TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-25-2010, 10:29 AM   #2371
brettatk
If I Only Knew

Quote:
Originally Posted by doormat View Post
I would except for the TV its hooked up to is broke. I could unplug it to reset it but I don't like that idea...
Nothing wrong with unplugging the Tivo to reboot.
brettatk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 09:03 PM   #2372
stern_howie

Speed of transfer over a 100Mbps

I'm curious what your speed of transfer is when transferring from a Tivo to your PC.

I get about 10-12 Mbps from my series 2.....are you getting faster?
stern_howie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 09:14 PM   #2373
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by stern_howie View Post
I'm curious what your speed of transfer is when transferring from a Tivo to your PC.

I get about 10-12 Mbps from my series 2.....are you getting faster?
The highest I ever got was about 9.5 mbps over wireless from the THD to laptop (also wireless).

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 12:07 PM   #2374
astorm

Stuttering after first commercial break?

Hi,

I am new to Tivo. Just got a couple of Tivo HDs a few weeks ago.

I tried kmttg on season finales of Grey's and Lost and with both of them, the end results have some stuttering after the first commercial cut. I tried with hb_appletv and hb_iphone. I am running Mac 10.5.8.

Anyone can point me to any solutions?

Thanks!
astorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 09:02 AM   #2375
RedMan8

Error getting NPL

Hello KMTTG people!

I have a new premiere and kmttg has been working great until recently. A while back the webserver stopped responding, so I reboot. After the reboot, I started getting this error:
ERROR: curl: (52) Empty reply from server

The web interface worked fine, just the service mode was having a problem. Before I decided what to try next, the TiVo reboot itself. After it came back online everything started working fine again.

Today, the webserver stopped responding again. I send it a reset command before every run, but every once in a while it gets stuck and won't reset.

So I reboot the TiVo and it started giving me the same error as before. I manually reboot a second time, but I still get this error every time I start the auto transfers.

Any advice?
-RedMan
RedMan8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 01:13 PM   #2376
ferror

I reported a similar experience a few weeks ago:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=448491

No one else identified with me on it and I didn't fully understand the issue at the time. I wound up running kmttg thinking that it solves the problem. It doesn't. I was just lucky at that moment, in that whatever the issue seems to be with the web server on the Premiere went on hiatus. Kmttg communicates with the TiVo using the same web interface as TiVo Desktop.

I did end up stumbling upon a very cool tool in kmttg at any rate, but I have to mostly use it with my TiVo HDs since the Premiere will spontaneously reboot if I attempt to connect to it very many times.

I wonder if this problem will ever be identified and fixed? With the huge pile of other issues with the Premiere at the moment, it may be awhile.
ferror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 01:40 PM   #2377
RedMan8

That other thread sounds like exactly my issue!

My new premiere is from weaknees with 2T, and we've recently gotten it over 200 recordings. I don't think we'll ever have less than 200 again.

The web interface of pyTiVo can show the NPL just fine, but I noticed it pages it, so it only shows a small number of shows at a time.

I really hope something can be done. I've been using kmttg with my series 2 for months! And that always has hundreds of shows (also upgraded by weaknees.)

Maybe a future (soon) TiVo update will solve it!
ETA: I agree, it'll probably be a while.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:58 AM   #2378
RedMan8

I did make some progress... yesterday the webserver stopped responding completely (I tried too many times I'm sure.) So I finally reboot the TiVo. After it came back online, I stayed in the Now Playing List and didn't touch any web stuff.

This morning I just started KMTTG in service mode... and it's working again!

We have well over 200 shows (over 300 I think), but it's downloading stuff right now.

My new theory is that the webserver has to finish it's start-up stuff before you try to touch it. Maybe it takes longer for the housekeeping if you have lots of recorded shows??

Anyway... if it happens again I'm going to wait a while before trying any transfers, just like I did this time.

I did notice however... some of my shows are suddenly marked "do-not-copy"!! Some shows that I used to grab are now being skipped.

Old 06-01-2010, 11:50 AM   #2379
ferror

I have noticed that sometimes it seems to work fine and then other times I just can't get it to work. I never made the correlation that perhaps it occurs when you access the web interface shortly after a reboot, but it does make some sense. If for whatever reason I reboot the Premiere while I am working with kmttg, it is likely I will attempt to access it again shortly after it starts back up, and this would be when it is most likely to crash again. Therefore, I'll get into a cycle of reboot, try kmttg, crash, reboot, until I give up. Naturally, I want to get back to work on it rather than waiting, but I'll try waiting longer after rebooting to attempt anything through the web interface and see if I can duplicate your experience.
ferror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 06:02 PM   #2380
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeboy View Post
You're in luck! I just setup both pyTivo and kmttg at my Bro-In-Law's house last night.

kmttg is pretty straight forward. There's a great wiki with installation instructions for kmttg here: http://code.google.com/p/kmttg/w/list, as well as subsequent configuration instructions.

