TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-23-2010, 11:15 PM   #151
Shaunnick

I am am both happy and sad. I am really going to miss these people. I am sure a lot of people are going to be upset that the alterno timeline was a post death universe but I was happy to see everypne together there at the end. I loved seeing all of the couples finally being able to be together. After all of the hell they went through on the island they all deserved some happiness.
Shaunnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:15 PM   #152
Mike Wells

From the last official lost podcast, one of the producers, "Polarizing is a good thing, right?"
Old 05-23-2010, 11:17 PM   #153
Dancar

Not to rain on anyone's party, but I stopped watching after two episodes, but my wife is upstairs watching the West Coast feed as I write this. I'm kinda glad I wasn't watching all this time, as I'd want the weird stuff about the island to come together and make sense.

One other thing that hasn't been said here yet, what does the sequence of numbers mean?
Dancar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:17 PM   #154
rlc1
Frakking idiot

Awful - just awful. Not a single question answered in this episode.

What exactly is the smoke monster?
What is the light on the island?
What exactly would have happened to the world if the Man In Black had escaped the island? Clearly since he could be (and was) killed like any normal man after Desmond turned off the light, his leaving couldn't have affected anything.

The sideways reality - meaningless. Who cares about some fantasy/purgatory reality that happened after everyone died? What does that add to the experience of the characters? Nothing.

The only thing this ending did is make me feel a little better about how badly Battlestar Galactica ended - because at least it wasn't as bad as this.
rlc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:17 PM   #155
Sparty99

OK, I have not been involved in any of these threads because a lot of them are way over my head, but the one thing I hate in this one is the whole, "They made it up as they went along" complaint. Who cares? Honestly, how many TV shows go on the air knowing how it's going to end? Any of them? Did you watch the Lost pilot saying, "Well, I hope they know how this is going to end"? If so, well, get a life.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sparty99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:18 PM   #156
Mike Wells

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleboy View Post
How did Jack get out the hole?
Midichlorians.
Old 05-23-2010, 11:18 PM   #157
JMikeD

I'd have to say I thought it was a satisfactory ending. I'm going to miss the show.

I said it as a joke, but I posted that Vincent was going to have the last line in the series on the thread discussing it quite a while ago, and I called it! Woof.

Mike
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:18 PM   #158
DeathOrDeath

So, they all died in the crash?
And everything after that was dream/alternate?
DeathOrDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:18 PM   #159
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleboy View Post
How did Jack get out the hole?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Wells View Post
I thought it was the same as when the MIB got smoke-ified, except he was still alive. The scenes looked similar, except Jack wasn't dead yet and didn't have a smoke monster come out of him. I'm guessing he just got blasted out somehow. Or "island magic."
Yep. Pretty sure he ended up in the same place as the Man in Black did.

This one needs to sit a bit, but overall I think I am satisfied. It was kind of beautiful (and a nice payoff) how they all turned out to be each others' constants.

In a minor touch, I like how the flash-sideways sound turned out to be the sound of the Ajira plane flying overhead as it left the island.
cmontyburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:19 PM   #160
Freshman JS
Blue Devil - x2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathOrDeath View Post
no
Old 05-23-2010, 11:19 PM   #161
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
no
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:19 PM   #162
fliptheflop

Quote:
Watch it again.

Listen to Jack's dad. He said some died before Jack and some died after. In the sideways they all needed their constant or a reminder of everything that happened to them.
fliptheflop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:21 PM   #163
DeathOrDeath

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlc1 View Post
The only thing this ending did is make me feel a little better about how badly Battlestar Galactica ended - because at least it wasn't as bad as this.

Total agreement.

I called it a year ago that the show would end with a closeup of an eye.
Other than that, I had no clue.

2 1/2 hours, at least an hour of commercials, and just a terrible ending.
DeathOrDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:21 PM   #164
pjenkins
God bless Texas :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Wells View Post
Midichlorians.

pjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:23 PM   #165
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlc1 View Post
Awful - just awful. Not a single question answered in this episode.

What exactly is the smoke monster?
What is the light on the island?
What exactly would have happened to the world if the Man In Black had escaped the island? Clearly since he could be (and was) killed like any normal man after Desmond turned off the light, his leaving couldn't have affected anything.

The sideways reality - meaningless. Who cares about some fantasy/purgatory reality that happened after everyone died? What does that add to the experience of the characters? Nothing.

I really liked the BSG ending.

I liked the LOST ending too.
Old 05-23-2010, 11:24 PM   #166
Demandred
RPSLS Champion

My problem with the way the story was resolved is that it makes everything about the "Flash Sideways" universe pointless. Why are Sun and Jin not married? Why is Nadia married to Sayid's brother? Why does Jack have a son? Why is the po-po after Kate this time?

A ton of other questions, and none of it meant anything. Why would their version of purgatory be a world where the island is under water starting in the 1970's? If they created this purgatory for themselves, why make it different from the reality of the show?
Old 05-23-2010, 11:24 PM   #167
zync
Long live TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Not revising anything. Don't need to, I loved the ride. You're looking for something that's not there. You won't be happy.
I disagree here. If you go back to the first few seasons, which I'd admit was before the characters were developed, the island WAS the story. Everything that we loved about lost was wrapped up in the island's story. Then, over time, the characters became well developed and their stories took focus. But that doesn't mean that the island's story, or the need to tell it, went away.

