TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-28-2009, 10:05 AM   #1
morac
Cat God

Exclamation Vuze officially supports TiVo

Vuze has announced support for TiVo. For those of you not familiar with Vuze, it is a BitTorrent client that includes a Video Store and multimedia device support

Based on their information page it looks like they simply implemented their own comeback server and that transfers must be initiated from the TiVo.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 10:10 AM   #2
Tsiehta

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
Vuze has announced support for TiVo. For those of you not familiar with Vuze, it is a BitTorrent client that includes a Video Store and multimedia device support

Based on their information page it looks like they simply implemented their own comeback server and that transfers must be initiated from the TiVo.
I've been using their beta Tivo utility for a while. It's pretty slick.
Tsiehta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 10:12 AM   #3
lew

The way I read it you'll drag the video file into your tivo recordings directory. The Vuze program will automatically convert the file to a compatable format as it copies it.

I don't think this is any better then py, but it is fewer steps.
lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 01:02 PM   #4
Ronio
OTA HD User

Thanks, hadn't heard of vuze before today.

So are we thinking it converts and sends the whole file like PyTivo, or does it stream it like SteamBaby?
Ronio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 01:11 PM   #5
reneg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronio View Post
Thanks, hadn't heard of vuze before today.

So are we thinking it converts and sends the whole file like PyTivo, or does it stream it like SteamBaby?
I'd say like PyTivo. From Vuze info:
On Tivo, the video will appear under Vuze in "Now Playing." Simply select the video, select "Transfer this recording," and "Start playing."
reneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 01:59 PM   #6
Kablemodem
Get the ketchup.

Will it work if the torrent is a .rar file?
Kablemodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 02:02 PM   #7
lew

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneg View Post
I'd say like PyTivo. From Vuze info:
On Tivo, the video will appear under Vuze in "Now Playing." Simply select the video, select "Transfer this recording," and "Start playing."
Not the same PyTivo does the conversion while the program is transferring. Vuze will have you drag the file into your tivo recordings folder. The program will be converted as it's being copied into the folder. No further conversion will be necessary when tivo initiates the transfer request.
lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 03:15 PM   #8
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

I just tried it, and I like it!
orangeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 09:38 PM   #9
innocentfreak

I never messed with Vuze devices so how do you set it up? It found my Tivos but anytime I try to copy a file so Vuze lists it, it says no profiles for Tivo.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 10:36 PM   #10
reneg

Quote:
Originally Posted by lew View Post
Not the same PyTivo does the conversion while the program is transferring. Vuze will have you drag the file into your tivo recordings folder. The program will be converted as it's being copied into the folder. No further conversion will be necessary when tivo initiates the transfer request.
The interface from the client to the Tivo is like PyTivo and not Streambaby. The converted file is pulled to the Tivo and not streamed. I tried it out on a movie trailer and Vuze converted it to .vob file. You can still stream Vuze downloaded files by configuring your vuze\transcodes\tivo directory in Streambaby.
reneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 11:29 PM   #11
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
I never messed with Vuze devices so how do you set it up? It found my Tivos but anytime I try to copy a file so Vuze lists it, it says no profiles for Tivo.
It found my 2 tivos, and I can only send to my Series 3, while my Series 2 says "no profiles". To send to the S3, I right click the file in: My Library > Unwatched, and select: Transcode for Device > Series 3 (renamed from just plain "Tivo") > Tivo HD.

HTH
Old 08-28-2009, 11:32 PM   #12
innocentfreak

Yeah it does somewhat. I was just trying to drag and drop files into Vuze versus using things from My Library since that is currently empty.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 12:03 AM   #13
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
Yeah it does somewhat. I was just trying to drag and drop files into Vuze versus using things from My Library since that is currently empty.
It looks like you can add your files by creating a "classic-share" from File. I just started poking around with some avi's, and "classic-shared folder contents recursive" the root directory for the TV series I downloaded a few months back. It now seems that I'm now torrenting those files, and transcoding 25 episodes of that series to work with my S3. Obviously I need to RTFM to better understand what I'm doing.
Old 08-29-2009, 10:26 AM   #14
mchief
Morey

Works pretty good. The major problem, of course, is bit-torrent. I found a Dexter Season 3 at 6.4GB and Vuze told me 300 days for the download. Ouch!