It's also recommended to incorporate VideoReDo Plus to "help" the process along. It can execute a "Quick Stream Fix" to smooth out any video glitches, and also be used to do the actual commercial editing in place of the supplied mencoder. A free 15 day trial version of VideoReDo can be found here: http://www.videoredo.com/en/index.htm.

I mentioned pyTivo earlier because it's a great app to get the commercial-cut program back to the TiVo for viewing. Awesome instructions for setting up pyTivo here: "Single Page of Install Instructions".

That should keep you busy for little awhile!
Thanks. I needed a good instruction manual for the pyTiVo installation. I had tried before to install it but had some issues. These instructions should allow me to get it installed and working properly. Thanks.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 08:25 PM   #2381
ellinj
Seems Very Friendly

Where is the documentation for custom jobs? I can't seem to find the list of substitution variables.
ellinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:11 PM   #2382
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellinj View Post
Where is the documentation for custom jobs? I can't seem to find the list of substitution variables.
In the configuration the "Available file args" cyclic field right below the "custom command" field shows the available file arguments you can use for the custom command, basically the following:
Code:
[tivoFile]
[metaFile]
[mpegFile]
[mpegFile_cut]
[srtFile]
[encodeFile]
Also, if your full path to custom command file contains spaces be sure to put double quotes around the whole file name.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 08:21 AM   #2383
moyekj

FYI. Looks like TiVo screwed up something temporarily which disables DVR name & TTG/MRV capabilities among other things (you also can't get list of shows from affected TiVos via https). One of my lifetime S3s was affected so it may be related to time of day your TiVo connected home yesterday or day before. See these other threads for examples:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=449855
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=449847
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=449896

A forced net connect seems to fix the issue if you run into the problem.

Last edited by moyekj : 06-02-2010 at 08:26 AM.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:33 PM   #2384
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
FYI. Looks like TiVo screwed up something temporarily which disables DVR name & TTG/MRV capabilities among other things (you also can't get list of shows from affected TiVos via https). One of my lifetime S3s was affected so it may be related to time of day your TiVo connected home yesterday or day before. See these other threads for examples:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=449855
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=449847
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=449896

A forced net connect seems to fix the issue if you run into the problem.

These seem to be the same issues I've been having on/off since since the premiere came out where I had issues with the naming of my boxes and transfer porblems because the Media Access key would disappear or change.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 10:02 AM   #2385
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
These seem to be the same issues I've been having on/off since since the premiere came out where I had issues with the naming of my boxes and transfer porblems because the Media Access key would disappear or change.
This is getting annoying. Now the same S3 that was having trouble does not advertise itself properly via Bonjour so my other S3 can't see it on the network for MRV purposes and pyTivo can't find it either. TTG currently does work though... I guess I'll try a net connect again to see if it resolves this.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:05 PM   #2386
orev

I'm a huge fan of kmttg. Thanks for all the great work on it.

I've been using it to download TDS and TCR and convert them to iPhone format using the handbrake profile for iphone. I've been doing this for a long time, but now this week the resulting files will add to iTunes but iTunes complains that they cannot be synced to the iphone. I've tried the ffmpeg profile, and it does work, but the files are much bigger due to mpeg4 vs h264 encoding.

Has anyone else seen this? I cannot think of anything that I have changed on the system. Same versions of itunes, iphone OS, etc...