The writers spent most of this season creating, and then explaining, a new story which was did little to advance the story from the first 5 seasons. This was my disappointment - so much time was spent on this new story that could have been spent on answering the original story, that when these questions remained unanswered one feels cheated.

So in short, the feeling of fulfillment I have comes from the answering of this season's side story. The feeling of disappointment comes from the failure to answer the story of the first 5 seasons.
Old 05-23-2010, 11:25 PM   #168
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
May as well have been.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:26 PM   #169
Cindy1230
Cuteness overload

Just posting for the official tivo forum record- loved it and never went through a box of tissues within a 2.5 hour period so fast.

It may just be me - but I found it satisfying for someone who has experience a lot of loss and grief. That's all that you want in the world, to be able to be reunited with lost loved ones, in some capacity - via a dream, heaven, or whatever you believe in.

Last edited by Cindy1230 : 05-23-2010 at 11:33 PM.
Cindy1230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:26 PM   #170
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zync View Post
I disagree here. If you go back to the first few seasons, which I'd admit was before the characters were developed, the island WAS the story. Everything that we loved about lost was wrapped up in the island's story. Then, over time, the characters became well developed and their stories took focus. But that doesn't mean that the island's story, or the need to tell it, went away.

The writers spent most of this season creating, and then explaining, a new story which was did little to advance the story from the first 5 seasons. This was my disappointment - so much time was spent on this new story that could have been spent on answering the original story, that when these questions remained unanswered one feels cheated.

So in short, the feeling of fulfillment I have comes from the answering of this season's side story. The feeling of disappointment comes from the failure to answer the story of the first 5 seasons.
BUt I guess the real point is they got you to watch it.
Old 05-23-2010, 11:27 PM   #171
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

Loved all but that last 10 minutes. That I am still digesting and have not made up my mind about.
Old 05-23-2010, 11:28 PM   #172
mostman

I don't get the hate. You can't look at the small details and say things like, "What about the time the sand was blue?! Huh?! What say you?!"

it doesn't matter. The show was about bigger things. It was about the journey. The whole last season was about the island finding a new protector and the Losties finding themselves after death. Seriously. Anything else was window dressing.

Lost. A bunch of broken people crash on an island. They are not the first to end up there. The island has a seriously odd mythology. There is a protector on the island, keeping humans from destroying it. There is also a monster. The bunch of people join together to fix eachother and survive. The island screws with them every chance it gets. Its magic. They have many adventures. They create such a bond, that they must enter Heaven as a group. The End.
mostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:28 PM   #173
zync
Long live TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
BUt I guess the real point is they got you to watch it.
AND they pulled something off that is nearly impossible - they got me to watch something live, and with commercials! I guess they win in the end
Old 05-23-2010, 11:29 PM   #174
Fool Me Twice
<<<<>>>>>>>>>>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui View Post
Loved all but that last 10 minutes. That I am still digesting and have not made up my mind about.
Yeah, I'm still struggling with it too.
Fool Me Twice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:29 PM   #175
fliptheflop

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostman View Post
I don't get the hate. You can't look at the small details and say things like, "What about the time the sand was blue?! Huh?! What say you?!"

it doesn't matter. The show was about bigger things. It was about the journey. The whole last season was about the island finding a new protector and the Losties finding themselves after death. Seriously. Anything else was window dressing.

Lost. A bunch of broken people crash on an island. They are not the first to end up there. The island has a seriously odd mythology. There is a protector on the island, keeping humans from destroying it. There is also a monster. The bunch of people join together to fix eachother and survive. The island screws with them every chance it gets. Its magic. They have many adventures. They create such a bond, that they must enter Heaven as a group. The End.
+1
fliptheflop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:30 PM   #176
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zync View Post
AND they pulled something off that is nearly impossible - they got me to watch something live, and with commercials! I guess they win in the end
Well I caught up to the live feed around 10PM but when a commercial came around I paused it and did something else and came back to continue watching after a few minutes. I'm not going to watch commercials for any TV show, no matter how much I like it.
Old 05-23-2010, 11:32 PM   #177
Cainebj

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostman View Post
It's also fitting that they used a stopper in the well - a reference back to the wine bottle analogy.
A thing is a phallic symbol if it's longer than it's wide.

Jack has a big one.
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:32 PM   #178
Fool Me Twice
<<<<>>>>>>>>>>

Snakes On A Plane 2: Electric Boogaloo
Fool Me Twice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:33 PM   #179
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fool Me Twice View Post
Yeah, I'm still struggling with it too.
I'm not saying it was bad, but that i am just not sure how satisfying it was for me personally.
Old 05-23-2010, 11:34 PM   #180
Johnny Dancing
Closet Rebel

Quote:
Yes. Jack came out of the jungle toward the beach after waking immediately after the crash and then laid down and died, that is how the story ends. In the pilot he comes out of the jungle thinking he is alive and starts saving dead people and that is how the story begins.

It was sad when they showed the real wreckage and there were no survivors.

The Island was a purgatory were the dead from many different crashes and wrecks over the years tried to figure out what the heck was going on. The light was what your supposed to go in when you die. They did not know they were dead and that is why they were so interested in the light and energy. That is all I can explain for now. Bedtime.

I'll miss Lost. Best network drama ever.
Johnny Dancing is offline   Reply With Quote