TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2010, 05:07 PM   #2431
AudioNutz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 289
Even on the Mac, kmttg makes calls to several "Command Line" tools. These are not always friendly when it comes to punctuation. If you read back in this thread far enough, I'm sure you'll find the part where this issue was discussed.
__________________
I am the Stig
AudioNutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 06:15 AM   #2432
nickhaas33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 38
This may have been asked before, in case it has, I apologize.
What is the trick in FFMPEG to force voice synchronization with the movie.
I inevitably end up with the voice about a second out of synch by the end of encoding.
I use the following command line that works great for the low volume problem I had on my Archos player, but the voice does get out of synch (which I thought -async 1 prevented). It is still watchable, but irritating.

FFMPEG -y -i INPUT -threads CPU_CORES -vcodec mpeg4 -maxrate 2000k -qmin 3 -qmax 5 -bufsize 5096k -g 300 -acodec libmp3lame -ac 2 -ab 128k -ar 48000 -vol 1280 -s 720x480 -r 29.97 -b 1500k -async 1 -f mp4 OUTPUT

Thanks
Update:
I saw this on a Linux site, so maybe I do need another value:
-async 1 is a special case where only the start of the audio stream is corrected without any later correction.

Does anyone know a fool-proof number for async?
nickhaas33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 06:18 AM   #2433
epstewart
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioNutz View Post
Even on the Mac, kmttg makes calls to several "Command Line" tools. These are not always friendly when it comes to punctuation. If you read back in this thread far enough, I'm sure you'll find the part where this issue was discussed.
OK, I'll look for those past posts. I did do a search in the thread on "punctuation" but got no results.

But I also have to note that there is really no problem at all on the Mac command line with file names containing punctuation. Just enclose the whole, fully qualified file name in double-quote characters. Then, the only restrictions become those that the Mac OS itself imposes, e.g., '/' characters are not allowed in file names. Neither are ':' characters in the Finder — as the two mean the same thing, with '/' in the command line and ':' in Finder both representing the separator between directory levels or between the directory and the filename proper.

I have to believe that kmttg already puts double quotes around filenames, since they're the easiest way to allow spaces to appear in a filename. So I imagine kmttg is simply filtering out such characters as apostrophe and question mark to cater to OS's that don't permit them. So why not make that filtering process configurable? On a Mac, the user could optionally choose to bypass it. Users on other OS's could leave it alone. No harm, no foul ...
__________________
Eric Stewart
Catonsville, MD
epstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:50 AM   #2434
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Moline, IL
Posts: 4,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by epstewart View Post
...But I also have to note that there is really no problem at all on the Mac command line with file names containing punctuation. Just enclose the whole, fully qualified file name in double-quote characters. Then, the only restrictions become those that the Mac OS itself imposes, e.g., '/' characters are not allowed in file names. Neither are ':' characters in the Finder — as the two mean the same thing, with '/' in the command line and ':' in Finder both representing the separator between directory levels or between the directory and the filename proper...
So on a Mac, you can have a path that looks like this?:
C\Path\To\Some\Folder\File.extension

and/or this?:
C:Path:To:Some:Folder:File.extension

I'm sure my Mac ignorance is blatantly showing...
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
orangeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 03:24 PM   #2435
epstewart
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeboy View Post
So on a Mac, you can have a path that looks like this?:
C\Path\To\Some\Folder\File.extension

and/or this?:
C:Path:To:Some:Folder:File.extension

I'm sure my Mac ignorance is blatantly showing...
/Path/To/Some/Folder/File.extension

is valid on the Mac. The separators are forward slashes, not backward slashes. The first '/', starting from the left, stands for the root directory, as understood by Unix.

There are no drive letters, either. You specify which hard-drive volume to use with something like:

"/Volumes/New 2TB Drive/TiVo Transfers/Just Transferred/Mr. Hollands Opus (06_23_2010).TiVo"

Instead of a drive letter, the whole thing starts with /Volumes/New 2TB Drive/... .

(Notice that the name of the movie has been changed by kmttg to "Mr. Hollands Opus," with no apostrophe. That's what I'm basically objecting to.)

The syntax containing ':' characters is not actually used on the command line, but it is not allowed by the Finder, which is sort of the Mac's equivalent to the whole gamut of Windows windows that show the contents of directories.