I did download a few parts separately and it took an hour or so for each 500MB piece.

With one download, it came in .rar and had to be run with WinRAR and combined. Worked fine creating a .avi from the .rar.

Does have potential. Have not spent any time yet looking at quality. Will do that this weekend.
Old 08-31-2009, 06:55 PM   #15
skydive05

Vuze not in play list

VUZE is great I have been using it for awhile now to stream to my XBOX360 .... it works AWESOME.
I just found out yesterday that they have added support for TIVO and I am thrilled. My problem is that VUZE sees my TIVOs and allows me to convert the files and it looks like they are vob files, but the VUZE does not show up in either of the TIVOs.
They are both TIVO HDs. Then I stumbled onto this POST and thought I would try getting Streambaby working. Which I did after playing around with PATH statements until I got it to use Java 1.6 instead of 1.5 as it was erroring out.

So now Streambaby is running, but was not sure if I needed anything else with that running, or if the IP to configure was the IP of my PC?

Anyways Streambaby is not showing up in the TIVO either. I would love to be able to stream through the TIVO just like my XBOX or atleast download through VUZE. I tried restarting the TIVOs to see if they needed a reboot, but NO GO.

Does Streambaby or VUZE need Tivotogo installed on the same PC or any other requirement in order to show up on the TIVO?
skydive05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 07:50 PM   #16
morac
Cat God

Streambaby and VUZE use different protocols. Streambaby is a HME application and shows up in the Music, Photos, etc menu. VUZE is a ToGo application and shows up in the Now Playing List (at the bottom).

Neither application needs TiVo Desktop or anything else installed. If you are having problems seeing VUZE and Streambaby, you might want to make sure your TiVo boxes are on the same local network as your PC.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:37 PM   #17
mchief
Morey

I'm seeing Vuze in the NPL and the programs are there. However, transfers quit after about 15 minutes. With DT Plus no problem. Still working on that problem.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:00 AM   #18
ryanperry
Whimpy

My TiVo not showing up under Vuze Devices

I have a Series3 that isn't automatically showing up under vuze devices on my Mac OSX 10.5 (Intel). TiVo desktop and PyTiVo work just fine. There is no info or support on this error case. Anyone else run into this and have a workaround?

Thanks,
ryanperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 03:20 AM   #19
BungeeCork

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanperry View Post
I have a Series3 that isn't automatically showing up under vuze devices ... TiVo desktop and PyTiVo work just fine
Sorry, can't help re the Mac, but just wanted to add that Vuze/Tivo works fine for me on Windows 7 RTM 32bit.
BungeeCork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 09:14 AM   #20
Hcour

Very cool. I just got my Tivo a couple of days ago. I was going to buy Desktop Plus or configure pyTivo for getting files from my computer to my Tivo but this seems about as simple as it gets. I already use uTorrent so I don't need the torrent app, but it works great for transcoding and transferring files. Thanks for the heads-up.
Hcour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 03:47 PM   #21
BryGuy

Does not work for Series 2

The Vuze site states that this capability only works for Series 3 TiVos. I did get it to work for one of my Series 2 Tivo for a short time when Vuze had incorrectly discovered the TiVo as Series 3. The converstion (handled by Vuze) went quickly, and the transfer to the TiVo was faster than HMO between my TiVos (both wired).

I love it. Now if they would only support Series 2!
Old 09-30-2009, 06:21 PM   #22
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryGuy View Post
The Vuze site states that this capability only works for Series 3 TiVos. I did get it to work for one of my Series 2 Tivo for a short time when Vuze had incorrectly discovered the TiVo as Series 3. The converstion (handled by Vuze) went quickly, and the transfer to the TiVo was faster than HMO between my TiVos (both wired).

I love it. Now if they would only support Series 2!
Try this: http://tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/sho...86#post7505786
Old 11-04-2009, 01:04 AM   #23
gouldtv

Angry Vuze and Tivo Desktop are both conflicted over the share folder

Since installing the new Vuze client, my Tivo Desktop Control Panel on my Mac no longer lets me click "Start" to invoke the Tivo Desktop file-sharing to my Tivo. The minute I hit Start, it starts for 1/2 second, then shuts down and the Start button is visible again. Anyone else having this problem? I'm on Snow Leopard.

