TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-10-2010, 03:10 AM   #1
ferror

TiVo Desktop & HTTPS crashes Premiere

In short, accessing the Premiere from TiVo Desktop or HTTPS fails and destabilizes the unit. One of my theories is that this happens if there are too many recordings for it to handle, and it suffers a memory buffer overrun/corrupted memory. Sorry if this has already been mentioned, I have looked for this issue in other threads, but haven't seen it.

I have been trying to access my Premiere using TiVo Desktop Pro, and when I attempt 'Pick Recordings to Transfer' and select the Premiere, it starts fetching the list of recordings, gets up to about 140 out of 200, and then I get the message: "There was an error while attempting to retrieve data from the selected DVR." At this point, when I go back to the Premiere and attempt to use the UI it stops responding almost immediately. I have also tried accessing the Premiere from the HTTPS interface. It accepts my password (tivo/MAK) and then it sits loading for nearly a minute before I get an error screen saying that the response was empty. Again, going back to the unit I find that it is unstable and crashes almost immediately.

This is the non-XL version with a 1TB expander drive. I have been using the SD menus due to the slow HD menus. I have no trouble using the Premiere from the SD UI. I also have two TiVo HD units on the same network, and I am able to use them without any problems in Tivo Desktop and through the HTTPS interface. Interestingly, the Premiere seems to communicate with the two TiVo HDs via MRV just fine, so my workaround for now is to transfer shows to a TiVo HD from the Premiere using MRV then move them to TiVo Desktop from there.

I am pretty sure that I did not have this problem when I first bought the unit and used TiVo Desktop with it. Now, it gets up to about 140 recordings, pauses, then fails. It acts as if it can't handle that many recordings or is having a problem with a particular recording, but I can't see the problem in the TiVo UI itself.
ferror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:37 AM   #2
aaronwt
HD Addict

I've had no issues with my TiVo Desktop Pro, but the most shows I've had on my Premiere XL boxes was 150 on one and around 120 on the other one.

I'll rarely get above 150 shows since many of them will be transferred to the PC using TiVo desktop and then will be deleted from the TiVo.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 12:25 PM   #3
ferror

I am now using kmttg, and it is able to communicate with the Premiere just fine. I wonder if kmttg uses a different protocol than TiVo Desktop or HTTPS. Maybe it uses the same method as MRV from the other TiVo's. At any rate, I have a couple of workarounds. TiVo should look into crashing caused by using these features when a large number of recordings are present, however. It is quite troubling that my Premiere crashes and locks up if I merely attempt to visit the HTTPS main index page.
Old 05-31-2010, 03:00 PM   #4
ferror

This is just a followup on this issue. As of 14.1c, I continue to have problems with lockups and reboots of the Premiere when accessing the web interface. This happens with TiVo Desktop Pro, HTTPS, and kmttg. I thought that somehow kmttg was able to get around the issue, but this turns out to be false. Any tool that uses MRV/TTG on the Premiere will eventually destabilize the unit. In the kmttg thread, another person is reporting the same issue now. I am surprised that so few others have reported experiencing this. I still don't have 14.4, so there is some hope they solved it there, but I'm not too optimistic since the issue so far has been below the radar.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:20 PM   #5
DeWitt

I have been using KMTTG with both My Premiere XL and premiere with no issues. Got the XL first week, premiere about two weeks later.
DeWitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 12:41 PM   #6
aaronwt
HD Addict

I've also had no issues either using TiVo Desktop 2.8 or KMTTG with my Premieres. Transfers occur as they did when I had S3 units. Although I never used KMTTG with my S3 units since I only started using KMTTG 11 days ago.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 12:50 PM   #7
gweempose

KMTTG + Premiere = BLAZING FAST transfers!
gweempose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 12:59 PM   #8
ferror

RedMan8 suggested in the kmttg thread that maybe there is a correlation between rebooting and then trying to access the web interface too quickly. Perhaps it is dicey shortly after the reboot. I have had times when it seems to work fine, but times when I can't get it to work right at all. When it is not working, I'll try to reboot and then attempt it again. Naturally, I try it again shortly after the reboot while I am working on it, which might be what actually triggers it. Eventually I give up and come back to it later to find it works again. Maybe a large number of recordings causes it to take longer to finish initializing than it would with fewer recordings and this is why I see it more now than I did when I first got it.
Old 06-17-2010, 04:23 PM   #9
the-videoguy

I am also seeing this issue when using KMTTG. I have a Premiere with around 100 programs in the now playing list. The Tivo was recording one show, while my wife was watching another, while I was browsing the Now Playing List in KMTTG. It just seemed to overload it.

I couldn't play around with this anymore because after the second reboot, my wife threatened to get rid of the 'new' tivo.
the-videoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 03:11 AM   #10
ferror

Yes, that sounds pretty similar. For me, what I've been noticing the most lately is that I can't access/download the Now Playing list in KMTTG, Tivo Desktop Pro, or HTTPS. Occasionally, it will actually download the NPL successfully, but most of the time it will appear hung for a minute or two and then close the connection. In KMTTG I get a long dump (in red) of the curl output. I haven't raised it as a bug there because I've seen the code for KMTTG, and there is no way it is causing the Premiere to behave this way, and I've reproduced the same issue two other ways.

Still wondering when this issue will get more attention than just a handful of us. It is most definitely real. It isn't just some misconfiguration. I have two S3's on the same network that work fine with this exact same hardware/software setup. For now, if I need to pull stuff from the Premiere I can MRV it to one of the S3's and go from there, but it is annoying because the Premiere is so much faster and I don't get to benefit from that speed at all.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:54 PM   #11
nickrosenberg

I've had the same problem with the premiere and Tivo Desktop. After running a few days it stops transferring from the Premiere i.e. the transfer ability just hangs as it were. HTTPS works but times out after transferring somewhere between 10MB and 200MB i.e. before transferring the entire program.

Most annoyingly the MRV from my 2 other Series 2 DT Tivo's also hangs i.e. when I transfer a program it puts in the todo list and does nothing. Only thing I can do is clear MRV transfers from todo list then reboot all 3 tivos at the same time.

Finally I see many other people saying MRV transfer is much faster on the premiere - on the contrary I find it SLOWER than the Series2's. Perhaps there's something wrong with my tivo?

Finally I did see I was using Tivo Desktop 2.7 so I'm upgrading to 2.8.1 tonight and will give it a few days to see if I get an improvement
nickrosenberg is offline   Reply With Quote