Here is the ffmpeg output from the resulting file that doesn't work:
Quote:
Seems stream 0 codec frame rate differs from container frame rate: 59.94 (60000/1001) -> 29.97 (30000/1001)
Input #0, mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2, from 'The Daily Show With Jon Stewart.m4v':
Metadata:
major_brand : mp42
minor_version : 0
compatible_brands: mp42isomavc1
encoder : HandBrake 0.9.4 2009112300
Duration: 00:20:52.33, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 658 kb/s
Stream #0.0(und): Video: h264, yuv420p, 480x368, 526 kb/s, 29.94 fps, 29.97 tbr, 90k tbn, 59.94 tbc
Stream #0.1(und): Audio: aac, 48000 Hz, stereo, s16, 127 kb/s
This file does work:
Quote:
Seems stream 0 codec frame rate differs from container frame rate: 2997.00 (2997/1) -> 29.97 (2997/100)
Input #0, mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2, from 'The Daily Show With Jon Stewart.mp4':
Metadata:
major_brand : isom
minor_version : 512
compatible_brands: isomiso2mp41
encoder : Lavf52.46.0
Duration: 00:20:52.38, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 1593 kb/s
Stream #0.0(und): Video: mpeg4, yuv420p, 640x480 [PAR 1:1 DAR 4:3], 1451 kb/s, 29.94 fps, 29.97 tbr, 2997 tbn, 2997 tbc
Stream #0.1(und): Audio: aac, 48000 Hz, stereo, s16, 137 kb/s
At least one output file must be specified
I notice there's a discrepancy in the framerate, but unfortunately I don't have any of the files from back when it used to work correctly. Anyone have ideas?
Old 06-03-2010, 09:22 PM   #2387
moyekj

orev, try the following ff_ipod_h264 profile. Put that file under the "encode" folder of your kmttg installation.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:20 PM   #2388
orev

Quote:
orev, try the following ff_ipod_h264 profile. Put that file under the "encode" folder of your kmttg installation.
Nice. I had been trying to work out an h264 command line for ffmpeg, but finally gave up on it. The file that profile generated was absolutely huge though (3x the source file), but it did sync to the phone without issue.

Any idea on what parameters to use to reduce the bitrate? I'm trying -maxrate 250k -b 250k, but it doesn't seem to have any effect. The files are huge, as if the bitrate is being ignored completely.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:57 AM   #2389
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by orev View Post
Nice. I had been trying to work out an h264 command line for ffmpeg, but finally gave up on it. The file that profile generated was absolutely huge though (3x the source file), but it did sync to the phone without issue.

Any idea on what parameters to use to reduce the bitrate? I'm trying -maxrate 250k -b 250k, but it doesn't seem to have any effect. The files are huge, as if the bitrate is being ignored completely.
Ah yes I just realized that qmin & qmax are set way too low (lower => higher bitrate). Bump those numbers much higher say to 15-30 range and that should produce much smaller files.

I've updated ff_ipod_h264 profile to use -qmin 15 -qmax 20. If you want even smaller files make them like 20 & 25 or keep going as high as you can tolerate the quality hit.

EDIT: I updated profile again to remove the -bufsize restriction.

Last edited by moyekj : 06-04-2010 at 05:02 PM.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:58 PM   #2390
orev

Quote:
Ah yes I just realized that qmin & qmax are set way too low (lower => higher bitrate). Bump those numbers much higher say to 15-30 range and that should produce much smaller files.

I've updated ff_ipod_h264 profile to use -qmin 15 -qmax 20. If you want even smaller files make them like 20 & 25 or keep going as high as you can tolerate the quality hit.

EDIT: I updated profile again to remove the -bufsize restriction.
I see that the docs say:
`-maxrate bitrate'
Set max video bitrate (in bit/s). Requires -bufsize to be set.
so I'd guess that's needed since you're also using maxrate?

I played with the settings more and settled on -qmin 25 -qmax 30 -b 250k. I'm going for passable video, which this produces (good enough for a talk show on such a small screen).

However, I now notice an issue with the audio. It seems the handbrake aac codec is much better as I could push it down to 112k and it sounded just fine. ffmpeg however doesn't sound nearly the same until 256k. I'm thinking it might have something to do with how it's processing the stereo channels, but I don't see any controls for that in the ffmpeg docs. I've searched around but don't seem to be hitting the right keywords. Any ideas?
Old 06-09-2010, 12:27 AM   #2391
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by orev View Post
However, I now notice an issue with the audio. It seems the handbrake aac codec is much better as I could push it down to 112k and it sounded just fine. ffmpeg however doesn't sound nearly the same until 256k. I'm thinking it might have something to do with how it's processing the stereo channels, but I don't see any controls for that in the ffmpeg docs. I've searched around but don't seem to be hitting the right keywords. Any ideas?
ffmpeg switched to their own aac codec because of some GPL issue with libfaac which IMO was better, and in fact in most recent ffmpeg builds their own aac codec is listed as experimental. If 256k sounds good then stick with that - compared to video size it shouldn't affect total file size much. Now that one of my kids has an iPod Touch I was actually able to test out some encoding profiles and got the hb_ipod and hb_iphone profiles working properly and they will be part of next release. In case you want to go back to Handbrake 0.9.4 here they are (they both sync fine to the iPod Touch with obviously iPhone profile looking better but creating bigger file):

hb_iphone.enc
Code:
# Description (single line, keep short)
<description>
Handbrake iPhone: mp4 container, res x=480 h.264 video, aac audio

# Encode command or script (single line)
# Known keywords: FFMPEG, MENCODER, HANDBRAKE, PERL, INPUT, OUTPUT, PWD, CPU_CORES, SRTFILE
<command>
HANDBRAKE -i INPUT --cpu CPU_CORES -t 1 -c 1 -f mp4 -X 480 -e x264 -q 20 -a 1 -E faac -B 128 -R 48 -6 dpl2 -D 0.0 -x level=30:cabac=0:ref=2:me=umh:bframes=0:subq=6:8x8dct=0:trellis=0:weightb=0 -v 1 -o OUTPUT

# Encoded output file extension
<extension>
m4v
hb_ipod.enc
Code:
# Description (single line, keep short)
<description>
Handbrake iPod: mp4 container, res x=320 h.264 video, aac audio

# Encode command or script (single line)
# Known keywords: FFMPEG, MENCODER, HANDBRAKE, PERL, INPUT, OUTPUT, PWD, CPU_CORES, SRTFILE
<command>
HANDBRAKE -i INPUT --cpu CPU_CORES -t 1 -c 1 -f mp4 -I -X 320 -e x264 -b 700 -a 1 -E faac -B 160 -R 48 -6 dpl2 -D 0.0 -x level=30:bframes=0:cabac=0:ref=2:vbv-maxrate=768:vbv-bufsize=2000:analyse=all:me=umh:no-fast-pskip=1:subq=6:8x8dct=0:trellis=0:weightb=0:mixed-refs=0 -v 1 -o OUTPUT

# Encoded output file extension
<extension>
m4v

Old 06-10-2010, 09:13 PM   #2392
orev

Those profiles worked great for handbrake. Thanks for your great work on all of this!
Old 06-11-2010, 08:44 AM   #2393
moyekj

v0p7l version just released

This release was focused on updating ffmpeg & handbrake ipod & iphone encoding profiles as well as some new features and implementation of user requests and contributions. There is now a Run AtomicParsley button available in FILES tab to be able to explicitly run AtomicParsley jobs to add information from pyTivo metadata files to mp4/m4v files.

Consult release notes for details:
http://code.google.com/p/kmttg/wiki/release_notes

Old 06-13-2010, 06:35 PM   #2394
alan2k

Empty Reply from Server

I have 2 Tivo HD's & 1 Tivo Series3. One of the Tivo HD's is now giving me "Empty reply from server" using kmttg. TivoDesktop of course does not work also. I have restarted and cold rebooted the Tivo box. I have rebooted the PC and upgraded to the latest version of kmttg. I have issued a reset web server. Still getting the error.

Any one got any suggestions?

Love kmttg! but this one is frustrating!

Alan
alan2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 07:40 PM   #2395
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan2k View Post
I have 2 Tivo HD's & 1 Tivo Series3. One of the Tivo HD's is now giving me "Empty reply from server" using kmttg. TivoDesktop of course does not work also. I have restarted and cold rebooted the Tivo box. I have rebooted the PC and upgraded to the latest version of kmttg. I have issued a reset web server. Still getting the error.

Any one got any suggestions?

Love kmttg! but this one is frustrating!

Alan
Could be that TiVo screwed up your account settings as recently happened to me. Go to TiVo Central-Messages&Settings-Account&System Information and make sure your DVR has a name and that TiVoToGo is set to a,a,a. If DVR name is not there then that's the problem. That is what happened to one of my lifetime TiVos. To fix that do a net connect until DVR name is set. You may have to login to tivo.com and change DVR Preferences, Save, Net Connect, change back, net connect etc. to toggle it.
You can then test if things are working by using:
https://<TiVoIP>

Old 06-14-2010, 02:11 PM   #2396
richklein

Hi,

Everything was working fine & I was pulling a few movies off my premiere. I get the following error now (it does pull the .tivo file):