I wanted to give Vuze a spin, and I encoded a few video files, but the audio was messed up in all of them. So I want to go back to the way I used to work - - - where I download with Vuze, run the file through VisualHub, and let Tivo Desktop share the file to the Tivos in my home. Now I broke something, and Vuze sharing is the only thing that shows on my Tivo's, and Vuze will only share it's own compressed files with the bad audio. Not good.

Perhaps there's a command-line thing I can do to de-activate the Fuse controls over file-sharing to the Tivos?
gouldtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 08:21 PM   #24
moose5

audio issues?

I wanted to give this a try and it seems to work fine but when zi go to transfer on tivo the audio is completely cut apart from some random burp-like sounds. Help?
moose5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 11:28 AM   #25
joleta

ryanperry: I have the same problem. My TiVo HD doesn't show up in Vuze. I'm also on Leopard on a Mac.
joleta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 07:32 PM   #26
Johncv

Quote:
Originally Posted by joleta View Post
ryanperry: I have the same problem. My TiVo HD doesn't show up in Vuze. I'm also on Leopard on a Mac.
I am using Snow Leopard on my new iMac and Vuze work just fine. Make sure your Wi-Fi connection is working. You may have move the TiVo’s wireless adapter to get a better signal.

HDTiVo
27-inch iMac with i7 quad core processor
Johncv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 09:17 PM   #27
joleta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johncv View Post
I am using Snow Leopard on my new iMac and Vuze work just fine. Make sure your Wi-Fi connection is working. You may have move the TiVo’s wireless adapter to get a better signal.
Both the Mac and the TiVo are on the same wired (not wifi) network. PyTivo works fine for streaming from Mac to TiVo, and the TiVo Transfer that comes with Toast Titanium can pull programs from the TiVo back to my Mac, so I know the connection is okay.

I still wish I knew why Vuze can't see my TiVo, but I don't really need Vuze now that I've got PyTivo set up.
joleta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 08:28 PM   #28
jtso

I'm running Snow Leopard and have a TiVoHDXL and had the problem where my TiVo never showed up as a "device" on the left side pane of Vuse. I solved the problem by turning TiVo Desktop off in the system preferences.

By the way, if you have a DNLA device on your network (I have an Oppo Blue Ray Player), it will see Vuse running on your Mac and think it is a DLNA server. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get it to play any TiVo shows (I have them in MPEG 1/2 format) stored on my computer through Vuse. Maybe someone out there knows how to do that...

I have been able to watch TiVo shows stored on my computer through my Oppo by running a nifty program called PS3 Media Server.app. When I run it on my Mac, the Oppo sees my Mac, I can use the Oppo's remote control to search my computer's file structure to find the show that I want, and then I can watch it. It is not perfect, and there are glitches, but I've had more success with this than with Vuse.
jtso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 07:26 PM   #29
kcantrel

I just downloaded Vuze (4.4.0.6), onto my Windows XP SP3 machine, downloaded a movie, enable Devices support. Even before enabling, Vuze already saw all three of my TiVos. After enabling it, I "dragged and dropped" the movie into the TiVo Device (HD-TiVo) on the left hand side and it did the transcoding thing. I even see the .vob file on the Windows machine. However, when I go to the TiVo NPL Vuze does not show up.

Thinking it was the TiVo, I dragged and dropped the movie to the Series 3 TiVo device hoping it would work. But, Vuze doesn't show up there either on the S3 NPL either. My 3rd TiVo a S2, and from what I understand that doesn't work to begin with so I didn't bother dragging to that device, but I did confirm it also doesn't "see" the Vuze computer.

All the computers and TiVos are on the same network. Do I need to open a port up on my Windows machine to allow TiVo to "see" it? Note that I do not have TiVo Desktop installed on the computer that has Vuze on it. I do have a laptop with TiVo Desktop installed on it, and all three TiVos "see" it.

Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.
kcantrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 07:42 PM   #30
morac
Cat God

Vuze uses the same method to serve up files as TiVo Desktop. As long as they are on the same network it should work. Without getting connection or packet sniff data from you, it's hard to what's wrong.