TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-04-2010, 11:49 AM   #7411
bicker
Gruff

That only would be the case if the "spirit" of the law was what you personally want it to have been.

Instead, the law was intended to balance the various interests in this matter, that of the CE manufacturers, service providers, and consumers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 07:01 AM   #7412
ghuido

Last Christmas I got my In-Laws a TIVO HD. Now Project Cavalry hit their Area and they need to put in a Cable Card on the TIVO HD.

I have done this with both my TIVO HD's that I have at my house but lets just say my In-Laws might not understand this process.

Does anyone know the best way to describe to them (E.g. In Laws) how to call Comcast and get a request for a Cable Card Roll Out. Thanks.
ghuido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 12:10 AM   #7413
yukit

HD only working for limited basic channels

I had a perfectly working TivoHD with a M-card.

I attempted to swap the hard drive on Sat, but ended up putting the old drive back in the TivoHD. The original recordings & season pass are still there, but I lost extended HD channels.

I contacted Comcast through online chat, the CSR tried to send the signal to activate/reset the cableCARD, but that was unsuccessful. 2nd try would take 45 mins to reload the channel info. 2 hours later, the extended HD channels are still not working.

CSR suggested a truckroll if this did not work. Any suggestions what I can try before I request a truckroll? I have reprogrammed Tivo to record SD channels for the next few days.

BTW, extended HD channels are working just fine on the other TivoXL, so it does not seem to be the general service issue.
XL 658
S2 540
yukit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 05:37 AM   #7414
bicker
Gruff

I can't help you with the issue you're having, but a question: You said you "attempted" to swap the hard drive... Did you actually try to boot up with the new hard drive in it? If so how did you prepare the hard drive? (That might explain why you would have to re-pair the cards.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:16 AM   #7415
yukit

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker View Post
I can't help you with the issue you're having, but a question: You said you "attempted" to swap the hard drive... Did you actually try to boot up with the new hard drive in it? If so how did you prepare the hard drive? (That might explain why you would have to re-pair the cards.)
The new hard drive was prepared in another TivoHD with no cableCARD.
I did boot the new drive to test it, it appeared to work, but the NPL reported a hardware problem. I figured I had to re-pair the cableCARD with the new drive, but I swapped the original drive back in.

If I need to re-pair the card with the original drive, how do I explain that to a Comcast CSR? I thought I did that already.
XL 658
S2 540
Old 06-15-2010, 10:19 AM   #7416
drhankz

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukit View Post
The new hard drive was prepared in another TivoHD with no cableCARD.
I did boot the new drive to test it, it appeared to work, but the NPL reported a hardware problem. I figured I had to re-pair the cableCARD with the new drive, but I swapped the original drive back in.

If I need to re-pair the card with the original drive, how do I explain that to a Comcast CSR? I thought I did that already.
All you need to do is get it running AGAIN.

Comcast needs to provision the stuff - do not explain anything to Comcast.

Tell them it is a NEW BOX
drhankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 11:38 AM   #7417
bicker
Gruff

Right, since you booted the new drive in the TiVo (to test it) you need to treat putting the old drive back into the TiVo as if it is a new box.

Old 06-15-2010, 04:58 PM   #7418
Mahty

After upgrading the hard drive in my TiVo S3, I eventually found a Comcast CSR who knew how to re-pair my two TiVo-based CableCARDs. However, despite my explicit instructions to the CSR to not touch a third, still-paired CableCARD on my account (and in a 5-year-old TV), he somehow managed to cause it to stop working. Subsequent attempts by a number of other Comcast CSRs failed to get that third CableCARD working again.

Since I have no confidence in the competence of Comcast CSRs, I eventually opted to call a Comcast dispatcher. Unfortunately, he too was unable to get the third CableCARD working.

Here's my question: In his attempt to re-pair the CableCARD, the Comcast dispatcher sent three signals to the CableCARD in the order: Initialize, Hit, Validate. However, I read in one of these TiVo Community threads that the correct signal order should have been: Validate, Initialize, Hit.

Does anybody know what is the correct order? Or, might either order be OK?

