TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-17-2010, 01:21 PM   #1
flikhem

Hot in Cleveland

I'll give it one more episode before I delete the season pass.
flikhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 01:55 PM   #2
SorenTodd

I thought it was hysterically funny. Even though it was full of cliches and stereotypes, I was still smiling throughout the whole ep.

Hopefully Betty White gets more screen time; her character plays well off those other three ditzy women.
SorenTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 01:58 PM   #3
SLJackson

I really enjoyed it. Thought it was pretty funny.
SLJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 03:22 PM   #4
IJustLikeTivo
TiVo Forum Special Member

I would just watch with the sound off to watch the ladies. All three leads are on my top list (yes, I am an old fart).

If I turn the sound on I'm sure Betty White is hilarious.

Actually missed the pilot but I logged in a set an SP to catch it.
IJustLikeTivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 06:58 PM   #5
sieglinde

I just watched a bit this morning and it is very funny. I thought it would be irritating but I loved the ladies all reacting to the nicer midwestern men.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:16 AM   #6
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

I'm about 5 minutes in, they're trying REAL hard for the classic sitcom vibe:

- "Hot in Cleveland is filmed before a live studio audience."
- Laugh track every two seconds. Has it been that long since I watched a sitcom with one?
- Directed by Michael Lembeck. Yes he's been directing shows for years, but it can't be a coincidence with a show starring Valerie Bertinelli.

I'll have to give it more than 5 minutes though.

Greg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
gchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 09:57 AM   #7
ronsch

My wife and I liked it too.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:23 AM   #8
crowtoo

My wife and I really enjoyed it as well. The beginning was a little shaky but once they got to Cleveland it was pretty funny. I thought that Valerie Bertinelli looked better than she has in a long time and it appears as if she was having a great time. I got the impression she was genuinely laughing at the jokes and not acting. And of course Betty White is always hilarious.

Apparently lots of people watched and hopefully enjoyed the show too:

Quote:
TV Land's 'Hot in Cleveland' premiere draws 5 nearly million viewers
UPI News Service, 06/17/2010

Nearly 5 million total viewers tuned in to watch the premiere of TV Land's first original sitcom "Hot in Cleveland" Wednesday night, the network announced.

The program was the highest rated and most watched in the network's history, TV Land said.

Starring Valerie Bertinelli, Jane Leeves, Wendie Malick and Betty White, "Hot in Cleveland" is about three fabulous best friends from Los Angeles -- novelist Melanie Moretti, eyebrow groomer to the stars Joy Scroggs and former soap opera actress Victoria Chase -- who find their lives changed after their plane, headed for Paris, makes an unexpected landing.

When the friends discover they are seen as glamorous in Cleveland, they decide to stay. Starting over, they rent a house from a feisty caretaker, TV Land said in a synopsis of the show.
P.S. - TV Land on my cable system isn't in HD, but the show is also airing on CMT-HD.

Chris
crowtoo@earthlink.net
crowtoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 12:25 PM   #9
firerose818
Graduate student!

TC CLUB MEMBER
And we're picking up a showing on a Nickelodeon station, of all things. (Since we missed the premiere on TV Land)
firerose818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 01:33 PM   #10
IJustLikeTivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by firerose818 View Post
And we're picking up a showing on a Nickelodeon station, of all things. (Since we missed the premiere on TV Land)
That's what I used since I get nick in HD.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:42 PM   #11
maharg18

Laugh track was ridiculous, but I did enjoy Better White as usual.
Old 06-19-2010, 01:59 PM   #12
sieglinde

I got around to finishing off the first episode. You are all familiar with comfort food. Usually this is food you had as a child that you still like and gives you comfort. Usually it is high carb and high fat. Macaroni and Cheese comes to mind.

This is comfort TV which is what TVLand speciallizes in. I found it funny, non-irritating. All four of the characters were likable. When Betty White first came on, I wondered but then I remembered. This is Betty White!!! I love her. It doesn't matter what she is doing. She could be playing a serial killer and I would love her.

Simple plot, easy resolution, funny lines, pleasant and funny characters including the minor characters. I liked the fact that they are not putting the midwest down.
Old 06-19-2010, 07:52 PM   #13
Graymalkin
Style and Panache

They were complimentary about Midwestern men, but they were brutal about L.A. men. I wonder who buys programming for TV Land? Probably not the typical male TV programmer based in L.A. Otherwise, it never would've gotten on the air.
Graymalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 08:45 PM   #14
Regina
I've got Jewbs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maharg18 View Post
Laugh track was ridiculous, but I did enjoy Betty White as usual.
+1 ! The laugh track was jarring-but the show was cute. I'll watch it!
Old 06-19-2010, 08:55 PM   #15
Cainebj

Quote:
Originally Posted by sieglinde View Post
This is comfort TV which is what TVLand speciallizes in. I found it funny, non-irritating. All four of the characters were likable. When Betty White first came on, I wondered but then I remembered. This is Betty White!!! I love her. It doesn't matter what she is doing. She could be playing a serial killer and I would love her.