Get it? The Finder is part of the Mac OS X operating software, but it is not itself Unix. Mac OS X (and Finder) sit atop Unix, which is what you are dealing with in the command line itself.

So you never see any syntax with ':' characters, anywhere. But Finder internally turns Unix '/' characters into ':', so it won't let you embed ':' in visible filenames.

It sounds complex, but as long as kmttg were to put the filenames all in double-quotes and avoid internal double quotes, '/' characters, and ':' characters, fully qualified Mac filenames would come out fine.
__________________
Eric Stewart
Catonsville, MD
epstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 05:06 PM   #2436
AudioNutz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 289
I'll let Kevin chime in here. I think the apostrophe's were getting replaced with some other character automagically during the download process, because of some issue with curl. The remaining commands were attempting to execute with the correct name with the apostrophe, but since the name was truncated by curl... It couldn't find the file to perform the work on.
__________________
I am the Stig
AudioNutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 08:24 PM   #2437
epstewart
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioNutz View Post
I'll let Kevin chime in here. I think the apostrophe's were getting replaced with some other character automagically during the download process, because of some issue with curl. The remaining commands were attempting to execute with the correct name with the apostrophe, but since the name was truncated by curl... It couldn't find the file to perform the work on.
OK, thanks, I've found the post that talks about it, #487 in this thread. (Is Kevin moyekj, BTW?)

So, is curl really the critter responsible for dropping the apostrophes? (And, I assume, other characters such as question marks ... ) I ask because I recently downloaded a program called

Closer to Truth - Why Is Consciousness Baffling?

that has a question mark. I saw in kmttg's messages:

Code:
Closer to Truth - Why Is Consciousness Baffling?
Recorded Mon 06/21/2010 08:30 AM on 268=WMPTDT2, Duration = 30 mins
Understanding inner awareness. 
OVERWRITING EXISTING FILE: /Volumes/Hitachi 2TB Drive/Downloads/Closer to Truth - Why Is Consciousness Baffling (06_21_2010).mpg.txt

 ...

>> CREATING /Volumes/Hitachi 2TB Drive/Downloads/Closer to Truth - Why Is Consciousness Baffling (06_21_2010).mpg.txt ...
/usr/bin/curl --anyauth --globoff --user tivo:MAK --insecure --cookie-jar /tmp/cookie2199505577978024301.tmp --url https://10.0.1.7:443/TiVoVideoDetails?id=1651715 --output /tmp/meta8375990166995294744.tmp 
metadata job completed: 00:00:01
---DONE--- job=metadata output=/Volumes/Hitachi 2TB Drive/Downloads/Closer to Truth - Why Is Consciousness Baffling (06_21_2010).mpg.txt

 ...

>> DOWNLOADING /Volumes/Hitachi 2TB Drive/Downloads/Closer to Truth - Why Is Consciousness Baffling (06_21_2010).TiVo ...
/usr/bin/curl --anyauth --globoff --user tivo:MAK --insecure --cookie-jar /tmp/cookie8252577655988769831.tmp --url http://10.0.1.7:80/download/Closer%20to%20Truth.TiVo?Container=%2FNowPlaying&id=1651715 --output "/Volumes/Hitachi 2TB Drive/Downloads/Closer to Truth - Why Is Consciousness Baffling (06_21_2010).TiVo"
That OVERWRITING EXISTING FILE message suggests to me that the '?' was dropped before curl was called!

If the same logic applies to apostrophes, then are we sure the apostrophes disappear only at the time curl is called?

Of course, it may be the case that the punctuation characters have to be made by kmttg to vanish at (or prior to) the curl call simply to get curl to work ... but, if so, is there any reason they can't (optionally, at user discretion) be stuck back into the filename by kmttg after curl has done its duty and the downloaded TiVo file is sitting there on the hard drive? I.e., can't kmttg optionally rename the TiVo file, once it's been downloaded, and use the revised name that contains all the original punctuation characters in subsequent jobs such as decrypt.

I note also that the apostrophe in "Mr. Holland's Opus" and the question mark in "Why Is Consciousness Baffling?" are preserved in the metadata files created by kmttg.

Of course, a lot of what I'm saying is guesswork on my part, and I don't really have any idea how easy or hard it would be to give Mac users of kmttg a "preserve punctuation" option implemented via file-renaming logic. In view of the fact that kmttg is multi-platform software, my idea might adversely impact users of other platforms. It might just be too hard to implement my idea without going to a lot of trouble to re-code affected areas within kmttg, so as to enable this "preserve punctuation" option that would cater to only a small subset of users anyway.

