TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-11-2010, 02:09 PM   #1
whitmerm

No local dial-in numbers in any area code

Greetings!

I have a Hughes SD-DVR40 on which I recently did a "clear and delete everything" reset. It boots successfully, and I can watch live TV. The problem is that, in order to record shows, I have to make an initial phone call.

Ostensibly, the purpose of this first phone call is to download a list of local dial-up numbers for my specified local area code. The TiVo is able to complete this first call successfully (without having to put a different phone number in as a dialing prefix). The problem is that, after completing the first call, it tells me that there are no local dial-in numbers available in my area code and that I should try a different nearby area code.

I'm calling from Atlanta, and I have other TiVos that successfully call out to a local number in my area code, so I don't believe that there are actually no dial-up numbers here. Secondly, I've tried dozens of other area codes from different major cities, and it tells me there aren't any local dial-in numbers in any of those area codes either.

Any ideas?
whitmerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 02:20 PM   #2
wesmills

I think DirecTiVos have an outdated number to dial for getting local numbers. Try this procedure from WeaKnees:

"Try a new/different dial-in number. Many VoIP users have reported that not all dial-in numbers work equally well with VoIP and an external modem. To change your dial-in number, first find the number here. Then, change your dialing prefix from ",#319" (pause enter 319 on your remote) to ",#319,,XXXXX" and replace the "Xs" with the number that you found from the linnk above, as you would dial it on your phone."
wesmills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 02:52 PM   #3
whitmerm

Thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately, I get the same result either way. The call completes successfully, but there are no local dial-in numbers available for whatever area code I specify.

For the record, this is an unhacked TiVo using the internal modem over a traditional landline. Using another phone on the same line, I can hear it dial out and connect.
whitmerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 05:59 PM   #4
weaknees

Those instructions are only partially good.

You need to have your dialing prefix be the following:

,#019,,XXXXXX

The 319 is for an external modem; you need 019 for your internal modem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
weaknees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:10 PM   #5
arc6th
Fair and Balanced

The 019 dialing prefix code doesn't eliminate the Final Setup Steps page which is encountered whenever we enter the Phone settings or attempt to record a show. We cannot change any phone settings until the box believes it has downloaded useful numbers. The number is dialed & connected, but the box isn't convinced we are allowed to use the DVR part of the DVR40, yet.

I expect a return call from DirecTV's tech support in the next few days, but after reading a few other threads I expect I'll be left with a TB hard drive I can toss into my Drobo.
Old 08-13-2010, 04:24 PM   #6
weaknees

Yes. There is a problem with DIRECTV's servers. Whatever area code you select, you get the same error (no numbers). Anyone who does a "Clear and Delete Everything" on their TiVo will be stuck. I can only assume that DIRECTV is working on the problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-14-2010, 12:28 AM   #7
Dansch18

same problem

I just activated an old R10, and I'm having the same problem. I was on the telephone with Directv and they couldn't solve it. They thought perhaps different units dial different numbers which isn't true.
Dansch18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 01:20 PM   #8
pteronaut
Registered Snoozer

How about telling your DTiVo that your area code is 800, 888 or 866?
pteronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 11:59 AM   #9
lichenpursley

Arrow Same problem - No Love from DirecTV

I recently purchase a refurbished Philips DSR704 and I've got the same problem. Spent 5 hours with 3 different DirecTV reps on the phone yesterday and had no resolution. Telling the system to try a 800, 866, 888, 877 area code doesn't help. I tried three other major area codes 415 (SF), 503 (PDX), and 212 (NY), no luck there either. I also tried tricking the TiVo into calling one of the many numbers listed on TiVo's website for the 702 area code by putting the number in the Dial Prefix. This work in as far as it dial and completed the sequence. However, it did not download any local numbers and I still can't use the DVR part of the tuner. I Any ideas out there?
lichenpursley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 12:18 PM   #10
weaknees

We have notified DIRECTV engineers of the problem, and they have notified TiVo. I have not (yet) received an update, but the problem impacts every DIRECTV TiVo (or newly installed hard drive) that is going through setup for the first time.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:03 AM   #11
TDJ

Hughes series 2 phone call/setup guide failure

I am having the exact same problem. I just dropped a new HD in this machine and I can't get passed the setup guide (I've never had this problem before) because every time I make the call it comes back with something like " there are no dial numbers for this area code" which is bull because I just made calls on my other 2 dvr's this morning using numbers from my area code. Also, it's giving me the same message no matter what area code I put in.

