Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-01-2010, 02:51 PM   #2341
Stormspace
Electrocuted by TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
Perhaps that's the world as seen by ComCast subscribers (especially by those like you who don't need Tuning Adapters) but it isn't the one seen by many Time Warner subscribers, noting that TWC has the second largest digital subscriber base. The norm for TWC techs is they are far from familiar with TiVo although they may have "heard" of it. And tuning adapters frequently have major problems on TWC systems, including needing to be "hit" by TWC frequently and failing to tune SDV channels reliably, resulting in lost recordings. There are several large threads in this forum with Time Warner in their titles that will illustrate this.
And don't forget that a CC and TA enabled TiVo will not record suggestions in some markets since TWC disables unattended channel changes of that nature.
180hr S2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stormspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 04:08 PM   #2342
atroy

Does that problem include season pass recordings or just tivo suggestions?
atroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 04:10 PM   #2343
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormspace View Post
And don't forget that a CC and TA enabled TiVo will not record suggestions in some markets since TWC disables unattended channel changes of that nature.
I think you will find that this is not true. The no suggestions is a TiVo S3 problem. My S3 and THD wont record suggestions with the TA attached but my Premiere records suggestions just fine with the TA attached.
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 04:13 PM   #2344
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by atroy View Post
Does that problem include season pass recordings or just tivo suggestions?
The issue with THD and S3 relative to the presence of a TA impacts only Suggestions.
Old 07-02-2010, 07:29 AM   #2345
JimWall

Quote:
Guess I am lucky in Mason/Cincinnati Ohio. Suggestions are working fine with my S3.
They are getting better with Blinking problem. Last month a new person on phone followed instructions and they worked. She said they now have a list of several different hits to send instead of just one or two.

If TA cannot tune a switched channell I wonder if it is because they allocated too many channels to SDV and no free channel was available when trying to tune it. At hasn't happend to me for a while.
JimWall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 08:07 AM   #2346
Stormspace
Electrocuted by TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSIRAID View Post
I think you will find that this is not true. The no suggestions is a TiVo S3 problem. My S3 and THD wont record suggestions with the TA attached but my Premiere records suggestions just fine with the TA attached.
Interesting. Makes you wonder if TiVo changed the type of channel change the Premiere requests or if the difference is hardware related.
180hr S2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stormspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 08:31 AM   #2347
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Interesting. Makes you wonder if TiVo changed the type of channel change the Premiere requests or if the difference is hardware related.
TiVo could not have changed the channel request type or it wouldnt have passed cablelabs cert.

Im 100% confident the issue is TiVo Software. They had a very similar problem where S3/THD boxes with TA's could not 'see' S2 boxes via the network. That was fixed with the last S3/THD SW update.

Here is a clip from my email exchange with TWC Corporate Engineering on 'background tunes'.

Per the Channel change spec, speculative recordings are in the same class as background recordings. For example when a MDN box is buffering a channel not on the main screen that is considered a background recording. The same background time shift buffer is coming soon to ODN. Because of the amount of SDV blocks Charlotte was having awhile back I believe Charlotte and Raleigh changed the background aging setting down to 1 second.

So what this does is, after 1 second the USRM will consider this background stream reclaimable and it can be potentially torn down if additional bandwidth is needed. Iím pretty sure this is what is going on. He is most likely in a SG that blocks on a frequent basis and because these types of recordings are best effort, and the timer is set low, it interrupts background or speculative recordings.

Old 07-02-2010, 08:43 AM   #2348
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
TiVo could not have changed the channel request type or it wouldnt have passed cablelabs cert.

Im 100% confident the issue is TiVo Software. They had a very similar problem where S3/THD boxes with TA's could not 'see' S2 boxes via the network. That was fixed with the last S3/THD SW update.

Here is a clip from my email exchange with TWC Corporate Engineering on 'background tunes'.

Per the Channel change spec, speculative recordings are in the same class as background recordings. For example when a MDN box is buffering a channel not on the main screen that is considered a background recording. The same background time shift buffer is coming soon to ODN. Because of the amount of SDV blocks Charlotte was having awhile back I believe Charlotte and Raleigh changed the background aging setting down to 1 second.