Anyway, that's my two cents ...
__________________
Eric Stewart
Catonsville, MD
epstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 02:08 AM   #2438
moyekj
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mission Viejo, CA
Posts: 9,058
epstewart, special characters in file names for Unix/Mac systems is not as trivial as you may think to support, especially in the context of making system calls via Java. kmttg basically uses Runtime.getRuntime().exec(String []) to execute system calls and characters such as single or double quotes, slashes, backslashes and a few others in that context do cause issues. Probably with quite a bit more work and some OS-specific considerations the allowed character list per OS could be expanded, but it's really a can of worms I don't feel like opening. The list of characters that are filtered out now were mostly born out of past issue reports.

If you feel strongly about it then source code is available to make whatever changes you may want to try. The place to start looking would be removeSpecialChars method in main/tivoFileName.java. This is what filters out characters in file names before any task in kmttg is called (so yes the characters are stripped out before calling curl, etc).
__________________
Roamio Pro, Elite, Premiere
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 03:41 AM   #2439
epstewart
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
epstewart, special characters in file names for Unix/Mac systems is not as trivial as you may think to support, especially in the context of making system calls via Java. kmttg basically uses Runtime.getRuntime().exec(String []) to execute system calls and characters such as single or double quotes, slashes, backslashes and a few others in that context do cause issues. Probably with quite a bit more work and some OS-specific considerations the allowed character list per OS could be expanded, but it's really a can of worms I don't feel like opening. The list of characters that are filtered out now were mostly born out of past issue reports.

If you feel strongly about it then source code is available to make whatever changes you may want to try. The place to start looking would be removeSpecialChars method in main/tivoFileName.java. This is what filters out characters in file names before any task in kmttg is called (so yes the characters are stripped out before calling curl, etc).
Thanks for a very helpful reply. I gather, then, that the difficulty in making system calls via Java using strings with pesky special characters in them is the root cause for the need to suppress those characters in output filename literals.

I have no knowledge of writing Java code, so I am totally naive here. Still, I am wondering if there is a way to "escape" special characters such as ? and ' in the literals in question. As you may know, in Unix the backslash (\) is generally used to designate that the following character is to be taken literally, as part of the string itself. So \" allows a double quote to be included in a string that is delimited by " characters, for example. Likewise, backslash can be included via \\. Using such escape sequences, any character can be included in any literal string.

I would think there must be a way to do the same kind of thing for strings used in Java system calls, no?
__________________
Eric Stewart
Catonsville, MD
epstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 03:45 AM   #2440
Icarus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Upcountry Maui, Hawaii
Posts: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by epstewart View Post

As you may know, in Unix the backslash (\) is generally used to designate that the following character is to be taken literally, as part of the string itself. So \" allows a double quote to be included in a string that is delimited by " characters, for example. Likewise, backslash can be included via \\. Using such escape sequences, any character can be included in any literal string.
It's not unix, it's the shell that does that.

When I run bash or tcsh (or whatever your favorite shell is) on my windows system (under cygwin, for example) I can do the same thing when I type those characters, but it's the shell that processes them. They don't get passed into library calls or system calls.

-David
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 04:46 AM   #2441
moyekj
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mission Viejo, CA
Posts: 9,058
Yes, it's a very important point by Icarus - system call from Java does not invoke a shell. You can choose to invoke the shell as part of your system call but that just adds another layer of complication. So the usual shell escape parameters do not necessarily apply.
__________________
Roamio Pro, Elite, Premiere
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 12:19 PM   #2442
GregComeLately
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: western suburbia of Chicago
Posts: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeboy View Post

