TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-15-2010, 06:36 PM   #1
themango

TiVo HD Comcast CableCard issue

Have a TiVo HD with a multi-stream cable card from Comcast.

Prior to Sunday, everything was fine.

On Sunday I called Comcast to add HBO to my cable lineup. Works fine on TV upstairs, not so on TiVo. I "add" the channels to my lineup through setup menu (so they show in the guide) and restart the TiVo.

HBO works after restart, but on Monday, I realize that some of my other HD channels are not coming in. Locals are fine, HBO is fine, but every other HD channel is a black screen, no sound. Again, everything is fine upstairs.

I called Comcast, they had me restart again (I'd already done this a few times). Still no joy. The rep schedules me for a tech to come out.

I refuse to believe there's nothing more they can do...send some sort of signal to the cable card or something...

Does anyone have any suggestions about what I can do to get this working? I don't want to break it more than it already is :-(
Old 06-19-2010, 10:57 AM   #2
Bort13
TiVo Junkie

There's a whole thread about Comcast CableCARD issues:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=316310

Tivo troubleshooting document:
http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/...gchannelissues

This should help you isolate the problem. Some quick info: there are three values in Conditional Access that matter a lot: Con: should be yes (card is configured), Auth: should be S or possibly FWK (card is authorized by the cable company), and Val: should be V and not ? (the card is paired with your unit). I have the first two but not the last one. You have to badger Comcast techs, who will keep throwing you into a "let's compare pairing values" script that culminates in a tech to be sent out. You have to get them to send the proper "hit" to authorize your card.

I now have channels, but I still have Val: ?, meaning I'm not paired up with Comcast systems. I can't get them to resolve it, and I can get a replacement but I have working channels right now. If you have a Comcast depot nearby, you can go to them and try to get a replacement. It's tough to want to replace it and get one that's possibly worse, but that's what I should do. A tech will replace cards until he finds one that works, so it might be better since he'll have a few of 'em.
Bort13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 12:13 AM   #3
sfo2010

Thank you, I started going through the 200+ page thread. I had comcast here for about 5 hours trying to get a Motorola M-Card working in my premiere XL and they basically left saying it could take hours to get all channels.

Here I am another 5 hours later without all my channels and it is pretty random, e.g. 1-2 channels missing in each tier.

The "Val:" field is showing ? not V.

So is there any chance of this working without another visit by Comcast?
sfo2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 03:43 PM   #4
Bort13
TiVo Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfo2010 View Post
So is there any chance of this working without another visit by Comcast?
There is
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb....php?p=7998761
Bort13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 07:23 PM   #5
HotTub

I have had a Premiere XL for three weeks and Comcast still has not been able to give me all the channels I am paying for. About twenty of the channels say "I am not authorized to receive the channel" and the other five just give me a black screen. I have had Comcast out here so many times I'm thinking about starting to charge them rent. They say it is a channel frequency problem that they are working on and TIVO says it's a pairing problem. Comcast is crediting my account $10 a month on the missing channels while they supposedly work on the problem. I'm only paying $9.95 for the 105 channel package. (100 to 205) so I am still ahead of the game. The only channels I would probably watch if they were working would be the Encore channels. None of those are working. Of course wouldn't you know all the Mexican channels work perfect.

I gave up working with Comcast. Every tech they sent out here had no idea what a TIVO was. I ended up plugging the "M" card into the back of the TIVO for the Tech and they charged me a $30 installation fee to do it for him.
HotTub is offline   Reply With Quote