So what this does is, after 1 second the USRM will consider this background stream reclaimable and it can be potentially torn down if additional bandwidth is needed. Iím pretty sure this is what is going on. He is most likely in a SG that blocks on a frequent basis and because these types of recordings are best effort, and the timer is set low, it interrupts background or speculative recordings.
Jeez, SCSIRAID, again with the acronyms!
MDN? ODN? USRM? SG?
Do you have cable TV experience that makes these common to you, or did you learn them from interacting with TWC engineering?

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 09:23 AM   #2349
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
Jeez, SCSIRAID, again with the acronyms!
MDN? ODN? USRM? SG?
Do you have cable TV experience that makes these common to you, or did you learn them from interacting with TWC engineering?
HAHA.... sorry bout that... That came from the TWC guy... not me... I do a lot of reading and talking about this stuff so I knew what they meant though...

MDN is Mystro Digital Navigator - the sw that runs on the older Cisco 8300HD non cablecard boxes

ODN is OCAP Digital Navigator - the sw that runs on the cablecard based 8300HDC boxes with OCAP

USRM is Universal Session and Resource Manager (USRM) - its part of the Cisco software stack

SG is Service Group... its all the folks on the share the same SDV QAM pool... i.e. who you are competing with to get a channel.

Last edited by SCSIRAID : 07-17-2010 at 01:27 PM.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:34 AM   #2350
galewis
what square pupils?

I have a Series 3 TiVo HD that I purchased back in 2007. It has an upgraded hard drive (Weaknees) also purchased in 2007. My cableco is Charter Communications (Greenville, SC). Everything was working fine until earlier this summer when TiVo stopped recording Suggestions... or only recorded one very rarely. Right now I have 329 deleted programs and only about 20 programs in Suggestions. When I review my thumbs ratings, I can see that there are *many* programs that TiVo could be recording as Suggestions. The most recently recorded Suggestion is more than a month old.

6-8 weeks ago I called TiVo for help and they suggested I do a "clear and delete everything." Didn't fix the problem. It wasn't until today I realized that the difficulty began about the time Charter replaced my two single-stream cable card decoders with a tuning adapter (Motorola MTR700). I haven't read through the mass of posts here on tivocommunity, but I don't think the timing is a coincidence.

And so my next step should be...???

Many thanks.

Last edited by galewis : 07-19-2010 at 09:05 AM.
galewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 08:40 AM   #2351
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by galewis View Post
I have a Series 3 TiVo HD that I purchased back in 2007. It has an upgraded hard (Weaknees) also purchased in 2007. My cableco is Charter Communications (Greenville, SC). Everything was working fine until earlier this summer when TiVo stopped recording Suggestions... or only recorded one very rarely. Right now I have 329 deleted programs and only about 20 programs in Suggestions. When I review my thumbs ratings, I can see that there are *many* programs that TiVo could be recording as Suggestions. The most recently recorded Suggestion is more than a month old.

6-8 weeks ago I called TiVo for help and they suggested I do a "clear and delete everything." Didn't fix the problem. It wasn't until today I realized that the difficulty began about the time Charter replaced my two single-stream cable card decoders with a tuning adapter (Motorola MTR700). I haven't read through the mass of posts here on tivocommunity, but I don't think the timing is a coincidence.

And so my next step should be...???

Many thanks.
S3/THD's sometimes stop recording suggestions when a Tuning Adapter is installed. Both of mine exhibit this behavior. The Premiere doesnt seem to have this issue... mine is recording suggestions like crazy while my S3/THD's just 'sit there'. Hopefully TiVo will release a SW fix to address it.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:28 AM   #2352
galewis
what square pupils?

Quote:
S3/THD's sometimes stop recording suggestions when a Tuning Adapter is installed. Both of mine exhibit this behavior. The Premiere doesnt seem to have this issue... mine is recording suggestions like crazy while my S3/THD's just 'sit there'. Hopefully TiVo will release a SW fix to address it.
Ah... Not exactly a solution, but a helpful answer nonetheless. I've contacted TiVo so they can add me to their list of "troubled" users.