Awesome instructions for setting up pyTivo here: "Single Page of Install Instructions".
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Thanks. I needed a good instruction manual for the pyTiVo installation. I had tried before to install it but had some issues. These instructions should allow me to get it installed and working properly. Thanks.
I get stuck just a couple steps in. When attempting to install the wmcbrine-2009.03.19-RC1 guide/instructional/etc., it won't continue because it brings up a window, "Checking for Python". It's looking for Python 2.4 or higher, but only 2.4, 2.5 or 2.6. Because Python is now up to 2.7, should I just shuck this old pyTivo installation guide and install pyTivo on my own, or, is there some way to work around this, since the wmcbrine guide hasn't been updated to accept 2.7?
GregComeLately is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 03:11 PM   #2443
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless
 
wmcbrine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 9,018
Please don't call it "the wmcbrine guide"... I'm not responsible for the Windows installer, and my recommendation is that you don't use it at all. You don't need an installer for pyTivo. If you want to run it as a service (which is also not necessary, unlike with TiVo Desktop, although it's available as an option), then follow these instructions (note: also not written by me).
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 09:42 PM   #2444
GregComeLately
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: western suburbia of Chicago
Posts: 113
Sorry, saw that you had stated something similar in another thread, re: the guide.

Unfortunately, I cannot seem to make any real headway with any of the instructional information provided by yourself and others relating to pyTivo installations. Three hours and I've barely made any progress. This stuff is absolutely not for the faint of heart. I'm ready to scream & throw things.

ok ok, I've already screamed & thrown things.
GregComeLately is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 07:15 PM   #2445
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless
 
wmcbrine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 9,018
I wish I could understand what it is that people find difficult about it. I don't mean that as a put down; I'm being sincere. I just don't get it. The first time I installed pyTivo took under five minutes. I didn't set it up as a service, though. (I still haven't.) If I understood the problem, maybe I could fix it. But I don't.

Galleon, on the other hand, was a nightmare to set up, for me.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 06:35 AM   #2446
zabolots
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: NW Chicago Suburbs
Posts: 71
Encoding profile for the Motorola Droid

Here's what I've been playing around with for the Motorola Droid. I must admit that thus far I've only run the ffmpeg commands manually to test this and haven't actually tried the encoding from within kmttg but I don't see any reason that it wouldn't work.

Hopefully somebody will find this useful. It's about time I've been able to contribute something back to the community that I've taken so much from!

Scott

p.s. Make sure you rename/save the file without the .txt extension which was required by the forum software
Attached Files
File Type: txt ff_droid.enc.txt (585 Bytes, 15 views)
zabolots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 01:12 AM   #2447
Mikeyis4dcats
Registered User
 
Mikeyis4dcats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 2,974
just installed kmttg for the first time. I have a 1TB drive in my TivoHD, but kmttg is only reporting it as 520gb. Any idea as to why? Should I just manually set the drive capacity to 1000GB?
Mikeyis4dcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 05:20 AM   #2448
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay
 
ThAbtO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 4,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyis4dcats View Post
just installed kmttg for the first time. I have a 1TB drive in my TivoHD, but kmttg is only reporting it as 520gb. Any idea as to why? Should I just manually set the drive capacity to 1000GB?
It is reporting the current space used, not the entire drive. You can set it to 1000 but doubt it would get so high, I would probably say in the 950ish gB because Tivo software (and other stuff) is also on the drive.
__________________
Series 2 (PLS, sold)
TiVo HD 1TB (157 HD Hrs, PLS, "652")
Roamio! Oh, wait, Its Juliet!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 11:02 AM   #2449
Mikeyis4dcats
Registered User
 
Mikeyis4dcats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 2,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
It is reporting the current space used, not the entire drive. You can set it to 1000 but doubt it would get so high, I would probably say in the 950ish gB because Tivo software (and other stuff) is also on the drive.
good point. thanks!
Mikeyis4dcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 02:02 AM   #2450
spocko
TiVo HD
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyis4dcats View Post
just installed kmttg for the first time. I have a 1TB drive in my TivoHD, but kmttg is only reporting it as 520gb. Any idea as to why? Should I just manually set the drive capacity to 1000GB?
I also have a Tivo HD with 1TB WD drive upgrade, and the actual drive capacity in kmttg is 915. There are 2 reasons why this is lower than the 1000 that you expected. First, as has been mentioned already, the Tivo sofware takes some space on the drive. The other more significant reason is a difference in terminology between how the drive manufacturers report size (MB) versus how kmttg reports the size (MiB).

Some relevant links:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mebibyte
http://www.twotechies.net/?p=154
spocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 02:48 PM   #2451
omahajs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1
Just installed this program and tried it out on a small hd cartoon my kid likes to watch. I left program defaults and decrypted the movie fine - i get an mpg file. When I try and play the mpg windows media player opens and shows the video fine, but the audio is just a loud static noise. Any ideas on what I am missing here?