I talked to DirecTv about this last Friday and they were clueless. As a matter of fact, they told me that it could be because my equipment is so old and I should get newer machines. I didn't spend all that money at Weaknees on a big HD just to chuck it and take whatever DirecTv wants to give to me. I'm not giving up that easy. But, I am concerned about this.
TDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 05:15 PM   #12
cataloger42

Just adding another complaint with the same problem on a used R10. Another example of Directv's resistance to supporting Tivo, I'm guessing.
cataloger42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 08:34 PM   #13
lichenpursley

On to Day 4 of the "No Local Phone Numbers" issue

So we're on to day 4 (Business Days) of this same problem with no resolution from DIRECTV or TIVO. Just got off the phone with DIRECTV and was told that this was a TIVO problem and they have no plans to provide additional support or fix the issue. TIVO won't talk to me because they say it's a DIRECTV problem.

Maybe it's just time to throw in the towel, upgrade to a new TIVO and switch to cable.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:14 PM   #14
ervilla41

Hello Everyone I also have this error with final set up has anyone found a fix for yet as of 08/18/2010. I have tried several fixes no luck. I believe there are many others with this issue.
ervilla41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 07:18 PM   #15
shwru980r

Looks like Tivo is playing hard ball to deactivate any Tivo they possibly can.

Premiere-$99 Lifetime-OTA
HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 04:17 AM   #16
TDJ

update - Hughes series 2 phone call/setup guide failure

Success ! But, still no dial in numbers. I know it doesn't make sense. But, I'll take it.

Since last Friday, I haven't been able to get through the setup guide because DirecTV keeps telling my machine that there are no local dial in numbers. As a result, I've had live TV. But, the dvr service won't activate.

Yesterday morning around 9:30, I turned my dvr on and it was making a normal call which I didn't tell it to do. I was thrilled because I haven't been able to access the screen where you can tell it to make a normal call. When it comes to phone settings, I've only been able to access the setup guide to look for local dial in numbers. It took over 40 minutes to complete the call. After that, I was able to record and setup my season passes. I've even made another successful update call since then.

There's just one strange thing and it's really not important to me. Even though my machine is making successful calls, when I go under settings, phone and change phone settings, there is the list of options which includes "dial-in number" at the top. There is still no number listed there. When I click on it, I am still prompted to make a toll free call to look for a good dial in number. When I do that and the call succeeds, it is still coming back and saying that there are no dial in numbers for my area code just like before.

So, I don't know what number my machine called for its update. But, I'm up and running just like usual and whenever I turn the dvr on, I'm not prompted to make a call for dial in numbers. Everything appears normal. Maybe everyone elses machines will update like this also.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:46 AM   #17
lichenpursley

Interesting Development

Well my machine is scheduled to attempt a call at 12:29 PDT today. Unfortunately, I won't be around to see how that goes but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Hopefully, when I get home tonight I have a similar semi-success story.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:02 AM   #18
Admdata

I have HDVR2 when it makes a call I have the same thing in the fact that it doesn't have a dial in # but if I hook up a phone line to it and tell it to dial it does and works fine downloading something. (I don't keep a phone line hooked up to it) since it doesn't do anything for the tivo (software updates and etc)

Tivo Series 2 80 gb hd
Admdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 03:57 PM   #19
cataloger42

Question for TDJ - can you record anything? My receiver seems to be working fine without the list of call-in numbers. The in-line recording works. But when I try to press the record button or schedule a recording, the message comes back that I need to call before this feature is available.
cataloger42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 07:48 PM   #20
TDJ

Hughes series 2 phone call/setup guide failure♦

"Question for TDJ - can you record anything?"

Yes. As soon as that very long phone call went through on Tuesday, I was able to record live by just hitting the record button. Then, I set my season passes up.

The other slightly odd thing I noticed while all of this was going on was that this dvr was downloading service data from the satellite three times a night. Usually it's just once per night around 2:00 AM. But, I would see it downloading at 2:00, 3:00 and 4:00 every night for about four nights in a row until it finally made that call I described earlier.
Old 08-20-2010, 02:00 PM   #21
lichenpursley

Still Doesn't Work...

My Philips DSR704 did not successfully make it's last two scheduled calls and the local phone issue is still unresolved.
Old 08-21-2010, 12:15 PM   #22
scott429

They told me 48-72 hours!