Thanks for your reply.
galewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 09:27 AM   #2353
JimWall

My S3 has no problem recording suggestions in SW Ohio Time Warner with tuning adapter. It may be a problem with your cable company's TA implementation or if back end hardware is different then a TIVO issue.
You could bring it up with your cable company and insist it gets to the group the implemented the TAs so it doesn't get lost.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:09 PM   #2354
sasmps
Dirtdober

Question:

My provider (Surewest Communications) is going SDV in 30 days. It looks like they will provide me with one Tuning Adaptor.. I need 3. Has anyone else been told there is only 1 per houshold? Can you get them on the market directly?
Tivo HD Upgrade to 1 TB
Tivo HD Upgrade to 1 TB
Tivo Premier XL4
sasmps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 01:20 PM   #2355
atr

Tuning Adapter Question

My area just started sdv and I have lost several channels. Recieved a tuning adapter from time warner, hooked up, doesn't work. After several chats with clueless people on the phone they schedule a truck roll. Day of appointment service manager calls to get more info. Explain everything to him. Asks me brand of tuning adapter - Cisco - Tells me they sent me wrong one. Only motorola will work with my cable cards. Dont have any available for my area. Dont know when they will. So I'm SOL. Any suggestions on what to do next??
atr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 01:23 PM   #2356
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by atr View Post
My area just started sdv and I have lost several channels. Recieved a tuning adapter from time warner, hooked up, doesn't work. After several chats with clueless people on the phone they schedule a truck roll. Day of appointment service manager calls to get more info. Explain everything to him. Asks me brand of tuning adapter - Cisco - Tells me they sent me wrong one. Only motorola will work with my cable cards. Dont have any available for my area. Dont know when they will. So I'm SOL. Any suggestions on what to do next??
Nothing much to do until they get the Moto TAs. You could call them and demand a rate reduction until they get you a working TA. Did you lose whole extra-cost tiers? If so, cancel them until they have working TAs and make sure that they know that's why.

"
" -- hookbill
mikeyts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 01:51 PM   #2357
sasmps
Dirtdober

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasmps View Post
Question:

My provider (Surewest Communications) is going SDV in 30 days. It looks like they will provide me with one Tuning Adaptor.. I need 3. Has anyone else been told there is only 1 per houshold? Can you get them on the market directly?
ugg..sorry to hear ATR about the wrong TA. Hard to beleive your provider would be so clueless.

Still asking the forum for any history on getting only 1 TA from their provider, and or if they found a way to get there own.
Tivo HD Upgrade to 1 TB
Tivo HD Upgrade to 1 TB
Tivo Premier XL4
sasmps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:00 AM   #2358
mrro82

Charter here in West Michigan is going to SDV. Got a notice in the mail saturday and have an appointment scheduled for today. The notice said on or after August 25th I would start losing channels. Luckily it didn't happen yet. The back of the notice had the channel lineup listed but didn't specifically say which channels were moving over to SDV. Hope all goes well.
mrro82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:48 AM   #2359
morac
Cat God

Comcast announced that they will be testing SDV in Philadelphia very shortly. It's all ready to go now, they just need to turn it on. It will primarily be used to deliver 3D channels.

If all goes well they will be rolling it out Nationwide in the next year or two.

http://wallstreetpit.com/42427-comca...n-philadelphia

http://www.lightreading.com/document...site=lr_cable&
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 03:57 AM   #2360
kimsmarkin

Switched Digital Video is a new technology that allows cable providers to expand programming for the transmission of some channels to the homes of customers until the required channels. If you have Premiere, Premiere XL TiVo HD XL TiVo HD or Series 3 HD DVR CableCARDs, you see a blank screen channels if the cable service provider makes the transition to SDV.

kimsmarkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:54 AM   #2361
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimsmarkin View Post
Switched Digital Video is a new technology that allows cable providers to expand programming for the transmission of some channels to the homes of customers until the required channels. If you have Premiere, Premiere XL TiVo HD XL TiVo HD or Series 3 HD DVR CableCARDs, you see a blank screen channels if the cable service provider makes the transition to SDV.
Have you noticed that you're posting in the SDV FAQ thread, where we've been discussing the technology and its effect on TiVo for the past three years?

Try to read a bit of a thread before posting. The first posts of threads whose name end in FAQ generally have a large amount of information about the topic.