Simple plot, easy resolution, funny lines, pleasant and funny characters including the minor characters. I liked the fact that they are not putting the midwest down.
+1

Yeah, they might be trying hard for an old sitcom feel, but I think they actually did a pretty good job in achieving it. And all 4 ladies are great. I enjoyed.
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 10:13 PM   #16
d-dub
Jami's Gameboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina View Post
+1 ! The laugh track was jarring-but the show was cute. I'll watch it!
I guess my annoying noise filter has been honed from raising 4 boys... I didn't even notice the laugh track

Now with improved joystick action!
World's Luckiest Guy (TM)

-- David --
d-dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 10:34 AM   #17
sieglinde

If you want more training on tuning noise out, I recommend the World Cup Soccer games. The death penalty should come into play for anyone introducing vuvuzulas to North America.
Old 06-20-2010, 12:17 PM   #18
MLR930
Gamer Goddess

I loved it, barely noticed the laugh track I've been watching sitcoms for so long that I got used to them.

Herbalife Distributor and Wellness Coach
MLR930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 02:36 PM   #19
sharkster

Wow, it must be the ringing in my ears but I didn't even notice the laugh track. What's even worse is that I read this thread before I watched the episode and STILL didn't notice it. d'oh!

Anyway, I liked it even though it was totally predictable and hokey. I think that is because I really like all 4 actors. I'll keep watching.

Jane Leeves looks so amazing. Wendy - love her wit but would like to see a style change, including her hair. Valerie is such a doll. Was it my TV, or did she look kind of, um, thick?
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 08:33 PM   #20
Cainebj

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkster View Post
Was it my TV, or did she look kind of, um, thick?
I thought the same thing especially given her Jenny Craig commercials, but maybe it was filmed a few months ago?
She didn't look thick on The Today Show the other day...
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:01 AM   #21
sushikitten
Exhausted mama

/still needs to set SP - I checked online and saw a bunch of Pilot repeats on a bunch of channels...including VH1? Interesting.

sushikitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:12 AM   #22
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Ratings were through the roof (for TVLand) according to tvbythenumbers.

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 12:50 PM   #23
IJustLikeTivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkster View Post
Jane Leeves looks so amazing. Wendy - love her wit but would like to see a style change, including her hair. Valerie is such a doll. Was it my TV, or did she look kind of, um, thick?
She certainly isn't as heavy as the before shots but neither is she at the same weight as when she did the Bikini ads last year. But, still very cute.

Just wish I had an HD source. I got the pilot in HD on Nick but all the new ones are on TVLAND for now.
Old 06-21-2010, 01:01 PM   #24
Graymalkin
Style and Panache

Fell in love with Valerie Bertinelli when she was on One Day at a Time, and have never stopped. Even during her deliberately robotic performance in Touched by an Angel.

Good to have you back on TV, Valerie!
Graymalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:44 PM   #25
mattack

Weird, it aired in a 34 minute timeslot overnight on IIRC nick at nite.. It started about 1 minute in the timeslot, but cut off the very end..

So I don't know if they just crammed more commercials in it, or did an 'expanded' version. The rest of the airings are ~30 minutes IIRC.

(haven't watched it yet, I simply wanted to check if it got the whole thing)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 07:11 AM   #26
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Weird, it aired in a 34 minute timeslot overnight on IIRC nick at nite.. It started about 1 minute in the timeslot, but cut off the very end..

So I don't know if they just crammed more commercials in it, or did an 'expanded' version. The rest of the airings are ~30 minutes IIRC.

(haven't watched it yet, I simply wanted to check if it got the whole thing)
I recorded a re-airing of the pilot on TVLand this past Sat morning, and mine also ran out before it ended. Recorded another re-airing just to see the last few minutes. SP now padded by 5".

XL4
Old 06-22-2010, 10:53 PM   #27
mattack

Though I think my recording really only missed 10 seconds or so..

and I didn't time it, but I really do think they simply padded it out with ~4 more minutes of commercials.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 10:56 AM   #28
sushikitten
Exhausted mama

I was just watching the pilot...thinking that, while it was cute, it was nothing I'd rush to see again. It seemed like it was trying too hard. Then Betty White appeared and I actually laughed out loud. SP set just for her.

sushikitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 11:59 AM   #29
Jon J
Curmudgeon

Betty White is a national treasure. She has more comedic talent in her little finger than most of today's so-called comedians. Long may she live.

The writing reminds me of Cheers and Frasier. A keeper for me.
Old 06-29-2010, 03:34 PM   #30
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon J View Post
Betty White is a national treasure. She has more comedic talent in her little finger than most of today's so-called comedians. Long may she live.

The writing reminds me of Cheers and Frasier. A keeper for me.
Same here; we're keeping the SP. We've laffed out loud during this show more than many on "mainstream" networks...

XL4