Also, the dispatcher did mention that he had seen a good number of Motorola S-cards that were flaky. Perhaps the first CSR inadvertently un-paired a still-working, but flaky CableCARD, after which it could no longer be re-paired due to flakiness. Sound (somewhat) possible?

Last edited by Mahty : 06-15-2010 at 05:10 PM.
Mahty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 05:20 PM   #7419
Puppy76

Why the FRAK does Comcast get to get away with their incompetence with cable cards? We all know they're doing it intentionally, and it's not legal. Heck, they wouldn't even give me the things for less than $30/month for a pair.
Puppy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 06:39 PM   #7420
bicker
Gruff

First, your assertion that they're doing "it" intentionally is just consumerist clap-trap. You have no way of even beginning to know "their" motivations. Second, the way they're working with CableCARD is legal.

Your anger is misdirected. There are any number of reasonable frustrations you can put together for this, but because Comcast is big and powerful you choose to blame them. Sad.

Old 06-15-2010, 10:10 PM   #7421
yukit

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post
All you need to do is get it running AGAIN.

Comcast needs to provision the stuff - do not explain anything to Comcast.

Tell them it is a NEW BOX
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker View Post
Right, since you booted the new drive in the TiVo (to test it) you need to treat putting the old drive back into the TiVo as if it is a new box.
I suspected that might be the case. Good to get a confirmation from people in the know.

Thanks.
XL 658
S2 540
Old 06-16-2010, 03:34 PM   #7422
Twylo

I've just had my first ever experience with CableCARD, and it strikes me as pretty weird. Can anyone chime in and say whether this is common?

I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area. After years of having only basic analog cable, I recently moved and upgraded to the standard digital package. I picked up an M-Card at the Comcast service center for self install. It was quick and easy, and cheap. No problems there.

I went through the normal CableCARD setup on my TiVo Series 3, called Comcast and gave them the information they asked for from the grey CableCARD Pairing screen. They tried several times to activate the card remotely, even said that they'd escalated it to the second tier team, but it wouldn't work. So they scheduled to have a tech come out.

This morning, the tech came out. He seemed very knowledgeable about CableCARDs. He ran some diagnostics to confirm the connection was OK (it was), then tried swapping out the card with a new one. That card also could not be activated. Then he swapped it out with a third. That card, too, could not be activated.

Now here's what gets me: He said this was totally normal. He basically said (paraphrasing here), "yeah, this happens all the time. We just have to keep swapping out cards and calling back until we find one that works." So, having run out of CableCARDs to try, he made a follow-up appointment for tomorrow morning.

So, I have to take another three hours off work to wait around and hope that one card in the next batch will work.

This seems less than ideal to me! Is this actually common? Is this how a normal install goes?

I'm not angry, really, just frustrated that it takes so much time out of my schedule to wait for technicians.
Twylo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 03:58 PM   #7423
a68oliver

Twylo, that is not my experience.

I have had 4 S-cards installed on two different S3 Tivos and 1 M-card installed on a Tivo HD.

There were always minor glitches in the installation process, but we were always able to get things up and running in about an hour.
Tivo HD November 2007
a68oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 04:59 PM   #7424
Phantom Gremlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twylo View Post
Now here's what gets me: He said this was totally normal. He basically said (paraphrasing here), "yeah, this happens all the time. We just have to keep swapping out cards and calling back until we find one that works." So, having run out of CableCARDs to try, he made a follow-up appointment for tomorrow morning.
Fortunately, in my experience, I had no dud CableCARDs from either Comcast or Verizon.

You said the tech tried a "new" card, but I wonder if it was "factory new" or just new to your install. The big problem with "hanger queen" electronics is it most likely gets put back into inventory, simply to cause problems the next time. So the odds are that Comcast has wound up with a pile of broken CableCARDs that nobody has the authority to scrap or to return for replacement.
Phantom Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 05:16 PM   #7425
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Twylo. It's possible some of those cards were actually "good" and they just didn't know how to pair them properly. Is this guy a sub contractor or does he work for Comcast? I found (I live in the Bay Area too) I did much better when I asked for a "Field Supervisor" who has had experience in installing Cable Cards on TiVos. They sent one of those guys out and he got the same (bad) card to work. He said they were doing it wrong on the other end.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:52 AM   #7426
MJGunn

So I was planning to pick up a tivo hd and get a cable card installed since my s2 tivo will be going offline pretty soon, but then I read the posts by jetlaw about having problems getting it set up in palm beach, fl, which is where I am.