"
" -- hookbill
Old 04-23-2011, 09:02 PM   #2362
au_en_bear

Charter Tivo/Cable Box question

I have been through several months of pain trying to get my Tivo HD with SA tuning adapter working properly. I have finally managed to get to a point where all but two channels work. The two that do not work show the "this channel not available...please press select to try and tune again" message. I have had a contractor installer here about 4 times for just those two channels and still no luck. They have changed the cable card twice and the tuning adapter once. The interesting part is that I have a SA cable set top box sitting beside my tivo that I use when I just want to channel surf. The two "bad" channels work fine on the SA set top box. Does anyone have any ideas of what magic words I could use to get the idiots that the tech calls at the dispatch office to send the right hit or message or EMM or whatever to get the two "bad" channels to be tuned by the tivo/ta?

Thanks,

auenbear
au_en_bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 12:42 PM   #2363
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

How about, "I guess I'll have to switch to AT&T--thanks for trying. Could you connect this call to the right department for disconnection, please?" .

"
" -- hookbill
Old 04-24-2011, 02:54 PM   #2364
au_en_bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyts View Post
How about, "I guess I'll have to switch to AT&T--thanks for trying. Could you connect this call to the right department for disconnection, please?" .
Believe me, I have thought about it. If AT&T U-verse worked with Tivo I would be gone in about 6 nanoseconds.
Old 04-24-2011, 04:06 PM   #2365
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

I didn't say that it would be a threat that you'd follow through on...

"
" -- hookbill
Old 04-24-2011, 04:22 PM   #2366
Stuxnet
Alien Infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by au_en_bear View Post
I have been through several months of pain trying to get my Tivo HD with SA tuning adapter working properly. I have finally managed to get to a point where all but two channels work. The two that do not work show the "this channel not available...please press select to try and tune again" message. I have had a contractor installer here about 4 times for just those two channels and still no luck. They have changed the cable card twice and the tuning adapter once. The interesting part is that I have a SA cable set top box sitting beside my tivo that I use when I just want to channel surf. The two "bad" channels work fine on the SA set top box. Does anyone have any ideas of what magic words I could use to get the idiots that the tech calls at the dispatch office to send the right hit or message or EMM or whatever to get the two "bad" channels to be tuned by the tivo/ta?

Thanks,

auenbear
When I lost an SDV channel I called in and they "hit" my cable card (reauthorized). Within 5 minutes the channel returned. YMMV.
Stuxnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 04:25 PM   #2367
JimWall

Quote:
Originally Posted by au_en_bear View Post
I have been through several months of pain trying to get my Tivo HD with SA tuning adapter working properly. I have finally managed to get to a point where all but two channels work. The two that do not work show the "this channel not available...please press select ......
auenbear
Most likely they not entered the billing information properly. This is part of the Hit they do to the tuning adapter. There is the remote chance the signal is too weak for TIVO but I would think the service guy would have checked the two channels signal strength.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:48 PM   #2368
au_en_bear

I have had the problem with the missing two channels for about 4 weeks. This morning they both just appeared. Spooky....you post a problem and the Tuning Adapter Fairy just stops by during the night and makes things right.

Thanks for the reply's!!!
Old 10-06-2011, 01:57 PM   #2369
kevin120

A record for SDV service group size number of switched QAMs?

TWC in my area just switched about 140 or so SD channels to SDV and this not including the 106 we already had on SDV. In doing so they added 8 new SDV QAMs for a total of 24 SDV QAMs total in my service group

I guess being on a 860MHz system has its benefits

we now have SDV on these frequencies:
687MHz
693MHz
699MHz
705MHz
711MHz
717MHz
723MHz
729MHz
735MHz
741MHz
747MHz
753MHz
759MHz
765MHz
771MHz
777MHz
819MHz
825MHz
831MHz
837MHz
843MHz
849MHz
855MHz
861MHz

this on a motorola system that has the MTR700s.
kevin120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 06:38 PM   #2370
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin120 View Post
TWC in my area just switched about 140 or so SD channels to SDV and this not including the 106 we already had on SDV. In doing so they added 8 new SDV QAMs for a total of 24 SDV QAMs total in my service group

I guess being on a 860MHz system has its benefits

we now have SDV on these frequencies:
687MHz
693MHz
699MHz
705MHz
711MHz
717MHz
723MHz
729MHz
735MHz
741MHz
747MHz
753MHz
759MHz
765MHz
771MHz
777MHz
819MHz
825MHz
831MHz
837MHz
843MHz
849MHz
855MHz
861MHz

this on a motorola system that has the MTR700s.
And your area is?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote