\vidshares\Breakin-Loose\The Culture Clash Manifest (ep3 MAXHD 9956).TiVo
xml file = T:\vidshares\Breakin-Loose\The Culture Clash Manifest (ep3 MAXHD 9956).xml

The xml file can be opened and viewed in Windows Internet Explorer.

Since I'm running Win7-64, this is the only platform I've tested it on.

Some of the commands may require that command extensions be enabled.

I'm just offering it in case anyone finds it usefull and will not support it since it's just a windows command script.

Copy the code and save it to a file with a .cmd extension, I call it MakeTiVoXML.cmd.

Modify the following lines to make it work on your PC and with your TiVo

SET _TDCAT-EXEC=Fully qualified path of your tdcat.exe
SET _TIVOMAK=The MAK of your TiVo

Code:
REM SET _TDCAT-EXEC to the fully qualified path of your tdcat.exe file
SET _TDCAT-EXEC="C:\Users\MyUserName\Documents\Download\SOFTWARE\kmttg\tivodecode\tdcat.exe"

REM if this is being used as a custom kmttg script you will have to enter your MAK below as kmttg won't prompt you for it
SET _TIVOMAK=0123456789
REM SET /P prompts user for input and assigns it to the variable _TIVOMAK
REM SET /P _TIVOMAK=Enter Tivo's MAK 

REM assign the fully qualified path dropped on/passed us to the variable _TARGET
SET _TARGET=%1

REM if nothing dropped on/passed us (i.e. command script was just run by double-clicking it) assign the path this command script is located in to the variable _TARGET
IF %1.==. SET _TARGET=%~dp0

REM if what was dropped on/passed us is a single tivo file then just process that single tivo file
IF /I %~x1.==.tivo. GOTO DOFILE

REM otherwise recursively process all tivo files in the _TARGET directory and it's subdirectories and exit
FOR /R %_TARGET% %%A IN (*.tivo) DO %_TDCAT-EXEC% -m %_TIVOMAK% -o "%%~dpnA.xml" -2 "%%A"
GOTO FINISHED

:DOFILE
REM if what was dropped on/passed us is a single tivo file then just process that single tivo file
%_TDCAT-EXEC% -m %_TIVOMAK% -o "%~dpn1.xml" -2 %1

:FINISHED
EXIT

REM tdcat syntax is tdcat.exe [-m mak] [-o outfile] [-2] tivofile
REM %~_VARIABLE  - expands %_VARIABLE removing any surrounding quotes (")
REM %~f_VARIABLE - expands %_VARIABLE to a fully qualified path name
REM %~d_VARIABLE - expands %_VARIABLE to a drive letter only
REM %~p_VARIABLE - expands %_VARIABLE to a path only
REM %~n_VARIABLE - expands %_VARIABLE to a file name only
REM %~x_VARIABLE - expands %_VARIABLE to a file extension only

Old 08-26-2010, 12:51 AM   #2575
RickL66

Hello, I've been using Tivo Desktop for awhile and came across this program. Wow, this is far better than TiVo Desktop and I wasted money on the Plus version before I found this.

I'm currently running the v0p7l version, and I am unable to get the captions box checked. It's greyed out. How to I enable it?
RickL66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 02:30 AM   #2576
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickL66 View Post
Hello, I've been using Tivo Desktop for awhile and came across this program. Wow, this is far better than TiVo Desktop and I wasted money on the Plus version before I found this.

I'm currently running the v0p7l version, and I am unable to get the captions box checked. It's greyed out. How to I enable it?
You need to install T2Sami t2extract and then point kmttg to where you installed it as described in the configuration Wiki page:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiki page
For windows systems if you specify the full path to T2Sami t2extract.exe program this will enable the captions option to extract closed captions from video files.

Old 08-26-2010, 10:34 AM   #2577
RickL66

Quote:
You need to install T2Sami t2extract and then point kmttg to where you installed it as described in the Wiki page:
Ah! Gotcha. I was trying to read through all pages on this thread, I guess I got overwhelmed with all the information involved. I will install it tonight. Thanks, and keep up the good work!
RickL66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 04:31 PM   #2578
moyekj

v0p7m version released

v0p7m version just released. Consult Release Notes for details of all enhancements, changes and fixes. Highlight for this release is new Autotune capability to have kmttg use Network Remote capability of Series 3 & 4 TiVos to change channels on your TiVos before a download initiates. Setting up to tune to channels you don't subscribe or music channels can reduce load on your TiVos to improved download speeds. (Obviously this capability is not useful if you use suggestions and/or are recording programs while downloading). Some good fixes related to metadata file creation are also part of this release.

Old 08-28-2010, 09:17 PM   #2579
PaulS

Wow, Kevin. Nice update! I'm really liking the sound of the new autotune feature.

One question. Does autotune check to see if you're currently recording anything on either of the tuners before it attempts to change the channels ?
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 09:53 PM   #2580
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Wow, Kevin. Nice update! I'm really liking the sound of the new autotune feature.

One question. Does autotune check to see if you're currently recording anything on either of the tuners before it attempts to change the channels ?
No. But attempting to change channels for a tuner that is busy recording will simply fail which is the desired behavior (if background tuner is not also recording then the channel change will happen on that tuner). There actually is a network command for "force tuning" which will force a tune to that channel, canceling recording in progress if necessary, but obviously that is not desirable for most cases.