Jet, did they ever resolve your issue? Were they unable to provide any cable card, even an S?
MJGunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:28 AM   #7427
Bort13
TiVo Junkie

I am yet another person bailed out by We_Can_Help@cable.comcast.com when the call center was unable to help me. I was going to have to wait until Wednesday for a service call, but they got me fixed early this morning (48 hours ahead of time)

Last edited by Bort13 : 06-22-2010 at 02:49 PM. Reason: lead time
Bort13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 02:13 PM   #7428
dpawl31

Cable Card Problems

Hey guys, new here.

I have a TIVO HD, and a series 2.

Recently I had comcast change a few things on my account, new channels etc.

Right after the switch - I had issues.

I called comcast, they forwarded me to tivo support. I know it's not the tivo, due to it happening immediately after the switch.

Basically, when not recording anything - both cable cards have all channels.

When one card starts recording, I lose high channels, like everything above 37 or so, on the OTHER card.

We set things to record, a tivo suggestion is recording while we arent home and then are show records BLACK, because the channel is not there.

Any ideas? Think I should call tech support have them refresh or something? I sent a refresh signal via the phone support system and got nothing different.
dpawl31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 02:41 PM   #7429
Bort13
TiVo Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpawl31 View Post
Any ideas? Think I should call tech support have them refresh or something? I sent a refresh signal via the phone support system and got nothing different.
quoting yourself is gauche, reposting from here.

Tivo troubleshooting document:
http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/...gchannelissues

This should help you isolate the problem. Some quick info: there are three values in Conditional Access that matter a lot: Con: should be yes (card is configured), Auth: should be S or possibly FWK (card is authorized by the cable company), and Val: should be V and not ? (the card is paired with your unit). You may have to badger Comcast phone support, who will keep throwing you into a "let's compare pairing values" script that culminates in a tech to be sent out. You have to get them to send the proper "hit" to authorize your card.
** both send the hit and have the information correct in the right system ("Inventory").

I recommend you call support and try to get help for a reasonable amount of time. Then, if you're still having trouble, email We_Can_Help@cable.comcast.com

Last edited by Bort13 : 06-22-2010 at 02:50 PM. Reason: changes in italics
Old 06-24-2010, 10:32 AM   #7430
benjosevilla

Grey screen comes up when watching

I have a Tivo HD I had for a few weeks now. It has an M card connected to my Comcast service which includes HD channels. Every so often, the grey screen showing the information provided by your cable provider pops up. You have to press the clear button to get out of it an continue watching TV.
Other than that, it work OK.

does anyone who why this is and if there is a fix.
benjosevilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 10:41 AM   #7431
Bort13
TiVo Junkie

That happened to me when I wasn't paired properly. Check Messages & Settings, Account & System Information, Cable Card Decoders, <your card>, Cable Card Menu, Conditional Access.

If the Val: is ? and not V (*) , you're not paired and you need help from Comcast to do it. If you call Comcast support and tell them about the gray screen, they should have a script to fix it (see Cablecard Pairing, if you need the info from the gray screen). If that doesn't help after a reasonable amount of time, email We_Can_Help@cable.comcast.com and explain your situation in a short and polite manner.

* also: Con: should be Yes and Auth: should be S.

second edit: use that email address if the phone support people say you have to have a tech visit.

link from Tivo support: http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/...pairingbinding

Last edited by Bort13 : 06-24-2010 at 10:52 AM. Reason: colon!
Old 06-24-2010, 05:12 PM   #7432
jrm01

Over the past five years I have helped with about 20 cablecard installs from Comcast for myself, family and friends. Today I had to get a cablecard for my bedroom THD finally since they started encrypting the clear-QAM channels that I was using.

I called on Tuesday, scheduled it for Thursday. He showed up with the card and we were completely setup and finished in five minutes. The surprising thing to me was that he put the card in TiVo (well, I did) called his office and then hung up saying that it was done. They have a system now that will read the serial number, host and data-id from the card and put it in the pairing system. Send an Authorization hit and all is done.

I know that it's not the same everywhere, but here in Pittsburgh it's so easy even a Comcast Tech can do it.
jrm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 06:07 PM   #7433
benjosevilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm01 View Post
Over the past five years I have helped with about 20 cablecard installs from Comcast for myself, family and friends. Today I had to get a cablecard for my bedroom THD finally since they started encrypting the clear-QAM channels that I was using.

I called on Tuesday, scheduled it for Thursday. He showed up with the card and we were completely setup and finished in five minutes. The surprising thing to me was that he put the card in TiVo (well, I did) called his office and then hung up saying that it was done. They have a system now that will read the serial number, host and data-id from the card and put it in the pairing system. Send an Authorization hit and all is done.

I know that it's not the same everywhere, but here in Pittsburgh it's so easy even a Comcast Tech can do it.
Mine was not properly paired when I first brought it home and called them to register it. Although my THD was working properly, I occassionally got the grey screen I reported earlier. So I called Comcast again. He had me read off the number in the back of the Mcard, the host and data-id and that was it. Of course I had to redo the guided setup. They do not require a truckroll in our area for cablecard install
Old 07-13-2010, 10:26 PM   #7434
Luis214

Quick question. I have a Tivo HD series 3 with 2 cablecards installed from Comcast. Can I remove the cablecards and put them in a different Tivo HD series 3 and have it work properly? Or does Comcast need to come out and reset the cards? This is assuming I transfer service from one tivo to the other as well. Thanks!
Luis214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:33 PM   #7435
cjv2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis214 View Post
Quick question. I have a Tivo HD series 3 with 2 cablecards installed from Comcast. Can I remove the cablecards and put them in a different Tivo HD series 3 and have it work properly? Or does Comcast need to come out and reset the cards? This is assuming I transfer service from one tivo to the other as well. Thanks!
Comcast will need to re-pair the cable cards with the new Tivo. Whether that requires a visit to the site or this is something you can handle over the phone depends completely upon how they handle things in your area (here in Atlanta, it would mean a tech visit, even though all they would do is read the new Tivo info to some guy on the other end of the phone that you can't call yourself).
Old 07-13-2010, 10:52 PM   #7436
Gene Plantz
Four Tivos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis214 View Post
I did it here in Chicago. Hoping to not have to call them.

What I found is I get all the "non-special" channels but none of the movie channels my paid plan covers. So, I get the locals (HD), A&E, BRAVO, DSC, HISTORY (even in HD if they have that flavor), all that kind of stuff. I guess I need to call them to get the cablecard re-paired so it (the Tivo) is known on my account and will allow the movie channels.
Gene Plantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:53 PM   #7437
cjv2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Plantz View Post
What I found is I get all the "non-special" channels but none of the movie channels my paid plan covers. So, I get the locals (HD), A&E, BRAVO, DSC, HISTORY (even in HD if they have that flavor), all that kind of stuff. I guess I need to call them to get the cablecard re-paired so it (the Tivo) is known on my account and will allow the movie channels.
Bingo, you got it. Any encrypted channels are going to require proper pairing. The others, not so much.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:06 PM   #7438
benjosevilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Plantz View Post
I did it here in Chicago. Hoping to not have to call them.

Although you may get channels, if it is not paired properly, you may get the intermittent grey screen. Very annoying. You may not get all the channels you are entitled too as well. So have it paired properly.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:30 PM   #7439
Luis214

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjosevilla View Post
Although you may get channels, if it is not paired properly, you may get the intermittent grey screen. Very annoying. You may not get all the channels you are entitled too as well. So have it paired properly.
Thanks all for your help. I have an appointment scheduled on Sunday, so if it doesn't work when I make the switch on Saturday, I should be covered. I appreciate all the quick responses!

On a side note, can I still watch shows on the HD DVR that doesn't have cable cards in it? Not record any, just watch what's already on there.
Luis214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 09:24 PM   #7440
jasonrene

Thumbs up Another fun cableCARD / Tivo story

Man, am I glad this forum exists. I'm going to share my rather long story in the hopes that others may benefit from learning about what I experienced.

I signed up for Comcast Triple Play here in Chicago, but I wanted to return to my beloved Tivo experience (since the software on Comcast DVR boxes is so sluggish and un-fun.) I purchased a new Premiere Tivo Series 4, and in anticipation of what was to come, I researched similar customer experiences, including this forum.

I obtained my M-Card from North Avenue and attempted to perform a self-install. Not surprisingly, the Tivo Guided Setup failed when trying to obtain channels from Comcast. Upon browsing the cableCARD settings, it was easy to see that the cableCARD was not properly paired. I contacted Tivo support, and after 2 calls they confirmed that the "Val" setting on the "Conditional Access" screen having a "?" value indicated that the cableCARD was not paired properly on Comcast's side.

I spoke to 3 different Comcast tech support reps, once even while having a Tivo support rep on 3-way. Even with the Tivo rep being able to provide detailed, technical guidance to the rep as to what values to confirm, the Comcast reps were completely clueless. Every tech support rep there suggested that only field technicians can do cableCARD installs; some even suggested that it was impossible for someone to pick up a cableCARD in person to do a self-install (of course, it is not.) The tech support people gave up and scheduled a field tech to come out 2 days later.

Late that night, after about 7 hours of dealing with this with no luck, I decided to email we_can_help @ cable.comcast.com, since some forum members here mysteriously suggested that they have had success by sending an email there. At 1 AM I received an email from a Comcast employee's Blackberry, apologizing for my experience and ensuring me he would look into it the following day. It seems that email address goes to high-level support group in Comcast Corporate in Philadelphia. The following day, that employee obtained the Host ID, Data, and Unit Address values from me so that he could configure it properly on Comcast's side.

Here's where it gets really interesting. It didn't work, even after he sent the proper signals to the card. When I got home from work that night, I had no choice but to keep the appointment with the field tech the following day.

Before the field tech arrived, the employee from Philadelphia called me and suggested I repeat Guided Setup and re-seat the M-Card in order to save some time with the field tech. When the field tech arrived, we had about 20 minutes left to go. The field tech was nice enough, joked about how no tech support has ever been able to get a cableCARD working in his experience, and he noted how he sometimes has to go through a half-dozen cards before even he can get one working. Yet - and this is the part that I still can't believe - HE DIDN'T EVEN HAVE ANY SPARE CARDS WITH HIM! (Yes, he even showed me his work order, which said in big bold letters "CABLECARD PAIRING ISSUE".) If the card I had was a dud, he would have to have his supervisor come out and bring him a card, and his supervisor was 2 hours away. He suggested he could leave and come back before 4pm, but I had to go to work until 5pm. The repeat of Guided Setup didn't work, and so the only thing the field tech did was schedule another appointment for me on the first available appointment that fit my work schedule - 4 days later.

I called the employee in Philadelphia and told him the story. He was livid that the tech showed up without any spare cards to troubleshoot the issue. He assured me he would get the problem fixed today for me, no matter what. I explained I wouldn't be home til about 5:30, and he said no problem.

On my way home, I got a phone call from another Comcast representative, who told me that they had found the configuration problem on their end. When I got home, sure enough, everything was working beautifully.

Interestingly, while their system indicated that my card was now properly paired with my Tivo, they actually had the wrong "head end" information in their system for my card. Essentially, the card provided to me was set to receive data from an area of Chicago in which I did not live.

I'm very thankful for this forum for having pointed me to that email address that put me in touch with someone who took ownership of the issue and ultimately got me up and running. Comcast clearly needs to improve training for their tech support staff, and they need to ensure that field techs arrive prepared to truly troubleshoot the calls to which they're deployed. However, Comcast still clearly has some dedicated employees who care about their customers and will see to it that they get the service they have purchased.

I hope that by sharing this story with the forum, others may benefit from the knowledge and not have to go through what I did.
jasonrene is offline   Reply With Quote