Windows 7 32-bit.

Thanks for any help and nice program.
omahajs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 04:09 PM   #2452
wesbc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 80
Not sure about your issue as I'm trying to do the same thing and don't have issue with decrypting to mpg. Trying to encode the movie to both a zune 30gb and iphone 3g.

I have a question on how to enable multi core as I only see one cpu usage when I encode. I have win 7 64bit with an amd 1055t 6-core cpu. I verify that under config that encoding cpu cores are set to 6 and I updated active job limit to 6 (not sure about this one). But during encoding I only see once cpu that is busy. Any help is appreciated.
wesbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 04:18 PM   #2453
moyekj
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mission Viejo, CA
Posts: 9,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by omahajs View Post
Just installed this program and tried it out on a small hd cartoon my kid likes to watch. I left program defaults and decrypted the movie fine - i get an mpg file. When I try and play the mpg windows media player opens and shows the video fine, but the audio is just a loud static noise. Any ideas on what I am missing here?

Windows 7 32-bit.

Thanks for any help and nice program.
It's likely a codec issue. If you try Videolan VLC for playback and have no problems with playback using that then it's a codec issue and you will need to install a Windows codec pack that properly supports AC3 decoding. (VLC uses its own codecs and doesn't depend on installed Windows codecs which is why it's a good tool for debugging codec issues).
__________________
Roamio Pro, Elite, Premiere
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 04:26 PM   #2454
moyekj
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mission Viejo, CA
Posts: 9,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesbc View Post
I have a question on how to enable multi core as I only see one cpu usage when I encode. I have win 7 64bit with an amd 1055t 6-core cpu. I verify that under config that encoding cpu cores are set to 6 and I updated active job limit to 6 (not sure about this one). But during encoding I only see once cpu that is busy. Any help is appreciated.
Which profiles are you using specifically? ff_zune for example uses WMV video and ffmpeg doesn't support multi-threading for encoding using that codec. ff_zune_hd profile on other hand uses mpeg4 video codec which does support multi-threading. Other profiles such as ff_iphone should also use multi-threading. Basically if using an ffmpeg profile and you see "-threads 6" as part of the encode command listed in the kmttg message window then you know threads are enabled. As to how efficiently ffmpeg works in multi-thread mode I haven't really benchmarked...
__________________
Roamio Pro, Elite, Premiere
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 04:36 PM   #2455
wesbc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Which profiles are you using specifically? ff_zune for example uses WMV video and ffmpeg doesn't support multi-threading for encoding using that codec. ff_zune_hd profile on other hand uses mpeg4 video codec which does support multi-threading. Other profiles such as ff_iphone should also use multi-threading. Basically if using an ffmpeg profile and you see "-threads 6" as part of the encode command listed in the kmttg message window then you know threads are enabled. As to how efficiently ffmpeg works in multi-thread mode I haven't really benchmarked...
Yes, I was using ff_zune. I'm now trying ff_zune_mp4 and I see the "-threads 6" but under task manager I still only seeing one cpu being busy at 90%+ while the other 5 is pretty much idle. A 1hr 15min movie is taking approx 40min to encode. I'd like to try handbrake but don't see a zune profile for that.
wesbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 04:53 PM   #2456
moyekj
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mission Viejo, CA
Posts: 9,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesbc View Post
Yes, I was using ff_zune. I'm now trying ff_zune_mp4 and I see the "-threads 6" but under task manager I still only seeing one cpu being busy at 90%+ while the other 5 is pretty much idle. A 1hr 15min movie is taking approx 40min to encode. I'd like to try handbrake but don't see a zune profile for that.
Is the source video HD or SD? I think threads work better for more advanced codecs such as H.264. So for example for ff_iphone profile which uses H.264 video codec you should notice quite a significant difference between threads=1 vs threads=2. My guess is that beyond 2 threads there is probably not going to be much/any difference. In general I find ffmpeg MUCH faster than handbrake for encoding. I just tried a short encode using ff_zune_mp4 using 1 thread vs 2 and didn't see much difference, however same clip using ff_iphone profile completed in 2/3 of the time using threads=2 compared to threads=1. Sort of makes sense since H.264 is a lot more CPU intensive compared to mpeg4 video codec, but 2 threads doesn't give you 2x speedup and probably more than 2 threads doesn't help.
__________________
Roamio Pro, Elite, Premiere
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 05:00 PM   #2457
wesbc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Is the source video HD or SD? I think threads work better for more advanced codecs such as H.264. So for example for ff_iphone profile which uses H.264 video codec you should notice quite a significant difference between threads=1 vs threads=2. My guess is that beyond 2 threads there is probably not going to be much/any difference. In general I find ffmpeg MUCH faster than handbrake for encoding. I just tried a short encode using ff_zune_mp4 using 1 thread vs 2 and didn't see much difference, however same clip using ff_iphone profile completed in 2/3 of the time using threads=2 compared to threads=1. Sort of makes sense since H.264 is a lot more CPU intensive compared to mpeg4 video codec, but 2 threads doesn't give you 2x speedup and probably more than 2 threads doesn't help.
Thanks for the input. Source video is HD. Right now I'm trying a hb_iphone profile and do see the 6 cpu usage though it's not using them 100%, just ranges from 25% - 75% usage each. Gonna be playing around with the profiles to see what works best for each device.