Code:
A flashy new action hero's arrival creates upset in a community of toys that comes to life when people are absent. Animated. 
SKIPPING METADATA GENERATION, FILE ALREADY EXISTS: H:\Pytivo\Toy Story (06_13_2010).mpg.txt
SKIPPING DOWNLOAD, FILE ALREADY EXISTS: H:\Pytivo\Toy Story (06_13_2010).TiVo
SKIPPING DECRYPT, FILE ALREADY EXISTS: H:\Pytivo\Toy Story (06_13_2010).mpg
>> Running qsfix on H:\Pytivo\Toy Story (06_13_2010).mpg ...
C:\Windows\system32\cscript.exe //nologo C:\Users\Rich\AppData\Local\Temp\VRD5263618563472574891.vbs "H:\Pytivo\Toy Story (06_13_2010).mpg" "H:\Pytivo\Toy Story (06_13_2010).mpg.qsfix" /l:C:\Users\Rich\AppData\Local\Temp\VRDLock6056864206170689011.tmp 
qsfix failed (exit code: 3 ) - check command: C:\Windows\system32\cscript.exe //nologo C:\Users\Rich\AppData\Local\Temp\VRD5263618563472574891.vbs "H:\Pytivo\Toy Story (06_13_2010).mpg" "H:\Pytivo\Toy Story (06_13_2010).mpg.qsfix" /l:C:\Users\Rich\AppData\Local\Temp\VRDLock6056864206170689011.tmp 
? Unable to open file/project: H:\Pytivo\Toy Story (06_13_2010).mpg
Any idea why I cant make a mpg now?

Thanks,
RIch
richklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 02:30 PM   #2397
moyekj

richklein, what's the size of the .mpg file? Is it very small or empty? Sounds like perhaps the decrypt step may have failed. You should also check the .TiVo file size to see if that is very small or empty as well indicating a previous download failed. (Latest versions of kmttg have better checks for failed downloads so if not already using latest version of kmttg would recommed you do so).
If either .TiVo or .mpg files are very small then you should remove them and start over with this title.

Old 06-14-2010, 02:35 PM   #2398
richklein

Im not running the latest version. Do I just download & unzip over the old version?

My file sizes are over 10gb so i think its getting the right .tivo file.

EDIT: I did install the latest version & I copied my config.ini file over & I ended up with:

>> Running qsfix on H:\Pytivo\Toy Story (06_13_2010).mpg ...
C:\Windows\system32\cscript.exe //nologo C:\Users\Rich\AppData\Local\Temp\VRD5701556855928452129.vbs "H:\Pytivo\Toy Story (06_13_2010).mpg" "H:\Pytivo\Toy Story (06_13_2010).mpg.qsfix" /l:C:\Users\Rich\AppData\Local\Temp\VRDLock880543025292224307 7.tmp
qsfix failed (exit code: 3 ) - check command: C:\Windows\system32\cscript.exe //nologo C:\Users\Rich\AppData\Local\Temp\VRD5701556855928452129.vbs "H:\Pytivo\Toy Story (06_13_2010).mpg" "H:\Pytivo\Toy Story (06_13_2010).mpg.qsfix" /l:C:\Users\Rich\AppData\Local\Temp\VRDLock880543025292224307 7.tmp
? Unable to open file/project: H:\Pytivo\Toy Story (06_13_2010).mpg

Last edited by richklein : 06-14-2010 at 02:42 PM.
richklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 03:38 PM   #2399
moyekj

Well the key error message from VideoRedo is the following:
"Unable to open file/project: H:\Pytivo\Toy Story (06_13_2010).mpg"
So VideoRedo in COM (batch) mode apparently does not have read access to the file.

What is the H: volume? Is it external drive or a network share? Are you able to open that file using VideoRedo GUI? If it's a network share then try specifying using UNC syntax instead of using volume in kmttg output dir config. i.e. following syntax
\\server\share

Old 06-14-2010, 08:57 PM   #2400
bluefoggyday

Arrow curl: (7) Couldn't connect

Hi,

Trying this out for the first time and can't get it to work. I keep getting the error below. I know the MAK ID is right and I got the IP from the TiVo itself (10.0.1.2). Not sure what I'm doing wrong. It won't let me post links so I had to remove parts of the error.

Refreshing encoding profiles
>> Getting Now Playing List from Living Room ...
/usr/bin/curl --anyauth --globoff --user tivo:MAK --insecure --cookie-jar /tmp/cookie7640648564336273834.tmp --//10.0.1.2/TiVoConnect?Command=QueryContainer&Container=/NowPlaying&Recurse=Yes&AnchorOffset=0[/] --output /tmp/NPL6758596382765385761.tmp
No rows selected
Failed to retrieve Now Playing List from Living Room
Exit code: 7
Check YOUR MAK & IP settings

curl: (7) couldn't connect to host
bluefoggyday is offline   Reply With Quote