Just got off the phone with directv (Saturday, noon ET) because of No Local Access Numbers (Samsung SIR4040). She dug around and eventually discovered that the problem's been documented and they expect to have the toll-free Guided Setup working in 48-72.

We'll see...
scott429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 01:22 PM   #23
bunsterlama

Exclamation Well See!

Scott429 they told you 48-72 hrs. They told me 36-48 hrs last Tuesday, So we will see. I have a Philips Series 2 and I'm having the same problem goining on day 8!
bunsterlama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 03:05 PM   #24
lichenpursley

Resolution Timeline Shenanigans...

I call shenanigans!
DIRECTV told me there engineers would have the problem resolved in 48hrs on Saturday 14 Aug. What incentive does DIRECTV have to fix this problem? They know their customers have only three options:
1. Accept their offers to provide a DIRECTV brand DVR.
(Which BTW, works about as well as you'd expect a TIVO brand knock off to work.)
2. Cancel their DIRECTV service.
(Which I looked into. I now have a much better understanding of just how bad cable customer service is and why DIRECTV can legitimately claim that their service is competitively priced.)
3. Simply accept not being able to actually use the DVR functionality of their old DIRECTV TIVOs.

SHENANIGANS!!!
Old 08-21-2010, 07:50 PM   #25
Adam1115
20,000!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lichenpursley View Post
I call shenanigans!
DIRECTV told me there engineers would have the problem resolved in 48hrs on Saturday 14 Aug. What incentive does DIRECTV have to fix this problem? They know their customers have only three options:
1. Accept their offers to provide a DIRECTV brand DVR.
(Which BTW, works about as well as you'd expect a TIVO brand knock off to work.)
2. Cancel their DIRECTV service.
(Which I looked into. I now have a much better understanding of just how bad cable customer service is and why DIRECTV can legitimately claim that their service is competitively priced.)
3. Simply accept not being able to actually use the DVR functionality of their old DIRECTV TIVOs.

SHENANIGANS!!!
In fairness, I believe the DirecTiVo dials into TiVo, not DirecTV... It may have nothing to do with DirecTV...

Adam1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 07:59 PM   #26
trvlntom

I just joined the forum.
Same story as everyone else.

Accept. DirectTV is sending me a new DVR at no charge.
trvlntom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 06:07 PM   #27
moonchilddave

Same boat as everyone else here... No numbers available no matter what area code I put in, including 800.

Does anyone know the number that the DirecTivo dials to get the local numbers? I had an issue on an old SA Series 1 TiVo with the modem partially bad... I ended up having to dial the number myself and then plug the phone line and TiVo would take it the rest of the way. The number it dialed to get the list of numbers was 877-877-1756.
moonchilddave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 08:46 PM   #28
Keeptfaith

DirecTiVo RCA DVR40 with New Hard Drive

I am going on 14 days of frustration.

I have an old DirecTiVo RCA DVR40 and bought a new hard drive. The install went great and all was good until I got to the Update Local Numbers screen of the Guided Setup.

I spent several days talking to DirecTV, TiVo and AT&T Uvers. I was told that the call won't work with Uverse Voice so I called AT&T to turn the phone line back to the analog phone line. (The tech then proceeded to break our internet connection, but that's another story). Suffice it to say that the phone call still didn't work and I continued to get the dreaded "You have no dial in numbers for that area code" screen.

I then called DirecTV and asked straight away to talk to a supervisor. After I spoke with the supervisor on Friday, Aug 20, at about 3 PM (PST), I was told that she was sending an email to TiVo to have them send my box an 800 number that could be used for my daily call. I tried to explain that it's not the daily call that I'm trying to get, but she cut me off and said it would work in 48 - 72 hours. (Not sure if that is business hours or real-time hours).

At least I know I'm not alone. I'll let you know what happens.
Keeptfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 08:57 PM   #29
moonchilddave

I spoke to DirecTV last night about this, and was told they would set it up to call my TiVo so that I would be able to record - but it could take up to 24 hours. 24 hours later, still no luck.

This is ****ing ridiculous... Is there some way to hack into the file system on the TiVo and trick it into thinking the call was made and put in a local number?
moonchilddave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 10:51 PM   #30
pkindell

I got my Tivo back from Weaknees today. Same problem as everyone else.
Has anyone elses dialed in on it's own?
TDJ, did you do anything to your setup to help it along?

PK
pkindell is offline   Reply With Quote