Another somewhat unrelated question, is I had encoded once before and I think it was with the hb_iphone profile, but the encoded video would not sync with iphone, not until itunes re-encode it again and made my 500mb file to 1gb. Anyone know why that's the case. The file played on itunes ok, but just refuse to sync to iphone stating something about unsupported format.
wesbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 05:05 PM   #2458
moyekj
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mission Viejo, CA
Posts: 9,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesbc View Post
Thanks for the input. Source video is HD. Right now I'm trying a hb_iphone profile and do see the 6 cpu usage though it's not using them 100%, just ranges from 25% - 75% usage each. Gonna be playing around with the profiles to see what works best for each device.

Another somewhat unrelated question, is I had encoded once before and I think it was with the hb_iphone profile, but the encoded video would not sync with iphone, not until itunes re-encode it again and made my 500mb file to 1gb. Anyone know why that's the case. The file played on itunes ok, but just refuse to sync to iphone stating something about unsupported format.
Prior to the latest kmttg I had updated handbrake executable but not the HB profiles, so there was an issue with them - the encode would go through but the resulting video wouldn't sync natively from iTunes. If you use the latest kmttg release and encoding profiles the HB iphone profile should work and sync properly. I never had an ipod/iphone to test with until a couple of months ago (my daughter got an ipod touch) which is when I discovered and corrected the issue...
__________________
Roamio Pro, Elite, Premiere
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 05:09 PM   #2459
wesbc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Prior to the latest kmttg I had updated handbrake executable but not the HB profiles, so there was an issue with them - the encode would go through but the resulting video wouldn't sync natively from iTunes. If you use the latest kmttg release and encoding profiles the HB iphone profile should work and sync properly. I never had an ipod/iphone to test with until a couple of months ago (my daughter got an ipod touch) which is when I discovered the issue...
Thanks! I'll try the encode I just did and see how it sync up.

My ff_zune_mp4 just completed, the video looks great, but no audio. I've been encoding the same video and so far haven't had issue with the ff_zune or the hb_iphone. Not sure if it's a codec issue like you said above, will have to load up VLC player, but did try to play it on 2 different pc.

Update: VLC player has audio... so a codec issue on my pc. Though I use CCCP codec pack and they have been pretty complete.

For ff_zune_mp4, I notice zune will re-encode the video before it syncs. I'm trying to get better quality as ff_zune looked a little lacking. Anyway to encode it so it doesn't have to re-encode on the zune?

Last edited by wesbc : 07-20-2010 at 06:07 PM.
wesbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 06:28 PM   #2460
moyekj
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mission Viejo, CA
Posts: 9,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesbc View Post
For ff_zune_mp4, I notice zune will re-encode the video before it syncs. I'm trying to get better quality as ff_zune looked a little lacking. Anyway to encode it so it doesn't have to re-encode on the zune?
Don't have a zune to test with. Perhaps make a copy of ff_zune.enc to say ff_zune_custom.enc and increase the video bit rate. The relevant parameter to change is -b 640000. I don't know what the zune upper bit rate limits are. (Obviously don't forget to refresh encoding profiles in kmttg and select ff_zune_custom to encode). I would suggest using a very short source clip for testing with so you don't have to wait around a long time for each test encode to complete.
__________________
Roamio Pro, Elite, Premiere
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVo® is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:30 AM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |